ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Old 13th December 2019, 12:33 AM   #441
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I agree. I just like to be accurate.

That has cheered us all up! Thanks for the humour.
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake

Last edited by Vixen; 13th December 2019 at 12:38 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 03:51 AM   #442
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That has cheered us all up! Thanks for the humour.
Would you like to explain how my post re Donnino wasn't accurate?

Speaking of being accurate, or in your case, inaccurate, let's take a walk down memory lane for some of your greatest hits:

There was no grid under Filomena's window.
Dr. Sollecito attended Rocco Sollecito's memorial in Bari.
Raffaele is left-handed.
Raffaele had a Napapijri jacket.
Raffaele had a white cap with a red stripe.
Amanda took a private chartered jet home to Seattle.
Amanda had sex on a train.
The officer who collected the knife from Raffaele's kitchen knew the size of the major wound.
Popovich's mother was close friend of Raffaele's mother.
The theft charges of the credit cards and money were dropped, not adjudicated.
Raffaele and Gumble made a deal with Mignini that they would admit they they had lied in the book and make a public apology.
Amanda claimed she was 'beaten up' by the police.
Amanda and Raffaele bought drugs the night of the murder so stole Meredith's rent money to pay the dealer.
Kemo sabe is slang for "understand?".
DNA is a protein.
Knox was bleeding 'profusely'.
There is no such thing as tertiary transfer of DNA.
There was a $2 million mega PR campaign as claimed by Curt Knox standing on some stairs somewhere easily found on the internet.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:53 AM   #443
Numbers
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Stacyhs, thanks for the correction. I should perhaps have written "police agent" or "police employee", which would have been more correct. In some of the questioning of Knox prior to Nov. 5/6, some of the police officers had indeed served as English interpreters when Knox was questioned.

Although Donnino was not a police officer in terms of having the authority to arrest someone (I presume she did not have that authority), she was an employee, in her job as English interpreter, of the police and thus an agent of the Italian State. Donnino acted, as she testified, as a "mediator" rather than only as an "interpreter"; that is, she played a "good cop" during the Nov. 5/6 interrogation.

The Boninsegna court motivation report apparently refers to Donnino as one of the "auxiliary personnel" of the police on page 21 of the translation. On page 20, the Boninsegna MR states: "But also the totally inappropriate choice of the interpreters was irregular. They were chosen among members of the personnel of the Central Police Station of Perugia and, hence, people who were necessarily in a condition of understandable professional kinship with their colleagues who were performing the murder investigation."

The final ECHR judgment states:

"131. En outre, la Cour ne saurait négliger, d’une part, la confusion des
rôles ayant caractérisé l’activité de l’interprète A.D., qui agissait à la fois en tant que « médiatrice », ce qui n’était aucunement requis dans le cadre de sa fonction....

132. D’autre part, elle note que R.I., un agent de police, avait pris la
requérante dans ses bras, l’avait caressée et avait pris ses mains dans les
siennes, adoptant ainsi un comportement clairement déplacé, notamment
lorsque l’on considère que, dans le contexte ainsi décrit, la requérante a
formulé des accusations par la suite qualifiées de calomnieuses et ayant
mené à sa condamnation....

133. De l’avis de la Cour, ces comportements, fournissant des
informations quant au contexte général dans lequel l’audition de la
requérante a eu lieu, auraient dû alerter les autorités nationales quant à la
possible atteinte au respect de la dignité de la requérante et à sa capacité
d’autodétermination."

Google translation:

"131. Moreover, the Court can not overlook, on the one hand, the confusion of
the role of the interpreter A.D., who acted also as a "mediator", which was not required in the context of her function....

132. On the other hand, [the Court] notes that R.I., a police officer, had taken
the applicant in his arms, caressed her and took her hands in his own, adopting clearly inappropriate behavior, in particular considering that, in the context so described, the applicant had made accusations later described as a malicious false accusation {calunnia} and led to her conviction....

133. In the view of the Court, these behaviors, providing information as to the general context in which the hearing of the applicant had taken place, should have alerted the national authorities as to the possible breach of the applicant's dignity and capability of self-determination."
I agree. I just like to be accurate.
Your comment was indeed helpful in keeping my statement accurate.

As implied by the Boninsegna court motivation report and the ECHR final judgment, Anna Donnino (A.D), an interpreter employed by the Italian State Police, and Ivano Ruffo (R.I.) a police officer employed by the Italian State Police, were among the police employees who played the role of the "good cops" in an apparent coercive "good cop/bad cop" interrogation of Amanda Knox on November 5/6, 2007. The "good cop/bad cop" technique may be considered by some part of the Reid interrogation method.

Quote:
"Good cop/bad cop" routine, also called Mutt and Jeff, joint questioning or friend and foe, is a psychological tactic used in negotiation and interrogation. "Good cop/bad cop" tactics involve a team of two interrogators who take apparently opposing approaches to the subject. The interrogators may interview the subject alternately or may confront the subject at the same time.

The "bad cop" takes an aggressive, negative stance towards the subject, making blatant accusations, derogatory comments, threats, and in general creating antipathy between the subject and themself. This sets the stage for the "good cop" to act sympathetically, appearing supportive and understanding, and in general showing sympathy for the subject. The good cop will also defend the subject from the bad cop. The subject may feel they can cooperate with the good cop either out of trust or out of fear of the bad cop. They may then seek protection by and trust the good cop and provide the information the interrogators are seeking.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_cop/bad_cop

Quote:
If you're held in a room and you think there's no way out, but you're sure that the justice system will eventually exonerate you, you might actually confess just to get out of the situation. When you're in a situation where [your] denial is batted away no matter what you say and they start lowering the barrier of confession ... it becomes the easy way out. Interestingly, naive people, with faith in the justice system, tend to confess more because they're sure something will work out on the other side. The trouble is confession trumps everything. Even physical evidence will bend once somebody's confessed because confessions are so compelling.
Source: https://www.npr.org/2013/12/05/24896...interrogations

Also see: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...he-interview-7
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:24 AM   #444
whoanellie
Muse

Would you like to explain how my post re Donnino wasn't accurate?

Speaking of being accurate, or in your case, inaccurate, let's take a walk down memory lane for some of your greatest hits:

There was no grid under Filomena's window.
Dr. Sollecito attended Rocco Sollecito's memorial in Bari.
Raffaele is left-handed.
Raffaele had a Napapijri jacket.
Raffaele had a white cap with a red stripe.
Amanda took a private chartered jet home to Seattle.
Amanda had sex on a train.
The officer who collected the knife from Raffaele's kitchen knew the size of the major wound.
Popovich's mother was close friend of Raffaele's mother.
The theft charges of the credit cards and money were dropped, not adjudicated.
Raffaele and Gumble made a deal with Mignini that they would admit they they had lied in the book and make a public apology.
Amanda claimed she was 'beaten up' by the police.
Amanda and Raffaele bought drugs the night of the murder so stole Meredith's rent money to pay the dealer.
Kemo sabe is slang for "understand?".
DNA is a protein.
Knox was bleeding 'profusely'.
There is no such thing as tertiary transfer of DNA.
There was a $2 million mega PR campaign as claimed by Curt Knox standing on some stairs somewhere easily found on the internet.
But wait, there's more:

"Likewise, DNA, being a protein, doesn't usually stick unless there are moist or oily conditions, such as saliva, perspiration, moist skin cells, blood and other bodily fluids."

"She extracted the cell from its nucleus"

"If thrown from outside, the impact on the window/shutter (assuming it can get through the gap of the outter shutters, which Massei accept it could not have) would be weight of the object times distance travelled, which is say, 10lb x six feet (72")= 720lbs (kinetic energy) divided by the distance it comes to a halt."

"In a foot system, it is OK to convert into inches, as the distance at 'stop' level is often a small fraction of the distance travelled, hence it makes sense to convert 6 feet into 72 inches, if the stop distance is a fraction of an inch. (This is just a nicetie, and of course, not mandatory.) the weight of the rock was expressed in lbs for similar reason."

"I am sure a first year IT student would have no problem unscrewing the back and taking out the motherboard and frying the disk."

“I am a mathematician and a scientist.”

“I was trying to convey that DNA is found in protein (referring to bodily fluids, such as greasy sweat from sebaceous glands).”

“If it is incorrect that weight x velocity equals distance travelled of a thrown inanimate obiect, how come when I was watching the mm-world championship athletics t'other day a narrrative came up on my screen displaying at what velocity each javelin thrower threw his javelin as it lauched in the air? Surely there must be a link for the highest speed at release were also the ones that seemed to travel the furthest. (134 mpk iirc.)”

"Since murderers never admit to their guilt"

"Humans have two pairs of chomosomes either XY or YY. The former is female and you can extract mtDNA for the haplotype, the latter are male and you can perform Y-haplotype profiling on a male but not on a female."

"Only female DNA can be identified from mtDNA (mitochodria) as only females have the X chromosome from which the mtDNA is extracted. Likewise only males can have Y-haplotypes identified as it carries down from the male line. If you want to know the mtDA background ask your mother or sister to be tested and that will tell you, likewise females can find out about the male line via their father or brother."

"NB: In a DNA model the 'rungs' strictly speaking are four-cornered squares with a different sugar/amino-acid on each corner, but to keep it simple, we will not concern ourselves with that, here."
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 12:55 PM   #445
Stacyhs
Philosopher

But wait! There's more! Included at no extra cost, you'll also get these classic favorites:

BARD is only a loophole for corrupt politicians.

Vinci said Knox's DNA was on the bra.

"I never make anything up."

The acquitting courts were 'bent' and influenced by the Mafia and/or Masons.

Forensic experts not supporting Stefanoni's bra clasp/knife conclusions are 'shills'.

Cell mast antennae rotate.

"Raff's defence team did not want it (semen stain) tested in case it turned out to be his. The dolt even states this in his own book."

"Fact is, objective, neutral, scientific hard data proves Knox was near the cottage (or even at it) when she picked up Lumumba's text."

Knox and/or Sollecito left her lamp in Kercher's room.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #446
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That has cheered us me all up! Thanks for the humour.
You might notice (or not) that no one in this thread agrees with you so the use of "us" is, shall we say, a bit presumptuous?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors