ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:43 AM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

FCC ends the "local studio rule"

One of the things that has apparently slipped through the cracks while we were distracted by manufactured controversies is that Trump's FCC has eliminated the requirement that broadcasters with licenses in communities have an actual studio presence in the community they broadcast to.

This eliminates one of the last measures by which communities have some input and control over their media outlets. This move makes it easer to implement its "central studio" scheme, where local reporters feed their material to Sinclair's central location for editing and presentation by a "local" personality (who is also at the central location nowhere near the city in question).

This scary development furthers the ability of one media entity to control the editorial direction of the news while pretending that local citizens have some measure of influence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.44e11897b48f
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 09:32 AM   #2
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
One of the things that has apparently slipped through the cracks while we were distracted by manufactured controversies is that Trump's FCC has eliminated the requirement that broadcasters with licenses in communities have an actual studio presence in the community they broadcast to.

This eliminates one of the last measures by which communities have some input and control over their media outlets. This move makes it easer to implement its "central studio" scheme, where local reporters feed their material to Sinclair's central location for editing and presentation by a "local" personality (who is also at the central location nowhere near the city in question).

This scary development furthers the ability of one media entity to control the editorial direction of the news while pretending that local citizens have some measure of influence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.44e11897b48f
So? It is more efficient.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
So would one company owning all media outlets. Democracy isn't about efficiency.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 11:23 AM   #4
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
So would one company owning all media outlets. Democracy isn't about efficiency.
No one requires you to listen to that one media outlet.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Spindrift

No one requires you to listen to that one media outlet.
Yes they do.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:03 PM   #6
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Yes they do.
I must have missed my mandatory "consume x media at this time for this long" requirement. I don't think I'm meeting it then.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Spindrift

I must have missed my mandatory "consume x media at this time for this long" requirement. I don't think I'm meeting it then.
Better catch up.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:44 PM   #8
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Better catch up.
Is it because the podcasts I listen to are on the list?
Old 14th November 2017, 12:45 PM   #9
Spindrift

Is it because the podcasts I listen to are on the list?
Podcasts don't fall under the FCC.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:46 PM   #10
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Podcasts don't fall under the FCC.
Then that means I am not required to listen to media source X. I don't listen to media source X.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Spindrift

Then that means I am not required to listen to media source X. I don't listen to media source X.
No, not at all.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:50 PM   #12
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

No, not at all.
Then where a m I required to listen to "that one media outlet"?
Old 14th November 2017, 01:07 PM   #13
Spindrift

Then where a m I required to listen to "that one media outlet"?
Everywhere.
Old 14th November 2017, 01:08 PM   #14
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Without a doubt we are long past the time when this 1939 rule is useful for it's intended purpose. It's entire purpose was giving the public an opportunity to show up in person and make a timely complaint or read the public documents required by the FCC. The ubiquity of telephones, the rise of email and other communications mediums and the availability of the required documents via public web sites has replaced the need to travel to a local station.

If the rule had been about requiring local staff so that the local citizens were best represented by the station then I'd have a major problem with the rule being terminated.

Just like all during the past 78 years, if local citizens are unhappy with a local station they need to complain and if the complaint is not addressed vote with their feet. If the majority of the public stops watching/listening, the advertisers will stop advertising and somebody else can pick up the listeners and advertisers on another station.

Myself I stopped listening/watching to local stations many years ago when they all became more infotainment than news. Now I only read local newspapers, web sites and listen to local news on public broadcasting stations where serving the local public interest has always been their mission.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 01:26 PM   #15
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Everywhere.
Ubiquity is not synonymous with requirement.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 14th November 2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 14th November 2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Spindrift

Sure it is.
Old 14th November 2017, 01:36 PM   #17
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Then you have only one editorial "voice", take it or have nothing. That's not good for society, and FCC regs (currently unenforced but still on the books) require that broadcasters making us of the peoples' airwaves (broadcast spectra are public property) operate "in the public interest".
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 01:37 PM   #18
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Try "monopoly". Capitalists are supposed to be against that, aren't they?
Old 14th November 2017, 01:45 PM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

unless it means more profit.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 01:47 PM   #20
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a provision for local stations to continue their responsibilities as part of the Emergency Broadcast System. If I'm a local emergency manager or fire chief, can I call and activate that system for the stations in my area?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 01:49 PM   #21
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Then you have only one editorial "voice", take it or have nothing. That's not good for society, and FCC regs (currently unenforced but still on the books) require that broadcasters making us of the peoples' airwaves (broadcast spectra are public property) operate "in the public interest".
I seem to be consuming a lot of editorial voices outside fcc regulation.
Old 14th November 2017, 01:50 PM   #22
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I oppose all anti competitive regulations.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:25 PM   #23
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

I oppose all anti competitive regulations.
Then you should oppose media consolidation, which stifles both economic and PoV competition via monopoly.

Again, the airwaves are public property. Media companies only license the privilege to use them under specified conditions.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:27 PM   #24
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Is there a provision for local stations to continue their responsibilities as part of the Emergency Broadcast System. If I'm a local emergency manager or fire chief, can I call and activate that system for the stations in my area?
AFAIK there wasn't any mention of that issue as it wasn't the focus of the article. IIRC the EBS is an override from an outside feed at the transmitter level, so it's possible it wouldn't be affected
Old 14th November 2017, 05:30 PM   #25
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Then you should oppose media consolidation, which stifles both economic and PoV competition via monopoly.

Again, the airwaves are public property. Media companies only license the privilege to use them under specified conditions.
I think you misread what I said. I said I oppose any regulation intended to raise competition or prevent business practices to limit competition.

I also oppose public ownership.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 14th November 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 14th November 2017, 06:56 PM   #26
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

I think you misread what I said. I said I oppose any regulation intended to raise competition or prevent business practices to limit competition.

I also oppose public ownership.
Why? How do you determine who gets broadcast spectra? There has to be reasonable regulation or everyone would just plop down transmitters and start broadcasting however they chose, which would lead to chaos as signals clashed, rival networks tried to overpower one another, and the whole point of the exercise was overwhelmed in excess competition.

Further, how would you determine whose property they were? Who is the authorized seller?

The best ownership of public resources is the public. It's the only way to ensure that the "rules of the road" are obeyed so that the maximum public benefit is achieved.

This move is one more step down the road to a purely propagandistic media. One voice on TV, radio, and paper. No competing voices allowed. He who has the most money wins.

That's not good for a shared society.
Old 14th November 2017, 06:57 PM   #27
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Why? How do you determine who gets broadcast spectra? There has to be reasonable regulation or everyone would just plop down transmitters and start broadcasting however they chose, which would lead to chaos as signals clashed, rival networks tried to overpower one another,.
Government has no role in making life better. This is just a cost of man's individual sovereignty we must bear.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:01 PM   #28
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Government has no role in making life better. This is just a cost of man's individual sovereignty we must bear.
Government does have a roll in making sure one man doesn't roll over everyone in his path to get what he wants regardless of how it affects them. That's the whole point of laws that regulate traffic, for example, or prohibit you from dumping toxic waste into whatever place is most convenient/profitable for you without care for the people it affects, etc.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:03 PM   #29
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Government does have a roll in making sure one man doesn't roll over everyone in his path to get what he wants regardless of how it affects them. That's the whole point of laws that regulate traffic, for example, or prohibit you from dumping toxic waste into whatever place is most convenient/profitable for you without care for the people it affects, etc.
I don't think government has a role in anything you just described.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:09 PM   #30
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

I don't think government has a role in anything you just described.
Ok, now I know you're just trolling. Without those laws, what is to stop someone from running you down on the roads, or from dumping toxic crap where YOU live?

Even Libertarians acknowledge that the right to swing arms stops where anothers' body starts and that there needs to be someone to enforce that if needed.

And you still haven't said how to establish ownership to begin with? Who owns spectra? Or air? Or water? They simply exist. No man made them.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:20 PM   #31
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Ok, now I know you're just trolling. Without those laws, what is to stop someone from running you down on the roads, or from dumping toxic crap where YOU live?

Even Libertarians acknowledge that the right to swing arms stops where anothers' body starts and that there needs to be someone to enforce that if needed.

And you still haven't said how to establish ownership to begin with? Who owns spectra? Or air? Or water? They simply exist. No man made them.
In the case of roads, it is private ownership of who builds the roads. Government roads are illegitimate and would be free for all's. Same for the spectrum.

I'm not a consequentialist libertarian. I'm a deontological libertarian. Of course the consequences are bad.that isn't the point.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:28 PM   #32
xjx388
Philosopher

The local community still has all the control: they control the TVs. If the broadcast stations want to keep local customers, then they have to satisfy those customers. Nobody has to support/watch a broadcast they don’t like. I can tell you that if my local stations became what you fear the most, I would 1)Cease watching what little locally produced content I currently watch and 2)More importantly, stop the little advertising I do.

Can someone point to a market where this is an actual problem or is this just a “could potentially be a problem” kind of thing? It seems to me that small-market broadcast stations are already struggling because more and more people are choosing to get their content from cable/satellite/streaming. If people don’t want locally-produced stuff anymore, then why should stations be forced to provide an unwanted product?
Old 14th November 2017, 07:40 PM   #33
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

In the case of roads, it is private ownership of who builds the roads. Government roads are illegitimate and would be free for all's. Same for the spectrum.

I'm not a consequentialist libertarian. I'm a deontological libertarian. Of course the consequences are bad.that isn't the point.
Well you live in the same society as the rest of us and we have rights and interests as well that can and should be protected. Once your deontological libertarianism affects us we reserve the right to tell you to knock it off.

And that is why we need government regulation of some things.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:43 PM   #34
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Can someone point to a market where this is an actual problem or is this just a “could potentially be a problem” kind of thing? It seems to me that small-market broadcast stations are already struggling because more and more people are choosing to get their content from cable/satellite/streaming. If people don’t want locally-produced stuff anymore, then why should stations be forced to provide an unwanted product?
It might be a point if the actual local stations were going out of business. But it's another thing entirely when outsiders come in and buy things up.

And that doesn't change the importance of having a variety of ownership to provide the broadest possible spectrum of views and voices. It's in the FCC regs and mission.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:46 PM   #35
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Well you live in the same society as the rest of us and we have rights and interests as well that can and should be protected. Once your deontological libertarianism affects us we reserve the right to tell you to knock it off.

And that is why we need government regulation of some things.
Countries in the middle East have the power to subjugate and abuse women. Doesn't make it their right.
Old 14th November 2017, 08:44 PM   #36
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes it is very efficient at controlling the message that the public gets. They only have one source to listen to, one point of view, that way The Party controls public opinion.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 08:46 PM   #37
xjx388
Philosopher

It might be a point if the actual local stations were going out of business. But it's another thing entirely when outsiders come in and buy things up.
. If the local stations are prospering, why would they ever sell to outsiders?

Quote:
And that doesn't change the importance of having a variety of ownership to provide the broadest possible spectrum of views and voices. It's in the FCC regs and mission.
Why exactly is that important. What if no one is listening to this “spectrum of views and voices;” i.e. tuning in?
Old 14th November 2017, 09:40 PM   #38
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Yes it is very efficient at controlling the message that the public gets. They only have one source to listen to, one point of view, that way The Party controls public opinion.
Am I not part of the public? I listen to many different points of view.
Old 14th November 2017, 10:13 PM   #39
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Am I not part of the public? I listen to many different points of view.
Not after Sinclair buys all the media.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 10:23 PM   #40
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Not after Sinclair buys all the media.
They are not buying the sources I listen to. There are more sources of information out there than one individual can even hope to consume. The internet seems to render Sinclair's reach moot.

Plus, not consuming is a legitimate option.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics