IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags person of the year , prediction thread , time magazine

Old 26th November 2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Predict Time's "Person of the Year"!

On December 6th, Time will announce 2017's "Person of the Year". Trump tweeted the other day that they told him he'll be it a second year in a row, and that he declined. Time informed him that he is mistaken.

So who will it be? Remember that this is not the Nobel Prize for greatness, nor a polularity contest. Here is a list of all past PotY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_P...ns_of_the_Year

You will see that often the US President-elect is chosen - this happened with Trump in 2016, but also Obama (2008 and 2012), Bush II (2000 and 2004), Clinton (1992), Reagan (1980), Carter (1976) - obviously not in response to great achievements as President but merely for having won the election.

You will also see that it isn't always the nicest person who wins - Hitler (1938), Stalin (1939 and 1942) and Khomeini (1979) all were PotY, as well as dictators such as Haile Selassie, Nikita Khrushchev, Anwar Sadat, Deng Xiaoping, Yuri Andropov or Vladimir Putin.

Also three Popes.

Sometimes, they elect groups, some of them rather unspecific/unnamed, such as "The Peacemakers" (1993), "The Whistleblowers" (2002), "You" (i.e. everybody who contributes content to the internet, 2006), "The Protester" (2011), "The Ebola Fighters" (2014).
Old 26th November 2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

And here are my favourites:

1. Xi Jinping, President of China
He has consolidated power over China during the last 5 years like no one else has since Deng Xiaoping, is young enough at 53 years to see a long reign, and with the voluntary decline of the USA into irrelevance has emerged in 2017 as the de-facto leader of the World.

2. "The Fact-Checkers"
In the age of Web 3.0, social media bots, fake news, this new type of journalism may be saving us from totalitarianism

3. Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia
While clearly inferior in power to both Xi Jinping and DJT, he is nonetheless the person in the world whose star has risen like none other, having been appointed as Crown Prince only in June 2017, and already having enough power inside the nation with the world's greated oil reserves to stage a sweeping coup and push an aggressive foreign policy.
Old 26th November 2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I also declined a second person of the year.

However, like when I won it will be a group award. I think it will be all the women who have come forward and outed publicly the institutional sexual harassment in this country.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 09:46 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah I see another "Group" getting Person of the Year, perhaps with a symbolic representative(s).
Old 26th November 2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Juli Briskman.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 10:43 AM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Putin for a second time.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They picked the three whistleblowers in 2002: Sherron Watkins of Enron, Coleen Rowley of the FBI and Cynthia Cooper of WorldCom. I'm hoping they choose the women who exposed sexual assault and rape this year. And I hope it has a bigger impact than celebrating the whistleblowers from 2002.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They picked the three whistleblowers in 2002: Sherron Watkins of Enron, Coleen Rowley of the FBI and Cynthia Cooper of WorldCom. I'm hoping they choose the women who exposed sexual assault and rape this year. And I hope it has a bigger impact than celebrating the whistleblowers from 2002.
That's a very logical and solid pick. I second the motion!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 10:54 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
And here are my favourites:

2. "The Fact-Checkers"
In the age of Web 3.0, social media bots, fake news, this new type of journalism may be saving us from totalitarianism
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Yeah I see another "Group" getting Person of the Year, perhaps with a symbolic representative(s).
I hate those group awards. But I could see one going to the Alt-Right.

Regardless of who is named, Trump is almost certainly going to tweet something stupid about it.

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th November 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 11:52 AM   #10
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Either Xi, or some "group", yes.
Old 26th November 2017, 12:16 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Jared Kushner.

Everything else is Fake News.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 12:26 PM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Inanimate Carbon Rod!
Old 26th November 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm sure whoever it is, it will be someone who is as big a P.O.S. as Trump. Or an Inanimate Carbon Rod.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 12:35 PM   #14
NoahFence
Banned

The people who attended the woman's march.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 12:41 PM   #15
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

"Fake News", both the real and the imagined.
Old 26th November 2017, 12:49 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I hate those group awards. But I could see one going to the Alt-Right.
I even found myself imagining the cover: Composite picture including Bannon, Gorka, and Trump along with Charlottesvill marchers with Confederate and Nazi flags.

I'm kinda hoping for Robert Mueller. Trump's head will explode.
Old 27th November 2017, 05:32 AM   #17
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Why not that CNN apple?
Old 27th November 2017, 05:35 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

My sensible suggestion would be Xi Jinping.

But if I was in charge the temptation to choose someone like say Sessions or Hillary Clinton would be almost irresistible!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 05:43 AM   #19
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Trump
Xi Jinping
Assad
Whoever punched Richard Spencer
The redhead cashier at my local supermarket
Old 27th November 2017, 05:46 AM   #20
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I'd save Mueller for next year, when he starts indicting Trump's inner circle causing Trump to panic and lash out with all the chaos that'll ensue.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 06:41 AM   #21
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I kind of hope that the selection is not directly about Trump - neither Trump himself or his clique, nor an overt Trump opponent. Xi would fit the bill perfectly. So would "The women that spoke out" against sexual harrassment.
Old 27th November 2017, 07:17 AM   #22
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
On December 6th, Time will announce 2017's "Person of the Year". Trump tweeted the other day that they told him he'll be it a second year in a row, and that he declined. Time informed him that he is mistaken.

More amusing, he claimed that they told him he would probably be chosen again, and he declined because "probably" wasn't good enough. They responded that the process didn't work that way.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 08:43 AM   #23
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I agree that the women-who-spoke-out would be an excellent choice.

Another influential and news-making "type" in the U.S. this past year: the mass-shooter.

I was pretty much convinced it was going to be Trump again. If the decision went solely with the most-reported-on it would clearly have to be. But thinking about it, maybe not. Despite and apart from being constantly reported on, how influential has Trump actually been in 2017? He hasn't led his party in any new or successful direction (the last election results suggest quite the contrary) and he hasn't accomplished much actual change for good or ill.

Last edited by Myriad; 27th November 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 08:55 AM   #24
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Alyssa Milano, starter of #Metoo?

About time she won something.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 09:16 AM   #25
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It will be the women who spoke out. No matter what they were planning a few weeks ago, this year has taken a dramatic turn.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 09:50 AM   #26
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Esteemed sailor, explorer and survivalist Jennifer Appel.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 10:27 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If I were Time I'd pick Hillary Clinton just for the reaction from Trump.
Old 27th November 2017, 10:34 AM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
One of my thoughts also.

Or maybe Kim Jung-Un?
Old 27th November 2017, 10:41 AM   #29
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
One of my thoughts also.

Or maybe Kim Jung-Un?
Not Kim Jung-Un. Trump likes him, so that won't ruffle his feathers.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:42 AM   #30
applecorped
Banned

Colin Kaepernick
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:57 AM   #31
Monza
Alta Viro

Mueller would be my pick as he has been the driving force, albeit behind the scenes, of many headlines this year.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:16 PM   #32
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I somehow wonder if TIME is frantically getting a new issue put together with a new POTY after having previously selected Trump!
Old 27th November 2017, 12:19 PM   #33
Garrison
Philosopher

Robert Mueller perhaps?
Old 27th November 2017, 12:25 PM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
One of my thoughts also.
Hell, I'd go along with it just to see Hillary's reaction.

"I came >this close< to being POTUS, and all I got was TIME's POTY instead."

But the way people talk about it, you'd think TIME's pick is more important than the Nobel Peace Prize. You get all excited about it, but the best you can come up with is, "hopefully it will annoy Donald Trump."

Frankly, I hope that the people who are really doing some good in this world get recognized by someone much more worthwhile than TIME Magazine.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:30 PM   #35
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

But the way people talk about it, you'd think TIME's pick is more important than the Nobel Peace Prize. You get all excited about it, but the best you can come up with is, "hopefully it will annoy Donald Trump."

Frankly, I hope that the people who are really doing some good in this world get recognized by someone much more worthwhile than TIME Magazine.
Trump is the one who has elevated it to such heights by both faking covers for himself and now faking an offer to be on the cover again. Time is barely worth reading while waiting to see my dentist. But to Trump it seems quite important.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:34 PM   #36
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Colin Kaepernick
GQ went that route, although they called him "Citizen of the Year."
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 01:09 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Besides not playing much football, and stirring up ineffectual controversy, what has Kaepernick done this year? Like, on a Vladimir Putin / Kim Jong Un level of impact?

What was his cause? BLM? How much have they advanced this year, as a result of his "activism"?

Hell, lately even Corey Feldman seems to be getting more traction than Colin Kaepernick.
Old 27th November 2017, 01:10 PM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Trump is the one who has elevated it to such heights by both faking covers for himself and now faking an offer to be on the cover again. Time is barely worth reading while waiting to see my dentist. But to Trump it seems quite important.
And now everybody is playing along. It's like he's living rent free in your head.
Old 27th November 2017, 02:02 PM   #39
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Alyssa Milano, starter of #Metoo?

About time she won something.
I don't believe she started the hashtag.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 02:03 PM   #40
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Who said it was important? I speculate about the Stanley Cup, but it's only a game.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events