ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 12:27 PM   #201
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Speaking of farmers, I like this ad that has been playing non-stop in WI:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I continue to wonder just what Trump said that actually convinced this guy that Trump would help him though.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 12:30 PM   #202
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Exactly. Oil below $40 is going to put a lot of companies in North Dakota, Oklahoma and Texas out of business. I'm from the oil patch in south OK and I can tell you my friends and family back there are already getting nervous about this one.
I've said a few times that over the last few years the farmers around here have not been pleased. Even with Trump screaming in their face about how much he's helped them (especially considering big farms have received most of the support). I know a fair amount of people from the Williston, Minot, Bakken type of places, even as far out as Medora.

Lots of them aren't just concerned, there have been rumblings of changing votes. It won't happen, NoDak is red as rage but even the fact there are murmurs is crazy around here.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 12:32 PM   #203
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
New poll results seem to come out multiple times per week.

The aggregate of his most recent polls have him at 42.8% approval, 53% Disapproval. So, still under water.

(Even Rasmussen, which is usually the poll most favorable to Trump, has him at only 48% approval.)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/
Thank you, I'll bookmark it so I can keep up.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 12:56 PM   #204
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Live by the markets, die by the markets. Somehow, though, I think Trumpanzees won't care and still vote for DJ anyway.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 01:02 PM   #205
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Live by the markets, die by the markets. Somehow, though, I think Trumpanzees won't care and still vote for DJ anyway.

It's what we saw with President Obama, but in reverse.

Good market, nothing to do with President Obama. Bad market, it's all President Obama's fault.

Good market, it's all thanks to Trump. Bad market, nothing to do with Trump.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 01:12 PM   #206
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now some economist saying a recession this year is inevitable.
Trump meltdown coming over that....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 01:42 PM   #207
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Matt Gaetz, the GOP congressman and probably the worst Trump toady in congress, just self quarainted himself for the virus. He's the guy who wore a gas mask a couple of weeks ago to ridicule the idea that the Corona virus was a real problem.
Karma can be a real bitch....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 02:26 PM   #208
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Most of them don't have the money to put in the market anyhow. Investing would cut into the beer and smokes.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:27 PM   #209
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Take note of the highlighted part.

Today's date is March 9th, I estimate that in about 3 weeks time (when the rate of new virus cases continue to climb), the Idiot-In-chief will begin slowly laying down the groundwork to make Pence his scapegoat, one tweet at a time.
You are so wrong.

President Trump never does things one tweet at a time. He lacks the patience for that sort of slow roll. No, he’ll blame VP Mike “Hapless” Pence in one fell swoop.

The only question is whether the tweet that blames it all on VP Pence will include a firing. He does love the firing by tweet.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:47 PM   #210
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You are so wrong.

President Trump never does things one tweet at a time. He lacks the patience for that sort of slow roll. No, he’ll blame VP Mike “Hapless” Pence in one fell swoop.

The only question is whether the tweet that blames it all on VP Pence will include a firing. He does love the firing by tweet.
A President can't actually fire a VP. A demand for a resignation could happen, but technically a president can't force his VP out if the VP just says no.

That would require a spine from Pence though.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 03:41 PM   #211
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
A President can't actually fire a VP. A demand for a resignation could happen, but technically a president can't force his VP out if the VP just says no.

And the GOP.whichis pretty much under's Trump's thumb, could just remove Pence as their nonimnee at the convention. Pence would remain VEEP until Jan 2021, but then would be out.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th March 2020, 03:49 PM   #212
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Boston, the most Irish city in America,just cancelled the St Patricks Day parade.
Wow, it has to be serious **** for that to happen.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by kmortis; 10th March 2020 at 03:34 AM.
Old 9th March 2020, 03:53 PM   #213
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

When has Trump ever let trivial irritants like legal technicalities stop him from doing something?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:06 PM   #214
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Obama/Biden Administration is the most corrupt Administration in the history of our Country!
That's a big claim.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:17 PM   #215
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That's a big claim.
So past tense is something else he can't handle...
Old 9th March 2020, 05:18 PM   #216
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

This is just evil.

Trump supporters: Why do you hate humanity?
Old 9th March 2020, 05:19 PM   #217
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop
Trump Tweets

The Obama/Biden Administration is the most corrupt Administration in the history of our Country
!

That's a big claim lie.
FTFY
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 05:35 PM   #218
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
This is just evil.

The best response:
“A lot of Americans thought they were electing the tough-minded, realist executive from The Apprentice when in fact they were electing a marketer and celebrity whose deepest talent was believing his own PR.

We are seeing the consequences now.”
Old 9th March 2020, 05:44 PM   #219
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
When has Trump ever let trivial irritants like legal technicalities stop him from doing something?
Am I way off base in imagining that Pres. Trump would love to have Ivanka or Donny Jr. serving as Veep in his second term? Not that he’d want either of them on the 2020 Republican ticket - he’d like to simply appoint one in early 2021.
Old 9th March 2020, 06:05 PM   #220
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

That's a big claim.
He’s flailing.
Old 9th March 2020, 06:21 PM   #221
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Am I way off base in imagining that Pres. Trump would love to have Ivanka or Donny Jr. serving as Veep in his second term? Not that he’d want either of them on the 2020 Republican ticket - he’d like to simply appoint one in early 2021.
No, he'll simply have one of them run as Pres in 2024. He won't even move out of the White House.
Old 9th March 2020, 06:26 PM   #222
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Matt Gaetz, the GOP congressman and probably the worst Trump toady in congress, just self quarainted himself for the virus. He's the guy who wore a gas mask a couple of weeks ago to ridicule the idea that the Corona virus was a real problem.
Karma can be a real bitch....
Too bad you can't spread it until you incubate it for a couple days because he shook Trump's hand at the conference.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:29 PM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You are so wrong.

I can't see him badmouthing Pence in public because Pence has that whole Evangelical crowd ignoring Trump's unchristian flaws.

No doubt Pence is getting a tongue lashing behind closed doors.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:02 PM   #224
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Phrasing! God, what is wrong with you?! Ugh! Nightmare fuel.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:18 PM   #225
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is just evil.

Well that Spanish, you can't be too careful.

Old 9th March 2020, 09:07 PM   #226
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I can't see him badmouthing Pence in public because Pence has that whole Evangelical crowd ignoring Trump's unchristian flaws.

Does he still need VP Pence?
Hasn’t he provided his bona fides by appointing the judges and setting things up for the attempt to overturn Roe v Wade?
If VP Pence disappeared from the scene, would evangelicals suddenly say “OMG, he’s not a Christian! How can we support a man who is not a Christian!”?

And, even if Pres. Trump did need VP Pence to protect himself from skeptical evangelicals, does anyone think he has the willpower and the foresight to stop himself from throwing VPOTUS under a bus?
Old 9th March 2020, 11:06 PM   #227
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Does he still need VP Pence?
Hasn’t he provided his bona fides by appointing the judges and setting things up for the attempt to overturn Roe v Wade?
If VP Pence disappeared from the scene, would evangelicals suddenly say “OMG, he’s not a Christian! How can we support a man who is not a Christian!”?

And, even if Pres. Trump did need VP Pence to protect himself from skeptical evangelicals, does anyone think he has the willpower and the foresight to stop himself from throwing VPOTUS under a bus?
I don't know if Trump gets any electoral benefit from keeping Pence, but it would be that much easier to attack Trump on loyalty issues. Pence has been a fawning lickspittle (probably because Trump has promised him money, which Pence will never see) all the way. If Trump won't even be loyal to the most spineless ass-kisser in his administration, how does anyone not related to him stand a chance?
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 11:18 PM   #228
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

This is just evil.

Follow-up

Quote:
I reached out to the Justice Department’s Executive Office for Immigration Review for comment, who had this to say through a spokesperson:

“The signs should not have been removed. The matter is being rectified.”
Now, we may see if they'll actually do it and we'll also see if there's an investigation into such blatant wrongdoing.
Old 9th March 2020, 11:22 PM   #229
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Too bad you can't spread it until you incubate it for a couple days because he shook Trump's hand at the conference.
Can, actually. Touch something contaminated, like, say, when you shake a hand and it's on your hand. Touch their hand and it's now on both your hands. Each of you touches your face and it's right next to potential entry points. That's the thing about really contagious diseases. They're really contagious. Incidentally, that right there has a lot to do with the emphasis on washing your hands well.

Last edited by Aridas; 9th March 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:35 AM   #230
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Trump keeps saying he will protect people with pre-existing conditions from losing their health-care coverage because of them; recently, he was asked just how he would do so, since Republicans seem determined to do away with what is currently those folks' only protection with no plan to replace it. Here's his answer-

So- there ya go, don't worry about it. The candidate who claimed in 2016 that "you’re going to have such great health care, at a tiny fraction of the cost—and it’s going to be so easy," and that "everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now … the government's gonna pay for it," and then had a Republican majority for his first two years with no plan to show for it, is now effectively saying "give me the House, this time I promise, for realz!"

And Trumpers will eat it up and beg for more.
That came from the Scranton, PA Town Hall that trump was at, and for those with strong stomachs it may be worth reading the full transcript which is made up of a dozen similar answers.

He's a walking gish gallop of nonsense.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:38 AM   #231
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I don't know if Trump gets any electoral benefit from keeping Pence, but it would be that much easier to attack Trump on loyalty issues. Pence has been a fawning lickspittle (probably because Trump has promised him money, which Pence will never see) all the way.
Why do you think it is money? Isn’t it possible that VP Pence is a true believer and when Trump handlers approached him and said, follow DJT to Washington and your name will be associated with the foundation of the next Golden Age of Christianity, he jumped at the chance? He strikes me as far, far more loyal than anyone working on The hope of a future payoff would be. Plus, he is not that bright. I think he could have been fast-talked into drinking the Kool-Aid without any pecuniary promise.

Quote:
If Trump won't even be loyal to the most spineless ass-kisser in his administration, how does anyone not related to him stand a chance?
Is there any evidence that his relatives would have his loyalty? People often make jokes about how when it is Donny Jr’s turn to go under the bus, DJT will be saying, “I hardly know him. We’ve never worked together very closely.” It has been reported that he has no respect for his children, why would he have any loyalty to anyone he doesn’t respect?
Old 10th March 2020, 04:33 AM   #232
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
This is your daily reminder that it took Barack Obama until October of 2009 to declare Swine Flu a National Health Emergency
It began in April of ‘09 but Obama waited until 20,000 people in the US had been hospitalized & 1,000+ had died
Where was the media hysteria then?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:34 AM   #233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Just for the record, a Public Health Emergency was declared on April 26th 2009.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:37 AM   #234
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Going up fast. We need the Wall more than ever!
Quote Tweet

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Now, more than ever, we need the wall
With China Virus spreading across the globe, the US stands a chance if we can control of our borders
President Trump is making it happen
I explain why this matters & SO MUCH MORE!
Subscribe—https://apple.co/3355T5b

It has been an honor of a lifetime to have a front row seat as this president made history the last 3 years
This book is a distillation of everything I learned from watching it unfold—often with my own two eyes
He has changed America forever

Here's how: http://amzn.to/3824PAL
Old 10th March 2020, 04:39 AM   #235
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Wow! @foxandfriends blew away the competition of Morning Joke (which did very poorly) on MSDNC (Another Comcast sleaze production), and @CNN’s New Day, in the Morning Television Ratings. A total blowout, but that’s what you get when you treat “Trump” fairly!
Old 10th March 2020, 05:45 AM   #236
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted
Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
This is your daily reminder that it took Barack Obama until October of 2009 to declare Swine Flu a National Health Emergency
It began in April of ‘09 but Obama waited until 20,000 people in the US had been hospitalized & 1,000+ had died
Where was the media hysteria then?
But he isn't blaming anyone else or making this a political issue...
Old 10th March 2020, 06:20 AM   #237
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

La dee la la la la la la.

Last edited by shemp; 10th March 2020 at 06:58 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:56 AM   #238
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Get the cannon ready!

That was a fake Tweet.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:00 AM   #239
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That was a fake Tweet.
Why, I have no idea what you are talking about
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:17 AM   #240
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Going to be a BAD day for Crazy Bernie!

Our pathetic, slow moving Federal Reserve, headed by Jay Powell, who raised rates too fast and lowered too late, should get our Fed Rate down to the levels of our competitor nations. They now have as much as a two point advantage, with even bigger currency help. Also, stimulate!

The Federal Reserve must be a leader, not a very late follower, which it has been!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics