ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 25th March 2020, 04:07 PM   #1041
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My mistake. I thought you were presenting it as evidence that he was of sound mind.

I do not. Which is why I don't take campaign websites by themselves as good evidence of the candidate's actual capacity or objectives.
I assume by 'capacity' you mean 'mental capacity' as that's what we've been talking about. If so, I don't think anyone looks to a campaign website as evidence of a candidate's mental capacity. But as evidence of their objectives? Of course they do. That's why they list them there and not a list of their favorite restaurants.

Quote:
Also, your appeal to Biden's approval of the site begs the question that Biden is competent enough for his approval to mean anything. I thought this was exactly the question you were trying to answer.
Wow. How you got that from what I wrote escapes me. Exactly what question was I "trying to answer"?

Here's your post in its entirety:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs V
I suggest you go to his website: https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/

I think trying to make him out as a dementia riddled idiot with no experience in government or any ideas of his own is more than a little dishonest.
I think I can be forgiven for inferring that you meant to present his website as evidence that he's not a dementia riddled idiot.

No need for forgiveness for inferring something incorrectly. But what I am flat out saying, and have said many times in this very thread, is that there is no evidence that Biden has dementia or is in any way mentally unfit to be the POTUS despite the claims of several who repeatedly did so.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 25th March 2020 at 04:15 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 04:15 PM   #1042
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Did you actually read the article, or just the headline and then have a knee jerk?

Do you actually disagree with his position not to make the virus itself political by blaming Trump for it, but rather to point out when Trump is dishonest or incompetent in his handling? Do you really think that there is any point in Biden's campaign coming up with plans to deal with SARS-CoV-2 when if even handled incompetently, it should no longer be a factor in November, let alone January of 2021!

How about doing something other than pointing to a headline and whinging cause your candidate lost again.
THAT! Sour grapes will get them nothing but another 4 years of Trump. This reminds me of a little boy who used to come over to play with my daughter. If he didn't get his way, he'd threaten to go home. Overhearing that once too often, I told him "Fine, go home. There's the door. You're welcome back when you learn you can't always get your way."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 05:58 PM   #1043
Cabbage
Suspended

Did you actually read the article, or just the headline and then have a knee jerk?

Do you actually disagree with his position not to make the virus itself political by blaming Trump for it, but rather to point out when Trump is dishonest or incompetent in his handling? Do you really think that there is any point in Biden's campaign coming up with plans to deal with SARS-CoV-2 when if even handled incompetently, it should no longer be a factor in November, let alone January of 2021!

How about doing something other than pointing to a headline and whinging cause your candidate lost again.

I know you weren't asking me, but personally I think it is imperative to hammer the responsibility for the virus on Trump. You know the GOP would do the same if the tables were reversed. We need more ads like this:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...757204992?s=21
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 07:34 PM   #1044
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I know you weren't asking me, but personally I think it is imperative to hammer the responsibility for the virus on Trump. You know the GOP would do the same if the tables were reversed. We need more ads like this:

That is a great campaign ad. Trump's lawyers can file cease and desist letters all they want, I doubt they'll get it. Using someone's own words against them isn't illegal. Suck it up, lawyers.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:38 PM   #1045
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post

The thing is that Trump isn't responsible for the virus. He might be responsible for the poor preparation, the closing of the NSC Global Pandemic Office, firing the CDC's Embedded officer in China, and all the gaffs and ridiculous statements he has made about both how to kill Sars-CoV-2 and/or cure Covid-19, but that doesn't make him responsible for the virus itself, anymore than China is responsible for it. Hit him with the things he is responsible for, not those that he isn't.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:54 PM   #1046
Cabbage
Suspended

The thing is that Trump isn't responsible for the virus. He might be responsible for the poor preparation, the closing of the NSC Global Pandemic Office, firing the CDC's Embedded officer in China, and all the gaffs and ridiculous statements he has made about both how to kill Sars-CoV-2 and/or cure Covid-19, but that doesn't make him responsible for the virus itself, anymore than China is responsible for it. Hit him with the things he is responsible for, not those that he isn't.
I have no problem with that, and I acknowledge that I did speak sloppily in that particular comment. It looks to me like Biden is limiting himself to only addressing misinformation spread by Trump, though I will admit I only skimmed the article. He should go well beyond that. For example, he should hammer Trump hard with the fact that we haven't been prepared to test for the virus as extensively as we should.

This is no time to play nice solely for the purpose of not making the virus political; the GOP is already making the virus political. Using kid gloves with the GOP in return is insufficient.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 11:32 PM   #1047
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Biden is being accused of Rape, not sure if this deserves it's own thread but thought it deserved a mention here at least. Bernie and Biden supporters are battling it out on twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23IBel...d_click&f=live
Old 26th March 2020, 12:01 AM   #1048
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Biden is being accused of Rape, not sure if this deserves it's own thread but thought it deserved a mention here at least. Bernie and Biden supporters are battling it out on twitter:

Krystal Ball? I'll wait for the dust to settle ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 12:42 AM   #1049
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Krystal Ball? I'll wait for the dust to settle ...
Probably a good idea, though Bernie people are accusing the party of ignoring #MeToo and not giving the "victim" the support she deserves.

*Grabs popcorn
Old 26th March 2020, 02:24 AM   #1050
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post

Oh, how thoughtful of her to wait until halfway through the nominating process, after half of the states have already voted.

The timing makes me smell a rat.
Old 26th March 2020, 04:18 AM   #1051
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Oh, how thoughtful of her to wait until halfway through the nominating process, after half of the states have already voted.

She first spoke openly about this in April but went quiet after the torrents of harassment and accusations of being a Russian operative that making such a public accusation brings.

Interesting nuance to this story. She reached out to "Times Up", a nonprofit that provides legal aid to women making such accusations of powerful people.

The group declined to assist her saying that aiding her against a politician for election might threaten their nonprofit status. That may be legitimate. Also in the mix, there are conflicts of interest in the leadership of the group, as the PR firm for the nonprofit is also a top adviser to the Biden campaign.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/...etoo-times-up/

This accusation has been around for nearly a year.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th March 2020 at 04:27 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 06:47 AM   #1052
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
She first spoke openly about this in April but went quiet after the torrents of harassment and accusations of being a Russian operative that making such a public accusation brings.

Well, according to the link she has posted stuff like this:
Quote:
“What if I told you that everything you learned about Russia was wrong?” she had written in one 2018 post. “President Putin scares the power elite in America because he is a compassionate, caring, visionary leader. … To President Putin, I say keep your eyes to the beautiful future and maybe, just maybe America will come to see Russia as I do, with eyes of love."
It does raise some questions about her objectivity regarding something she claims happened almost 30 years ago.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:03 AM   #1053
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It does raise some questions about her objectivity regarding something she claims happened almost 30 years ago.
Objectivity? It's pretty good evidence she's outright insane.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:05 AM   #1054
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Lets just go back and look at what Republicans said about Kavanaugh.

Her timing seems suspicious (even though the allegation predated the nomination) and she has no credibility.

Let's do better.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:06 AM   #1055
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

She should have at least waited until his nomination hearing.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 04:33 PM   #1056
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Interesting nuance to this story. She reached out to "Times Up", a nonprofit that provides legal aid to women making such accusations of powerful people.

The group declined to assist her saying that aiding her against a politician for election might threaten their nonprofit status. That may be legitimate. Also in the mix, there are conflicts of interest in the leadership of the group, as the PR firm for the nonprofit is also a top adviser to the Biden campaign.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/...etoo-times-up/

This accusation has been around for nearly a year.
Did she say he raped her last April? That accusation seems to be a new one.

https://www.theunion.com/news/nevada...senate-office/
Old 26th March 2020, 04:44 PM   #1057
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Lets just go back and look at what Republicans said about Kavanaugh.

Her timing seems suspicious (even though the allegation predated the nomination) and she has no credibility.

Let's do better.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
She should have at least waited until his nomination hearing.
I suppose I should address this. I don't think the allegations against Kavanaugh were ever proven beyond a reasonable doubt. This probably isn't the thread to rehash those allegations, but there are reasons to doubt including the unreliability of human memory. I opposed Kavanaugh for other reasons, independent of Ford's accusation.
Old 26th March 2020, 04:57 PM   #1058
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know whether Reade's accusation is true or not but this part does raise a red flag for me:

Quote:
And he had me against the wall,” Reade continued. “And then his hands were down my skirt and up my skirt. And I was wearing–I wasn’t wearing anything underneath. And then, with his hand, he went from there and entered me–with his hand–and as he was trying to kiss me, and saying things to me.”
She claims she was wearing a skirt with nothing on beneath? No underwear? I find that extremely odd. I've never in my life worn a skirt or dress with no underwear on beneath.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:15 PM   #1059
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

To a large extent, it doesn't matter if the accusation is false. Trump and his supporters can now point to Democrats discrediting women who accuse their candidate of sexual assault as a rebuttal whenever Democrats try to bring up Trump's or Kavanaugh's history.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:15 PM   #1060
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't know whether Reade's accusation is true or not but this part does raise a red flag for me:
Quote:
And he had me against the wall,” Reade continued. “And then his hands were down my skirt and up my skirt. And I was wearing–I wasn’t wearing anything underneath. And then, with his hand, he went from there and entered me–with his hand–and as he was trying to kiss me, and saying things to me.”
She claims she was wearing a skirt with nothing on beneath? No underwear? I find that extremely odd. I've never in my life worn a skirt or dress with no underwear on beneath.
Well I can already imagine the response to that one: "typical slut-shaming". It may be unusual, but I don't know if we can call it a "red flag".

My main objections are the timing and the fact that last April (supposedly when she first spoke about it) the accusation was only "inappropriate touching". The rape accusation seems to be a new one.

However, from the Intercept article, this seems to count in her favor:
Quote:
Update: March 26, 2020
Reade has given an interview with podcast host Katie Halper, describing her time in Biden’s office, and what she described as a sexual assault in 1993. At the time, she told her mother, brother, and a friend who worked in Sen. Ted Kennedy’s office about the incident. Her mother has since passed away, but both her friend and brother told The Intercept they recalled hearing about it from her at the time. Reade’s friend, who asked to remain anonymous so as not to be part of the public blowback, said she discouraged Reade from coming forward at all, concerned that she would be attacked and would never get the apology she was hoping for. Reade and her brother, Collin Moulton, both said that their mother urged her to call the police, but her brother urged her to move on instead. “Woefully, I did not encourage her to follow up,” he said. “I wasn’t one of her better advocates. I said let it go, move on, guys are idiots.” (Moulton, who lives in Georgia, said he voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and has no intention to vote for either Biden or Donald Trump.)
But we're halfway through the nominating process and all of the moderate alternatives to Biden have already dropped out of the race. It's almost inevitable that Joe Biden is going to be the Democratic party's nominee for president at this point. Two months ago, maybe this would have made a difference, but now? I would have preferred someone, anyone other than Biden to be our nominee, but all the alternatives other than Bernie have already dropped out of the race, and it's too late for them to get back in. So what is this really? Why now, at this precise moment? Can anyone justify the timing to me?

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
To a large extent, it doesn't matter if the accusation is false. Trump and his supporters can now point to Democrats discrediting women who accuse their candidate of sexual assault as a rebuttal whenever Democrats try to bring up Trump's or Kavanaugh's history.
Exactly.

Last edited by Puppycow; 26th March 2020 at 05:17 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 05:28 PM   #1061
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

But we're halfway through the nominating process and all of the moderate alternatives to Biden have already dropped out of the race. It's almost inevitable that Joe Biden is going to be the Democratic party's nominee for president at this point. Two months ago, maybe this would have made a difference, but now? I would have preferred someone, anyone other than Biden to be our nominee, but all the alternatives other than Bernie have already dropped out of the race, and it's too late for them to get back in. So what is this really? Why now, at this precise moment? Can anyone justify the timing to me?

For a long time, it was assumed that Biden was done. Prior to SC there was a lot of chatter about his campaign wrapping up in defeat. Perhaps she was satisfied to know that her abuser would not be ascending to the highest office in the land.

Take the Kavanaugh case for example. If you believed Ford in that case, you could also ask why she waited so long to say something. Perhaps seeing your abuser rise to a position of high honor is an insult to injury too severe to tolerate.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:46 PM   #1062
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I'm starting to think all Presidential candidates from here on out are going to have these accusations.

It may be true, but I don't think it is (yet). The timing seems fishy, and why would she have accused him of inappropriate behavior before and not included the actual rape?

However, it looks like Elizabeth Warren believes that it happened, or at least is pretending to.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:51 PM   #1063
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm starting to think all Presidential candidates from here on out are going to have these accusations.
I keep saying I want Tulsi Gabbard for President.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:53 PM   #1064
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'm starting to think all male Presidential candidates from here on out are going to have these accusations.
FTFM
Old 26th March 2020, 05:54 PM   #1065
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Tulsi's hot.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 05:58 PM   #1066
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

FTFM
She could still be accused of rape. I mean, it would sound like a Penthouse Letter, but it could happen.
Old 26th March 2020, 06:51 PM   #1067
Bob001
Philosopher

It may be true, but I don't think it is (yet). The timing seems fishy, and why would she have accused him of inappropriate behavior before and not included the actual rape?

However, it looks like Elizabeth Warren believes that it happened, or at least is pretending to.

Let's not get the accusers confused. The woman alleging rape is Tara Reade. The person Warren believes is Lucy Flores, who claimed Biden kissed the back of her head. Note that the Warren post is from last year.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/01/polit...ker/index.html
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/48...hilltvs-rising

Last edited by Bob001; 26th March 2020 at 06:54 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:49 PM   #1068
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Let's not get the accusers confused. The woman alleging rape is Tara Reade. The person Warren believes is Lucy Flores, who claimed Biden kissed the back of her head. Note that the Warren post is from last year.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/01/polit...ker/index.html
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/48...hilltvs-rising
You're right. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:18 PM   #1069
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Well I can already imagine the response to that one: "typical slut-shaming". It may be unusual, but I don't know if we can call it a "red flag".
That's not 'slut-shaming' which is blaming the victim because of the way she behaves, dresses, her sex life, etc. Whether or not she had on underwear is in no way placing the blame on her. I just find it very odd for a woman who was at her job as a US senator's staffer to not have on underwear under her skirt. She claimed she wasn't wearing hose (I'll assume pantyhose) because it was a hot day which would make sense, but no underwear?

Reade mentions that she was told Biden liked her legs which suggests she wore her skirts short as most young women in their 20's did in 1993. Wearing a short skirt with no underwear wouldn't be a very smart thing to do for obvious reasons. So, yes, it is a red flag for me.
Old 27th March 2020, 01:29 AM   #1070
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

That's not 'slut-shaming' which is blaming the victim because of the way she behaves, dresses, her sex life, etc. Whether or not she had on underwear is in no way placing the blame on her. I just find it very odd for a woman who was at her job as a US senator's staffer to not have on underwear under her skirt. She claimed she wasn't wearing hose (I'll assume pantyhose) because it was a hot day which would make sense, but no underwear?

Reade mentions that she was told Biden liked her legs which suggests she wore her skirts short as most young women in their 20's did in 1993. Wearing a short skirt with no underwear wouldn't be a very smart thing to do for obvious reasons. So, yes, it is a red flag for me.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it smells like a political "dirty trick" to me. The bonus is getting to accuse Democrats of hypocrisy if they try to question her story or details like that one specifically.
Old 27th March 2020, 07:30 AM   #1071
Suddenly
No Punting

Per your quote she didn't specify underwear, she just said "nothing" at one point. She also said this:

Quote:
“There was no exchange, really. He just had me up against the wall. And I was wearing, like a skirt, you know, a business skirt, but I wasn’t wearing stockings."
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...exual-assault/

So in context it is somewhat clear she isn't talking about underwear. At the very least it is unclear enough to not be significant.

Scrutinizing these collateral details out of context in an attempt to discredit the accuser is itself a red flag.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:43 AM   #1072
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

These are the exact same musings that produce (appropriate) indignation when R's circle the wagons around the accused.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:47 AM   #1073
Suddenly
No Punting

I suppose I should address this. I don't think the allegations against Kavanaugh were ever proven beyond a reasonable doubt. This probably isn't the thread to rehash those allegations, but there are reasons to doubt including the unreliability of human memory. I opposed Kavanaugh for other reasons, independent of Ford's accusation.
It wasn't a criminal trial. It was an issue of whether he was going to get a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. There was enough to stop that or at least enough where it should have been extensively investigated, and Kavanaugh's history as well. Instead, he was fast-tracked.

People forget details. They usually don't create a memory of being assaulted. They also don't like to speak up because it creates a whole heap of baggage, but as another poster pointed out, that calculus changes when they are about to put the person that assaulted you in a position of effectively absolute power.

We see so many of these accusations regarding powerful men because for the longest time being able to act like this was seen as a perk that came with influence. The idea that even the cliche' of grabbing the hot secretary's rear is sexual battery is an idea of recent vintage and that it should be disqualifying when considering putting someone in the highest position of power is not convenient. This is why we don't want to believe them and use all sorts of tricks (high standard of proof, concentrating on consistency re: collateral details, etc.) to keep our heads in the sand.

No matter what one's political persuasion is, it is highly likely that if a man, especially an older man, is prominent that man probably engaged in sexual misconduct at some point.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:56 AM   #1074
Suddenly
No Punting

These are the exact same musings that produce (appropriate) indignation when R's circle the wagons around the accused.
It isn't a matter of partisan politics. This happens any time a person of influence is accused. What we rightly consider sexual misconduct today was more and more common the further back you go, and accordingly a massive number of men of influence have in the past done something awful.

We just don't like the inconveniences created by taking it seriously. Which is why a lot of Democrats are going to dust off the rape denial manual right now. There may be tons of reasons not to believe this, but it is important to avoid devolving into sophistry.
Old 27th March 2020, 08:35 AM   #1075
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
It wasn't a criminal trial. It was an issue of whether he was going to get a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
Let's just note that he already held a lifetime appointment to a federal appeals court. The only question was whether he deserved to be hired for the job he was applying for. His belligerence at his hearings revealed a lack of judicial temperament that should have been enough to disqualify him. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" didn't enter into it at all.
Old 27th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #1076
Elagabalus
Philosopher

The R's accused other R's of being R's?
Old 27th March 2020, 12:22 PM   #1077
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Per your quote she didn't specify underwear, she just said "nothing" at one point. She also said this:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...exual-assault/

So in context it is somewhat clear she isn't talking about underwear. At the very least it is unclear enough to not be significant.

Scrutinizing these collateral details out of context in an attempt to discredit the accuser is itself a red flag.
I have taken nothing out of context as you claim I did. This is the original quote I provided:
Quote:
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...DaXG6WJWuuuu1E

If she had on underwear then her statement that she "wasn't wearing anything underneath" would be untrue. Unless you think that underwear doesn't qualify as wearing something underneath her skirt?

However, I have since listened to the video of her interview yesterday. In that interview, what she actually says is "I wasn't wearing tights or anything..." "Or anything" means she had nothing on underneath. You have to listen carefully but that is what she says at the 5:20 location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVU...ature=youtu.be
Old 27th March 2020, 12:56 PM   #1078
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The R's accused other R's of being R's?
It takes a trained sniper to miss the broad side of a barn when it's that broad.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 01:50 PM   #1079
Suddenly
No Punting

I have taken nothing out of context as you claim I did. This is the original quote I provided:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...DaXG6WJWuuuu1E

If she had on underwear then her statement that she "wasn't wearing anything underneath" would be untrue. Unless you think that underwear doesn't qualify as wearing something underneath her skirt?
It doesn't matter what I think it means. It matters what she thinks it means.
Quote:

However, I have since listened to the video of her interview yesterday. In that interview, what she actually says is "I wasn't wearing tights or anything..." "Or anything" means she had nothing on underneath. You have to listen carefully but that is what she says at the 5:20 location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVU...ature=youtu.be
She could mean that to mean "tights or similar." There is ambiguity here.

Not that it matters seeing your whole point is built around an argument from incredulity. It could be she wasn't wearing underwear. Maybe she likes going natural. Who knows.

Incredulity isn't a valid basis for dismissing a person's description of their personal trauma. It can be done in every case. There is always something that can be be unduly scrutinized and use as a basis for incredulity.

These sorts of statements are pretty standard in sexual misconduct cases:

"I don't even own a blue shirt. If someone did something like that to me I'd remember the color of the shirt"

"She didn't seem sad. I would have been sad if that happened to me."

"Afterwards she was nice to him on the phone. She must not have been upset."

"Why would she wait years before saying anything? I would have spoken up."

etc.
Old 27th March 2020, 02:05 PM   #1080
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Well, according to the link she has posted stuff like this:

Link to Wayback of her writing. She deleted it under scrutiny... hmmm...

Dr. Reade Putin on the Ritz

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics