IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd April 2016, 02:49 PM   #281
waypastvne
Muse

Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
Other than two pieces of angle iron protruding where there should have been one truss damper, which would arguably be a weaker connection than the main truss seat, you mean.

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...scoelastic.png

You need to look again they are not angles, they are T sections. Just like the ones on the viscoelastic dampers.

The dampers failed at its weakest point, the elastic layer.

Last edited by waypastvne; 22nd April 2016 at 03:03 PM.
waypastvne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 02:53 PM   #282
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by waypastvne View Post
That is not the top of the spandrel plate. The top of the spandrel ends on the right hand edge of the "spandrels bent in opposite direction" box.
agreed

The dampers look exactly as they should look, if they fail at rubber connection.
Agreed - the more I learn the less I know.

Yes concrete is sturdy.
Judging by the indentation to the steel, it didn't fall from 1000 feet.

Yes the spandrels are bent in the direction of the ground impact forces.
Well we have what, 6 tons or so of steel that fell 1000 vertical feet while flying a few hundred horizontal feet. Judging by the indentation in the steel where it struck the curb, it didn't bounce much and it didn't strike the concrete hard enough to do any damage to it at all, so I'd have to say that sounds pretty farfetched. Kudos on the other points you made though.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 02:55 PM   #283
yankee451
Master Poster

You need to look again they are not angles, they are T sections. Just like ones on the viscoelastic dampers.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...C11%20copy.jpg

The dampers failed at its weakest point, the elastic layer.
Yeah - saw that too, but only now does it all sink in. I am a slow learner - thanks for your patience. I will add them to the model, along with the truss straps.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:02 PM   #284
waypastvne
Muse

Thank you for actually reading my replies, and looking at the photos.

Bob.
waypastvne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:06 PM   #285
yankee451
Master Poster

Thank you for actually reading my replies, and looking at the photos.

Bob.
Much obliged, really. All I'm after is accuracy.

Steve
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:10 PM   #286
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Fortune favors the audacious.
Yes, that's true; those prepared to risk everything on a simple bold stroke can often get away with it if they move fast enough because nobody anticipated their trying anything so audacious.

Do you think 9/11 was a simple bold stroke?

You don't tend to hear people say 'fortune favours the insanely complex and Byzantine plot requiring the simultaneous execution of at least six impossible things before breakfast'.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:12 PM   #287
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Judging by the indentation to the steel, it didn't fall from 1000 feet.
So you were at the site and inspected the damage to the concrete (and pavement), when? Can you share your data?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 22nd April 2016 at 03:14 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:20 PM   #288
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

How did they unload the 6 tons of steel from the truck?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:30 PM   #289
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
So you were at the site and inspected the damage to the concrete (and pavement), when? Can you share your data?
It is my opinion. Steel is pretty heavy duty too and not nearly as brittle as concrete is.
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:31 PM   #290
Jrrarglblarg

Your opinion, based on layman's understanding and looking at a couple of pix found on the Internet.

How did they unload the panel, Steve?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:32 PM   #291
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

It is my opinion. Steel is pretty heavy duty too and not nearly as brittle as concrete is.
What is your technical background that would lead anyone to value your opinion? You have no real knowledge on site conditions so how can you comment on the concrete strength? Thanks for confirming you have no real data on the site damage.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 22nd April 2016 at 03:36 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:37 PM   #292
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
What is your technical background that would lead anyone to value you opinion? Thanks for confirming you have no real data on the site damage.
I value your opinions too.
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:39 PM   #293
waypastvne
Muse

If you are wondering what the crazy bent pipe is, thats about 60' of the WTC sprinkler system.

If you look closely at the pipe you can see joints where the sprinkler heads attached. Apparently the landing gear went through one of the main stand pipes coming from the water supply stored near the roof.

Have you ever seen the video of the water from the stand pipe, poring out of the hole, where this panel used to be ?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:40 PM   #294
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I value your opinions too. Steel is pretty heavy duty too and not nearly as brittle as concrete is.
That doesn't answer me question. I'm a builder with 40 years experience so I know materials fairly well. I think you don't.

Last edited by DGM; 22nd April 2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:47 PM   #295
pgimeno
Illuminator

Do you think it fell several hundreds of metres directly on that curb?

I don't think the fall on the curb was much more than 10 metres. It most probably fell several metres away from that place and bounced around there until it settled. That would explain the deformations too. No hammers necessary.

Your opinion fails to consider that obvious factor.

Last edited by pgimeno; 22nd April 2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: grammar
pgimeno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 04:05 PM   #296
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

How was it unloaded from the truck?

What happened to the panel missing from the building (damage visible in films snd photographs after the impact) if this one is a fake?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 06:59 PM   #297
Axxman300
Philosopher

The mind boggles at how huge this conspiracy is, doesn't it. But that's the nature of the big lie.
That series of photos was shot before the South Tower was struck at 9:03 AM. The North Tower was hit at 8:46 AM.

Even with 1,000 men, there's no way to move that much stuff:

Steel outer frame
12+ damaged vehicles.
Additional steel pieces
Assorted debris

...not in 19 minutes.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 02:54 PM   #298
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Yeah, maybe they would have reported them to the media that broadcast the fake planes, or to the police that planted the plane parts, or to the military that launched the missiles. Maybe they could have gone to the government, or to the Mayor's office, or hey, how about the Port Authority Police. Someone would talk - pffffft!
The media is in on it.

The police are in on it.

The military is in on in.

The Mayor's office and the Port Authority Police are in on it.

Rather than enlisting the aid of literally hundreds of thousands of people and then trusting they will all keep a secret forever, wouldn't it just be easier to fly an airplane into the World Trade Center in order to make it look like the World Trade Center had been hit by an airplane?

you have a dizzying intellect
I'm sure it seems that way from some perspectives.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 03:03 PM   #299
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

The mind boggles at how huge this conspiracy is, doesn't it. But that's the nature of the big lie.

In what way does anyone benefit from this?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 03:53 PM   #300
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect your conspiracy, your claims are contained in ~1260 cubic centimeters (cm3). And the Big lie is large part of that volume close to 1260 cm3

Is ~1260 cm3 huge?
Old 24th April 2016, 05:46 PM   #301
JSanderO
Illuminator

The curb stone are granite and they are usually 3' deep...

Why do you assume the panel landed flat? It's a pretty good bet that regardless of how it first hit the ground... it toppled over to horizontal and not much force doing that... not enough to destroy the curb stone.
JSanderO is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 08:26 AM   #302
yankee451
Master Poster

If you are wondering what the crazy bent pipe is, thats about 60' of the WTC sprinkler system.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps7r5xirp1.jpg

If you look closely at the pipe you can see joints where the sprinkler heads attached. Apparently the landing gear went through one of the main stand pipes coming from the water supply stored near the roof.

Have you ever seen the video of the water from the stand pipe, poring out of the hole, where this panel used to be ?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
No I haven't seen that video, thank you. What is the original source?

There must have been quite a few broken pipes considering the miles of plumbing that would be required to service 220 acres of office space, but the hole where you are saying that panel flew from isn't at all clear. Can you provide a clear image or video of the place where that panel in the street allegedly flew from? The claim is that the aluminum jet cut through the steel of the north face and pushed out a wall panel in it's entirety. That would include all the bolts on the spandrels as well as those connecting the column ends and the trusses which you have made clear would have broken at their weakest points.

When looking at the wall panel in the street it can be seen that the spandrels are bent in the wrong direction that they should have been bent had that panel actually been pushed out from the inside, to which you responded that it was the force of that panel falling flat on the pavement that caused the spandrel ends to fold down. This despite the fact that the bottom of the box column where it hit the curb is only slightly bent. My point is that if the steel was so soft to have folded so easily at the spandrel I would think it would have been soft enough to have been severely damaged by the curb, not to mention the impact of whatever jet debris had the force to snap all of the bolts simultaneously and still propel six tons of steel for hundreds of feet. It seems to me that you're trying to have it both ways.

Which brings me to the truss straps.

These straps are arguably one of the weakest points of the truss system, agreed?

Last edited by yankee451; 27th April 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 27th April 2016, 08:30 AM   #303
Jrrarglblarg

Fringe reset with a Gish gallop. How very.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 08:41 AM   #304
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JSanderO View Post
The curb stone are granite and they are usually 3' deep...

Why do you assume the panel landed flat? It's a pretty good bet that regardless of how it first hit the ground... it toppled over to horizontal and not much force doing that... not enough to destroy the curb stone.
So it fell roughly 1000 feet and smacked the ground so hard that it folded all the spandrel ends flat against the box columns but didn't severely damage the pavement or columns it landed on. Check.
Old 27th April 2016, 08:47 AM   #305
Jrrarglblarg

How did they unload the panel from the truck, Steve?
Old 27th April 2016, 09:11 AM   #306
Belz...
Fiend God

That's the nature of conspiracy theories: make the conspiracy ever bigger in order to hide its flaws. Flaws, you say? Why, that's just one more layer of conspiracy!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 09:24 AM   #307
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That's the nature of conspiracy theories: make the conspiracy ever bigger in order to hide its flaws. Flaws, you say? Why, that's just one more layer of conspiracy!
That's the nature of the true believers, to believe big lies.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:27 AM   #308
Jrrarglblarg

But how did the conspirators unload the panel from the truck?
Old 27th April 2016, 09:32 AM   #309
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

So it fell roughly 1000 feet and smacked the ground so hard that it folded all the spandrel ends flat against the box columns but didn't severely damage the pavement or columns it landed on. Check.
We don't know what became of the panels on either side of it. You say the panel ends should be folded the other way, but that assumes the panel was pushed out while those on either side stayed in place. We don't know that.

You own explanation appears to be that in the minutes between the two towers being struck, a truck pulled up and unloaded it onto the ground, whereupon it was beaten with hammers until the ends were flattened the 'wrong' way. Is that in fact your claim?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 09:38 AM   #310
NoahFence
Banned

You know what a big lie is?

That the conspirators could have planted evidence. How'd they get the panel off the truck?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 09:45 AM   #311
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
We don't know what became of the panels on either side of it. You say the panel ends should be folded the other way, but that assumes the panel was pushed out while those on either side stayed in place. We don't know that.

You own explanation appears to be that in the minutes between the two towers being struck, a truck pulled up and unloaded it onto the ground, whereupon it was beaten with hammers until the ends were flattened the 'wrong' way. Is that in fact your claim?
Nope. Talk about assumptions.

I don't assume they staged that column in the street in minutes. I think the evidence is pretty clear that the perpetrators had unfettered access to the whole complex, not to mention all the street access and had plenty of time to get their stage set.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:54 AM   #312
Jrrarglblarg

But how did they unload the truck? Crane? Dump bed? Manual laborers from the Homedepot parking lot?

I'm very concerned. My entire belief system is hinging on this one question.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:02 AM   #313
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

How was it unloaded from the truck?

How long did it take?

Why did they need to hit it with hammers?

Why didn't anyone see this strange activity?

Who made the panel?

Why did they get its construction wrong?

What happened to the panel that is missing from the building?
Old 27th April 2016, 10:48 AM   #314
Jrrarglblarg

Seems to me an easier method would be to smear some Hush-a-boom on the connections between this panel and the others near it to blow it off like an airplane canopy on ejection.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:17 AM   #315
Axxman300
Philosopher

I don't assume they staged that column in the street in minutes. I think the evidence is pretty clear that the perpetrators had unfettered access to the whole complex, not to mention all the street access and had plenty of time to get their stage set.
No, they didn't. Not in Manhattan on a Tuesday morning, not in under 19 minutes, which is all the time that they had. 100,000+ people working in that area.

There is no way, even with 2,000 men, 4 cranes, and 20 trucks. No way at all.

It's not a movie set, you can't move heavy equipment in NYC on an average day without at least 50 calls to multiple agencies from angry New Yorkers. Every call is logged.

Your theory isn't just weak, it's non-existent. Unsustainable in the real world.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 11:35 AM   #316
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Maybe that would be a better experiment than a crash test. Build a section of wall panel, put it on a truck and see how practical it is to drive it into lower Manhattan in rush hour on a Tuesday. See if you can unload it in the street without being challenged for bonus points.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:42 AM   #317
Jrrarglblarg

Lolz
Old 27th April 2016, 11:44 AM   #318
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
No, they didn't. Not in Manhattan on a Tuesday morning, not in under 19 minutes, which is all the time that they had. 100,000+ people working in that area.
Lol, with the NYPD, FDNY and PA Police involved the perpetrators didn't need to worry about anyone seeing anything they weren't intended to see. No one was expecting any of this to happen except for the perpetrators and no one caught up in the confusion and adrenaline of the moment would have put two and two together anyway, but even if someone did see cops in uniform planting evidence, who would they report it to?

There is no way, even with 2,000 men, 4 cranes, and 20 trucks. No way at all.
There is no way it flew hundreds of feet, and yet there it is.

It's not a movie set, you can't move heavy equipment in NYC on an average day without at least 50 calls to multiple agencies from angry New Yorkers. Every call is logged.
Actually it was a movie set even before construction was completed, and used as a backdrop for publicity stunts too.

If you examine the images of the area it was found you can see that it would have been easy to block access to the area until the time was right. It's not like New Yorkers aren't accustomed to streets being blocked or anything.

http://yankee451.com/?p=2483
Old 27th April 2016, 11:49 AM   #319
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Seems to me an easier method would be to smear some Hush-a-boom on the connections between this panel and the others near it to blow it off like an airplane canopy on ejection.
oh man, don't give them any ideas....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 11:50 AM   #320
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Were the streets around the WTC complex blocked that day?

How did thry get it off the truck?

Was every Cop in New York in on it?
Are they still all in on it?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories