IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 9/11 , 9/11 conspiracies

Old 3rd May 2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Bitca
Student

A new, appalling truther site

The site I speak of is bazantmisconduct dot com and, as the title suggests, goes beyond the usual truther nonsense to actively attacking Bazant. Its mission statement is

Quote:
This website attempts to provide sufficient information to encourage a campus wide discussion at Northwestern University as to whether Professor Zdenek Bazant’s published work on the fall of the WTC towers on 9/11/01 should be a cause for university wide concern.
and includes such gems as

Quote:
His first paper on this matter, written with one of his graduate students, was submitted to peer review TWO DAYS after 9/11. While this does not show that he began the paper before 9/11/01, that possibility should be considered.

The "research" papers he lists that take issue with Professor Bazant's theory include are mostly from JONES, including Tony Szamboti's missing jolt paper and David Chandler's execrable 2010 paper. He also includes two Jonathan Cole gems.

I've crossed paths with David Slesinger, the creator of the website, on Quora. He is usually very polite (unlike the other truthers there) and pretends he wants to start a dialog with people, but of course he's a true believer who wants to proselytize. He claims to know at least basic physics but ducks anything concrete. I actually got him to acknowledge that things don't fall at a constant acceleration of 2/3 g, but then he quickly said he'd have to consult with Tim Eastman. (He knows some of the major players, such as Chandler, Eastman, and MacQueen.)

There are lots of truther sites, of course, but one dedicated to trashing a man is a new low for me. So I thought I'd bring it to your attention.
Bitca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:28 AM   #2
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

http://bazantmisconduct.com/

Bazant might of done his first draft on a napkin, Bazant like guys can fill blackboards with equations without notes...

What an idiotic web site - a legacy of woo

How can 9/11 truth nuts get nuttier? See bazantmisconduct.com or, Link Bazant to the inside job fantasy

Last edited by beachnut; 3rd May 2016 at 10:31 AM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:39 AM   #3
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome Bitca!

Beachnut said it well. Idiotic. Pure woo. It's always irritating when someone well educated promotes nonsense, because there are always people who assume they must know what they are talking about.

No.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:58 AM   #4
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

http://bazantmisconduct.com/

Quote:
For those whose expertise lies outside the realm of hard science, we offer these links to two 10 minute videos by a practicing civil engineer about conservation of momentum. Newton’s Laws, including conservation of momentum, are usually taught in high school.
Two videos by Cole. This is sad. Guess David Slesinger failed to take high school physics.
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

I just finished reading Galileo's middle finger by Alice dreger, who has defended many others in academia who have been harassed and had their careers tarnished. Maybe he should contact her. Incidentally she used to be at northwestern, he probably knows her.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Bitca
Student

Thanks, Beechnut. I'm not allowed to post links yet. Guess I better participate more instead of lurking.

Turns out good old Tony S announced the site at debate politics.

David's also been "truthing" since 2002, first on ae911truth, and now on 911truth. (The difference being there are no architects or engineers on the latter?)

And, oh my, I just stumbled on this earlier site, also by Slesinger: ChallengingChomsky, which includes this bit:

Quote:
David plans to perform an act of nonviolent civil disobedience at a yet to be determined venue, and, if charged with trespass, plead guilty and serve time in jail in an effort to touch Prof. Chomsky heart.
He is, or was, the "operations manager for the NineElevenTruthCoin". Anyone hear of that?

It's kind of pathetic that he's wasted 14 years of his life on this stuff. And that I spent a fair amount of time over the past 3 months or so trying to have a sane conversation with him.

Mod InfoURL's added by your friendly, neighborhood moderator.
Posted By:Loss Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 3rd May 2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Discovered something new.
Bitca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 03:14 PM   #7
pgimeno
Illuminator

Under "Research papers which take issue with Professor Bazant’s theory of the collapses", there's just one which is not a truther site.

I followed the link. I'd say it's interesting for structural engineers. It basically consists of experiments showing that the energy dissipation of a buckling column as it develops hinges may have been underestimated by Bazant. That's not even remotely similar to a "misconduct". I also note that the first listed co-author has collaborated with Szamboti in the "Missing Jolt" paper.

And of course, I can't help noticing there's a donation button.
pgimeno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 03:45 PM   #8
malbec
Muse

Is it 84 % of Americans who now believe the Official 9/11 report is nonsense ?
Those who haven't followed the money look increasingly foolish .
How soon before the conspiracy deniers will be regarded in the same way as sane people regard Holocaust deniers ?
malbec is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 03:50 PM   #9
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Malbec View Post
How soon before the conspiracy deniers will be regarded in the same way as sane people regard Holocaust deniers ?
Where did you get this figure?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 3rd May 2016 at 03:54 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 04:02 PM   #10
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

lol, so your make up fake numbers so you can follow the crowd who can't figure out 9/11 after 14 years? Stand up and be an individual...
How much did the knives cost?
Good to see you don't deny the Holocaust; some 9/11 truth followers do. Guess getting the Holocaust right and 9/11 wrong puts you at 50 percent for reality.

But did you have something to add on the case of the dolt who started the Bazant attack web site - follow the money, the guy is asking for donations to attack Bazant. Keep up the failed 9/11 truth claims; it takes massive lack of knowledge to believe 9/11 truth claims. Seems most 9/11 truth followers are over qualified.

Love the irony...
Those who haven't followed the money ... look increasingly foolish .

Last edited by beachnut; 3rd May 2016 at 04:09 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 04:41 PM   #11
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Seeing the only people who you have have proven themselves, and even openly admitted
They were intellectually dishonest, who care?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:04 PM   #12
Mark F
Graduate Poster

The current AE911T led smear campaign against Bazant reminds me very much of their NIST Fraud smear compaign from two years ago and is likely to be even less effective.

Northwestern University actually spells out what constitutes misconduct quite clearly:

Quote:
Research misconduct is defined as fabrication, falsification, plagiarism, or other serious deviation from commonly accepted practices in the relevant scientific community for proposing, performing or reviewing research, or in reporting research results. Research misconduct does not include honest error or differences in opinion.
Simple. Disagreement does not = misconduct.
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:31 PM   #13
FalseFlag
Banned

I like the website.
FalseFlag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:43 PM   #14
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by RogueKitten View Post
I just finished reading Galileo's middle finger by Alice dreger, who has defended many others in academia who have been harassed and had their careers tarnished. Maybe he should contact her. Incidentally she used to be at northwestern, he probably knows her.
http://www.amazon.com/Galileos-Middl...+middle+finger is where you can read more about and even order it............

Sounds good to me!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:56 PM   #15
fuelair
Banned

Not even close to 30% and most of them live in their parent's basements eating Cheez Whiz and candy bars while fapping to their favorite online places that use their idiocies to sell them crap for survival planning. And trying to beat each others tales of the evul konspericey people..........http://www.amazon.com/Galileos-Middl...middle+fingere this helps you!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:05 PM   #16
fuelair
Banned

Another duplicating error?????????

Last edited by fuelair; 3rd May 2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 4th May 2016, 12:12 AM   #17
Ape of Good Hope
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
I like the website.

Be sure to donate
Ape of Good Hope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 12:24 AM   #18
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

It's all over pal. Truthers are viewed with the same level of contempt as Holocaust and Moon landing deniers by practically everyone who doesn't get their news from Russia Today. And rightfully so.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 12:29 AM   #19
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

I like the website.
And addicts like heroin. So what?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 01:10 AM   #20
gypsyjackson
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
See the poster's thread elsewhere here.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=306485
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 01:57 AM   #21
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgimeno View Post
I followed the link. I'd say it's interesting for structural engineers. It basically consists of experiments showing that the energy dissipation of a buckling column as it develops hinges may have been underestimated by Bazant.
AFAIK it is one of only two potentially valid arguments against B&Z's finding that global collapse was inevitable. I've identified it many times for two main reasons:

1) For all those stuck in the past - either "side" - it - the Szuladzinski, Szamboti and Johns paper - remains a legitimate prima facie claim that Bazant (AKA Zhou) got the sums wrong - AFAIK no one has rebutted it. ; AND
2) It is irrelevant any way - we now (should) know that "global collapse was inevitable" independent of Bazant because we (should) understand the mechanism. And that the mechanism is easier to understand than Bazant thought it would be 9/12 - 9/13 and thru to formal publication of B&Z.

The issue shouldn't concern us because B&Z is irrelevant in the current state of discussion - EXCEPT for the meta level question "Would debate have progressed more effectively without B&Z?"

... (That's not even remotely similar to a "misconduct".
Agreed. "They" simple have no concept of what "misconduct" means - esp. in an academic context. For strict "letter of the law" by Northwestern Mark F has given us the relevant words:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
...Northwestern University actually spells out what constitutes misconduct quite clearly:
Quote:
Research misconduct is defined as fabrication, falsification, plagiarism, or other serious deviation from commonly accepted practices in the relevant scientific community for proposing, performing or reviewing research, or in reporting research results. Research misconduct does not include honest error or differences in opinion.
Simple. Disagreement does not = misconduct.
I also note that the first listed co-author has collaborated with Szamboti in the "Missing Jolt" paper..
Half of which is arguably T Sz's biggest or only win.

Last edited by ozeco41; 4th May 2016 at 02:04 AM.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 02:18 AM   #22
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ape of Good Hope View Post
Be sure to donate
And I for one would like to see some form of evidence that a donation was or wasn't made, I would also like to see evidence that he does actually like the site.
Spanx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 04:24 AM   #23
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
AFAIK it is one of only two potentially valid arguments against B&Z's finding that global collapse was inevitable. I've identified it many times for two main reasons:

1) For all those stuck in the past - either "side" - it - the Szuladzinski, Szamboti and Johns paper - remains a legitimate prima facie claim that Bazant (AKA Zhou) got the sums wrong - AFAIK no one has rebutted it. ; AND
2) It is irrelevant any way - we now (should) know that "global collapse was inevitable" independent of Bazant because we (should) understand the mechanism. And that the mechanism is easier to understand than Bazant thought it would be 9/12 - 9/13 and thru to formal publication of B&Z.

The issue shouldn't concern us because B&Z is irrelevant in the current state of discussion - EXCEPT for the meta level question "Would debate have progressed more effectively without B&Z?"

Agreed. "They" simple have no concept of what "misconduct" means - esp. in an academic context. For strict "letter of the law" by Northwestern Mark F has given us the relevant words:

Half of which is arguably T Sz's biggest or only win.
And I am surprised at how many "engineers" still have no concept of what a "limiting case" really is.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 05:47 AM   #24
Mark F
Graduate Poster

I like the website.
You would.
Old 4th May 2016, 06:57 AM   #25
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
And I am surprised at how many "engineers" still have no concept of what a "limiting case" really is.
That is for sure. And it's not only the engineers and applied physicists but they have least excuse.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 07:04 AM   #26
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
It's all over pal. Truthers are viewed with the same level of contempt as Holocaust and Moon landing deniers by practically everyone who doesn't get their news from Russia Today. And rightfully so.
Actually, I hold 9/11 truthers in high regard, almost as high as I do Slime mold, and that's high for organisms that can organize without a brain or nervous system.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 07:29 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bitca View Post
The site I speak of is bazantmisconduct dot com and, as the title suggests, goes beyond the usual truther nonsense to actively attacking Bazant. Its mission statement is

and includes such gems as

The "research" papers he lists that take issue with Professor Bazant's theory include are mostly from JONES, including Tony Szamboti's missing jolt paper and David Chandler's execrable 2010 paper. He also includes two Jonathan Cole gems.

I've crossed paths with David Slesinger, the creator of the website, on Quora. He is usually very polite (unlike the other truthers there) and pretends he wants to start a dialog with people, but of course he's a true believer who wants to proselytize. He claims to know at least basic physics but ducks anything concrete. I actually got him to acknowledge that things don't fall at a constant acceleration of 2/3 g, but then he quickly said he'd have to consult with Tim Eastman. (He knows some of the major players, such as Chandler, Eastman, and MacQueen.)

There are lots of truther sites, of course, but one dedicated to trashing a man is a new low for me. So I thought I'd bring it to your attention.
Seems like 9/11 was a known operation before it happened to pretty much everyone except the stupid truthers.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 07:51 AM   #28
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Actually, I hold 9/11 truthers in high regard, almost as high as I do Slime mold, and that's high for organisms that can organize without a brain or nervous system.
Slime molds serve a purpose.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 01:29 PM   #29
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RogueKitten View Post
Contact her about what? This nonsense won't have any legs.
Old 4th May 2016, 01:37 PM   #30
The Big Dog

Quote:
This website attempts to provide sufficient information to encourage a campus wide discussion at Northwestern University as to whether Professor Zdenek Bazant’s published work on the fall of the WTC towers on 9/11/01 should be a cause for university wide concern.
We should have a discussion about whether we should be concerned?

lolz
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 03:54 PM   #31
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
We should have a discussion about whether we should be concerned?

lolz
Needs a Weasel to English translation.
Old 4th May 2016, 04:09 PM   #32
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

This comes from an old (like ten years old) poll that the Truthers like to flog. They claim that it shows 84% support for their nonsense, but that is really stretching things:

Quote:
"Do you think members of the Bush Administration are telling the truth, are mostly telling the truth but hiding something, or are they mostly lying?

Telling the truth 16%

Hiding something 53%

Mostly lying 28%

Not sure 3%"
They add up the "mostly telling the truth but hiding something" plus "mostly lying" plus "not sure" to get the 84%. Ask our resident Truthers if they believe the Bush Administration was mostly telling the truth about 9-11.

It would be hard to find a more classic example of the old gag that if you torture the statistics enough, they will tell you anything.

Last edited by Brainster; 4th May 2016 at 04:10 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 04:35 PM   #33
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
This comes from an old ...................
I'm sure you know, I know about the vintage stretch.

I figured I'd see how he decided to spin it..........

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2016, 04:43 PM   #34
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

I'm sure you know, I know about the vintage stretch.

I figured I'd see how he decided to spin it..........
It always spins the same, crazy Looney way.
Old 6th May 2016, 06:28 PM   #35
tfk
Illuminator

This is just plain despicable.
Morons ... performing the only task of which they're capable: making royal pains in the asses of themselves.

It's hilarious that this clown offers up Cole as a dissenting "expert". LoL.

Especially when Cole is on record as having said this:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Cole
@12:41 Professor Bazant put out some technical papers… And indeed it's a beautiful paper. It’s filled with very nice equations. Frankly, some of the equations I don't understand. It is a very nice paper. I have no doubt Professor Bazant is a extremely intelligent man. Far more intelligent than I am.
Finally, Cole says something that is correct.
Dr. Bazant IS “far more intelligent” than Cole.!

I guess designing sewer systems doesn't require a lot of advanced math...

Last edited by tfk; 6th May 2016 at 06:39 PM.
tfk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2016, 07:07 PM   #36
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

That's so cute!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...iracy_theories

So which category will Kevin Barrett fall into?

https://socioecohistory.wordpress.co...resent-danger/

Evidently the connection between 9/11 Ctists and Holocaust deniers seems to be stronger than that of Holocaust deniers and individuals that reject unfounded 9/11 CT fairy tales.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2016, 07:54 PM   #37
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
That's so cute!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...iracy_theories

So which category will Kevin Barrett fall into?

https://socioecohistory.wordpress.co...resent-danger/

Evidently the connection between 9/11 Ctists and Holocaust deniers seems to be stronger than that of Holocaust deniers and individuals that reject unfounded 9/11 CT fairy tales.
I consider 9/11 CTs to be a subset of the Holocaust Denier Universe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories