ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 10th March 2020, 06:17 PM   #281
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Is he - is he trying to take credit for population growth?
Man, I know Trump likes the ladies, but is he THAT good????

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:24 PM   #282
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
“And don’t forget the year! No president has ever governed in a higher numbered year. All the other presidents were in the 1900s.”
Except that RINO Bush, and some ******.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:43 PM   #283
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Except that RINO Bush, and some ******.

Fake Presidents! Why are you trying to lie about Trump's Grate "Achievements"?
Old 10th March 2020, 09:05 PM   #284
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Fair enough. Still, given the number of Christians in the US who prioritize wealth over anything else, no reason it can't be both.
Thanks for reminding me of... this. Ugh.

To poke at some other things...

There are a few more details in the coronavirus poster removal order, for those interested.

Trump too personally wounded by Pelosi to negotiate with her on coronavirus stimulus deal

And McConnell's made it clear that his solution to the issue is to push it all onto Pelosi.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:24 PM   #285
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is going to have his rallies,no mater what.
Trump does noto give a crap about the safetyof the American People.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:57 PM   #286
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump is going to have his rallies,no mater what.
Trump does noto give a crap about the safetyof the American People.
if they are too sick to go voting in November, I'd say it is self-inflicted.
Old 11th March 2020, 03:32 AM   #287
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Pocahontas, working in conjunction with the Democrat Party, totally destroyed the campaign of Bernie Sanders. If she would have quit 3 days earlier, Sanders would have beaten Biden in a route, it wouldn’t even have been close. They also got two other losers to support Sleepy Joe!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 03:35 AM   #288
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

Pocahontas, working in conjunction with the Democrat Party, totally destroyed the campaign of Bernie Sanders. If she would have quit 3 days earlier, Sanders would have beaten Biden in a route, it wouldn’t even have been close. They also got two other losers to support Sleepy Joe!
I'm torn between admiration that Trump apparently knows the word "rout" and contempt that he can't spell it.
Old 11th March 2020, 03:53 AM   #289
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Trump Tweets

If you like automobils, how can you vote for a Democrat who all want to get rid of cars, as quickly as possible, especially if they are powered by gasoline. Remember also, no more than one car per family. I, on the other hand, have new plants being built all over Michigan, Plus!

Best unemployment numbers in the history of our Country. Best employment number EVER, almost 160 million people working right now. Vote Republican, unless you want to see these numbers obliterated!
Gotta love that part. If a Democratic governor/representative/mayor of a state/district/city has problems on their home turf (crime, the homeless, etc.), it's totally that gov/rep/mayor's fault; if a state with a Democratic governor (like Michigan) can report good news, it's totally "hey, I did that!" If Trump weren't the President of the US, his childish behavior would be almost child-like charming.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 04:38 AM   #290
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweeted

Pocahontas, working in conjunction with the Democrat Party, totally destroyed the campaign of Bernie Sanders. If she would have quit 3 days earlier, Sanders would have beaten Biden in a route
Sanders would've ambushed Biden on a highway and beaten him?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 05:47 AM   #291
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Gotta love that part. If a Democratic governor/representative/mayor of a state/district/city has problems on their home turf (crime, the homeless, etc.), it's totally that gov/rep/mayor's fault; if a state with a Democratic governor (like Michigan) can report good news, it's totally "hey, I did that!" If Trump weren't the President of the US, his childish behavior would be almost child-like charming.
We could all laugh at a sit-com titled "President Guy," if we didn't have this damned reality show.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 08:46 AM   #292
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
We could all laugh at a sit-com titled "President Guy," if we didn't have this damned reality show.
Except there is no way “President Guy” could last 3 seasons. At least not with this casting.

Although, “President Baby”....?

ETA
Dammit. Now, I can’t stop my mind from trying to work all of President Trump’s traits into an upbeat TV theme song.

Last edited by Ladewig; 11th March 2020 at 08:49 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 09:22 AM   #293
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'd say Trump is toast.
The Stockholder Class was happy with him when he delivered a continuous Rally - but his mishandling of the crisis has cost them billions.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:29 AM   #294
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's gonna be a long a stressful few months because as far as I'm concerned no matter what the polls, the pundits, the talking heads, the voices on the street, and the general "tone" all say... Trump ain't gone until the next President gets sworn in, and probably with a few buffer days even beyond that
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 09:45 AM   #295
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'd say Trump is toast.
The Stockholder Class was happy with him when he delivered a continuous Rally - but his mishandling of the crisis has cost them billions.
Which only goes to show how dumb the 'stockholder class' can be.

They should have recognized that much of Trump's success was built on a growing economy he inherited.

They should have known that Trump is incompetent and eventually he would do things to mess things up (Trade wars, Coronavirus).

They should have known that the Republican policies that were implemented (huge tax cuts/deregulation) would provide only a short term boost to the economy, and the result would be even bigger problems in the future.

But, they decide to go for a short-term windfall, and screw the future. (Perhaps they are expecting more bailouts, like after the 2008 crash.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #296
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say Trump is toast.
And they have seen just how incompetent he is. I think there never had much respect for him, btu thought in a real crisis he would let the experts handle it and then take the credit. But now they realise he actually thinks he is some kind of unique genius and his gut instincts and feelings are vastly superior to all the experts in the world.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #297
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And they have seen just how incompetent he is. I think there never had much respect for him, btu thought in a real crisis he would let the experts handle it and then take the credit. But now they realise he actually thinks he is some kind of unique genius and his gut instincts and feelings are vastly superior to all the experts in the world.
All Trump has to do to benefit economic recovery is STFU.

He can't do that. It's impossible for him. He'd sooner beat Michael Phelps in every Olympic swimming event than keep his fool mouth shut for one day.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:49 AM   #298
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

It's cute how people think an economic downturn "hurts" the powerful.

Even I've learned a bit about how to be visciously advantageous. 6-12 months from now I will hop into a new house where the development incentives are moving to. I anticipate the bottom of the market will be just after that when out of state operations will swoop in. I and they will apply for every rebate on offer and fix the place up.

In 5 years I'll be at 2x-3x equity (mostly because I'm just following what's been decided, not because I'm a super genius).

Market resets are a huge opportunity for big interests to make cheap acquisitions.

People who have very little padding or insufficient assets hate it (I have just enough to play the game this time around for a hopefully good condition home in a 100+ year old neighborhood). For the fabulously wealthy it's just a phase in the cycle.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:52 AM   #299
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's cute how people think an economic downturn "hurts" the powerful.

Even I've learned a bit about how to be visciously advantageous. 6-12 months from now I will hop into a new house where the development incentives are moving to. I anticipate the bottom of the market will be just after that when out of state operations will swoop in. I and they will apply for every rebate on offer and fix the place up.

In 5 years I'll be at 2x-3x equity (mostly because I'm just following what's been decided, not because I'm a super genius).

Market resets are a huge opportunity for big interests to make cheap acquisitions.

People who have very little padding or insufficient assets hate it (I have just enough to play the game this time around for a hopefully good condition home in a 100+ year old neighborhood). For the fabulously wealthy it's just a phase in the cycle.
Wouldn't it be less risky to just buy up shares at their new low prices until recovery? I'd rather have an extra chunk of the S&P than a chunk of real estate.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:00 AM   #300
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Coronavirus will annihilate Trump's migration policy, when asylum seekers will be infected en masse and will require medical help.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:01 AM   #301
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

And I will double the amount I bet on Romney challenging Trump for the election (sometime in late April after the LDS conference).
Old 11th March 2020, 11:30 AM   #302
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
All Trump has to do to benefit economic recovery is STFU.

He can't do that. It's impossible for him. He'd sooner beat Michael Phelps in every Olympic swimming event than keep his fool mouth shut for one day.
I expect he is being told that by a lot of people in the GOP and his own advisers ,but, as usual, Trump will not listen.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:33 AM   #303
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And I will double the amount I bet on Romney challenging Trump for the election (sometime in late April after the LDS conference).

I am no fan of the LDS, but that smacks a little of religious bigotry.
What next? Biden will be taking orders from the Pope?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:33 AM   #304
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm torn between admiration that Trump apparently knows the word "rout" and contempt that he can't spell it.

^^^THIS^^^!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:38 AM   #305
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I am no fan of the LDS, but that smacks a little of religious bigotry.
What next? Biden will be taking orders from the Pope?
You must have misunderstood me if you think this smacks a little of religious bigotry.
It's 100% religious bigotry, because Romney's entire goal in life is to be the one who fulfills the White Horse Prophecy.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:39 AM   #306
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Coronavirus will annihilate Trump's migration policy, when asylum seekers will be infected en masse and will require medical help.
They may require medical help, but why do you think they will get it?

The concentration camps may with no intent and no action become death camps.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:42 AM   #307
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Vanity Fair Magazine, which will soon be out of business, and their third rate Fake reporters, who make up sources which don’t exist, wrote yet another phony & boring hit piece. The facts are just the opposite. Our team is doing a great job with CoronaVirus!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:46 AM   #308
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
They may require medical help, but why do you think they will get it?

The concentration camps may with no legally provable intent and no action become death camps.
If I may offer an enhancement...

"What? It's not like we were providing proper medical care before the coronavirus showed up."

Last edited by Babbylonian; 11th March 2020 at 11:47 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 12:39 PM   #309
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You must have misunderstood me if you think this smacks a little of religious bigotry.
It's 100% religious bigotry, because Romney's entire goal in life is to be the one who fulfills the White Horse Prophecy.
And your proof of that is....

BTW The White Horse Prophecy is NOT an official teaching of the LDS,in fact, the LDS authoraries have cautioned against regarded it as such.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 12:50 PM   #310
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And your proof of that is....

BTW The White Horse Prophecy is NOT an official teaching of the LDS,in fact, the LDS authoraries have cautioned against regarded it as such.
And Xenu isn't part of Scientology........
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 12:56 PM   #311
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Dow cratered again today.
The usual fixes are not working.
Only getting a grip on the virus will really improve things..and I don't see that happening for a long, long, time.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 12:58 PM   #312
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is Trump has built his whole presidency around how great everything is, and now he has a real crisis to face, and he is clueless on how to respond, and so, by default, he is sticking to his standard technique of attacking his enemies and claiming everything is just fine, the virus is nothing to worry about.
This is going to cause disaster, maybe edging to catastrophe.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 01:35 PM   #313
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Trump doubles down on "virus is no big thing";

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...message-125902
Now his never admit you were wrong obssessioi will actually kill people .We have a psychopath in the white house.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 01:43 PM   #314
llwyd
Muse

To be honest, the US health care system - and society - is probably way worse for coping with a pandemic than Italy. All those people not affording to self-quarantine combined with the crazily ineffective health care services that millions still have no access to. There will be lots of posturing and PR from the administration, and Trump is admittedly certainly good at bullexcreting, but that would really need to complemented by effective action on ground...
llwyd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 02:09 PM   #315
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump to address the nation tonight on the virus.
TUrn off your BS meters if you don't want them to explode.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 02:15 PM   #316
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Funny that Trump chooses to address the nation on the same day the stock market goes into Bear territory.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #317
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
To be honest, the US health care system - and society - is probably way worse for coping with a pandemic than Italy. All those people not affording to self-quarantine combined with the crazily ineffective health care services that millions still have no access to. There will be lots of posturing and PR from the administration, and Trump is admittedly certainly good at bullexcreting, but that would really need to complemented by effective action on ground...
But he's not, not even a little bit. Even his own supporters don't believe the things he says, often attempting to clarify what he meant before he comes out to clarify that he means exactly what he says, no matter how obvious it is that he's lying.

I'd be a lot happier if he actually could sling some convincing crap. Frankly, it's a good trait to have in a President, especially when the country is dealing with something difficult. When FDR said that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself, he knew very well that there was a lot more than that to fear - unemployment, homelessness, starvation, etc. He was slinging crap but it was effective crap. It was the kind of crap that inspired people to work harder to fix the things that weren't working.

The crap that Trumps slings just smells terrible and spreads misery.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 02:22 PM   #318
llwyd
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
But he's not, not even a little bit. Even his own supporters don't believe the things he says, often attempting to clarify what he meant before he comes out to clarify that he means exactly what he says, no matter how obvious it is that he's lying.
Well, surely to his base he is, on some essential level, I mean he must be. I think it's painfully obvious that he is a very incompetent, very dangerous person that should never hold a public office. But that's just me, what do I know: ca 48% of the American electorate voted him for the president of the bloody US of A, aka the leader of the free world. And you say he can't bullexcrete?

Last edited by llwyd; 11th March 2020 at 02:23 PM.
llwyd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 02:27 PM   #319
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I'd say Trump is toast.
So, what options does the Stockholder Class have available?

They can’t back another Republican at this late hour. They can’t expect anything useful to come from giving President Trump directions or an ultimatum. Sanders sure isn’t going to dance to their tune.

Besides, I suspect a fair number of the Stockholder Class hold the philosophy that there were enough hard and soft warning signs that anyone who was still heavily invested when the prices went into free fall deserves whatever happened to them.
Old 11th March 2020, 02:30 PM   #320
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I'd say Trump is toast.
Trump was deliberately talking up a bubble. The best, most beautiful bubble in America's history, funded by the biggest, most perfect debt ever.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics