ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st March 2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Suddenly
No Punting

The coming domestic violence crisis

Some next-level pessimism. Assuming that the lockdown situations last for three plus months, which seems very likely at this point.

Combine forced staying at home for long periods and concern about financial well being and I'd guess that this pandemic will result in a massive upswing in domestic violence. The first thing I thought about when there was a ton of gun buying in the US was that there are going to be a slew of domestic shootings in about two months when the psychological effects of being stuck at home start to set in.

It is hard for the victim of domestic violence to escape in the best of times, much less when going to a shelter might expose them to a scary disease. Or people who would normally take them in are reluctant due to both health and material concerns. Or even to call the cops on a partner or parent who would likely be headed to a pandemic-ravaged jail. It would even be a manipulation tactic by an abuser. "If you call the cops I'll be sent off to die" and so on.

Without intervention, these things can spiral to where either the abuser finally kills the victim, or causes injures needing medical attention in a time when the medical system is stretched to the hilt. Or less often the victim ends up using deadly force because they feel there is no other option.

What to do about this is at best unclear. I've been generally and marginally successful at advocating for, based on public health reasons, the release of prisoners that don't present an immediate violent risk to the public. It occurs to me that making space to deal with this is another ground I should be raising in making these arguments. Sometimes that will be the only way to immediately deal with an abuse situation. Reducing incarceration rates for non-dangerous people will take some of this pressure off.

Other than that, it is probably time to start taking way more seriously issues with social isolation. Awareness, remote access to therapists, etc.

(There are obviously similar issues with those isolated alone. Suicides and various freak-outs are going to become more and more common. Isolation is a sort of torture for a reason.)
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 09:21 AM   #2
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Some next-level pessimism. Assuming that the lockdown situations last for three plus months, which seems very likely at this point.

Combine forced staying at home for long periods and concern about financial well being and I'd guess that this pandemic will result in a massive upswing in domestic violence. The first thing I thought about when there was a ton of gun buying in the US was that there are going to be a slew of domestic shootings in about two months when the psychological effects of being stuck at home start to set in.

It is hard for the victim of domestic violence to escape in the best of times, much less when going to a shelter might expose them to a scary disease. Or people who would normally take them in are reluctant due to both health and material concerns. Or even to call the cops on a partner or parent who would likely be headed to a pandemic-ravaged jail. It would even be a manipulation tactic by an abuser. "If you call the cops I'll be sent off to die" and so on.

Without intervention, these things can spiral to where either the abuser finally kills the victim, or causes injures needing medical attention in a time when the medical system is stretched to the hilt. Or less often the victim ends up using deadly force because they feel there is no other option.

What to do about this is at best unclear. I've been generally and marginally successful at advocating for, based on public health reasons, the release of prisoners that don't present an immediate violent risk to the public. It occurs to me that making space to deal with this is another ground I should be raising in making these arguments. Sometimes that will be the only way to immediately deal with an abuse situation. Reducing incarceration rates for non-dangerous people will take some of this pressure off.

Other than that, it is probably time to start taking way more seriously issues with social isolation. Awareness, remote access to therapists, etc.

(There are obviously similar issues with those isolated alone. Suicides and various freak-outs are going to become more and more common. Isolation is a sort of torture for a reason.)
I'm so glad you posted this, it has been something I have been thinking about a lot lately. This situation is putting a great deal of pressure on people, including those already guilty of domestic violence. This seems like a perfect storm for people at risk.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:34 AM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

On Golic and Wingo yesterday, they posed the question: what is there going to be more of as a consequence of this crisis: babies or breakup?
Old 21st March 2020, 10:38 AM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I read that divorces in China spiked because of spouses being locked down together.
Old 21st March 2020, 11:04 AM   #5
chrispy
Muse

A friend of mine is already cracking because of the lockdown here, so it wouldn't surprise me if forced shut ins become a problem with couples, too.
Old 21st March 2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
A friend of mine is already cracking because of the lockdown here, so it wouldn't surprise me if forced shut ins become a problem with couples, too.

You can still take the dog for a walk. just sayin'.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 12:20 PM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Hmm, well there's your pandemic pick-me-up. I hadn't thought about domestic violence, but it occurred to me that post lockdown I expect to see an increase in home working as employees argue that if they did it through necessity there's no reason they shouldn't continue to do so. While this will initially seem to be a great thing, and will have benefits in terms of costs for workers and companies, and reduced pollution, but in the long term I think it's going to cause a massive increase in isolation.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 01:21 PM   #8
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Kind of. We have new curfew laws coming inot effect tomorrow. Can't be on the street after 4pm, open air market has been closed (no other source for fresh produce unless favors from friends with farmland). Guatemala, BTW.
Old 21st March 2020, 01:44 PM   #9
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Yesterday, I shuddered to think of the additional abuse I would have suffered by my parents if this had happened when I was 12 or 13 instead of today. I lived in fear for my life.

Bad family dynamics, bad relationships, are pressure cookers. Those situations, kept locked down indoors, will become increasingly volatile. The danger is real. Abusers, especially when they feel their power is threatened, be it by situational circumstances like loss of work or lack or money, lash out on the vulnerable. Terrible things will be happening in people's homes. I would say, if we thought it helped, pray for them. Spare a thought for those poor souls.
Old 21st March 2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I know schools in the Netherlands are looking into how to deal with children that normally use school as an escape for a bad home situation.
But it's a very difficult thing to do, because
A: you don't know each case and
B: How do you tell parents we want your child out of your home without further aggravating the situation.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 02:23 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Domestic violence has started...

Mother-of-three 'launches attack on husband and children because she was furious coronavirus had closed their school'

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A mother is being investigated by police after allegedly attacking her husband and children in a drunken rage over coronavirus school closures.

Jessica Cambray, from Provo, Utah in the US, was arrested on suspicion of two counts of child abuse, intoxication and domestic violence in the presence of a child, according to Deseret News.

Police were called to the family home, where the couple live with their three sons, two aged 12 and one aged nine, after a row over the Covid-19 outbreak erupted just after midnight on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old is said to have pushed her husband and was then 'choking' him, the children told police, before allegedly kicking one of the boys and twisting the arm of another who tried to help their father.

Cambray, who was convicted of domestic violence in 2007 and 2011, told officers she slapped her husband in the throat with an open hand...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-closures.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62.jpg (23.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 21st March 2020, 03:50 PM   #12
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Some next-level pessimism.
I described the third epidemic in the Covid thread yesterday.

1 - the viral epidemic
2 - the financial epidemic of bankruptcies and foreclosures
3 - mental illness epidemic caused by stress

#3 will manifest itself in domestic abuse and no doubt the old faithful familicide.
Old 21st March 2020, 07:29 PM   #13
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
Yesterday, I shuddered to think of the additional abuse I would have suffered by my parents if this had happened when I was 12 or 13 instead of today. I lived in fear for my life.

Bad family dynamics, bad relationships, are pressure cookers. Those situations, kept locked down indoors, will become increasingly volatile. The danger is real. Abusers, especially when they feel their power is threatened, be it by situational circumstances like loss of work or lack or money, lash out on the vulnerable. Terrible things will be happening in people's homes. I would say, if we thought it helped, pray for them. Spare a thought for those poor souls.
I'm so sorry you went through this, as I did. Also, I spent awhile working for a Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline. Men and women who were left traumatized with fear. They knew that any added stresses to the abuser meant more vulnerability for them, the victim.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:13 PM   #14
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Not just domestic violence

Those involved in addiction treatment & recovery are concerned as well:

Quote:
"As many churches, coffee shops and community centers have closed their doors in an effort to help reduce the spread of coronavirus, those in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction say they have been forced to change their routines. Group therapy, Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings, and individual therapy sessions are being replaced by phone calls and remote outreach efforts.

"Those dealing with drug and alcohol addictions, and the professionals who work to support them, say they fear many people will relapse without the community and accountability often required to stay clean."
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2020, 03:38 AM   #15
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Those involved in addiction treatment & recovery are concerned as well:
That was another thing. Beyond relapse issues there could be a mass involuntary detox issue among those still addicted. As much as the illegal trade in opiates is a dangerous menace, shutting it off completely would have some nasty, nasty effects and lead to some serious health situations when, again, the system is stretched.

People going through opiate withdrawal are not going to be the most rational people w/r/t criminal and dangerous behavior.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:53 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In one of the many coronovirus threads I did make a joke about addiction and addicts but it is a real issue with the lock downs. And I can see it surfacing many issues for a group that is often skirted over when we discuss "drug users" i.e. the better off who usually can afford their drug habit and suffer little visible harm from their usage. These people are going to be cut off from their suppliers.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:55 PM   #17
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'll just drop this here for anyone with anxiety issues, from the master of anxiety, Stephen Fry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-51995...naging-anxiety
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:19 AM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Saw this meme the other day:

https://twitter.com/dorru12/status/1239454636886691840
Old 23rd March 2020, 09:55 AM   #19
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Some next-level pessimism.
Don't get too pessimistic. There may be an increase, but maybe not that much.

Remember when there was a claim going around that there was an upsurge in domestic violence during/after the Superbowl? Except there wasn't. It was an urban myth. All sorts of explanations were developed to explain a phenomenon that simply didn't exist.

I'm not saying there won't be any increase. It's quite plausible there will, and there's no data yet to say there won't be. But on the other hand, there's no data to say that there will be, or that any increase will be massive. My suspicion is that there will be an increase, but not by a huge margin. Which would be unfortunate, but not a society-level catastrophe.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:33 AM   #20
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Did Italy release the military on the street as a preventative measure or in response to a deteriorating situation? The only news article I could find indicated that a single hospital in Italy had been looted.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:05 AM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm delighted to have to spend more time with the missus.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 06:56 PM   #22
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Jeez, I hope your crystal ball is more accurate than my cynicism.

Given a potential 3 or more months locked in a house together, I can see the domestic violence being worse than the disease.

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Did Italy release the military on the street as a preventative measure or in response to a deteriorating situation? The only news article I could find indicated that a single hospital in Italy had been looted.
I hope that's not true.
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:39 PM   #23
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I'm so sorry you went through this, as I did. Also, I spent awhile working for a Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline. Men and women who were left traumatized with fear. They knew that any added stresses to the abuser meant more vulnerability for them, the victim.
Thank you <3
Those who know, know.

I hope that it isn't the case, of course. But I am absolutely certain that there are some truly miserable people yearning to be away from some very nasty tempers during this ordeal.
Old 24th March 2020, 03:55 AM   #24
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I thought the idea was to get some time away from the wife?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 08:17 AM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"

Another factor may be the lack of third-party reporting as children aren't in communal care situations.

Calls to Illinois’ Child Abuse Hotline Dropped by Nearly Half Amid the Spread of Coronavirus. Here’s Why That’s Not Good News.

Quote:
With schools, day care centers and preschools around Illinois shut down as part of statewide efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus, calls to the Department of Children and Family Services’ abuse and neglect hotline have dropped dramatically over the past week.

But child welfare experts and others don’t believe this decline reflects a decrease in abuse; on the contrary, many fear that children are now at a greater risk of being hurt as families, many facing additional stress over work and health issues, hunker down in isolation.

Because children aren’t in school or child care, the teachers, social workers and counselors most likely to spot signs of abuse and who are required by state law to report those allegations, can’t.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 11:13 AM   #26
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Another factor may be the lack of third-party reporting as children aren't in communal care situations.
What a world we've built for ourselves.
Old 24th March 2020, 12:15 PM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Remember when there was a claim going around that there was an upsurge in domestic violence during/after the Superbowl? Except there wasn't. It was an urban myth. All sorts of explanations were developed to explain a phenomenon that simply didn't exist.

I'm not saying there won't be any increase. It's quite plausible there will, and there's no data yet to say there won't be. But on the other hand, there's no data to say that there will be, or that any increase will be massive. My suspicion is that there will be an increase, but not by a huge margin. Which would be unfortunate, but not a society-level catastrophe.
There is a lot of evidence of spikes in domestic violence over holidays such as Christmas (at least in the UK) therefore to speculate that there will now be more with an even more enforced close contact situation would seem to be a safe speculation.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:38 PM   #28
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post

Calls to Illinois’ Child Abuse Hotline Dropped by Nearly Half Amid the Spread of Coronavirus. Here’s Why That’s Not Good News.
I wished I had seen that one, as I had just entered a comment in the Comments section of a Washington Post article as a response to someone trying use this & other potential social problems discussed here as a "justification" to lift the "shelter-in-place" restrictions.

As to why this is a problem - in this state anyone that works with children - in any* capacity - is considered to be a "Mandated Reporter," and is required - by law - to report any suspected child abuse to the state.

* And I do mean ANY capacity - in the job I work at for the City (at least until the shut-down,) the closest we came to children were the applications for Child Care co-payment aid, and we STILL have to undergo yearly training for this ...

Last edited by carlvs; 24th March 2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 03:11 PM   #29
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm delighted to have to spend more time with the missus.
Yes, but have you ever thought of this from her point of view?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #30
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.policeone.com/coronaviru...tLaFr2ZYozZk3/

An example of what is going on.
Old 25th March 2020, 11:01 AM   #31
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There is a lot of evidence of spikes in domestic violence over holidays such as Christmas (at least in the UK) therefore to speculate that there will now be more with an even more enforced close contact situation would seem to be a safe speculation.
But that's my point: it's just speculation at this point.

And the dynamic now isn't equivalent to Christmas. The issue isn't simply enforced contact. At Christmas, people have this expectation that things are supposed to be happy and nice. And when things don't play out the way they want or expect (because they rarely do), that doesn't only create stress, it can create anger towards the people that aren't living up to your expectations.

But what are the expectations here? This is unprecedented. People don't know what to expect. So it's not a given that all abusers are just going to be more abusive, let alone how much more abusive. Human behavior is more complex than that. The overall effect of this is really unknown.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 11:07 AM   #32
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yep, it's happening here already, before the actual lockdown even began.

We should merge this with the anger thread, because this pisses me off as well.
Old 25th March 2020, 11:15 AM   #33
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

"Coming" domestic violence crisis?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 03:01 PM   #34
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
"Coming" domestic violence crisis?
The words "increase in" are missing, and it is an awkward title.
Old 25th March 2020, 08:51 PM   #35
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Our government has allocated extra money for women's refuges in the certainty it will be needed.
Old 26th March 2020, 01:33 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Our government has allocated extra money for women's refuges in the certainty it will be needed.
Is your government schizophrenic? On the one hand doesn't listen to the voices about preventing the spread, then goes and does something smart.
Old 26th March 2020, 01:53 AM   #37
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Is your government schizophrenic? On the one hand doesn't listen to the voices about preventing the spread, then goes and does something smart.
They were the same financially, introducing a package entirely aimed at employees.

I think the trouble is - and it applies to almost everywhere - that going too early was seen as politically vulnerable, because if they cost the country billions for nothing, they'd be strung up, whereas if you wait until it's a genuine problem, everyone buys into stopping it.

Dumb, but predictable.

At least our lot did take action a lot earlier on the growth curve than many.
Old 28th March 2020, 01:08 AM   #38
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Lockdowns around the world bring rise in domestic violence

As predictable as it was, it's still heartbreaking.
Old 28th March 2020, 05:02 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Our largest charity for supporting kids, Childline is reporting huge increases in numbers of calls. Now lots of them will probably be in regards to anxiety regarding the virus but I wouldn’t be surprised if many are also because they can’t escape their bad households for the regular 8 hours at school. I know the charity has reported on increased volume of calls during the long summer holidays and the lockdown is the same but turned up to 11 because of all the other factors that will be stressing even the best households.
Old 28th March 2020, 10:56 AM   #40
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Lockdowns around the world bring rise in domestic violence

As predictable as it was, it's still heartbreaking.
NZ has already noticed an increase in calls and we're al of three days into an official month-long lockdown, which will almost certainly be three months.

Still, look on the bright side - bugger all people are killing or seriously injuring themselves in car crashes and sports incidents.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events