ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 14th September 2017, 10:56 PM   #441
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,223
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
This is nonsense, Kumar. Nobody ever asked A&F evidence from you. All we asked was just a shred of evidence. You never produced any. Just uninformed speculation.

I'm sorry to say this, but you have been a total failure.

Hans
No, that is true. When Mojo say, cherry picking positive evidences, it means evidences are there but bot A&F.

Discussing routines and already well understood should be of least value since available in plentry on internet but discussing dynamics should only be of some dynamic value. Same I tried. But you can not expect these can be A&For to your standards, so look my failure to you. But are not in actual. Moving in cities is routine but moving in remote areas are always remembered.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 11:40 PM   #442
Jim_MDP
Philosopher
 
Jim_MDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: N.Cal/S.Or
Posts: 5,671
Did Google release an English-to-Gibberish module?

And for the love of Gawd... can we just feed the output back in?
__________________
----------------------
Anything goes in the Goblin hut... anything.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 14th September 2017 at 11:41 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 11:48 PM   #443
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,104
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
No, that is true. When Mojo say, cherry picking positive evidences, it means evidences are there but bot A&F.

No, it means that the evidence shows that it doesn't work, but you are giving a misleading impression by only looking at part of it.

Quote:
Discussing routines and already well understood should be of least value since available in plentry on internet but discussing dynamics should only be of some dynamic value. Same I tried. But you can not expect these can be A&For to your standards, so look my failure to you. But are not in actual. Moving in cities is routine but moving in remote areas are always remembered.

The need for special pleading undermines your claim that you have evidence.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:10 AM   #444
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,994
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Discussing routines and already well understood should be of least value since available in plentry on internet but discussing dynamics should only be of some dynamic value. Same I tried. But you can not expect these can be A&For to your standards, so look my failure to you. But are not in actual.
It is a failure. You deliberately refuse to learn what potential energy is, so you can (again deliberately) use it as the 'mechanism' by which homeopathy works.
You are either lying to yourself or you are lying to us.
I hope it's the former, because otherwise 14 years of lying to us haven't taught you that we'll never fall for it.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:19 AM   #445
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,223
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, it means that the evidence shows that it doesn't work, but you are giving a misleading impression by only looking at part of it.




The need for special pleading undermines your claim that you have evidence.
Whatever.Non A&F evidences & mass practical significance/observations are there. So whose basis is also non A&F has no logic to blame, claim or degrade any other non A&F approved system. Final.

Moreover, God as entity or concept, is or not, is not A&F but faith and spritual effect is A&F, so skeptics can't deviate and somewhat hypnotize, mind of believers, so what is the use of polluting them and to self? No one know, what can be the outcome on A&F. Just an true advice.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:42 AM   #446
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,371
Whatever.
There is no god and homeopathy is still bollocks, Kumar.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:51 AM   #447
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,518
So a pendulum at rest has reached its minimum energy and thereby has the maximum 'potential' to have energy added to it, making it move.

Similarly a homeopathic preparation has been diluted to plain water and thereby has maximum 'potential' to have ingredients added to it to make it into real medicine.

I guess that's one way to look at it; the 'potential' of a blank sheet of paper to become, say, a poem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:29 AM   #448
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,104
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Whatever.Non A&F evidences & mass practical significance/observations are there. So whose basis is also non A&F has no logic to blame, claim or degrade any other non A&F approved system. Final.

You have anecdotal evidence that it works. That evidence is contradicted by the results of controlled trials. Eliminating bias eliminates the effects.

Quote:
Moreover, God as entity or concept, is or not, is not A&F but faith and spritual effect is A&F, so skeptics can't deviate and somewhat hypnotize, mind of believers, so what is the use of polluting them and to self?

Oh dear. Are the income streams of homoeopaths being polluted by inconvenient facts?
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 03:14 AM   #449
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,223
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
You have anecdotal evidence that it works. That evidence is contradicted by the results of controlled trials. Eliminating bias eliminates the effects.




Oh dear. Are the income streams of homoeopaths being polluted by inconvenient facts?
Whatever. Affects and healing, which is ultimate goal of any treatment are clinically well observed by homeopathic community, so no issue. Let the people and regulating authorities take their own decision. We are just limited to ourselves not otherwise. Ok now things are over and all. Thanks.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 03:30 AM   #450
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,104
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Whatever. Affects and healing, which is ultimate goal of any treatment are clinically well observed by homeopathic community, so no issue.

No, there is an issue: these observations are contradicted by the results of controlled trials, which eliminate sources of bias present in uncontrolled observations. The evidence, taken as a whole, shows that homoeopathy doesn't work. Additionally it is highly implausible, requiring most of established chemistry and physics to be wrong.

Quote:
Let the people and regulating authorities take their own decision.

Yes, but let them decide on the basis of all the evidence, not just low quality evidence cherry-picked by those with a vested interest.

Quote:
We are just limited to ourselves not otherwise. Ok now things are over and all.

Yes, and once again you have been foiled by those pesky facts.

Quote:
Thanks.

Don't mention it.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 04:05 AM   #451
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,223
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, there is an issue: these observations are contradicted by the results of controlled trials, which eliminate sources of bias present in uncontrolled observations. The evidence, taken as a whole, shows that homoeopathy doesn't work. Additionally it is highly implausible, requiring most of established chemistry and physics to be wrong.




Yes, but let them decide on the basis of all the evidence, not just low quality evidence cherry-picked by those with a vested interest.




Yes, and once again you have been foiled by those pesky facts.




Don't mention it.
Ok as you say. One can simply keep in mind, it is well practiced and well approved system and science is yet not A&F.
Good bye.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 04:30 AM   #452
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,104
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Ok as you say. One can simply keep in mind, it is well practiced...

You're getting into "Courtier's Reply" territory here. "Well practiced" nonsense is still nonsense, just as the emperor will remain naked however detailed the descriptions of his clothes are.

Quote:
...and well approved system...

There are plenty of reasons that governments 'approve' useless treatments.

Quote:
...and science is yet not A&F.

And, once again, the fact that we don't know everything doesn't mean that we don't know anything.

Quote:
Good bye.

Au revoir.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 06:13 AM   #453
sackett
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,968
"Nice place you got here. Be a shame if sumpin' -- odd was ta happen to it."
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 06:47 AM   #454
Peregrinus
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 733
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Whatever. ... clinically well observed by homeopathic community...
Like-minded nutters reinforcing each others' nuttiness remains nuttery.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 09:44 AM   #455
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,983
Appropriate.

__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 09:53 AM   #456
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,518
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nice idea but I think they messed up their sums. Reducing opacity by 10% twenty times still leaves you with 12% opacity.

Now, reducing opacity to 10% twenty times...
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 10:13 AM   #457
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,983
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Nice idea but I think they messed up their sums. Reducing opacity by 10% twenty times still leaves you with 12% opacity.

Now, reducing opacity to 10% twenty times...
Yep. it is to in the first line, I assume it's a typo in the second.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 07:33 AM   #458
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,518
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yep. it is to in the first line, I assume it's a typo in the second.


I may need glasses but from here it looks like by in both instances.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 08:08 AM   #459
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins
Posts: 1,440
Smile

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I may need glasses but from here it looks like by in both instances.
That's what I see too. But you may still need glasses.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 08:16 AM   #460
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,983
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I may need glasses but from here it looks like by in both instances.
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That's what I see too. But you may still need glasses.
LOL It's one of those weird ones where my brain filled in what I expected.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.