ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 3rd August 2020, 07:56 PM   #721
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"Donny Two-Weeks."
Old 5th August 2020, 07:05 AM   #722
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oooooooh....you got me! Well done. That's a truly prestigian nitpick. Score one for you. No, let's give you two : thumbsup :: thumbsup :!
I'm serious. Partisan bickering aside, language interests me, especially neologisms. If you've got "Trumpian" as an adverb, that's great. I'd like to see it in action.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 10:40 AM   #723
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump may be the Commander in Chief but he's also the Chief Petty Officer.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 12:51 PM   #724
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Good joke, but insulting to petty officers.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 02:12 PM   #725
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Good joke, but insulting to petty officers.
Commander in Chief is insulting to past Commanders in Chief and Commanders.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 02:32 PM   #726
Chanakya

Call him a monkey, and you'll be insulting monkeys. Chump's impervious to nicknames, because he's so unbelievably, impossibly gross in every way he's in a class all his own.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 04:16 PM   #727
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Call him a monkey, and you'll be insulting monkeys. Chump's impervious to nicknames, because he's so unbelievably, impossibly gross in every way he's in a class all his own.
Old 9th August 2020, 09:26 PM   #728
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Chief Officer Petty?

Cromagnon in Chief?

Conman Durr in Chief?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 06:59 AM   #729
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Chief Petty Officious.
Old 10th August 2020, 07:14 AM   #730
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Chief Officer Petty?

Cromagnon in Chief?

Conman Durr in Chief?
That last one is trying a little too hard.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Chief Petty Officious.
I feel like Trump is kinda the opposite of officious.
Old 10th August 2020, 07:52 AM   #731
Chanakya

Credit where it's due. Chump may not have any talents other than fleecing people (of money, of votes, of general support despite abysmal performance on the job, whatever), but if there's one thing he's good at it's coining (or latching on to, as the case may be) these sneering names for those he wants to sneer at. And he's good at pulling it off, too, no matter how infantile the exercise (or perhaps BECAUSE the exercise is so infantile, and therefore so in synch with Chump's general aspect, and of so many of his blind supporters).

Credit where it's due, Chump's good, not just good but great, at name-calling. I guess that's the whole point of this thread.

(And the beauty of Trump's -- probably instinctive, as opposed to deliberate, thought-out) strategy is that you cannot really return the compliment, even if you do manage to think up snappy compliments, without lowering yourself to his level. Can't wrestle with a pig wallowing in filth without getting yourself filthy. No matter who wins it's still a win for the filth-wallower. Nietzsche's abyss, except gutter more like.

Democracy. Like they say it sucks, except it's the best we've got. Not that that's much consolation when you see everything going to hell all around you, not much comfort when you realize this ****'s actually changing your world for the worse in ways that may well, after a point, be irreversible.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 08:32 AM   #732
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly I don't think he's that good at name-calling. As this thread has amply demonstrated, good nicknames are hard. Most of Trump's attempts seem pretty low effort. I think he succeeds more by wide exposure and dogged repetition, rather than any real wit.

And even then, they only really get used by Trump himself. Same thing here, by the way. All the nicknames proposed in this thread, but have any of the proponents actually started using one of their proposals? Even just for a week or two, to see how it works?

There are a couple members here who consistently use one nickname all the time. "Dolt 45" is way more witty than anything Trump has come up with, but it still only has any traction with one person here. Even after years of consistent repetition.
Old 10th August 2020, 08:43 AM   #733
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How about just "Orange Man Bad"?
Old 10th August 2020, 09:13 AM   #734
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Credit where it's due. Chump may not have any talents other than fleecing people (of money, of votes, of general support despite abysmal performance on the job, whatever), but if there's one thing he's good at it's coining (or latching on to, as the case may be) these sneering names for those he wants to sneer at. And he's good at pulling it off, too, no matter how infantile the exercise (or perhaps BECAUSE the exercise is so infantile, and therefore so in synch with Chump's general aspect, and of so many of his blind supporters).

Credit where it's due, Chump's good, not just good but great, at name-calling.

About as good as the average primary school bully.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 09:38 AM   #735
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How about just "Orange Man Bad"?
Ninja'd over a year and a half ago (with a cameo by the dear departed foolmewunz, RIP):

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post12594531

Interestingly, a search of the thread for the word "orange" shows that there was some early enthusiasm for "Agent Orange", but even the people that say they liked it and voted for it don't seem to have bothered using it with any regularity.

Which brings me back around to the idea that Trump isn't very good at nicknames, but he is good at just repeating them until they stick. Have any of the nicknames proposed in this thread actually stuck, even with their proponents?
Old 10th August 2020, 09:39 AM   #736
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Indeed. Putting the "bully" in "bully pulpit".
Old 10th August 2020, 10:45 AM   #737
Chanakya

Honestly I don't think he's that good at name-calling. As this thread has amply demonstrated, good nicknames are hard. Most of Trump's attempts seem pretty low effort. I think he succeeds more by wide exposure and dogged repetition, rather than any real wit.

And even then, they only really get used by Trump himself. Same thing here, by the way. All the nicknames proposed in this thread, but have any of the proponents actually started using one of their proposals? Even just for a week or two, to see how it works?

There are a couple members here who consistently use one nickname all the time. "Dolt 45" is way more witty than anything Trump has come up with, but it still only has any traction with one person here. Even after years of consistent repetition.

I find I've taken to refering to him as Chump. Which is pathetic, really, at a number of levels.

When people who're generally apolitical find themselves doing that kind of thing, that's generally a sad commentary, both on them personally and, more importantly, on the state of the polity. (Always assuming said "people" aren't unhinged, of course.)

Besides, who cares what I personally do, right? But thing is, if people whose adopting that (or other similar) name for Chump might perhaps make a difference, or at least make a larger ripple, were to do it, why that'd be pathetic too, the Nietzche thing I mean. We're all doomed to pettiness. And the virus. And everything else.

Unless of course, just perhaps, we aren't. But even if we aren't, even then, can the contamination of this .... this pettiness, this grossness, really rub off for good?

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

The school bully was pretty effective in school.

School was actually a time I look back to with fondness. Some don't, but I do. But thing is, having the world, or at least the polity, devolve back to what school was, back to the worst portion of what school used to be, is what's ... not nice.

Something worse than the virus is seemingly overrunning not just the country but the world. Something petty, puny, small, yet at the same time inexorable.

Okay, I'm probably getting carried away. Overdramatizing a small thing. Except maybe I'm not. Politics is so ******* depressing. I'm out of here.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:53 AM   #738
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've never taken this thread seriously and I doubt almost anyone has. I find Trump's public name calling childish and pathetic and says far more about him than those he attempts to insult. Sure, it's childish of us to do it, too. But we're not the President of the United
States and we're anonymous posters on an obscure website. Big difference.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:10 AM   #739
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I've never taken this thread seriously and I doubt almost anyone has. I find Trump's public name calling childish and pathetic and says far more about him than those he attempts to insult. Sure, it's childish of us to do it, too. But we're not the President of the United
States and we're anonymous posters on an obscure website. Big difference.
The only real difference is scope. Your name-calling won't catch on out there, but it could catch on here. If you push it here. You could make a real difference in how this community refers to Donald Trump.
Old 11th August 2020, 10:00 AM   #740
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The only real difference is scope. Your name-calling won't catch on out there, but it could catch on here. If you push it here. You could make a real difference in how this community refers to Donald Trump.
I think you're just juicing the piglet at this point.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:02 AM   #741
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

"The Orange Juiced Piglet"
Old 11th August 2020, 10:36 AM   #742
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
"The Orange Juiced Piglet"
Now I'm offended on behalf of all piglets. They are adorable, and they grow up to be pigs which, while gross, are intelligent animals partly made of bacon.
Old 11th August 2020, 12:30 PM   #743
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think you're just juicing the piglet at this point.
I agree with that.
Old 29th August 2020, 05:36 AM   #744
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

President Munchausen.

ETA
It works on two levels. It is a word I coined in the 18th Century to originally mean a person who was known for his wildly unbelievable exaggerations and boasts; but then, at the request of the medical community, I added a newer meaning in the 20th Century: having a desire for attention which becomes so strong as to be a mental disorder (its roots primarily based on severe emotional difficulties).
(I also invented the semicolon).

or
President MeMeMeMeMe

Last edited by Ladewig; 29th August 2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Clarification. Spelling
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2020, 08:39 AM   #745
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
President Munchausen.

ETA
It works on two levels. It is a word I coined in the 18th Century to originally mean a person who was known for his wildly unbelievable exaggerations and boasts; but then, at the request of the medical community, I added a newer meaning in the 20th Century: having a desire for attention which becomes so strong as to be a mental disorder (its roots primarily based on severe emotional difficulties).
(I also invented the semicolon).

or
President MeMeMeMeMe
Even "President Meme" works.
Old 29th August 2020, 12:12 PM   #746
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's a homemade sign along the road near my house that says "RUMP/PUTIN 2020". Works for me.
Old 29th August 2020, 01:44 PM   #747
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

There's a homemade sign along the road near my house that says "RUMP/PUTIN 2020". Works for me.
"PUTIN RUMP" would have been a lot funnier...

(I don't know if the quote had a typo -- if not, it still makes sense.)

Last edited by alfaniner; 29th August 2020 at 01:45 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2020, 04:21 PM   #748
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"PUTIN RUMP" would have been a lot funnier...

(I don't know if the quote had a typo -- if not, it still makes sense.)
Nope, no typo, although perhaps I should have typed it as
RUMP
PUTIN
Old 29th August 2020, 05:00 PM   #749
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, no typo, although perhaps I should have typed it as
RUMP
PUTIN
That format is much better.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:40 AM   #750
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"Great"? Too advanced for Trump.
Big pretender.
Yuge pretender.
Strong pretender.
Best pretender.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:52 PM   #751
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m guessing “Mr. Know-It-All” has already been placed in the thread.
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:06 PM   #752
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Better hurry. Only about 60 days left to come up with something that matters.
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:20 PM   #753
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No nickname matters. Never has. "Trump" is bad enough. I feel rather sorry for Mary Trump being saddled with that name. If I were her, I'd change it just like Hitler's nephew, the son of Adolph's half-brother Willy Hitler who emigrated to the US, did. Hitler's great-nephew Alexander Stuart-Houston was interviewed by Bild magazine:

Quote:
But although he and his brothers are all staunch Republicans, Alexander said he doesn’t care for the current president.

“The last person I would say I admire is Donald Trump. He is definitely not one of my favorites,” he told the newspaper.

“Some things that Trump says are all right. Most of them are …,” he added, trailing off, when asked what he doesn’t like about Trump. “It’s the way he does it that annoys me. And I just don’t like liars.”
https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/some-o...n-long-island/
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:35 PM   #754
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

I liked the person who said Trumple Thin Skin

As for some nicknames I think would be good:

- President Clueless
- President Big Mistake
- President KK Trump
- President Pants on Fire
- President Flaming Bag of Dog Trump
- President Don't know, Don't care Donnie
- President Walking Disaster
- President Super Villain
- President Constant Failure
- President Let Down
- President Babushka Candidate
- President American Massacre
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:54 PM   #755
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

scum
Old 4th September 2020, 01:25 PM   #756
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
scum
I believe you'll find that in the Thesaurus as a synonym for 'Trump'.
Old 4th September 2020, 02:08 PM   #757
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I believe you'll find that in the Thesaurus as a synonym for 'Trump'.
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

- Urban Dictionary, probably
Old 4th September 2020, 11:31 PM   #758
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Wonder if you adhere to this line of thought. You put a lot of "faith" in the marmalade manchild over the last few years.
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #759
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

After the debate last night, I saw someone refer to him as "Been-a-dick Donald". I thought it was a clever alternative to one that's been thrown around before.
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #760
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At least he's no longer a dick.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics