IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Gamolon
Master Poster

Heiwa challenge revisited...

Does anyone think that Mick's model here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvPO4-xWKqM

Would suffice to win the Heiwa challenge here?
http://heiwaco.tripod.com/chall1.htm#hc

Thoughts?
Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Not quite. Heiwa requires that the top part has less than 1/9 the mass and height of the bottom part, and is structured equally. He also requires that maximum lateral deflection is no more than 1% of height.
Old 10th May 2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Richard the G
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post

Thoughts?
Ah but what caused the column section to fall outside the footprint. Must have used mini thermite
Richard the G is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2016, 09:30 PM   #4
MileHighMadness
Muse

Wow, Anders Bjorkman is completely and totally nuts. His posting style is kind of like our good buddy Major_Tom.
Old 10th May 2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by MileHighMadness View Post
Wow, Anders Bjorkman is completely and totally nuts. His posting style is kind of like our good buddy Major_Tom.

I can't believe I got roped into reading that (or at least part of it).

How can anyone believe that structures can be scaled up or down and retain the same properties? Hell, even a piece of bread toasts completely differently than a bigger piece of bread.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2016, 09:54 PM   #6
sts60
Illuminator

If it's anything like his bogus spaceflight "challenge", it's not merely deluded but flat-out fraudulent. He claimed he had a million euros for anyone who could prove Apollo landed on the Moon or something, but the prize was obviously nonexistent, he had no idea what he was talking about, and in any case he obviously would never admit the challenge was met.

In some cases, he simply ignored evidence he claimed didn't exist, even though people rubbed his nose in it. But other cases were more entertaining, such as his attempted energy balance calculations where he ignored the exhaust of a rocket because it was "no longer part of the system." This from a self-proclaimed engineer.

Like many crackpots, his ego is inversely proportional to his actual grasp of how things work.

Last edited by sts60; 10th May 2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Typos
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2016, 10:05 PM   #7
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I can't believe I got roped into reading that (or at least part of it).

How can anyone believe that structures can be scaled up or down and retain the same properties? Hell, even a piece of bread toasts completely differently than a bigger piece of bread.
I opened this silly thread because I wasn't sure what it was about. A heiwa is, I thought, a Hawaiian temple. Many years ago I honeymooned on Hawaii, and found those rather interesting. Oh dear, what's this then..... I watched about ten seconds of the videos and glanced at the Bjorking mad web page, but I was afraid I'd have to take my computer apart to clean the spittle from the back side of the screen.

Didn't Galileo have a thing or two to say about scaling? I thought the concept was moderately well understood by now. Granted, it's been over 50 years since I read his Dialogues, so maybe the rules have changed. Should I be watching the horizon for giant ants?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Ah, Heiwa. I remember him well. His "challenge" boiled down to: I'll pay out to anyone who can make me admit I'm wrong about something I refuse to admit I'm wrong about. I presume he hasn't lost yet.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 01:46 AM   #9
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post

Thoughts?
No.

Two sets of reasons:
1) The Heiwa challenge as too many "cop outs" locked to false understandings of mechanism;

BUT it says "You are requested to describe a structure ...."

Describe - not model. THEN

2) Mick's model only describes (by modelling) one aspect of a collapse with any fidelity.

And that one aspect has already been described more precisely. (The modelling is guided by persons who already know what they need to model - so they can already describe it or have understood descriptions given to them.)

And neither the model itself or the descriptive inputs are a full building collapse as required by Heiwa.

Last edited by ozeco41; 11th May 2016 at 01:48 AM.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories