IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 9/11

Old 9th January 2014, 05:50 PM   #161
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
What happens when you compare apples to break dancing?
You see an example of your complete lack of scientific knowledge, lol

The lead bullet goes right though it of course - but how can that happen?
Hans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 06:07 PM   #162
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

There is a vast sea of ignorance about the strength of materials being shown here.
The reason for a tube structure for one.
Here is a simple 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of ordinary printer paper rolled into a tube,
with a small piece of tape holding the ends together. Placed on a digital scale.
The weight on the tube is incrementally increased, using quite heavy toy car batteries.
At 226 times the weight of the empty tube... 34 oz... the tube begins to exhibit buckling at the lower taped end.
With longitudinal stiffeners added, the basic paper tube can support much more weight than is shown here.
Airplane structures are designed for way higher loads than this, and can, as was seen in the WTC collisions, penetrate modern buildings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tube-01.jpg (61.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Tube-02.jpg (71.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Tube-03.jpg (62.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Tube-04.jpg (64.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Tube-05.jpg (66.3 KB, 5 views)
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 06:17 PM   #163
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
There is a vast sea of ignorance about the strength of materials being shown here.
The reason for a tube structure for one.
Here is a simple 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of ordinary printer paper rolled into a tube,
with a small piece of tape holding the ends together. Placed on a digital scale.
The weight on the tube is incrementally increased, using quite heavy toy car batteries.
At 226 times the weight of the empty tube... 34 oz... the tube begins to exhibit buckling at the lower taped end.
With longitudinal stiffeners added, the basic paper tube can support much more weight than is shown here.
Airplane structures are designed for way higher loads than this, and can, as was seen in the WTC collisions, penetrate modern buildings.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 06:23 PM   #164
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
You missed that by order of magnitude (which they don't understand)
Vast sea? I would say a couple of universes world of ignorance topped off with disrespect and the ability for rapid negative learning. We have to get some of what they are taking...

What is funny, it takes 11 minutes for 451 to do a post at 13 to 15 wpm.

It boils down to ignorance and political bias against the USA. He hates us for our education, knowledge, logic, critical thinking skills, etc.

When someone disagrees or laughs at his fantasy
Quote:
I see another intellectually stunted JREF blowhard wandered away from the protection of the herd.
Careful, you are in danger of learning something.
He is JREF too, not sure he understand that, but why would he join up if he was not a skeptic. Guess he missed the part of evidence, logic, and knowledge. And since JREF has the BIG E, he is against Education, so don't tell him the what the E Is.

Can it get more silly? Missiles are next, part to of the 7 second first video self-debunking special. Over in 7 seconds, showing Flt 11 impact the WTC, debunks the rest of the video, and makes Video 2 a waste.
When you are anti-education, logic does not miss the cut.

Last edited by beachnut; 9th January 2014 at 06:25 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 06:31 PM   #165
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
You missed that by order of magnitude (which they don't understand)
By 50% of a vast sea, maybe...
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 06:44 PM   #166
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
That's aluminum cladding in the image.
Evasion noted.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 07:01 PM   #167
fess
Graduate Poster

Finally I have met someone who knows all.

Do tell me oh wise one, what is beyond my comprehension, and what am I thinking now?
I Ratant didn’t mention anything about being a know it all, and I am certainly not a know it all either. However, I do know what you are thinking. You are thinking the same old nonsense that you have been thinking all along
Old 9th January 2014, 07:12 PM   #168
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

yankee451:

What is the sweep angle on the wings of a 767?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 07:15 PM   #169
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
yankee451:

What is the sweep angle on the wings of a 767?
31.5 but for brevity I round down to 30. Why?
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 07:31 PM   #170
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

31.5 but for brevity I round down to 30. Why?
Thank you.

How fast was the leading edge of the wing of the 767 travelling when it hit the tower?
Old 9th January 2014, 07:32 PM   #171
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Loonatic93 View Post
Have you noticed the similarity between the words "conceivable" and "inconceivable?"

If steel is harder and stronger than ice, does that mean that there is no way that ice can puncture steel?
Have you noticed all the straws the denizens of this site will clutch at to avoid a valid comparison?
Old 9th January 2014, 07:34 PM   #172
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Have you noticed all the straws the denizens of this site will clutch at to avoid a valid comparison?
Why don't you answer the question?
Old 9th January 2014, 07:38 PM   #173
yankee451
Master Poster

Thank you.

How fast was the leading edge of the wing of the 767 travelling when it hit the tower?
Depends on whether your doing an accurate and honest calculation of the interaction between the radome, cockpit and forward cabin and the exterior steel box columns, but spare us the drama trauma and just give us the whole calculation all at once.
Old 9th January 2014, 07:38 PM   #174
HotRodDeluxe
Muse

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Why don't you answer the question?
It would appear that ad hominem is a much easier course.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 07:46 PM   #175
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

We dont have to explain the finer points of some bits of bent metal in the impact hole because:

1. Eye witness and video evidence clearly shows a plane hitting the building and exploding.

Thats it. You then start from there. Who was flying the plane.

Simples/
Old 9th January 2014, 07:47 PM   #176
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Depends on whether your doing an accurate and honest calculation of the interaction between the radome, cockpit and forward cabin and the exterior steel box columns, but spare us the drama trauma and just give us the whole calculation all at once.
How fast was the leading edge of the wing traveling when it hit the tower? (Be conservative--use sig fig. How fast do you, personally, calculate that the leading edge of the wing was travelling when it was observed to hit the tower?)

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 9th January 2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 9th January 2014, 07:50 PM   #177
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Has yankee451 explained why he doesn't believe in physics?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 07:56 PM   #178
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Finally I have met someone who knows all.

Do tell me oh wise one, what is beyond my comprehension, snip
Physics.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 07:58 PM   #179
yankee451
Master Poster

How fast was the leading edge of the wing traveling when it hit the tower? (Be conservative--use sig fig. How fast do you, personally, calculate that the leading edge of the wing was travelling when it was observed to hit the tower?)
First tell me how much the radome, cockpit and forward cabin impact retarded the forward momentum of the whole plane. We all know a real jet's wings would snap off at that point but there it is on the TeeVee, the whole plane sliding like butter into the building, so be conservative, how much did the fuselage impact slow down the rest of the plane?
Old 9th January 2014, 07:59 PM   #180
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Physics.
<sits in the lotus position>

Oooom
Old 9th January 2014, 08:02 PM   #181
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Has yankee451 explained why he doesn't believe in physics?
Never said such a thing.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:03 PM   #182
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

First tell me how much the radome, cockpit and forward cabin impact retarded the forward momentum of the whole plane. We all know a real jet's wings would snap off at that point but there it is on the TeeVee, the whole plane sliding like butter into the building, so be conservative, how much did the fuselage impact slow down the rest of the plane?
Allowing for whatever retardation you want to claim for the observed impact of the 767 with the building, how fast was the leading edge of the wing still travelling when it was observed to impact the building?
Old 9th January 2014, 08:04 PM   #183
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

<sits in the lotus position>

Oooom
Won't help. You need to understand physics, not just hope it comes to you

in a trance.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 08:06 PM   #184
yankee451
Master Poster

Allowing for whatever retardation you want to claim for the observed impact of the 767 with the building, how fast was the leading edge of the wing still travelling when it was observed to impact the building?
I saw zero retardation.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:08 PM   #185
yankee451
Master Poster

Won't help. You need to understand physics, not just hope it comes to you

in a trance.
Had you watched the video you would know the irony of the moment.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:10 PM   #186
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I saw zero retardation.
How fast was the leading edge of the wing of the 767 travelling when it was observed to impact the tower?

(BTW: are you now claiming that you witnessed the impact in person?)
Old 9th January 2014, 08:11 PM   #187
yankee451
Master Poster

How fast was the leading edge of the wing of the 767 travelling when it was observed to impact the tower?

(BTW: are you now claiming that you witnessed the impact in person?)
I'm bored with your line of questioning. Get to the point.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:12 PM   #188
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Your irony identification skills need some work.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 08:15 PM   #189
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Good god, man. The wings would snap off? Don't you know anything about airplane construction? The wings are one single piece. They're not bolted onto the sides of the plane. They are the plane, especially in a commercial aircraft of that size. Wings can deform, they can be pulled apart by enough torque, but they do not "snap off".

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 08:16 PM   #190
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I'm bored with your line of questioning. Get to the point.
I'm bored with your inability to answer a simple, factual question.

(BTW: are you, in fact, claiming to have observed the impact directly?)
Old 9th January 2014, 08:16 PM   #191
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Good god, man. The wings would snap off? Don't you know anything about airplane construction? The wings are one single piece. They're not bolted onto the sides of the plane. They are the plane, especially in a commercial aircraft of that size. Wings can deform, they can be pulled apart by enough torque, but they do not "snap off".
Oh, well all the videos of the jet crashes where the wings snap off on impact must be wrong. Go figger.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:17 PM   #192
yankee451
Master Poster

I'm bored with your inability to answer a simple, factual question.

I know. Do you think I don't know? Do you know?
Old 9th January 2014, 08:21 PM   #193
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I did watch it. It proves beyond any doubt you don't understand physics (simple physics at that).

Last edited by DGM; 9th January 2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:25 PM   #194
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I did watch it.
I started to. When I got to the bolts being removed bit i stopped. I also skipped past the part where he explained why his detachment from reality is better than the other truthers' detachment from reality.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:25 PM   #195
yankee451
Master Poster

I did watch it.
So you get that your chanting "physics" is akin to a Hindi chanting "om".

Good, thought it missed you.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:27 PM   #196
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I started to. When I got to the bolts being removed bit i stopped. I also skipped past the part where he explained why his detachment from reality is better than the other truthers' detachment from reality.
Good to know.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:27 PM   #197
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

So you get that your chanting "physics" is akin to a Hindi chanting "om".

Good, thought it missed you.
So why do you ignore the laws of physics in your work?

Old 9th January 2014, 08:28 PM   #198
Animal
Master Poster

These are the knife edges I refer to:
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...1-48-16-PM.png

According to the NIST this is what happened:
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...wing-burst.jpg

But according to the swept-back construction of the wings, they would have struck in a wedge-motion (not at right angles). So the NIST is clearly wrong.

Furthermore, they didn't consider the construction of the columns which the wing would impact one column edge at a time, sequentially from the fuselage-out:
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...-approach1.gif

Considering the steel slicing nature of wings:
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...uel-tank-1.png
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...12/07/spar.png

It's obvious to a barnyard animal a southbound jet would not cause westward bends:

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...onaircraft.jpg
All kinds of graphics and you could still not answer the question....why am I not surprised?
Animal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2014, 08:32 PM   #199
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Animal View Post
All kinds of graphics and you could still not answer the question....why am I not surprised?
I find this statement to be particularly funny:

Quote:
It's obvious to a barnyard animal a southbound jet would not cause westward bends:

Old 9th January 2014, 08:40 PM   #200
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I know. Do you think I don't know? Do you know?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories