ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th February 2020, 09:01 AM   #41
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
What alt-right nonsense is that?
Here you go.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:48 PM   #42
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
VOX is biased and wrong. They don't seem to like an academic not toeing their accepted line.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:53 PM   #43
carlitos
"más divertido"

VOX is biased and wrong. They don't seem to like an academic not toeing their accepted line.
Here are the sarcasm tags:

[sarcasm]test ... [/sarcasm]
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:48 AM   #44
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Former Atomwaffen Division Leader Arrested for Swatting Conspiracy

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr...ing-conspiracy

John Cameron Denton, 26, of Montgomery, Texas, is allegedly a former leader of the Atomwaffen Division in Texas.

Denton made a new friend and told him how he uses a voice changer to make swatting calls, including specific details of swatting calls against journalists. His new friend turned out to be an undercover cop.

All the antifa in the world can't do as much damage to these fascists as they do to themselves because they are lonely, sad losers that just want a friend to chat with.

Denton is one of the founding members of Atomwaffen Division, a violent and explicitly neo-Nazi organization.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th February 2020 at 11:27 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:10 AM   #45
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Jeremy Christian found guilty on all charges related to his stabbing of 3 strangers who confronted him while he harangued 2 Muslim women on the MAX train.

Guilty of 12 charges:

Quote:
two first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Namkai-Meche and Best; first-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault of Fletcher; second-degree intimidation against the teenage girls and Hester; unlawful use of a weapon and menacing against Forde; and second-degree assault, menacing and unlawful use of a weapon against Hester.
Not surprising given the overwhelming evidence of guilt.

Sentencing has not yet been scheduled. He faces life without parole, or life with a minimum 30 years served before being eligible for parole. The jury returned Tuesday and Wednesday (today) for a sentence enhancement hearing.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...ngs-trial.html

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...7WboRd.twitter

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th February 2020 at 11:15 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #46
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh boy, did you see what his defence was?

"Hasson said his addiction to prescription painkillers warped his mental state, causing him to espouse racial hatred and contemplate homicidal mayhem."

The pills made me do it!

He will be 63 and still be a danger to the public when he gets out. Should have got 25 to life!
The drugs made me do it, and I wasn't actually going to use all those weapons I bought.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:39 PM   #47
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Former Atomwaffen Division Leader Arrested for Swatting Conspiracy

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr...ing-conspiracy

John Cameron Denton, 26, of Montgomery, Texas, is allegedly a former leader of the Atomwaffen Division in Texas.

Denton made a new friend and told him how he uses a voice changer to make swatting calls, including specific details of swatting calls against journalists. His new friend turned out to be an undercover cop.

All the antifa in the world can't do as much damage to these fascists as they do to themselves because they are lonely, sad losers that just want a friend to chat with.

Denton is one of the founding members of Atomwaffen Division, a violent and explicitly neo-Nazi organization.
Posted too soon. Another 4 Atomwaffen members charged for a conspiracy to target journalists.

That brings the total to 5 arrested today.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/...283993.1.0.pdf
Old 28th February 2020, 04:58 AM   #48
catsmate
No longer the 1

We await your critique of the points made in the article.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 05:29 AM   #49
catsmate
No longer the 1

There's Richard Price (of the UK's EDL) who's currently doing seventeen years for sexual abuse of a 10 year old girl. That's the same EDL that rants about "Muslim Rape Gangs"....

Then there was Leigh McMillan, who was coordinator of the West Midlands sect of the EDL, who was jailed for violent behaviour. Naturally the EDL and their rightists allies condemned this, but failed to mention his conviction for taking indecent images of children. The images were found when his computer was examined after an earlier arrest for EDL related thuggery. "Tommy Robinson" took a personal part in the campaign to free Price, and later lied and tried to distance himself.
Old 28th February 2020, 06:26 AM   #50
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Chris Cantwell, the Crying Nazi of Charlottesville, remanded without bail pending his criminal trial. Judge cites previous bail violations and history of violence in decision.

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/s...35130245419008
Old 10th March 2020, 10:27 AM   #51
carlitos
"más divertido"

During CPAC, there was a "groyper" racist / white nationalist event at the same time, led by Nazi Ken Doll Nick Fuentes. An attendee at the AFPAC ("America First" Political Action Committee) conference had sued for defamation after some tweets called him a white nationalist. The tweets and case were part of the aftermath of Unite the Right in Charlottesville, where the guy went as a broadcaster. Case thrown out.

Quote:
On March 14, 2018, Reilly sued Channel 16 News and multiple individuals whom, he asserted, defamed him by calling him “racist,” a “bigot,” and a “white nationalist.”

The following year, Judge David E. Grine sustained the defendants’ preliminary objections and allowed Reilly an opportunity to amend his complaint. And on February 21, 2020, Judge Grine dismissed Reilly’s suit with prejudice — meaning the lawsuit is permanently dismissed, and Reilly cannot bring another lawsuit on the same grounds.

Judge Grine pointed out that it “is well settled that offending statements are not capable of defamatory meaning,” and that it “is not enough that the victim of statements be embarrassed or annoyed, he must have suffered the kind of harm which has grievously fractured his standing in the community of respectable society.”

Moreover, he wrote, “a statement in the form of an opinion” — e.g., “racist,” “white nationalist,” “prejudiced” — “is actionable only if it may reasonably be understood to imply the existence of undisclosed defamatory facts justifying the opinion.” Here, the opinions of Reilly were based on disclosed facts, and not “sufficient for an action of defamation.”

Last edited by carlitos; 10th March 2020 at 10:29 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 12:19 PM   #52
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
During CPAC, there was a "groyper" racist / white nationalist event at the same time,
Leaving that one alone.

I'm just glad that when these specimens of the master race are confronted by law enforcement, they generally choose to go peacefully.
Old 13th March 2020, 12:28 PM   #53
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Aiden Bruce-Umbaugh, member of neo-nazi group AtomWaffen, pleads guilty to federal gun charges stemming from his recent arrest in Texas. He was stopped in a car with firearms, drugs, and nazi propaganda.

A notable quote from his interrogation:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...d-drug-charges
Is it bad that I think that's actually quite a funny quote?

I mean the guy is an evil scumbag but that's one hell of a thing to say.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 12:37 PM   #54
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Is it bad that I think that's actually quite a funny quote?

I mean the guy is an evil scumbag but that's one hell of a thing to say.
These arrests are really showing how little priority these far-right extremists were getting from the feds before now.

They are comically bad at running illegal terrorist organizations. They are incriminating themselves left and right and making statements like the one in the video. the least bit of federal law enforcement attention and they fall to pieces.

But yeah, it is really funny how bad they are at this.
Old 13th March 2020, 12:40 PM   #55
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

During CPAC, there was a "groyper" racist / white nationalist event at the same time, led by Nazi Ken Doll Nick Fuentes. An attendee at the AFPAC ("America First" Political Action Committee) conference had sued for defamation after some tweets called him a white nationalist. The tweets and case were part of the aftermath of Unite the Right in Charlottesville, where the guy went as a broadcaster. Case thrown out.
Quote:
Moreover, he wrote, “a statement in the form of an opinion” — e.g., “racist,” “white nationalist,” “prejudiced” — “is actionable only if it may reasonably be understood to imply the existence of undisclosed defamatory facts justifying the opinion.” Here, the opinions of Reilly were based on disclosed facts, and not “sufficient for an action of defamation.”

That's a rather legalese way of saying...

"Listen up scumbag. You have not been defamed by being called a scumbag, because you ARE a scumbag!"

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 01:55 PM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
We await your critique of the points made in the article.

It doesn't work like that.

You post specific examples of him being a Neo nazi, white supremacist or all-night.

Posters can either critique or not, if they chose to.

"Look at this opinion piece.....see" doesn't cut it as evidence.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2020, 02:25 PM   #57
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Michelle Malkin has declared herself their mother. Yeah, she's not exactly white but Asian women are hawt!
Old 13th March 2020, 03:24 PM   #58
carlitos
"más divertido"

On-topic vid of Malkin doing her thing:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 16th March 2020, 08:15 AM   #59
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Leaving that one alone.

I'm just glad that when these specimens of the master race are confronted by law enforcement, they generally choose to go peacefully.
Except for all the mass shooters
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:14 PM   #60
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Today one specimen of the master race did not go peacefully. One Timothy Wilson of Belton, Missouri, died in a shootout with an FBI tactical team who was attempting to arrest him as part of an investigation into a planned terrorist attack.

Quote:
According to officials, Mr. Wilson had expressed racist and anti-government sentiments. He had been under F.B.I. scrutiny since September, and the authorities said that at one point he had considered attacking multiple targets, including a school with a large number of black students, as well as a mosque and a synagogue.

“Wilson considered various targets and ultimately settled on an area hospital in an attempt to harm many people, targeting a facility that is providing critical medical care in today’s environment,” the F.B.I. said in a statement.

Last week, Belton’s mayor issued a stay-at-home order for its residents. Authorities said Mr. Wilson said he felt compelled to act because of the mayor’s order and intended to use a car bomb to cause mass casualties at the hospital.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 05:05 AM   #61
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Today one specimen of the master race did not go peacefully. One Timothy Wilson of Belton, Missouri, died in a shootout with an FBI tactical team who was attempting to arrest him as part of an investigation into a planned terrorist attack.
Fortunately these nazis aren't very bright. Feds offering a fake bomb and arresting/clapping on pickup is the oldest trick in the book.

Knowing this guy probably died in some crappy storage unit out in the suburbs getting caught in the most obvious trap on the planet warms my heart. Hope he had enough time to fully realize how bad he screwed up before he got gunned down.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th March 2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 31st March 2020, 12:48 PM   #62
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Augustus Invictus granted bond.

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/statu...37190565904385

This guy is very dangerous, especially now that it seems likely he will be facing prison time in the near future. Will not be shocked if he commits some act of horrific violence while out on bond.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events