IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Spanx
Master Poster

Truther peer reviewed papers

A simple question........

When have they ever been used in the real world and who has benefitted from them?

I would love to know, thanks
Spanx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 01:34 AM   #2
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Silence speaks volumes......

Hey truthers! Bring forth your trusted and peer reviewed experts! Yankee451, FalseFlag, Malbec, Kyoon, bubba (Where is bubba, by the way?), Criteria, Micah Java?

Someone?

Anyone?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 01:56 AM   #3
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Silence speaks volumes......

Hey truthers! Bring forth your trusted and peer reviewed experts! Yankee451, FalseFlag, Malbec, Kyoon, bubba (Where is bubba, by the way?), Criteria, Micah Java?

Someone?

Anyone?
Don't forget Tony Sz

I keep hearing about these papers and the only purpose I can can see is to suck in gullible people.

I'm happy to be corrected though.
Spanx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 03:24 AM   #4
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spanx View Post

When have they ever been used in the real world and who has benefitted from them?
I don't quite get what sort of answer you expect. To help me, can you illustrate this by giving a specific example of a paper that supports the commonly accepted narrative and who, specifically, has benefitted from it? And how, exactly? Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 03:45 AM   #5
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I don't quite get what sort of answer you expect. To help me, can you illustrate this by giving a specific example of a paper that supports the commonly accepted narrative and who, specifically, has benefitted from it? And how, exactly? Thanks
There is no specific peer reviewed article.

"Truthers" like to mention peer reviewed articles about 911 as some form of evidence of the "inside job". As of yet I personally have not seen any evidence of an "inside job" and do not see these peer reviewed articles of any use at all.

I would expect these article to improve on building control and benefit future building projects on a safety aspect.
Old 29th May 2016, 03:52 AM   #6
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

There is no specific peer reviewed article.
What else is there?

"Truthers" like to mention peer reviewed articles about 911 as some form of evidence of the "inside job".
"Debunkers" like to mention peer reviewed articles about 911 as some form of evidence of the "official story". Same thing. Apparently, you seem to think that, apart from establishing some information about some aspect of the knowable world, some people would "benefit" from such papers mentioned. I would like to see how.

As of yet I personally have not seen any evidence of an "inside job" and do not see these peer reviewed articles of any use at all.
Agreed. However...

I would expect these article to improve on building control and benefit future building projects on a safety aspect.
...did this, in fact, occur as a result of any peer reviewed papers?

When have these paper ever been used in the real world and who has benefitted from them?

If you cannot give an answer to your own question as regarding the good papers, how can you fairly expect truthers to answer the question with regard to their papers? It would be an ill-posed question - a question designed to fail.
Old 29th May 2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Spanx
Master Poster

If you cannot give an answer to your own question as regarding the good papers, how can you fairly expect truthers to answer the question with regard to their papers? It would be an ill-posed question - a question designed to fail.
My question is not about the "good" papers. You are welcome to tell me the benefit of these if you like. (I have not said there is any benefit to these)
Old 29th May 2016, 04:17 AM   #8
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

My question is not about the "good" papers. You are welcome to tell me the benefit of these if you like. (I have not said there is any benefit to these)
Color me baffled.

Could our resident truthers answer "there is any benefit to these" and satisfy you?

Ok, I take it that there is no benefit to the "official" papers. Thanks for admitting as much.
Old 29th May 2016, 04:26 AM   #9
Spanx
Master Poster

Color me baffled.

Could our resident truthers answer "there is any benefit to these" and satisfy you?

Ok, I take it that there is no benefit to the "official" papers. Thanks for admitting as much.
The title is Truther peer reviewed papers.

I have not admitted anything about official papers apart that I have not said anything about them.

As to whether our resident truthers could answer? I don't know, hence asking the question.
Old 29th May 2016, 04:31 AM   #10
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

The NIST reports are peer reviewed publications which support the commonly accepted narrative. They have been used as the basis for improvements in building safety codes, and everyone using or passing near to high-rise buildings benefits from them being built more robustly in terms of personal safety when in or near them.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
The NIST reports are peer reviewed publications which support the commonly accepted narrative. They have been used as the basis for improvements in building safety codes, and everyone using or passing near to high-rise buildings benefits from them being built more robustly in terms of personal safety when in or near them.

Dave
Probably true.

But the reports are not papers.
Are there any "beneficial" papers?

I am not doubting that papers can be / are "beneficial", since that is a matter of opinion. I merely want to get a feel for what Spanx would let pass as "beneficial".
Dave, I am sure you get what I am after
Old 29th May 2016, 09:10 AM   #12
Spanx
Master Poster

. I merely want to get a feel for what Spanx would let pass as "beneficial".
Are you asking me to answer my own question ?
Old 29th May 2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Are you asking me to answer my own question ?
No. I asked my own question, which you evaded ("truther-style", I am almost inclined to remark snarkily ):

I hilighted the question marks for your benefit. Perhaps you missed them the first time around
Old 29th May 2016, 09:20 AM   #14
Spanx
Master Poster

No. I asked my own question, which you evaded ("truther-style", I am almost inclined to remark snarkily ):

I hilighted the question marks for your benefit. Perhaps you missed them the first time around
Why not start your own thread and ask the question you want to ask.

This thread is about Truther peer reviewed papers.
Old 29th May 2016, 09:49 AM   #15
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I would love to know, thanks
I think I can answer your question. "Truthers" benefit from them in the real world because they can use them to promote their cause. They are used frequently in "truther" gatherings and lectures.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 29th May 2016 at 09:50 AM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 09:53 AM   #16
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Why not start your own thread and ask the question you want to ask.

This thread is about Truther peer reviewed papers.
Spanx, you have posted way too many intelligent posts here to play this dumb. You understand of course that I am not interested in an answer to my question as such (quite the contrary: I think it is a very silly and also unfair question; ill posed, without any constructive purpose; a bad question that would better remain unasked if it weren't for its twin). As I said:

See, I hilighted a different part of my question. Perhaps you missed it the last two times around! The highlighted part provides the context for my question. The context is YOUR question, and what sort of answer you expect.
Therefore, my question belongs in this thread, nowhere else.

I would not open a thread with such a silly, vague and unfair question.

All of this you no doubt already understood. I am disappointed that you play the evasive games Truthers usually do.
Old 29th May 2016, 09:53 AM   #17
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I think I can answer your question. "Truthers" benefit from them in the real world because they can use them to promote their cause. They are used frequently in "truther" gatherings and lectures.
That's the way I see it.

Although it would be nice to see a truthers view on them.

Good to see you understood the question
Old 29th May 2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

What a self-serving answer.

Who has benefitted from the Bazant, Uzmani etc. papers, and how? Try to answer this, and you will soon find that this is a matter of prejudice, personal values, group afiliation and faith. A silly, vague and unfair question.
Old 29th May 2016, 09:57 AM   #19
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

That's the way I see it.

Although it would be nice to see a truthers view on them.

Good to see you understood the question
Fact of the matter is, this answer could fit the vast majority of peer reviewed papers (Less the "truther" reference).

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 09:58 AM   #20
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

What a self-serving answer.

Who has benefitted from the Bazant, Uzmani etc. papers, and how? Try to answer this, and you will soon find that this is a matter of prejudice, personal values, group afiliation and faith. A silly, vague and unfair question.
See post above this...........

Old 29th May 2016, 10:03 AM   #21
Spanx
Master Poster

Spanx, you have posted way too many intelligent posts here to play this dumb. You understand of course that I am not interested in an answer to my question as such (quite the contrary: I think it is a very silly and also unfair question; ill posed, without any constructive purpose; a bad question that would better remain unasked if it weren't for its twin). As I said:

See, I hilighted a different part of my question. Perhaps you missed it the last two times around! The highlighted part provides the context for my question. The context is YOUR question, and what sort of answer you expect.
Therefore, my question belongs in this thread, nowhere else.

I would not open a thread with such a silly, vague and unfair question.

All of this you no doubt already understood. I am disappointed that you play the evasive games Truthers usually do.
If you really need a specific paper? How about the Bentham paper.

How has anyone benefitted out of that?

Remember I am not you and I can open a thread however I like and I have the right to stay on topic.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:10 AM   #22
Spanx
Master Poster

Fact of the matter is, this answer could fit the vast majority of peer reviewed papers (Less the "truther" reference).
That's true but as dave has pointed out up thread the NIST report has changed building safety codes.

Although this thread is about Truther paper.
Old 29th May 2016, 11:59 AM   #23
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Remember I am not you and I can open a thread however I like and I have the right to stay on topic.
Truther-style evasion.
I am out, and you lost (a bit of my respect).
Old 29th May 2016, 12:00 PM   #24
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

The OP is a vague, silly, unfair gotcha-question.
Old 29th May 2016, 12:19 PM   #25
Spanx
Master Poster

Truther-style evasion.
I am out, and you lost (a bit of my respect).
Oh well that's your choice.
Old 29th May 2016, 07:01 PM   #26
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

I used the printed Version to light a brush pile on fire with a leaf blower.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2016, 12:47 AM   #27
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
I used the printed Version to light a brush pile on fire with a leaf blower.
I hope the ink was special nano-thermite ink, standard paper and ink would not be enough to start a fire and surely a leaf blower would blow the fire out
Old 30th May 2016, 05:02 AM   #28
Georgio
Muse

The OP is a vague, silly, unfair gotcha-question.
That's how it read to me and I agree with your other criticisms in this thread.

@Spanx - It feels to me like you were saying, 'These papers don't benefit anyone in the real world - can I get an amen?' and wanted a thread full of responses like Cosmic Yak's post number 2 and Crazy Chainsaw's latest one. The vagueness and loaded nature of the OP seem to discourage proper discussion.
Old 30th May 2016, 05:12 AM   #29
Spanx
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
That's how it read to me and I agree with your other criticisms in this thread.

@Spanx - It feels to me like you were saying, 'These papers don't benefit anyone in the real world - can I get an amen?' and wanted a thread full of responses like Cosmic Yak's post number 2 and Crazy Chainsaw's latest one. The vagueness and loaded nature of the OP seem to discourage proper discussion.
You could always tell me who does benefit from them. If nobody benefits from them, what is the point.

I would love to know.
Old 30th May 2016, 05:41 AM   #30
Georgio
Muse

You could always tell me who does benefit from them.
I don't claim anyone outside the 911 Truth Movement, which is what I assume you meant by 'the real world', does. It's my view that they exist to promote the idea of scientific rigor within the movement's researches, acting as a kind of propaganda.
Old 30th May 2016, 05:50 AM   #31
Spanx
Master Poster

I don't claim anyone outside the 911 Truth Movement, which is what I assume you meant by 'the real world', does. It's my view that they exist to promote the idea of scientific rigor within the movement's researches, acting as a kind of propaganda.
That's your opinion, which I respect, although it doesn't actually answer my question.

Maybe? Some of the people in comic yak's post will come forward if they feel anyone in the real world benefits from them.
Old 30th May 2016, 06:11 AM   #32
Georgio
Muse

That's your opinion, which I respect, although it doesn't actually answer my question.
Fair enough.

Maybe? Some of the people in comic yak's post will come forward if they feel anyone in the real world benefits from them.
Maybe, although as I say, I feel the tone of the OP rather discourages that.
Old 30th May 2016, 07:13 AM   #33
Spanx
Master Poster

Maybe, although as I say, I feel the tone of the OP rather discourages that.
It shouldn't be a problem for them if they feel they are of benefit to anyone.
Old 30th May 2016, 01:10 PM   #34
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

So besides that there is no real purpose then, which I'm guessing is Spanx's point.
Old 30th May 2016, 01:40 PM   #35
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
So besides that there is no real purpose then, which I'm guessing is Spanx's point.
Perhaps instead of letting you guess, and instead of asking gotcha-questions, Spanx should express straight and honestly what is point is - make a specific claim of some sort. If he has a point, of course.
If there is no point to this thread, then we can as well all abandon it now.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:01 PM   #36
Spanx
Master Poster

Perhaps instead of letting you guess, and instead of asking gotcha-questions, Spanx should express straight and honestly what is point is - make a specific claim of some sort. If he has a point, of course.
If there is no point to this thread, then we can as well all abandon it now.
Oystein, because you can't answer the question it does not mean the question is not there.

It's just a question you can't answer and there may ? Be someone who feels they can.

It's a simple question with no catch.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:05 PM   #37
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Oystein, because you can't answer the question it does not mean the question is not there.

It's just a question you can't answer and there may ? Be someone who feels they can.

It's a simple question with no catch.
I think this post is dishonest and deceptive.
I think you know it is.
So why don't you stop it.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:08 PM   #38
Spanx
Master Poster

I think this post is dishonest and deceptive.
I think you know it is.
So why don't you stop it.
And how is it dishonest and deceptive.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:44 PM   #39
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

And how is it dishonest and deceptive.
You deliberately misrepresent my criticism. You erect a strawman.
I do not believe you are unaware of this.
You pile this dishonesty on top of the dishonesty that is the OP.
Old 30th May 2016, 02:50 PM   #40
Spanx
Master Poster

You deliberately misrepresent my criticism. You erect a strawman.
I do not believe you are unaware of this.
You pile this dishonesty on top of the dishonesty that is the OP.
If you say so.

You couldn't possibly be wrong.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories