IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th April 2016, 08:21 AM   #41
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
......That is, if the floors ever existed.
Do you really want sensible grown-ups to inter-act with you? If you do, cutting out the ******** baby-stuff, such as this, will help your cause.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 08:21 AM   #42
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JSanderO View Post
The photo looks weird to you because you know little to noting about the twin towers or architecture.
http://resoundings.org/PDF/Brooklyn_Bridge.pdf
lol, evidence of 9/11 truth stink remains. Cut the BS

So it is true, there was no WTC, it was really the Brooklyn Bridge.

What is the point of the thread?
Old 28th April 2016, 08:25 AM   #43
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Do you really want sensible grown-ups to inter-act with you? If you do, cutting out the ******** baby-stuff, such as this, will help your cause.
Please try to limit your comments to the truss straps that indicate there was never any concrete poured on those floors. If you can.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 08:30 AM   #44
yankee451
Master Poster

It wasn't unfamiliarity with "truss" that was the issue (nor indeed "strap"), but that "truss strap" is a very particular thing here, and wouldn't be the term we would use for the horizontal restraint strap that is the subject of this nonsensical thread. But yeah, I'm with you on the notion of clarity, which is why I issued the post you responded to, to clarify an earlier query I had posted which may have been ambiguous. My clarification evidently caused confusion, so my apologies for that.
Quibbling about terminology doesn't make the evidence go away.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 08:32 AM   #45
waypastvne
Muse

Please try to limit your comments to the truss straps that indicate there was never any concrete poured on those floors. If you can.

But you just posted a photo of that very floor with concrete pored on it.

There is even a drain in the floor to allow the rain that enters to escape.
waypastvne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 08:37 AM   #46
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by waypastvne View Post
But you just posted a photo of that very floor with concrete pored on it.

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...-walkway-2.png

There is even a drain in the floor to allow the rain that enters to escape.
Then it was either a different floor or a different tower. The straps are an indication that at least at those levels on this tower, there was never any concrete poured.
Old 28th April 2016, 08:39 AM   #47
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Quibbling about terminology doesn't make the evidence go away.

Nor does it make any appear.
Old 28th April 2016, 08:40 AM   #48
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Then it was either a different floor or a different tower. The straps are an indication that at least at those levels on this tower, there was never any concrete poured.
Or perhaps, this picture was taken before the concrete was poured?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once." John Archibald Wheeler
DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 08:41 AM   #49
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

By "straps" do you mean those pieces of two-by-four bracing the louvres against flexion?
Old 28th April 2016, 08:43 AM   #50
waypastvne
Muse

Then it was either a different floor or a different tower.
Same tower same floor.
waypastvne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 08:44 AM   #51
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
By "straps" do you mean those pieces of two-by-four bracing the louvres against flexion?
The straps are mentioned in the OP, but can be seen in this image:

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...os-smaller.jpg
Old 28th April 2016, 08:46 AM   #52
yankee451
Master Poster

Same tower same floor.
Which tower?

Please explain how straps that were once encased in concrete would be hanging on the walls without a speck of concrete on them. Please explain why no concrete can be seen where the lobby ceiling met the walls.

Edit: To answer my own question it appears to be tower one, but which floor and how can you be sure that the floor in the open-air walkway is concrete? If the damage evidence is to be taken at face value, and if the images of the walkways were from the first mechanical floor for WTC1, then they must have used something other than concrete, at least for that floor.

Last edited by yankee451; 28th April 2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 08:52 AM   #53
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Which tower?

Please explain how straps that were once encased in concrete would be hanging on the walls without a speck of concrete on them. Please explain why no concrete can be seen where the lobby ceiling met the walls.
Do you have a point? Why would light weight concrete still be on stuff after E=mgh is released and crushed the WTC? What is the point?
Is there another lie you have? Why do you lie about 9/11? What is your point? So far you only skill on 9/11 issues is spreading lies.

Last edited by beachnut; 28th April 2016 at 08:54 AM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 09:05 AM   #54
Jrrarglblarg

It wasn't unfamiliarity with "truss" that was the issue (nor indeed "strap"), but that "truss strap" is a very particular thing here, and wouldn't be the term we would use for the horizontal restraint strap that is the subject of this nonsensical thread. But yeah, I'm with you on the notion of clarity, which is why I issued the post you responded to, to clarify an earlier query I had posted which may have been ambiguous. My clarification evidently caused confusion, so my apologies for that.
Mine as well. You know a Truther thread must be involved when people who agree on something start arguing about it

In Colorado building code we use a "hurricane clip" to connect every rafter or roof truss tail to the wall top plates. It's a flat strap of punched, galvanized steel with a twist in the middle. In theory it keeps the wind gods from stealing your roof, because without them the roof mostly is held on by gravity.

I have no idea what Steve is on about now.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 28th April 2016 at 09:07 AM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 09:06 AM   #55
Jrrarglblarg

Which tower?

Can you quantify how much concrete you expect to see and why, please? I'm very confused.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 09:20 AM   #56
yankee451
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JSanderO View Post

Second the mech floors did not use bar joists, they use standard beam and girder framing.
Old 28th April 2016, 09:25 AM   #57
waypastvne
Muse

Which tower?

Post # 2943

"7th technical floor at North Tower"

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...56090&page=148

Floor plan 7th Floor:

http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/evid...A/A-A-31_2.png
Old 28th April 2016, 09:29 AM   #58
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

The truss straps should have been covered with concrete.

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...s-straps-2.jpg

Can anyone explain why the truss straps would still be hanging from the walls where the lobby ceiling trusses were attached? Notice how they are also hanging from the level which should have been the ceiling to the first mechanical floor:

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...uss-straps.png

When zooming in to the lobby ceiling material it can be seen that no concrete was poured, which can also be said of the floors above it.

http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo...p-of-floor.jpg
They WERE encased in concrete. The concrete was destroyed, pounded by the falling debris.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 09:38 AM   #59
yankee451
Master Poster

Post # 2943

"7th technical floor at North Tower"

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...56090&page=148

Floor plan 7th Floor:

http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/evid...A/A-A-31_2.png
Yeah, that's my point. I am aware of the official statements but they don't reconcile with the remains seen in the damage evidence. They definitely didn't use concrete for those floors and had it been the big mechanical floor they said it was it would require some pretty beefy support. This I believe is a shot of some elevator motors from the 41st mechanical level, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by Agatha; 29th April 2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 09:54 AM   #60
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

As there was no such thing, other than in your febrile imagination, that is going to be rather a difficult task. So I'll stick to the forum rules, thanks, rather than your agenda.

I'll say again, there is no case to answer, and the only person suffering any confusion here is you. This is a really simple thing: some restraint straps pulled out of the concrete as the floors were removed by thousands of tons falling on them from above. If you've ever demolished any reinforced concrete, you might have noticed that smacking it hard leaves the re-bar extremely clean. End of story.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 09:56 AM   #61
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

[url]http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Gen1.png

[url]http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/drawing1.png
Jeez, you've been asked nicely. Will you resize your bloody photos so that they fit on the screen. Everyone else can manage it.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:00 AM   #62
waypastvne
Muse

Yeah, that's my point. I am aware of the official statements but they don't reconcile with the remains seen in the damage evidence. They definitely didn't use concrete for those floors and had it been the big mechanical floor they said it was it would require some pretty beefy support. This I believe is a shot of some elevator motors from the 41st mechanical level, but don't quote me on that.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the diagonal straps on the mechanical levels may have been underneath the floor pans and not encased in concrete.
The MEC floors had I beams not trusses and the diagonal straps need to attach directly to the I beam to do there job. On the normal floors the trusses extended up above the floorpans and the straps could be attached there.

Last edited by Agatha; 29th April 2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:02 AM   #63
yankee451
Master Poster

As there was no such thing, other than in your febrile imagination, that is going to be rather a difficult task. So I'll stick to the forum rules, thanks, rather than your agenda.

I'll say again, there is no case to answer, and the only person suffering any confusion here is you. This is a really simple thing: some restraint straps pulled out of the concrete as the floors were removed by thousands of tons falling on them from above. If you've ever demolished any reinforced concrete, you might have noticed that smacking it hard leaves the re-bar extremely clean. End of story.
Those straps were not rebar and not nearly as sturdy as the trusses they were attached to. For the mechanical floors they used I-Beams.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:10 AM   #64
yankee451
Master Poster

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the diagonal straps on the mechanical levels may have been underneath the floor pans and not encased in concrete.
The MEC floors had I beams not trusses and the diagonal straps need to attach directly to the I beam to do there job. On the normal floors the trusses extended up above the floorpans and the straps could be attached there.
All the images I have seen show them attached to the knuckle of the truss that protruded above the floor deck.

If you're saying that the truss straps seen hanging from the walls were actually used to support the I-Beams but were not poured into the floor, then that makes even less sense than trusses. Although all signs of IBeams and the thick reinforced concrete floors (8 inches or better) were obliterated, the thin straps remain unharmed.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:18 AM   #65
waypastvne
Muse

The straps in question appear to be angle not flat bar. They were underneath floor pans not buried in concrete.

Zoom in on your photo take a closer look.
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo.../FEMA-0240.jpg

Quote:
If you're saying that the truss straps seen hanging from the walls were actually used to support the I-Beams
Diagonally stabilise, not verticaly support.

Last edited by waypastvne; 28th April 2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:19 AM   #66
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Those straps were not rebar and not nearly as sturdy as the trusses they were attached to.......
Did I claim otherwise? Oh, and not being re-bar, they had a smooth surface, and yet you still expect concrete to cling to them. Your theory is so lame that all I can think is that you are claiming some sort of prize elsewhere for keeping us talking on this silly notion for as long as possible.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:37 AM   #67
yankee451
Master Poster

The straps in question appear to be angle not flat bar. They were underneath floor pans not buried in concrete.

Zoom in on your photo take a closer look.
http://yankee451.com/wp-content/uplo.../FEMA-0240.jpg

Look again - what concrete? There appear to be truss supports there, and no sign of IBeams.

Diagonally stabilise, not verticaly support.
Why would flimsy straps be needed to stabilize IBeams? Do you have any links to support this idea? Must have been super strong straps to survive where the whole floor, concrete, IBeams and floor decks were wiped out.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:47 AM   #68
Jrrarglblarg

Look again - what concrete? There appear to be truss supports there, and no sign of IBeams.

Why would flimsy straps be needed to stabilize IBeams? Do you have any links to support this idea? Must have been super strong straps to survive where the whole floor, concrete, IBeams and floor decks were wiped out.
Tension, compression and deflection are three different directions to be controlled by engineering. Thin flat straps are perfect for tension, as in the hurricane clips I mentioned upthread. A tornado can pick up an entire house with them, if the floor isn't also tied to the topplates with steel strap exactly like they use to band bunks of lumber.

In fact, that's another example of surprisingly thin metal used in a structural manner - the banding on pallets of lumber. Very thin and flexible, very strong in a tension-only application.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:50 AM   #69
yankee451
Master Poster

But lets assume you're right and those straps were once attached between the ibeams. Either way you slice it there is no evidence of ibeams, nor of trusses, nor of concrete, so whatever it was that those straps were once connected to, must have been dismantled.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:51 AM   #70
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......Why would flimsy straps be needed to stabilize IBeams? Do you have any links to support this idea? Must have been super strong straps to survive where the whole floor, concrete, IBeams and floor decks were wiped out.
Do you not bother to read what I write?

I explained the purpose of these straps half a day ago. They aren't to support anything, and they aren't to stabilise the floor, or any part of the floor. They are to tie the walls to the floor. Their job is to hold the walls in against the edge of the floor slab. Forces exerted on the external skin of the building such as wind loads, earthquakes, vibrations etc are what they are there to resist. There is actually a clue to this is the name I used: horizontal restraint straps: they are restraining against horizontal movement.

This is absolutely bog standard stuff that goes into every single domestic scale building and upwards. You really should know this before you start pontificating about the things.

Some reading.

Last edited by MikeG; 28th April 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:53 AM   #71
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

....Either way you slice it there is no evidence of ibeams, nor of trusses, nor of concrete, so whatever it was that those straps were once connected to, must have been dismantled.
What do you mean, no evidence? They were piled up on the ground beneath their original location until they were cleared away. "Whatever those straps were connected to" (walls and floors) were dismantled. Didn't you notice: the WTCs fell down when some planes crashed into them.

Last edited by MikeG; 28th April 2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:59 AM   #72
yankee451
Master Poster

Do you not bother to read what I write?

I explained the purpose of these straps half a day ago. They aren't to support anything, and they aren't to stabilise the floor, or any part of the floor. They are to tie the walls to the floor. Their job is to hold the walls in against the edge of the floor slab. Forces exerted on the external skin of the building such as wind loads, earthquakes, vibrations etc are what they are there to resist. There is actually a clue to this is the name I used: horizontal restraint straps: they are restraining against horizontal movement.

This is absolutely bog standard stuff that goes into every single domestic scale building and upwards. You really should know this before you start pontificating about the things.
Great! So why are they not visible on all spandrels?
Old 28th April 2016, 11:02 AM   #73
yankee451
Master Poster

All this talk about trusses, floors, straps and concrete, but none of the images contain anything beyond the straps. Shouldn't there be a sizeable pile of ibeams and car-sized elevator motors somewhere around there?

http://yankee451.com/?p=3232

Last edited by yankee451; 28th April 2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:06 AM   #74
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Great! So why are they not visible on all spandrels?
Firstly, it is only your claim that they aren't. I have no idea whether it is a valid claim.

Secondly, if some remained attached to the floor and detached themselves from the wall, so what? There are different forces at work in different locations in the chaos of a building collapse, so similar components in different locations can be expected to behave in different ways.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:09 AM   #75
yankee451
Master Poster

Firstly, it is only your claim that they aren't. I have no idea whether it is a valid claim.
Look at the images you were complaining about.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:48 AM   #76
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

In this thread .... yankee451 has a huge load of fun. Outstanding work!
Old 28th April 2016, 12:34 PM   #77
Jaytje46
Muse

Pouring of concrete in the towers.

https://youtu.be/Jwc49cZKunQ?t=9m47s
Old 28th April 2016, 12:42 PM   #78
Jaytje46
Muse

Anyway, what are you trying to proof with your claim btw?
Old 28th April 2016, 12:55 PM   #79
Jaytje46
Muse

http://www.city-data.com/disaster-ph...hotos/5476.jpg
Old 28th April 2016, 02:52 PM   #80
waypastvne
Muse

Originally Posted by Jaytje46 View Post

That ends the discussion. The straps were angles not flat bar and were installed below the floor pans. Mystery solved.

Yankee do you need one of us to put an arrow on the photo pointing to the remains of the concrete floor or can you find it yourself ?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories