IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Spanx
Master Poster

James Millette peer review

As many on this forum are aware, the Millette dust study didn't actually get peer reviewed.

If this study had been peer reviewed would anyone actually benefit from it ?
Spanx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Old 30th May 2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Spanx
Master Poster

Obviously I can't speak for Jim Millette and I don't know why he did not get the work peer reviewed,

I personally wanted to see a peer review at first and have since changed my mind. I can't see how it would have been of any use in his field of expertise and of been of any benefit to anyone else. I am happy to be corrected if anyone feels I am wrong.

That being said, I do think it was a good idea to have the experiment to clear up the thermite debate.
Spanx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2016, 12:30 AM   #4
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Someone sent him some stuff that looked like paint chips which turned out to be paint chips. Really nothing to peer review about it.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2016, 12:48 AM   #5
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Someone sent him some stuff that looked like paint chips which turned out to be paint chips. Really nothing to peer review about it.
Very true, although he did already have the dust from his previous work where he identified what was in the dust. I would say beneficial to doctors treating people who inhaled the dust.
Old 31st May 2016, 01:00 AM   #6
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spanx View Post
As many on this forum are aware, the Millette dust study didn't actually get peer reviewed.

If this study had been peer reviewed would anyone actually benefit from it ?
what do you mean by "it"? The paper or the peer review? Peer review is a red herring - the paper stands independent of that process - it has been scrutinised to a level beyond what peer review would test. So I doubt that peer review would be of any befit - and what is there to "peer review" as WilliamSeger has already stated concisely?

We give "peer review" too high a status. It is a process in academic and professional publishing which - in essence - decides that the paper is good enough to put into discussion. Nothing more tho' some peer reviews are more rigorous than others.

BUT the real issue as always with these challenges to peer review status or qualifications of an author or claimant is:
"Is the paper valid?" OR
"Is the claim true?"

If a paper is valid or a claim is true it matters zilch whether it was peer reviewed OR the author holds multiple high degrees.

AND - if a claim/paper is false - no possession by the claimant/author of multiple PhDs will make it true.

Putting it in the context of forum discussion that bit of reality is the main reason I will accept and support a true claim from a truther in preference to an opposing false or dishonest claim from a debunker.

I'm rarely surprised when a truther doesn't understand or tells untruths. I prefer better from debunkers...but....

Last edited by ozeco41; 31st May 2016 at 01:06 AM.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2016, 01:39 AM   #7
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
what do you mean by "it"? The paper or the peer review? Peer review is a red herring - the paper stands independent of that process - it has been scrutinised to a level beyond what peer review would test. So I doubt that peer review would be of any befit - and what is there to "peer review" as WilliamSeger has already stated concisely?

:
I agree there is nothing to peer review with the dust study.

Neils Harrit wouldn't even look at it unless it was peer reviewed. This explains a lot in my opinion.

Last edited by Spanx; 31st May 2016 at 02:05 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories