IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 9/11

Old 10th January 2014, 01:24 PM   #281
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
http://conleys.com.au/smilies/thumbup.gif

I don't think it has been said but...

one characteristic of a plane is that it is plane shaped.

No way! That is the nuttiest thing I have heard all day.

Last edited by Mark F; 10th January 2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 01:28 PM   #282
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Frankly I'm sorry to the OP and to the staff members that wound up having to clean the portion of the mess I made in the debate. I'd just seen this no planes argument since 2008 and contrary to the tone that the op sets none of the actual arguments are new. And they're wrong. If he wants to believe they made live holograms then maybe it would serve better to prove that argument beyond reasonable doubt as opposed to reciprocating the snipes. Otherwise I hardly see value in the thread either as an instrument for the op or as way to critique a topic that's been repeated.

In most respects I don't think more commentary is really needed unless the op is taken more seriously... not that I personally believe the no planes idea really can be taken that way

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 10th January 2014 at 01:30 PM.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 01:39 PM   #283
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post

In most respects I don't think more commentary is really needed unless the op is taken more seriously... not that I personally believe the no planes idea really can be taken that way
Yankee451 actually believes there were planes. He just thinks the buildings needed to be specially rigged in order for them to do what they did. He's a "new" special flavor.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 03:27 PM   #284
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Yankee451 actually believes there were planes. He just thinks the buildings needed to be specially rigged in order for them to do what they did. He's a "new" special flavor.
Really? That's a change of direction, if so. Previously he was convinced there were no planes and the plane-shaped holes were carved by a fusilade of ultra-precise missile strikes from various angles.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 03:28 PM   #285
Mark F
Graduate Poster

That is some serious precision flying then for these no-talent hijacker pilots to line the planes up EXACTLY where the charges were.

Really, do we have to entertain things this dumb?
Old 10th January 2014, 03:32 PM   #286
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
No, quite the opposite in fact.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 03:52 PM   #287
thedopefishlives
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Really? That's a change of direction, if so. Previously he was convinced there were no planes and the plane-shaped holes were carved by a fusilade of ultra-precise missile strikes from various angles.
Oh, was yankee the guy who was rabbiting on about the JASSM? I loved that!
Old 10th January 2014, 04:07 PM   #288
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fess View Post
I’ll accept that, but I was trying to be nice.
You've noticed it Whooshed right over his head.
It is saddening over the years of watching this stuff to see noobs come in and pick up on the conspiracy parts only.
The actual reasons are fully and properly explained, and have been for 13 years now, and one would expect an intelligent observer to be capable of fingering the fact from the bizarre off-the-wall fictions, but, as my aero prof would say, "Thinking is painful", so the easy way out of swallowing cockamamie is the path easiest taken by these shlemeils.
And when their errors are dissected and corrected, invincibly ignorant properly describes them when they maintain their unsupportable positions.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 06:43 PM   #289
JSanderO
Illuminator

Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
Surely you can use your math to demonstrate how the east-west bends and twists were caused by aluminum sheeting formed into the shape of a jet with 30 degree swept back wings striking in a north-south trajectory.
Swept back in this case will not cause a wedge shaped damage. The force was enormous and normal... it was not parting the material like a bow of a ship.

Your analysis is flawed on this point.
Old 10th January 2014, 06:56 PM   #290
JSanderO
Illuminator

First tell me how much the radome, cockpit and forward cabin impact retarded the forward momentum of the whole plane. We all know a real jet's wings would snap off at that point but there it is on the TeeVee, the whole plane sliding like butter into the building, so be conservative, how much did the fuselage impact slow down the rest of the plane?
Why would they snap off? You're just saying it.
Old 10th January 2014, 07:04 PM   #291
Robrob
Philosopher

First tell me how much the radome, cockpit and forward cabin impact retarded the forward momentum of the whole plane. We all know a real jet's wings would snap off at that point but there it is on the TeeVee, the whole plane sliding like butter into the building, so be conservative, how much did the fuselage impact slow down the rest of the plane?
You've already acknowledged the mass of the wings (plus fuel). Why do you pretend otherwise?
Old 10th January 2014, 07:05 PM   #292
JSanderO
Illuminator

My claim is that the damage evidence is inconsistent with a jet crash, you are simply clutching at any straw to avoid having to discuss how it is.

And the word I used was "all", it was you who used "several". Get your accusations straight. You said you'd appreciate my posting one, if not several examples. I did, but you didn't. Sue me.
While the tone of the comments is degrading and insulting... the content of several have explained how the materials would behave and it is consistent with the damage observed. Your statements and "beliefs" about physics and strengths of materials and energetic mechanical interactions have been shown to be incorrect.

The column bolts were not removed they sheared... and that would depend on how close the joint was to the impact mass. Some were very.. some were as much as 18' away. The staggered panels and the geometry of the plane and mass distribution account for the variety of facade and structural damage to the staggered panel system.

It appears to me that you are hunting for some science... science which does not exist... to support your preconception that planes caused all the damage. You are way above your pay grade here. But don't feel bad, most people haven't a clue about such things either and their world view is informed by Hollywood FX. We've got a population which has been educated by TV and Hollywood rubbish... and I think that includes you Mr Yankee.
Old 10th January 2014, 07:29 PM   #293
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JSanderO View Post
Swept back in this case will not cause a wedge shaped damage. The force was enormous and normal... it was not parting the material like a bow of a ship.

LOL. You are right. That is exactly what his cartoon physics predicts.

For some reason I am hearing the Ride of the Valkeries.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 07:54 PM   #294
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You see had you watched the video or read the transcript you would know I was debunking the folks who claim a reinforced jet was used.
Why would you do that when your irrational belief is neither better nor worse than any other irrational belief about 9/11? Death rays, removed bolts, CDs, nano thermite, holograms, it's all a distinction without a difference. You're just sitting in a different car on the same crazy train, that's all.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 08:23 PM   #295
MIKILLINI
Incromulent Logic

in Randi World, the mass and weight of the building doesn't matter, only the speed of the wing, which also happens to be as sharp as a basketball
In this scenario physics doesn't take on the total mass and weight of the building, but it does take on the full weight and mass of a fuel laden 757 flying over 500 mph crashing into a specific area of the building. Sharpness takes on a whole different perspective; Harder and more defined than a basketball..

The conspiracist is not merely illogical: he assaults logic.~ Pomeroo

Last edited by MIKILLINI; 10th January 2014 at 09:15 PM.
MIKILLINI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 09:01 PM   #296
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
That is some serious precision flying then for these no-talent hijacker pilots to line the planes up EXACTLY where the charges were.

I've repeatedly asked Truthers how the bad guys managed to keep the charges from getting damaged.

Only Clayton has ever acknowledged the question, and he would only commit to hand-waving about "computer simulations".
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 09:11 PM   #297
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
I've repeatedly asked Truthers how the bad guys managed to keep the charges from getting damaged.
That is a measure of how low the standard of truther claims has fallen....and the debunker responses dragged down with them.

In the peak era of 9/11 internet discussions 2006-7-8 when there were quite a few 'genuine honest truthers' around all of those factors were routinely discussed as part of the need for a coherent complete explanation.

The truthers and trolls we see today are all "single anomaly" focussed. And the expressions "genuine truther" or "honest truther" are oxymorons.

Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
Only Clayton has ever acknowledged the question, and he would only commit to hand-waving about "computer simulations".
Both Clayton and Ergo have occasionally asked sensible questions but AFAIK rarely gone to a second post stage of discussion and never to a third post of reasoned debate.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 09:21 PM   #298
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MIKILLINI View Post
In this scenario physics doesn't take on the total mass and weight of the building, but it does take on the full weight and mass of a fuel laden 757 flying over 500 mph crashing into a specific area of the building. Sharpness takes on a whole different perspective; Harder and more defined than a basketball..
Truthers should never go the round ball route when we have video of a Ping-Pong ball passing through a Ping-Pong paddle.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2014, 09:37 PM   #299
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

In this video I examine the North Tower impact damage on 9/11, allegedly caused by American Airlines Flight 11.

The damage evidence eliminates explosives alone as being the cause, and at the same time it eliminates a Boeing 767 or a reinforced jet of any kind. The video also dispenses with the hologram nonsense and pokes fun at the “mini-nuke” crowd as well as pokes a finger in the eye of the Judy Wood clique.

http://yankee451.com/2014/01/07/cut-...e-episode-one/
The OP has a lie in the first sentence. It was flight 11, to say allegedly is wrong.

Next lie, the damage, a failed statement; damage proves it was a 767.

Next lie, it does not eliminate a 767, it proves a 767.

Next lie is the video, with continuous nonsense, debunks itself in 7 seconds.

Then the web site, "tons" of gibberish, like this.
Quote:
But these floors were lightweight concrete on a sixty-foot truss system and were not designed for heavy loads, yet here we see what must be dozens of tons of debris, some of which fell 20 feet, to land in a heap on this floor. Comparatively the mechanical floors required I-beams to be able to support the big elevator motors and other heavy equipment, so what’s holding up this pile? Why didn’t the multi-ton wall panels plunge through this floor and every floor beneath it? Clearly this floor was heavily reinforced and I believe this is because they needed a big pile of debris to fill the hole so people wouldn’t notice the empty tower and the lack of jet parts behind it.
Fantasy to support a failed fantasy.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 02:15 AM   #300
david.watts
Critical Thinker

Regarding the wings snapping off: As a pilot (including 757s and 767s), I don't think so. The wings are virtually "one" as they are "tied" together through/underneath the fuselage with the wing spar. And even if the wing spar were to "snap," the wings of the airplane would already virtually entirely be in the building in a swept back fashion within a nano-second longer than if they had not snapped at all, i.e., it would make no real difference.

This is not to say you do not make some interesting points. And what I say does not disprove what is shown in you video.
david.watts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 03:09 AM   #301
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by david.watts View Post
Regarding the wings snapping off: As a pilot (including 757s and 767s), I don't think so. The wings are virtually "one" as they are "tied" together through/underneath the fuselage with the wing spar. And even if the wing spar were to "snap," the wings of the airplane would already virtually entirely be in the building in a swept back fashion within a nano-second longer than if they had not snapped at all, i.e., it would make no real difference.
Given that the wings and their fuel load have a lot of mass - i.e. wings will do much if not all of their own cutting through the perimeter columns - the actual differential force to cause wing separation/shearing will be much lower than some folk seem to be expecting.

Get your qualitative model of the free body physics right people.

And - no I'm not about to do the maths. I said "qualitative".
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 05:19 AM   #302
JSanderO
Illuminator

Yankee,
I find it curious that aside from the sarcasm of some posters here, much of your theories have had the rug pulled out from under them... with sound science and engineering. Yet you refuse to accept these explanations.

Why?

Do you dispute the science?

Do you understand that the columns were not fluid to be parted by the impacting jet parts and wedged east and west (even equally) as you assert?

Do you understand how the bolts would be sheared from the lateral forces of the end plates moving past one another. You got one point correct.. the 4 bolts per column connection were inadequate to keep them together when subject to the impact of a fast moving plane.

Have you seen the panels and perimeter columns in the debris pile? Where are the bolts? How did they get removed from thousands of perimeter columns? You don't think someone removed them as part of a CD prep do you?

They were sheared... heads or shanks... or pulled through the column end plates... from forces of the column leverage. The weak link in the assembly.

You are making up nonsense. Stop it and get real.

Last edited by JSanderO; 11th January 2014 at 05:20 AM.
JSanderO is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 07:33 AM   #303
Iamme
Philosopher

I figured the such...regarding pilot david.watts explanation regarding penetration.
Now for some enjoyable reading that could maybe help shed som light on the physics of this, google: Mythbusters episode 61 - deadly straw - mythbusters results
Google those exact words, and click on the site of those exact words.
Very interesting.
Plus the second myth listed made me laugh. (The chicken)
And the one about plants might be worth a thread of its own in our paranormal section!
Be sure to read viewers comments regarding the straw test, as some of the comments like the one ones about being wet, the newspaper, etc are most interesting.
This might help you when contemplating the wings penetration.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:36 AM   #304
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

This is where you go off. You have not calculated the area of impacts ability to arrest this motion. NIST and Perdue did but, you don't believe in physics so you don't believe them.

<cough>
Old 11th January 2014, 08:41 AM   #305
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is sad to the point of hilarity.

"What caused the plane shaped hole in that building that just got hit by a plane?"

Yeah that's one of the mysteries of the ages. You don't exactly need Occam's Razor to work through that one. Occam's Dull Butter Knife will suffice.
Old 11th January 2014, 09:01 AM   #306
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JSanderO View Post

Just to expand on this, Yankee, do you know why a guillotine blade is angled?
Old 11th January 2014, 09:42 AM   #307
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
<cough>
I know, noticed too late for edit.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 09:55 AM   #308
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
This is sad to the point of hilarity.

"What caused the plane shaped hole in that building that just got hit by a plane?"

Yeah that's one of the mysteries of the ages. You don't exactly need Occam's Razor to work through that one. Occam's Dull Butter Knife will suffice.
This thread demonstrates once again that even feeding a truther facts with Occam's Spoon doesn't have much effect.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 10:52 AM   #309
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by david.watts View Post

This is not to say you do not make some interesting points. And what I say does not disprove what is shown in you video.
The center wing box on the L-1011 Tristar. Each wing half is bolted to this structure with fasteners along the depth of the spars, and through the wing skins top and bottom to flanges along the opening.
When this is assembled, it is ASSEMBLED!
One of our Tristars had a wing on one side overpressured during a pre-acceptance fuelling test due to a relief valve remaining closed, and the wing pooched, and leaked all over the place. The customer turned down the option of a few cans of Stop Leak, and said they'd prefer a complete new part.
And so it occurred!
The airplane was placed in a special fixture, and the broken wing was -sawed- off just outside the fuselage. There was no other way to remove it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L-1011-WingRootAirfoil-jr.jpg (99.7 KB, 13 views)
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 01:00 PM   #310
ozeco41
Philosopher

I know, noticed too late for edit.
Perdition for you sir?

Old 11th January 2014, 01:41 PM   #311
Justin39640
Illuminator

Are we done?
My money is on "not even close to" lol
Old 11th January 2014, 02:00 PM   #312
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Justin39640 View Post
My money is on "not even close to" lol
Yeah but, now he can't say we didn't address the OP. The ball's in his court to advance the discussion.

Old 11th January 2014, 02:56 PM   #313
ozeco41
Philosopher

Yeah but, now he can't say we didn't address the OP.
Agreed but - just to make sure:

This was the OP question:
"What Caused the Plane Shaped Hole?"

And we - most of us anyway - know that one characteristic of a plane is that it is plane shaped.

So the obvious default hypothesis after filtering via Occam is "The plane shaped hole was caused because the building was struck by a plane shaped object. To wit - a plane."

Now Yankee needs to rebut (at least) two premises viz:
Show that a plane is not plane shaped; OR
Show that the towers were not struck by a plane shaped object.

(and the latter, IMO, is the correctly defined "set" - alternate suggestions welcomed)

The ball's in his court to advance the discussion.
It was never out of his court - his claim - his burden of proof - despite the debating trick of framing the OP as "AQing"

Old 11th January 2014, 03:07 PM   #314
Hans
Philosopher

And we - most of us anyway - know that one characteristic of a plane is that it is plane shaped.

So the obvious default hypothesis after filtering via Occam is "The plane shaped hole was caused because the building was struck by a plane shaped object. To wit - a plane."

(and the latter, IMO, is the correctly defined "set" - alternate suggestions welcomed)

It was never out of his court - his claim - his burden of proof - despite the debating trick of framing the OP as "AQing"

However we have a language difficulty; we are talking in the terms of science and he belief. The use of those two languages often leads to non- communication and denial by the believer, particularly when they are being willful about the subject.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 03:11 PM   #315
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
However we have a language difficulty; we are talking in the terms of science and he belief. The use of those two languages often leads to non- communication and denial by the believer, particularly when they are being willful about the subject.
So true.

(I did my apprenticeship as moderator on an atheist forum - been there "once or twice" )
Old 11th January 2014, 03:12 PM   #316
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

In the secret forum here, yank states there were no planes.
Old 11th January 2014, 03:14 PM   #317
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
In the secret forum here, yank states there were no planes.
Which was one reason for my somewhat obtuse comment about "set" and the terminology of the second premise.
Old 11th January 2014, 05:19 PM   #318
yankee451
Master Poster

You're right, it is about what caused the holes in the buildings. Considering your opinion is not based on any fact or science you should be done at this point.

All evidence points to two Boeing 767-200 tail numbers N334AA (AA flight 11 into the North Tower) and N612UA (United 175 into the South Tower).

Are we done?
No evidence supports any such thing. If it did you could demonstrate how the east-west damage is consistent with a mostly hollow aluminum aircraft with leading edges as sharp as a basketball traveling north-south.

Until any single one of you can demonstrate that, no we're far from done. But I get that desperate men do desperate deeds, so I fully understand why you'd rather make this about me.

You have the floor, it's clean, I just wiped it with you lot.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2014, 05:25 PM   #319
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

No evidence supports any such thing. If it did you could demonstrate how the east-west damage is consistent with a mostly hollow aluminum aircraft with leading edges as sharp as a basketball traveling north-south.
I asked you before, who do I need to demonstrate this to? The fact you don't like the evidence does not make it false.

Quote:
Until any single one of you can demonstrate that, no we're far from done. But I get that desperate men do desperate deeds, so I fully understand why you'd rather make this about me.

You first. Start with more than just your lay person opinion.

ETA: Why do you keep saying it's not about you when you are the only one that believes what your saying?

Last edited by DGM; 11th January 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11th January 2014, 05:32 PM   #320
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Not mostly hollow, the wings were filled with fuel and impacted the surface at a sweep back slant, and were carried on in by momentum, dragging their surface along the building structure and bending the building structure you are curious about transversely as the wings went in.

If you think the liquid in the wings didn't make a difference by the way, I suggest you hit yourself in the head with an empty milk carton, then try it again with a full one.

This is all I am going to say on this thread, because I don't see any sign of you acknowledging real physics. I won't bother with responding to any snarky replies unless they begin to acknowledge reality.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories