ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Rapture Ready Index hits 184. (5 points off record high in Oct 2016)

https://www.raptureready.com/rapture-ready-index/

It is a sum of 45 factors rated 1-5.

spoiler alert: the folks who run the site do not think very much of liberals.
Old 25th March 2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ask them if we can have their stuff after they are whisked away.

If so, could they please publish a comprehensive list right now. I need to furnish a new house, and I could do with a new car.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 06:55 PM   #3
Thor 2
Philosopher

Love this little vid made after Harold Campings rapture prediction failed to happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Kl...layer_embedded
Old 25th March 2020, 09:43 PM   #4
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

They have a message board and rule number one is No Date Setting!

I think they do it to prevent arguments, but not having dates on record. does make them look slightly less stupid.
Old 26th March 2020, 04:18 AM   #5
Ulf Nereng
Muse

It only took them 2000 years to figure out that date setting is a bad idea, but better late than never, right?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 08:42 AM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
It only took them 2000 years to figure out that date setting is a bad idea, but better late than never, right?
It's been a few years since I was visited by the Jehovah Witnesses but, when the last pair showed up, I did ask them when the World was going to end. !919,1923, 1927, 1930, etc, etc? The younger one in training looked somewhat flustered but the older one said, "We don't make predictions any more."

Old 27th March 2020, 12:00 PM   #7
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Rapture Ready?? That brings back memories...

Last time I dived into that cesspit was when we were all doing successful cold readings for some of the board members to prove Martha Stewart was a fraud.
Old 27th March 2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Just go already.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 07:01 AM   #9
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

The rapture metrics seem very USA centric.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 09:13 PM   #10
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
The rapture metrics seem very USA centric.
Funny how so many people living in the so called best country on Earth can't wait for it all to end.

But they're armed to the teeth against the slim possibility of a home invasion.

On the one hand they crave the call to Jeebus's bosom in a world-ending cataclysm, but still fear being taken by less spectacular means. How do they reconcile that?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 09:38 PM   #11
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
They have a message board and rule number one is No Date Setting!

I think they do it to prevent arguments, but not having dates on record. does make them look slightly less stupid.
Can't they just agree on "nigh"?

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'll rapture! Tomorrow! It's always...A day away!
Old 30th March 2020, 04:34 PM   #12
Fidelio
Muse

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Rapture Ready?? That brings back memories...

Last time I dived into that cesspit was when we were all doing successful cold readings for some of the board members to prove Martha Stewart was a fraud.
I saw what you did there.
Old 1st April 2020, 05:44 AM   #13
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If it weren't for the stay at home order, I'd be out leaving small piles of clothes with a little dry ice and water in them near churches.
Old 1st April 2020, 09:13 AM   #14
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post

It's taken 2000 years to still not figure out that "Behold I come quickly" isn't strictly accurate.

And I the only one amused by getting retirement savings adverts on the page?

On a more serious note I took a look through their forum a while back, god it was depressing. So many people who are so miserable in their lives that they are literally praying for the world to end.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 09:32 AM   #15
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
https://www.raptureready.com/rapture-ready-index/

It is a sum of 45 factors rated 1-5.

spoiler alert: the folks who run the site do not think very much of liberals.
most normals don't. They hate industry, and the economy and want to tax everyone into the stone age.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 10:27 AM   #16
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
most normals don't. They hate industry, and the economy and want to tax everyone into the stone age.
Yeah, the selfish librul bastards, wanting the super rich to pay a little more tax so the poorest in society can eat. librul bastards.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 04:40 PM   #17
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Yeah, the selfish librul bastards, wanting the super rich to pay a little more tax* so the poorest in society can eat. librul bastards.
*and/or a reasonable living wage. Commie bastards!

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 05:04 PM   #18
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
*and/or a reasonable living wage. Commie bastards!
Hey pinkie, one step at a time.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:18 PM   #19
Thor 2
Philosopher

Wow!.......... Index has climbed to 186 folks.

Jesus is getting the Golden Chariot out of its heavenly garage.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:53 PM   #20
RedStapler

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Wow!.......... Index has climbed to 186 folks.

Jesus is getting the Golden Chariot out of its heavenly garage.
I have it on good authority that he drives a Honda

"For I did not speak of my own Accord" - John 12:49
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:05 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post

Da-boom tish.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 06:38 PM   #22
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post

Nah, a Plymouth. He drove the money changers out of the Temple in a Fury.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 08:05 PM   #23
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Hilarious! Please, stop it!

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 13th April 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 14th April 2020, 02:02 AM   #24
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

It clearly says he travels on a donkey and an ass so I assumed it was a Dodge.

Old 14th April 2020, 03:34 AM   #25
RedStapler

RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 02:08 PM   #26
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Funny how so many people living in the so called best country on Earth can't wait for it all to end.

But they're armed to the teeth against the slim possibility of a home invasion.

On the one hand they crave the call to Jeebus's bosom in a world-ending cataclysm, but still fear being taken by less spectacular means. How do they reconcile that?
It kind of surprises me how man religious people seem to be really afraid of dying. If you truly believe that after your death, an afterlife of eternal paradise awaits you, wouldn't you look forward to death, or at least not be afraid of it?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 02:33 PM   #27
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It kind of surprises me how man religious people seem to be really afraid of dying. If you truly believe that after your death, an afterlife of eternal paradise awaits you, wouldn't you look forward to death, or at least not be afraid of it?

Not making the cut is the fear the faithful have. That the faith they have may not be quite up to the right standard. If you're a Catholic are you up to date with your confessions and received absolution perhaps? Lots of stuff in the scriptures about the long odds against making the grade.

My mother "got religion" late in life and was very afraid of dying. Her late found devotion seemed not to give her any solace unfortunately. I wonder about the claims that religious faith gives comfort to be honest.
Old 16th April 2020, 02:39 PM   #28
Deadie
Scholar

In fairness, there is a difference between death and dying. Dying can potentially be a prolonged and painful process that no reasonable person should want to suffer through, irrespective of the inevitable outcome or their particular opinions on spirituality or an afterlife.

Last edited by Deadie; 16th April 2020 at 02:42 PM.
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 05:33 PM   #29
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Deadie View Post
In fairness, there is a difference between death and dying. Dying can potentially be a prolonged and painful process that no reasonable person should want to suffer through, irrespective of the inevitable outcome or their particular opinions on spirituality or an afterlife.
This. With the added bonus that the faithful believe that if the Rapture comes they'll get to skip the whole dying bit altogether and watch from Heaven as everyone who disagreed with them gets tortured on Earth.

Old 20th April 2020, 08:40 PM   #30
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Am I childish for laughing uproariously at the fact their banner tagline is "Behold! I come quickly!"?

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2020, 08:57 AM   #31
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Am I childish for laughing uproariously at the fact their banner tagline is "Behold! I come quickly!"?
**cough** Post #14 **cough**

Old 22nd April 2020, 04:57 AM   #32
dann
Penultimate Amazing

It shouldn't surprise you. There is a big difference between knowing based on observation and believing (even 'truly') based on wishful thinking.
Believers are not unaware of the trick they are playing on themselves. Being in denial is different from being unaware.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 04:57 AM   #33
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
**cough** Post #14 **cough**
MarkCorrigan was, I believe, thinking more 'Carry On' than you were.
Old 24th April 2020, 07:50 AM   #34
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Yup I was.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2020, 08:27 AM   #35
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Go to your room!
Old 24th April 2020, 08:36 AM   #36
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

OMG, I need to get my smut detector checked! How did I miss an entendre so obviously double?

Old 24th April 2020, 09:03 AM   #37
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Mate, that was a treble!!

It's a Brit thing, we were brought up on bawdy Ealing capers.
Old 25th April 2020, 02:32 AM   #38
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Mate, that was a treble!!

It's a Brit thing, we were brought up on bawdy Ealing capers.
I am a Brit! I was brought (dragged?) up on Carry On and Dick Emery!

Old 27th April 2020, 05:04 AM   #39
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Awesome 😊

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy