IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 9/11 conspiracies , anti-semitism , conspiracy theories

View Poll Results: Was this a coincidence?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 7 29.17%
On Planet X, there are no coincidences 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th April 2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Allen773
Graduate Poster

The "4000 Jews didn't show up to work in the WTC" was the first major 9/11 CT

Coincidence?

See also: the notion that Larry Silverstein's decision to 'pull' WTC7 was nefarious, the initial speculation that Mossad was involved, etc.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I don't think it was the first, I seem to remember stories about explosives starting to circulate the same day. Sure, there are anti-Semites in the truth movement, but don't over-egg that pudding.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2016, 09:10 AM   #3
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Pools of molten steel and no plane at the Pentagon were being tossed around well before I heard any of the others about not showing up to work.
Old 22nd April 2016, 07:57 PM   #4
dropzone
Master Poster

I heard about the missing Jews on what, 9/12? 9/13? Whichever, it was the first I heard. Besides the one about Bin Laden ordering it, which came along immediately, of course.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I don't think it was the first, I seem to remember stories about explosives starting to circulate the same day. Sure, there are anti-Semites in the truth movement, but don't over-egg that pudding.

Dave
I agree with not over-egging the anti-semitic pudding. However, given that anti-semitism is pretty much the mother of all conspiracy theories (does anyone seriously disagree with that?), it could not surprise that anti-semites were among the first to come up with a knee-jerk CT. Especially since there was the other knee-jerk that immediately suspected muslim extremists (which turned out to be true; but I remember very distinctly how uneasy I felt when OBL was pretty much fixed in the public record as the mastermind a wee bit too soon - like the next day - before corroborated evidence seemed plausibly to exist).
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:47 AM   #6
KenRam
Banned

I SAW THEM DO IT.
KenRam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:47 AM   #7
FenerFan
Illuminator

The first CT I heard about was that the Pentagon was hit by a cruise misslle. IIRC, it was just a couple of days after the attacks and was from a French writer.
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
The first CT I heard about was that the Pentagon was hit by a cruise misslle. IIRC, it was just a couple of days after the attacks and was from a French writer.

Thierry Meyssan, who has lived in Syria through all of that country's "crisis" and is still very much around.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:43 PM   #9
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Thierry Meyssan, ...[/url].
Wow, he also has no clue the puts on stocks on 9/11 were a hedge for long positions; his ignorance has no bounds on 9/11 claims. It appears he makes up lies due to hate or politics; no evidence.

His fantasy version of 9/11 might of been the first lies about 9/11 I found on the Internet. A missile hit the Pentagon, almost as idiotic as the CIT NoC.
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:51 PM   #10
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by KenRam View Post
I SAW THEM DO IT.
I bet you also saw the infamous Mossad agent Iceberg sink the Titanic.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:13 PM   #11
dropzone
Master Poster

I saw what you did there.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:25 PM   #12
Whip
Graduate Poster

wow. this is actually a thread when none of the conspiracy nuts has bothered to figure out how many thousands of people had to be involved without saying a word after all these years, to support their conspiracy?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:33 PM   #13
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
wow. this is actually a thread when none of the conspiracy nuts has bothered to figure out how many thousands of people had to be involved without saying a word after all these years, to support their conspiracy?
Truthers are amazing at this tactic, but it seems quite often they don't realize most of us can read and at the very least have average memories.

Don't worry this thread will die in a few days and the twofer brigade will act like it never existed.

Their very honest that way.
Old 24th April 2016, 12:46 AM   #14
KenRam
Banned

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I bet you also saw the infamous Mossad agent Iceberg sink the Titanic.
Iceberg, Goldberg - what's the difference?
KenRam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 01:37 AM   #15
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Forgive me for asking, but I'm way behind the curve on 911 stuff. I don't really have a horse in that race because I'm into other things that I invest my time and energy into.

My innocent question is, did 4,000 jews not show up for work? Has this been verified or has it been disproven?

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 02:43 AM   #16
Ape of Good Hope
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
My innocent question is, did 4,000 jews not show up for work?

Computer says "no":

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/israel.asp

ETA - On Yahoo Answers someone asked:

"Is it true that 4000 jews missed work on 9/11?"

to which some wag answered:

"World-wide... I would imagine that number would be fair"

Last edited by Ape of Good Hope; 24th April 2016 at 02:53 AM.
Ape of Good Hope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 03:07 AM   #17
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
My innocent question is, did 4,000 jews not show up for work? Has this been verified or has it been disproven?
Shortly after the attacks, the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem issued a list of about 4,000 Israeli citizens that it believed were in the area of the WTC or the Pentagon (which may have just meant anywhere in New York or Washington), and whose safety it wanted to check on; an entirely understandable thing for a foreign ministry to want to do. Most of these people were contacted over the next few days and found to be safe. The idea that they all worked at the WTC is a complete fabrication, as is the substitution of "Jews" for "Israeli citizens", suggesting as it does that these may have been 4,000 US citizens of Jewish ethnicity. So, your answer is that the story has been investigated, its origins determined and its content totally discredited.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 02:46 PM   #18
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Not sure it would count as a conspiracy theory as such, but I remember having an aviation website I frequent open in the first few hours after the attack, and someone there posting a link to an old discussion thread, in which a user asked what would happen if a Boeing 767 (I think, it might have been a 707) were to hit the World Trade Center.

Naturally, mild panic ensued and some members reported said user to the FBI, thinking he was somehow involved in the attacks. Said user, a high school student at the time, later related getting a call from an FBI in the middle of marching band practice
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2016, 09:07 PM   #19
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Dave
I believe this is correct. While those stories evolved into bombs, missiles and no-planes which were quickly proven stupid, internet-savvy trolls made a "documentary" that promoted thermite. Since that video traveled at the "Speed of Stupid" (since renamed "Gone Viral") It reached a vast audience of idiots faster than reason could respond. Repeated debunkings eventually whittled the vast audience of idiots down to the trolls and con artists who remain to this day.
Old 30th April 2016, 06:46 PM   #20
Alareth
Philosopher

My memory is a bit hazy on it, but I seem to recall that the first screams of conspiracy were posted by The Web Fairy within just a few hours of the first collapse.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2016, 06:36 AM   #21
gypsyjackson
Master Poster

Shortly after the attacks, the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem issued a list of about 4,000 Israeli citizens that it believed were in the area of the WTC or the Pentagon (which may have just meant anywhere in New York or Washington), and whose safety it wanted to check on; an entirely understandable thing for a foreign ministry to want to do. Most of these people were contacted over the next few days and found to be safe. The idea that they all worked at the WTC is a complete fabrication, as is the substitution of "Jews" for "Israeli citizens", suggesting as it does that these may have been 4,000 US citizens of Jewish ethnicity. So, your answer is that the story has been investigated, its origins determined and its content totally discredited.

Dave
It's also worth stressing that this wasn't a special case; it is what most responsible governments do in disaster situations - if you live in a country which you're not a citizen, and you register with your country's embassy, then they should try to contact you in the event of a catastrophe. For example, the UK embassies contacted people all over affected regions of SE Asia when the tsunami hit in 2005.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:52 AM   #22
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
My memory is a bit hazy on it, but I seem to recall that the first screams of conspiracy were posted by The Web Fairy within just a few hours of the first collapse.
is she still around, or has she finally been sent somewhere for her own safety??

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories