ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:19 AM   #521
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
At best, they'll deny it with a wink and elbow dig to the base.

IMO, this is the logical outcome of normalizing atrocious behavior, first highly visible with Abu Ghraib/Guantanamo/extraditions to torture hellholes and the open advocacy for torture of the Bush II administration. It felt too good to give it to the boys who did 9/11, or any passable -- and helpless -- substitute. Just had to take 'em out behind the shed til they bled.

Uncle Sam has not had his moral trousers up since, nor does he know where true North lies.

ETA: And far too many people serving in the military, normalizing in civilian life through spillover what pertains only to military matters.
I would bet that some "fee for service" grifting is involved here as well. Ordering unnecessary surgeries sounds like a great way to pad the government bill, and who cares about the patients, they aren't people.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:22 AM   #522
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I would bet that some "fee for service" grifting is involved here as well. Ordering unnecessary surgeries sounds like a great way to pad the government bill, and who cares about the patients, they aren't people.
Feet to the fire that's probably a bigger motivating factor in this than some more direct, nefarious "We've got to stop the darkies from breeding" one (although don't get me wrong I'd wager that is still in there more than enough to just be... just every kind of horrible).

You never want to give medicine for profit people a captive audience, pardon the pun.
Old 15th September 2020, 02:59 PM   #523
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh so that's where all the toothbrush and basic sanitation money went. They blew it on hysterectomies. Yeah perfectly normal behavior for a non-fascist functioning democracy.
Joke's on you - fascist governments actually got it from us, as is often the case for the Nazis. Forced hysterectomies were very common in the US, used to sterilize black and indigenous, as well as disabled, women in order to destroy the listed groups - see Fannie Lou Hamer for one more famous example. This was partly upheld in the the Buck vs. Bell Supreme Court decision of 1927.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 03:23 PM   #524
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

How about sending the government off to prosecute people who say bad things about you. Does that count?
Old 15th September 2020, 05:18 PM   #525
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Feet to the fire that's probably a bigger motivating factor in this than some more direct, nefarious "We've got to stop the darkies from breeding" one (although don't get me wrong I'd wager that is still in there more than enough to just be... just every kind of horrible).

You never want to give medicine for profit people a captive audience, pardon the pun.
Plenty of greedy people go along with authoritarian regimes to make a buck. Not everyone running concentration camps are true believing party men, so to speak. At the very least, this doc was ok with performing sterilizations on imprisoned immigrants without any kind of meaningful informed consent, and the people running the jail thought routine sterilization was an acceptable state of affairs. Smells like fascists to me.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th September 2020 at 05:20 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:12 AM   #526
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Joke's on you - fascist governments actually got it from us, as is often the case for the Nazis. Forced hysterectomies were very common in the US, used to sterilize black and indigenous, as well as disabled, women in order to destroy the listed groups - see Fannie Lou Hamer for one more famous example. This was partly upheld in the the Buck vs. Bell Supreme Court decision of 1927.

What America Taught the Nazis in the 1930s (Atlantic, Nov. 15, 2017)
How American Racism Influenced Hitler (New Yorker, April 30, 2018)
How the Nazis Were Inspired by Jim Crow (History, May 20, 2019)
Hitler’s American Model: The United States and the Making of Nazi Race Laws (Princeton, Feb. 21, 2017)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:25 AM   #527
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It will be telling whether the Trump Administration is going to investigate this or cover it up.
If they do the latter, then yeah, they are clearly Fascists.
You know the routine - has the head of the service or acting-head praised Trump recently?
Old 16th September 2020, 09:28 AM   #528
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
A National Guard Twitch Streamer Said '6 Million Wasn't Enough' on Stream
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...ough-on-stream

Military recruiter talking to middle schoolers on video game streaming service reads off user name that is antisemitic meme that the Holocaust didn't kill enough Jews.

Just a normal day in a healthy country where military recruiters are chatting with 12 year olds and accidentally peddling Holocaust jokes. If you ask me, I prefer that children being targeted for military recruitment not hear such foul things.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th September 2020 at 09:30 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 09:33 AM   #529
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...ough-on-stream

Military recruiter talking to middle schoolers on video game streaming service reads off user name that is antisemitic meme that the Holocaust didn't kill enough Jews.

Just a normal day in a healthy country where military recruiters are chatting with 12 year olds and accidentally peddling Holocaust jokes. If you ask me, I prefer that children being targeted for military recruitment not hear such foul things.
What in the hell is a "military recruiter" doing talking to middle schoolers?
Old 16th September 2020, 09:34 AM   #530
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Democrats are ok with it.

Quote:
Democrats slam AOC’s ‘insulting’ proposal to ban military recruitment on gaming sites

The New Yorker’s proposed restrictions lost in a 292-126 vote, with 103 House Democrats joining all Republicans in opposition.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/democr...g-recruitment/

Don't forget to vote in November!
Old 16th September 2020, 09:40 AM   #531
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"It's not what you think!" exclaimed the sergeant, "we're just soliciting them for sex!"
Old 16th September 2020, 09:50 AM   #532
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

What's your favorite war crime?

The US Military Is Using Online Gaming to Recruit Teens

Quote:
"Have a nice time getting banned, my dude,” Army recruiter and gamer Joshua “Strotnium” David told me right before he booted me from the US Army’s Twitch channel. I had just reminded viewers of the United States’ history of atrocities and helpfully provided a link to the Wikipedia page for US war crimes.
https://www.thenation.com/article/cu...itment-twitch/

Interesting article about the subject, by Jordan Uhl, an activist that has been leading a spam campaign against these ghouls by asking about war crimes and other unsavory aspects of military service in the stream live chats.

Quote:
Twitch’s advertising pitch boasts that it can reach 80 percent of teen males in the United States. The minimum age requirement for Twitch is 13.
neato.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th September 2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:09 AM   #533
Armitage72
Illuminator

The people who make the rules probably don't consider that children will be there. I remember my father (born in 1940) complaining about my nieces and nephew learning to use computers in school. "They don't need that until they're in college." Kids that age should be outside, playing with sticks and hula hoops.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:03 AM   #534
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember my father (born in 1940) complaining about my nieces and nephew learning to use computers in school. "They don't need that until they're in college." Kids that age should be outside, playing with sticks and hula hoops.
Times change, for better or worse.
Old 17th September 2020, 05:13 AM   #535
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The people who make the rules probably don't consider that children will be there. I remember my father (born in 1940) complaining about my nieces and nephew learning to use computers in school. "They don't need that until they're in college." Kids that age should be outside, playing with sticks and hula hoops.
Perhaps that's true for the geezers in Congress who are tech illiterate, but the people actually running these recruiting efforts absolutely understand that they are talking to young teenagers. The entire appeal of twitch is that it has a very young user base.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:19 AM   #536
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Doctor performing sterilizations on imprisoned immigrants has been named. Has prior history of defrauding the gov with false claims.

Quote:
It is unclear if Amin is financially benefiting from the procedures. The gynecologist was once a co-defendant in a lawsuit in which he and other doctors were ordered to pay more than half a million dollars to resolve allegations that they caused false claims to be submitted to Medicare and Medicaid. The nature of the doctor’s current agreement with ICE and ICDC is also unclear. ICE did not respond to Prism’s request for comment regarding the doctor, and the gynecologist’s receptionist told Prism he is not commenting to the media at this time.
https://www.prismreports.org/article...een-identified
Old 18th September 2020, 08:51 PM   #537
Mumbles
Philosopher

Perhaps that's true for the geezers in Congress who are tech illiterate, but the people actually running these recruiting efforts absolutely understand that they are talking to young teenagers. The entire appeal of twitch is that it has a very young user base.
Absolutely. Yet another recruiting effort that, realistically, should be cut off permanently (along with "appreciation days" at sporting events, and ideally the insertion of pro-military themes into blockbuster movies).
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 10:27 AM   #538
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oh so that's where all the toothbrush and basic sanitation money went. They blew it on hysterectomies. Yeah perfectly normal behavior for a non-fascist functioning democracy.
Well to be fair it was america who inspired a lot of the nazi policy in those regards. Forced sterilization of minorities is far more american than apple pie, which is British after all.

Shocked Americans Never Thought They’d See Forced Sterilization Of Minorities Happen Here Again And Again And Again

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 21st September 2020 at 10:34 AM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 11:43 AM   #539
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well to be fair it was america who inspired a lot of the nazi policy in those regards. Forced sterilization of minorities is far more american than apple pie, which is British after all.

Shocked Americans Never Thought They’d See Forced Sterilization Of Minorities Happen Here Again And Again And Again
Thats disgusting
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 07:43 PM   #540
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump regurgitated his "superior genes" theory again, so check on the eugenics.
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:14 AM   #541
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Alone among nations, US moves to restore UN Iran sanctions

Quote:
APNews Craft, the U.N. ambassador who has seen her counterparts one-by-one adamantly reject the administration’s position, said the U.S. would not back down in the face of global opposition. “What makes America unique is that we stand up for what is right,” she said. “As we have in the past, we will stand alone to protect peace and security at all times. We don’t need a cheering section to validate our moral compass.
Advocacy for highly questionable security measures which few support, in breach of treaties, officially owing to an earlier false claim of noncompliance, along with outright lies about the monies returned, not "paid". An unpopular position which, in due absolutist fashion, must give way to a uniqueness claim to give it the heft only pixie dust can when reason fails (why not go for "divine" and skip the false humility), and outright dismissal of all other opinion, closing all dialog. At the UN. While pushing others to implement US, not international, law.

Because dollar. Because guns. "Because you owe me."

Brown-shirted fascist party, government, and supporters.
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:16 AM   #542
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
Alone among nations, US moves to restore UN Iran sanctions
Has Trump gotten that Nobel peace prize yet?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 07:44 AM   #543
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Thats disgusting
As far as I can tell, it's what you've been advocating during this entire election cycle.
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:37 AM   #544
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
As far as I can tell, it's what you've been advocating during this entire election cycle.
Maybe he meant the onion article making fun of these great policies?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:42 PM   #545
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Thats disgusting
These are your people. It may not be what you wanted, but it's what you have supported.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:41 PM   #546
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Well, have now been contacted by an American seeking to emigrate out of a failed state. This adds to other expat voices in Europe confirming similar personal experiences. Democracy is dying in the US because it is dead in the hearts and minds of a majority of White men, as they see it as the enemy of White power.

Not to say Europe isn't in tremendous danger, especially now that Americans have normalized virulent hate speech in international discourse, scoffed at law, and murdered with impunity. This is similar, though far worse, than the normalization of extremist Islam in the Middle East that led to so much, only now waning temporarily due to the military governments erected to halt the advance.

Bully pulpit to peanut gallery, fastest way to get chimps to trash the world. Yes, I am calling Trump supporters chimps. Feces-tossing chimps, in terms of practical, working intellect.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 22nd September 2020 at 08:43 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:05 AM   #547
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

From a man who does not believe in coincidences:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:13 AM   #548
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Well, have now been contacted by an American seeking to emigrate out of a failed state. This adds to other expat voices in Europe confirming similar personal experiences. Democracy is dying in the US because it is dead in the hearts and minds of a majority of White men, as they see it as the enemy of White power.

Not to say Europe isn't in tremendous danger, especially now that Americans have normalized virulent hate speech in international discourse, scoffed at law, and murdered with impunity. This is similar, though far worse, than the normalization of extremist Islam in the Middle East that led to so much, only now waning temporarily due to the military governments erected to halt the advance.

Bully pulpit to peanut gallery, fastest way to get chimps to trash the world. Yes, I am calling Trump supporters chimps. Feces-tossing chimps, in terms of practical, working intellect.
It may have the potential to be as bad as Militant Islam, but it's only far worse because of OMB. America has an issue right now in it's infancy with anarchist agitators as well, boogallos and antifa both.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:32 AM   #549
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Morning Joe, hosted by two former Republicans, goes full-on calling out creeping authoritarianism and, by name, fascism.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:48 AM   #550
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It may have the potential to be as bad as Militant Islam, but it's only far worse because of OMB. America has an issue right now in it's infancy with anarchist agitators as well, boogallos and antifa both.
I doubt you're referring to the Office of Management and Budget. Maybe I need another coffee.

To put things in perspective...
Quote:
White supremacists present the gravest terror threat to the United States, according to a draft report from the Department of Homeland Security.

Two later draft versions of the same document — all of which were reviewed by POLITICO — describe the threat from white supremacists in slightly different language. But all three drafts describe the threat from white supremacists as the deadliest domestic terror threat facing the U.S., listed above the immediate danger from foreign terrorist groups.
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:49 AM   #551
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I doubt you're referring to the Office of Management and Budget. Maybe I need another coffee.

To put things in perspective...
those and the ones who react to their agitation.
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:53 AM   #552
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Same Anger, Different Ideologies: Radical Muslim and Neo-Nazi

OMB? Office of Management and Budget? Not sure what you mean. (ETA: Cross-post with varwoche and response)

Whereas I can somewhat perceive there is trouble with a handful of left-wing extremists, according to FBI statistics, there is a substantial difference between the two. When referring to DVEs (link to a 2020 report), the FBI's summary doesn't even mention antifa, or what might inspire it, by name. It does name racism and anti-Semitism.

Quote:
Domestic violent extremists pose a steady and evolving threat of violence and economic harm to the United States. Trends may shift, but the underlying drivers for domestic violent extremism—which includes socio-political conditions, racism, and anti-Semitism, just to name a few—remain constant. As stated above, the FBI is most concerned about lone offender attacks; primarily shootings, as they have served as the dominant lethal mode for domestic violent extremist attacks. More deaths were caused by domestic violent extremists than international terrorists in recent years. In fact, 2019 was the deadliest year for domestic violent extremism since the Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995; a tragic note on the state of domestic terrorism as we look back and remember the victims and their families approaching the 25th anniversary of that horrific attack.
As for a report on 2019, we have:
Quote:
In recent years, the FBI has redoubled its efforts to combat domestic terrorism. Last spring, the bureau created an internal investigative body made up of subject matter experts from its criminal investigations and counterterrorism divisions. The bureau’s more than 200 joint terrorism task forces around the country “have domestic terrorism squarely in their sights,” Wray said. In addition, Wray said he has "elevated" racially motivated violent extremism as a national priority on a par with Islamic State during fiscal 2020. The FBI investigates four categories of domestic violent extremism: racially and ethnically motivated violent extremism; anarchism and anti-government extremism; abortion violent extremism; and environmental extremism. Racially and ethnically motivated extremists remain the top threat, Wray said. “[They] were the primary source of ideologically motivated lethal incidents and violence in 2018 and 2019, and have been considered the most lethal of all domestic extremists since 2001,” Wray said.
There is no symmetry in the threat from left and right extremism in the US; it is from the right that most comes, and in the worst forms. Noticeable, too, is the juxtaposition of right-wing extremists and Islamic terror in the discourse, not for no reason (Boogaloo Bois - Hamas).

My main complaint with the radical left, such that it is, is that some few resort to petty violence that undermines nearly everything they attempt to accomplish, and the antifa types will often misappropriate #BLM for their own agendas. Stupid and wrong.

Let us also recall the warmth between Hitler and Islamic extremists.

2015 NYT article on point. In both cases, radicalization includes the normalization of hate speech and violence. In 2020, I give you Donald Trump (prior post).

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 23rd September 2020 at 05:55 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 06:18 AM   #553
Armitage72
Illuminator

A book I'm currently reading mentioned that one of the goals of the ultra-nationalist Organisation Consul in Weimar Germany was to target left-wing groups with violence in order to provoke a violent response, which would then be used as an excuse to seize power as the "uprising" was put down.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 06:18 AM   #554
Mumbles
Philosopher

Antifa by no means requires one be an anarchist, merely to be actively working against fascists. (Also, most so-called "anarchists" one sees acting a fool in protests are young punks that like breaking windows and starting trash fires, but have little more than anger management issues as far as politics go)

The Boogaloo Boys, meanwhile, are white supremacists and white nationalists - and frankly, anarchism is anathema to racial supremacists, as they *require* rigid political controls to be even temporarily functional. Furthermore, their quixotic aim of civil war requires outright armies, which again can only function via heavyhanded hierarchies of authority and command. Again, in the real world these guys are just the same semi-organized far right muppets that murder protestors and cops alike that have been allowed to run wild for decades, except they're stealing from hip hop culture this time instead of older black culture.

Last edited by Mumbles; 23rd September 2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:07 AM   #555
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

those and the ones who react to their agitation.
No sense of proportion, both sides bad, polly want a cracker, etc.
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:09 AM   #556
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
These are your people. It may not be what you wanted, but it's what you have supported.
"Hey, I just opened the door to the leopard enclosure, I didn't expect them to eat those kids' faces!"
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:12 AM   #557
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Oregon Marching Band. Well-known agitators.
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:22 AM   #558
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
"Hey, I just opened the door to the leopard enclosure, I didn't expect them to eat those kids' faces!"
The problem what to do you do when they start to see a few faces on their side being acceptable losses as long as the leopards eat the faces of the enemy.

We are dealing with a base that will sink the entire ship just to drown the people in steerage, even knowing there's not enough lifeboats to save them all.

These people will, very literally, kill themselves to get back at the 'Libs.
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:22 PM   #559
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I suppose your sources also told you the CDC recently divulged that a mere 6% of the so called covid deaths were without any co-morbidities.
God bless America, we have one of these idiot denialists on a forum with "skeptics" in its name!
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:42 PM   #560
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

In before some #Cult45 informs us that "actually, the US is a republic not a democracy."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics