ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , epicureanism , hedonism , nihilism , philosophy , stoicism

Old 1st January 2016, 07:40 PM   #81
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Philosofer123 View Post
Not if free will is defined as that which is sufficient for one to be ultimately responsible for one's actions.
And if free will is defined as wild assed arm waving?
Old 1st January 2016, 07:45 PM   #82
Philosofer123
Student

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Free will is "a philosophical term of art for a particular sort of capacity of rational agents to choose a course of action from among various alternatives".
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/
Which "particular sort of capacity"? Please elaborate so that I can properly address your questions.

Last edited by Philosofer123; 1st January 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Philosofer123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2016, 01:21 PM   #83
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Which "particular sort of capacity"? Please elaborate so that I can properly address your questions.
How about you address mine?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2016, 01:49 PM   #84
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Not impressed. Good luck with your philosophy.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2016, 07:27 PM   #85
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Not if free will is defined as that which is sufficient for one to be ultimately responsible for one's actions.
I wish to preface this with the comment that I'm only half expecting an answer. What did you do that makes it important for you that you don't have free will?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2016, 08:11 PM   #86
annnnoid
Banned

...but you don't know what 'ultimately' even means. Nobody does. All you know is that you can make decisions that can make things better, or worse. If you agree with that then you subscribe to whatever free will is (who cares how it's defined...does it make any difference?). Wondering about whatever 'ultimately' means is indisputably pointless... unless you are some manner of being that has the capacity to understand how you are 'ultimately' created.

...are you?
annnnoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:38 PM   #87
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Just skimming over parts of it now, here are some things which stand out for me:

Quote:
  • I define “atheism” as the view that it is highly implausible that the Abrahamic God exists, and that there is no good reason to believe that any other god exists
    • I define “the Abrahamic God” as the disembodied, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent creator of the universe, who wants all humans to believe in him
Definitions such as this make me wince. Not because they're particularly terrible definitions, but because they include extraneous details and make unnecessary assumptions.

For example, why are you making specific mention of the "Abrahamic God" in your definition of atheism? You could just define atheism as a lack of belief in any God or god(s). There's no reason to specifically refer to the Abrahamic God.

And why are you defining "Abrahamic God" in a way that's unrelated to Abraham or the Abrahamic faiths? Are you assuming that only the Abrahamic faiths can have a God with these attributes?

Maybe you should refer to it as a monotheistic god instead.

Quote:
  • Moral skepticism is the view that it is highly implausible that moral facts exist
    • Therefore, under moral skepticism, it is highly implausible that anything is “good” or “bad” or “right” or “wrong” or “morally obligatory” or “morally impermissible”
It seems to me that this would depend on how morality is defined.

You mention evolutionary factors such as kin selection and empathy. We could base our definitions of morality on the function that these evolutionary traits developed to perform.

For example, I define moral "good" to be general behaviours which tend to be (directly or indirectly) beneficial to other members of the community and moral "bad" to be general behaviours which tend to be (directly or indirectly) detrimental to other members of the community.

From this, it is possible to deduce some moral facts.

For example, attacking and injuring or killing people without valid cause (such as self-defence) would be morally bad because it directly harms other people, and also indirectly harms other people by reducing the number of healthy individuals contributing beneficially to the community and disrupts the functioning of the community as everyone would have to be constantly on guard against random attacks from others.

Quote:
Negative hedonism
  • Optimizing one’s state of mind over one’s lifetime is the ultimate goal that best fits all plausible ultimate motivational considerations

Optimizing for what?
Optimizing for pleasure?
Optimizing for problem solving?
Optimizing for tranquillity?
Optimizing for productivity?
Simply asserting that the goal should be to optimize one's state of mind is meaningless without specifying what it is that the state of mind should be optimized for, because a mind can be optimized in various mutually-exclusive ways.

And optimizing the mind is not necessarily a good idea, as people may have complex interests in multiple areas, each of which being best served by different states of mind. Optimizing the mind in a way which better serves one area of interest may result in being less effective in other areas of interest.

Quote:
  • The most effective way of which I am aware to optimize one’s state of mind over one’s lifetime is to aim for the achievement and maintenance of peace of mind
    • I define “peace of mind” as the absence of significant negative emotions, while still retaining one’s mental faculties
      • I define “negative emotion” as any emotion that feels uncomfortable. Examples may include distress, fear, frustration, anger, boredom and regret, among others.
Okay, so you mean optimized for tranquillity. Maybe that's right for you, but not everyone would want to try and achieve this.

For example, some people may wish to accomplish as much as possible with their lives, but attempting to minimize emotions such as frustration, anger or boredom could be counterproductive, as for some people these emotions may act as powerful driving forces that allow them to overcome apathy or indolence in order to make progress toward achieving their goals.

Quote:
  • In a large polity, avoiding politics usually promotes peace of mind
    • Political activity may disturb one’s mind, and one’s personal efforts would likely have little or no ultimate effect in a large polity
    • Still, it may be rational to vote or donate to a political cause, as these are easy to do
This would appear to be another example of how your philosophy may conflict with other people's goals.

What if someone believes that achieving a particular political goal or change would be a worthwhile cause with which to dedicate their lives to achieving?

By engaging in politics with a large number of like-minded people, the result may eventually be achieved.

But if all these people were to take your advice and avoid political activity, then their desired outcome would be unlikely to ever be achieved, because engagement in political activities can produce results, even in a large polity.

For example, if everyone were to have taken your advice in the 50's and 60's, there would have been no civil rights movement, and we'd still have things like segregation.
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:01 AM   #88
tsig
a carbon based life-form

If free will is defined as a kumquat, how do you like them kumquats?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:18 AM   #89
Philosofer123
Student

Thank you for your comments and questions, Brian-M.

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post

For example, why are you making specific mention of the "Abrahamic God" in your definition of atheism?
Because I can argue specifically against the existence of the Abrahamic God as defined.

And why are you defining "Abrahamic God" in a way that's unrelated to Abraham or the Abrahamic faiths?
The qualities that I attribute to the Abrahamic God are shared by the Abrahamic religions.

Are you assuming that only the Abrahamic faiths can have a God with these attributes?
No.

Maybe you should refer to it as a monotheistic god instead.
Not all monotheistic religions would agree with the attributes I have assigned to the Abrahamic God.

It seems to me that this would depend on how morality is defined.
I basically defined moral facts in my discussion of their metaphysical queerness.

You mention evolutionary factors such as kin selection and empathy. We could base our definitions of morality on the function that these evolutionary traits developed to perform.

For example, I define moral "good" to be general behaviours which tend to be (directly or indirectly) beneficial to other members of the community and moral "bad" to be general behaviours which tend to be (directly or indirectly) detrimental to other members of the community.

From this, it is possible to deduce some moral facts.

For example, attacking and injuring or killing people without valid cause (such as self-defence) would be morally bad because it directly harms other people, and also indirectly harms other people by reducing the number of healthy individuals contributing beneficially to the community and disrupts the functioning of the community as everyone would have to be constantly on guard against random attacks from others.
You are proposing a form of moral naturalism, which I show to be implausible in the document.

Optimizing for what?
Optimizing for pleasure?
Optimizing for problem solving?
Optimizing for tranquillity?
Optimizing for productivity?
Simply asserting that the goal should be to optimize one's state of mind is meaningless without specifying what it is that the state of mind should be optimized for, because a mind can be optimized in various mutually-exclusive ways.
I think it is clear from the context that optimizing one's state of mind means, roughly, maximizing one's overall happiness.

And optimizing the mind is not necessarily a good idea, as people may have complex interests in multiple areas, each of which being best served by different states of mind. Optimizing the mind in a way which better serves one area of interest may result in being less effective in other areas of interest.
One's interests ultimately reduce to the motivational considerations of self-interest in this life and concern for others, and as I show in the document, optimizing one's state of mind is the ultimate goal that best fits those motivational considerations.

Okay, so you mean optimized for tranquillity.
Not exactly, as discussed above.

This would appear to be another example of how your philosophy may conflict with other people's goals.

What if someone believes that achieving a particular political goal or change would be a worthwhile cause with which to dedicate their lives to achieving?
Because, as I state in the document, doing so would likely disturb their minds while not having any ultimate effect.

By engaging in politics with a large number of like-minded people, the result may eventually be achieved.
But the efforts of one individual--and it is the individual to whom the document is addressed--would likely have little or no ultimate effect in a large polity.

But if all these people were to take your advice and avoid political activity, then their desired outcome would be unlikely to ever be achieved, because engagement in political activities can produce results, even in a large polity.

For example, if everyone were to have taken your advice in the 50's and 60's, there would have been no civil rights movement, and we'd still have things like segregation.
Again, my philosophy is addressed to the individual. I would agree with you if I alone could spur the general population to action. Unfortunately, this is extremely unlikely, so it usually makes no sense for me to be politically active.

Last edited by Philosofer123; 3rd January 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Philosofer123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 10:06 PM   #90
Philosofer123
Student

How to Live Well--My Philosophy of Life

Please click here for a brief summary and link to the full 14-page document.

Constructive feedback is welcome.
Old 26th December 2016, 10:35 PM   #91
ynot
Philosopher

Seems your philosophy is to be lazy and expect others to do all the work.

At least some posted content would be constructive and welcome.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 11:33 PM   #92
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't we do something just like this a few years ago on the JREF version of this forum? Was it the same OP? Anyone with a good memory?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 12:17 AM   #93
Navigator
Philosopher

Atheism 101?

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 12:39 AM   #94
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I clicked the link, which had a page outlining the summary:

"In the first six pages of the document, I develop the following positions: atheism, afterlife skepticism, ultimate responsibility impossibilism, moral skepticism, existential skepticism, thanatophobic irrationalism, and negative hedonism. I conclude that aiming for peace of mind is the best way to go about living well.

"The remainder of the document primarily elaborates upon ways to achieve and maintain peace of mind. I have found many of these methods to be invaluable in practice."

I won't click any further, because anything I've read about peace of mind, philosophy, meditation or mindfulness is all just:

I'm happy. And I'm happy you're happy.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 02:21 AM   #95
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

That's a lot of isms. Personally I've found mindfulness techniques to be very useful in certain situations, but it is a field that can be full of rubbish. You just have to know which bits are useful.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 02:43 AM   #96
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

"In the first six pages of the document, I develop the following positions: atheism, afterlife skepticism, ultimate responsibility impossibilism, moral skepticism, existential skepticism, thanatophobic irrationalism, and negative hedonism. I conclude that aiming for peace of mind is the best way to go about living well.

"The remainder of the document primarily elaborates upon ways to achieve and maintain peace of mind. I have found many of these methods to be invaluable in practice."

I won't click any further, because anything I've read about peace of mind, philosophy, meditation or mindfulness is all just:

or, all just fecal matter!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 07:19 AM   #97
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Didn't we do something just like this a few years ago on the JREF version of this forum? Was it the same OP? Anyone with a good memory?
Here, here, and now...here.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 07:46 AM   #98
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I don't see anything in there about surfing for pretty girls. What kind of life is that?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 07:48 AM   #99
deaman
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That's a lot of isms. Personally I've found mindfulness techniques to be very useful in certain situations, but it is a field that can be full of rubbish. You just have to know which bits are useful.
Don't you mean one has to be "mindful" of the useful parts?
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 09:34 AM   #100
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Did someone reinvent Stoicism?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 10:14 AM   #101
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Yes- I did remembered correct: Philosofer123 posted a near identical OP in December of 2015 and at various lengthly intervals before that. These appear to me to be solely attempts to drive traffic to his website, because he doesn't present his views or participate in any real discussion on the ISF (note that he is still a "student" poster after three years, meaning he has very, very few posts here).

Philosofer123: if you want a real discussion of your ideas, please summarize them here. Your website might be useful for more details, but if you are going to reference your website again now as you did last year, it might help if you informed us what has changed on it in the past year. Thanks!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 10:17 AM   #102
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Here, here, and now...here.
Thanks!! I finally got smart enough to do a search for Philosofer123's other posts, but your references also helped!

As noted above, certain times of the year appear to inspire him to advertise his website here, but then he disappears from the ISF. Doesn't seem to me to be the actions of someone who really wants discussion or feedback.
Old 27th December 2016, 10:40 AM   #103
Navigator
Philosopher

From the links;

Quote:
Atheism
 I define “atheism” as the view that it is highly implausible that the Abrahamic God exists, and that there is no good reason to believe that any other god exists
 I define “the Abrahamic God” as the disembodied, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent creator of the universe, who wants all humans to believe in him
 There is a presumption of atheism because theists propose the addition of a major metaphysical entity (the Abrahamic God) to what is already known to exist (the physical universe). That is, theists make an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
What is this 'extraordinary evidence' atheism requires?

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:55 AM   #104
Philosofer123
Student

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Evidence proportional in strength to the extraordinary claim made by theists.

Last edited by Philosofer123; 27th December 2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 27th December 2016, 11:57 AM   #105
ynot
Philosopher

Intellectually considered and chosen atheism (not default atheism) isn’t prepared to and doesn’t accept the incredulous claims of theism based purely on belief and faith. Intellectual atheism requests credible evidence that at least equals the incredulity of the claims.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 01:04 PM   #106
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Why should atheists be expected to disprove the claims (claims asserted without a sou of evidence) of the superstitious?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 01:15 PM   #107
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Why should atheists be expected to disprove the claims (claims asserted without a sou of evidence) of the superstitious?
They shouldn't, and I don't see that anyone here is saying that they should. Intellectual atheists request that theists prove their claims by providing evidence that is at least equal in credibility to the claimed credibility of the claim.

Last edited by ynot; 27th December 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 27th December 2016, 01:30 PM   #108
ynot
Philosopher

Wrong - Atheism doesn't require anything. It's extraordinary claims that require extraordinary evidence if they're expected to be accepted by intelligent people.

Last edited by ynot; 27th December 2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 27th December 2016, 03:50 PM   #109
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
They shouldn't, and I don't see that anyone here is saying that they should.
You mean, other than this?

Philosopher123 seems, in fact, to be saying that atheists are required to provide evidence to counter the extraordinary claim(s) made by theists.

Clear attempt to reverse the onus,

Intellectual atheists request that theists prove their claims by providing evidence that is at least equal in credibility to the claimed credibility of the claim.
Which is the way it ought to be; but that is not what Philosopher123 seems to be demanding...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 04:34 PM   #110
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Philosopher123 seems, in fact, to be saying that atheists are required to provide evidence to counter the extraordinary claim(s) made by theists.
Clear attempt to reverse the onus,
Even though Navigator's question wasn't valid . . .
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Wrong - Atheism doesn't require anything. It's extraordinary claims that require extraordinary evidence if they're expected to be accepted by intelligent people.
I still don’t see how you make your interpretation.

Surely Navigator meant "What is this 'extraordinary evidence' atheism requires (to receive from theists)?" and that's what Philosopher123 replied to. Not "What is this 'extraordinary evidence' atheism requires (to provide to theists)?"

Mind you, Navigator's words are pretty much a moving feast of conveniently changing meanings.

Last edited by ynot; 27th December 2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 27th December 2016, 05:00 PM   #111
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I think Navigator just misread the sentence he quoted from Philosofer's link-

Quote:
That is, theists make an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
to read that atheism, rather than theism, required the extraordinary evidence for a claim. TBF to Navigator, it's an easy mistake to make, one I made myself- my initial reaction was to ask what extraordinary claim was being made by atheists when the whole thrust of the preceding sentence was that none at all was made by them.

And from there, the train went well and truly off the rails. It could have been easily set back on course by Philosofer simply correcting Navigator's understandable error- "I said theists require extraordinary evidence, not atheism." Why he didn't, I don't know- too much deep philosofy, maybe.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 05:12 PM   #112
ynot
Philosopher

to read that atheism, rather than theism, required the extraordinary evidence for a claim. TBF to Navigator, it's an easy mistake to make, one I made myself- my initial reaction was to ask what extraordinary claim was being made by atheists when the whole thrust of the preceding sentence was that none at all was made by them.

And from there, the train went well and truly off the rails. It could have been easily set back on course by Philosofer simply correcting Navigator's understandable error- "I said theists require extraordinary evidence, not atheism." Why he didn't, I don't know- too much deep philosofy, maybe.
Theists only need to provide extraordinary evidence to support their extraordinary claims if they expect intelligent people to accept their claims. There's no evidence I’ve ever seen that theists themselves need any evidence at all. In other words, extraordinary claims don’t require extraordinary evidence if you’re prepared to merely accept and believe them at face value.

It’s neither theism nor atheism that require extraordinary claims to be supported by extraordinary evidence, it’s honest and intelligent brains that do for the purpose of establishing credible knowledge in preference to mere belief.

Last edited by ynot; 27th December 2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 27th December 2016, 07:10 PM   #113
Navigator
Philosopher

No.

I understood that the words meant that if someone makes an extraordinary claim then the counter-argument is for those making the extraordinary claim having to provide extraordinary evidence in which to make the claim valid to an atheist.

Since the argument comes from an atheist in relation to theist claims, my question was focused on that.

The statement was "That is, theists make an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Which followed this:
There is a presumption of atheism because theists propose the addition of a major metaphysical entity (the Abrahamic God) to what is already known to exist (the physical universe).

(I crossed off the "Abrahamic God" reference as being irrelevant due to intelligent design theories which are not specific to organised religions ideas of GOD.)

So my question "What is this 'extraordinary evidence' atheism requires?" has to do with what it is that atheism regards as extraordinary claims...and of course, this principally has to do with notions involving Intelligent Design in relation to the existence of the universe as a whole.

Old 28th December 2016, 09:20 AM   #114
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Are you actually reading what you are responding to?

Quote:
That is, theists NOT ATHEISTS make an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
I think the highlighted section I added should clarify matters.

Last edited by I Am The Scum; 28th December 2016 at 09:21 AM.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 11:50 AM   #115
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say you know very little about the breadth of academic philosophy if you think it's just words.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 11:56 AM   #116
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Here is my life philosophy in just five words: Don't be a dick.
Old 28th December 2016, 11:58 AM   #117
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Are you actually reading what you are responding to?

I think the highlighted section I added should clarify matters.
Yes I am. Are you actually reading what I am responding to?

So my question "What is this 'extraordinary evidence' atheism requires?"

See? The requirement is that theists provide 'extraordinary evidence' and my question to atheists is "What is this 'extraordinary evidence'?"

Examples please.

Old 28th December 2016, 02:51 PM   #118
ynot
Philosopher

Atheism doesn’t require anything. A baby is an atheist by default. Intellectual atheists however require evidence rather than belief to accept that a god actually exists.

Navigator is merely trying to score a “gotcha” over nasty atheists by disingenuously asking them to provide an example of extraordinary evidence knowing full well they can’t, because atheists don’t think such a thing even exists. And that’s the point the atheists are making. If a god actually exists there should be at least SOME evidence that one does. Theists can’t provide ANY evidence that their god actually exists. Not even extraordinary evidence. All theists have are unsubstantiated, paranormal beliefs that are a hangover from less educated times. Navigator's "FSC/GOD" thread is further evidence of that.

Last edited by ynot; 28th December 2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 28th December 2016, 03:04 PM   #119
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Oh boy! This thread again.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 03:10 PM   #120
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Here is my life philosophy in just five words: Don't be a dick.
That's four words.

My philosophy in just seven words: Sometimes you have to be a dick.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy