ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th August 2020, 06:35 PM   #81
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I had a neighbor whose hobby was fixing up old IH Scouts. His motto on the license plate frame of the daily driver one: JEEP IS A FOUR LETTER WORD.

For some reason Kaspersky thinks that link is a threat to my financial security. Weird.
I suppose it is if it makes you buy one!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 12:14 AM   #82
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Bruto: so much truth. Jeeps are a relationship, not always a good one either. That J200 left you with good memories, but was probably a pain in the ass more often.

Treb: in this case, the Russians are right

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 07:48 PM   #83
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

The most interesting Jeep ever built is the Forward Control Jeep.

Thanks for coming out.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 10:23 PM   #84
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I alas never had one of those FC Jeeps, because even back in the 1970's when I had my first Jeep, they were rather rare, and a good solid one was difficult to find at a good price. But clearly from the point of view of maximum space in a small size, they were unbeatable. Great plow vehicles, and maneuverable. Unfortunately, also, it seemed that when they rusted, they didn't just get ugly and full of holes, but pretty much fell apart.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 06:01 AM   #85
fleabeetle
Muse

I'm ignorant as regards motor vehicles; but oddly enough, as a railway enthusiast I can make an -- albeit somewhat drifting-off -- contribution to a thread about "things Jeep". A matter from the UK, of which I am a citizen and resident.

For many decades, a small rail system in Northern Ireland -- essentially Belfast to Londonderry via the north coast, and various branch lines -- was owned and administered by Great Britain's London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and its predecessors. Shortly after World War II there were built in England for this undertaking, eighteen new steam locomotives: modern tank locos of the 2-6-4 wheel arrangement, to a design very similar to one then in use in Great Britain. These locos were designated as class WT: they were well-liked by the railwaymen who worked on them -- they being found well-designed and reliable machines which performed well on duties of every kind. This versatility -- and with WWII-related terms being to the fore of people's minds at the time the locos entered service -- caused the railwaymen to give them the nickname "Jeeps". (They were busily in traffic for nearly a quarter of a century; one has been preserved in working order.)

Attempting a link -- a thing with which I tend to have problems -- hope it may work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCC_Class_WT
fleabeetle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 02:33 PM   #86
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...cc0a0aed0e.jpg

Thanks for coming out.
I was only vaguely aware of the existence of those and then, right after your post, saw one on the road today! Not in Army paint, however.

Originally Posted by fleabeetle View Post
I'm ignorant as regards motor vehicles; but oddly enough, as a railway enthusiast I can make an -- albeit somewhat drifting-off -- contribution to a thread about "things Jeep". A matter from the UK, of which I am a citizen and resident.

For many decades, a small rail system in Northern Ireland -- essentially Belfast to Londonderry via the north coast, and various branch lines -- was owned and administered by Great Britain's London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and its predecessors. Shortly after World War II there were built in England for this undertaking, eighteen new steam locomotives: modern tank locos of the 2-6-4 wheel arrangement, to a design very similar to one then in use in Great Britain. These locos were designated as class WT: they were well-liked by the railwaymen who worked on them -- they being found well-designed and reliable machines which performed well on duties of every kind. This versatility -- and with WWII-related terms being to the fore of people's minds at the time the locos entered service -- caused the railwaymen to give them the nickname "Jeeps". (They were busily in traffic for nearly a quarter of a century; one has been preserved in working order.)

Attempting a link -- a thing with which I tend to have problems -- hope it may work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCC_Class_WT
When I was a kid my family went to the Lewis and Clark Caverns in Montana. To get to the entrance from the visitor center you took a little train, the locomotive of which was an actual Jeep.
Old 8th August 2020, 07:35 AM   #87
fleabeetle
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
When I was a kid my family went to the Lewis and Clark Caverns in Montana. To get to the entrance from the visitor center you took a little train, the locomotive of which was an actual Jeep.
I like this ! Going kinda-further off, but also kinda-further a bit on, topic: I recall from my early-1950s childhood in the east of England, an attraction at England's North Sea seaside resort of Hunstanton: numerous seals live and breed and generally do their thing, in the inlet of the North Sea called The Wash, just south of Hunstanton. Trips are run for visitors, to go and see and admire the seals: certainly half-a-century-plus ago, the way to accomplish this regardless of tide conditions, was to -- when appropriate -- embark the "punters" in an American, ex-WWII DUKW (amphibious craft) to take them from the beach, out to the "proper" boat moored at no-problem depth; which after transferring of the people, would then take them south for their rendezvous with the seals.
fleabeetle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 09:01 PM   #88
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by qayak View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...cc0a0aed0e.jpg

Thanks for coming out.
Indeed.

The later FC Concept was pretty cool, too. But not quite as cool as the original.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 09:04 PM   #89
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by fleabeetle View Post
I like this ! Going kinda-further off, but also kinda-further a bit on, topic:
To the extent my opinion matter at all as the OP of this thread, your posts seem perfectly on topic to me. Sharing the meaning of Historical Jeeps from your own perspective, I like that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts