ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , john bolton , lawsuits

Old 17th June 2020, 02:38 PM   #81
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
For his base, I agree. For independents, they'll matter. For reluctant 2016 Trump voters, they'll matter.
The thing is, those voters probably would have abandoned trump already over the Ukraine scandal/impeachment. Bolton saying "trump tried to get China to help his re-election" is just more of the same.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 02:43 PM   #82
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC, Bolton did offer to appear before the Senate but the GOP Senators (except Collins? Murkowsky? and Romney) voted down having 'new' testimony presented.

Of course, Bolton may have known/suspected that would happen so offering to appear could have been a calculated risk on his part to look good.
Bolton had the opportunity to appear before the house. They even sent him a request to appear. But he did not.

So his whole offer to appear in the Senate can be seen as an empty offer.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 03:30 PM   #83
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
His mustache makes him look like one of those little dogs that look like they have that same mustache.
Schnauzers???
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:05 PM   #84
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
500 clams for a bootleg copy? Ooooaw! How I'd love to purchase one or two friends in that warehouse!

Just one pallet. Just one.

After suborning a few hundred reporters, I could finish with a good shower. I think I'd need one.
And to no one's surprise stuff from the book has leaked to the press.
(of course the leak is deliberate;it will seel even more copies of the book, though the book was already a instant best seller).
The big bombshell so far is that Trump approached China's President before the lection to try ot get his help to get Trump elected. This makes Donnie out to be a whore who would sell out to any foreign leader to get elected.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:08 PM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Though it I were a DA, I would be very reluctinat to put Bolton on the witness stand...

But still, the comparasion fo rme is.
DOnald Trump = John Gotti
John Bolton = Sonny "The Bull" Gravino.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:17 PM   #86
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
So far, the few details that have trickled out will not prove that damning for Trump.

He asked China to purchase American farm products to help American farmers. That this was driven by his desire to win re-election will not matter to most.
Except that this pretty much blows a hole in one of Trump's big anti-Biden claims that he was going to rely on for the election. Trump has been pushing the lie that Biden loves China and China would love to take advantage of Biden to defeat the US. But right here:

Bolton has made some absolutely jaw dropping allegations in his book.

1. Trump tried to get Xi to help him win re-election.
2. Obstruction of justice is a 'way of life' for Trump.
3. Trump knew of, and approved of, Xi setting up concentration camps for the Muslim
Uyghers.
4. Xi told Trump he wanted to work with him for another six years and that the two term
limit was wrong. Trump nodded in agreement.

...we see who China really loves. Xi literally said he wants Trump for 6 more years, and screw the Constitution, maybe even more.

Blowing up the narrative that Trump has been building since March is going to piss him off so much.
Old 17th June 2020, 04:32 PM   #87
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wolf Blitzer should showed off his advance copy on live TV, making the point that the book is already out. He and Thomas Friedman both got reporter copies.
Old 17th June 2020, 04:56 PM   #88
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Except that this pretty much blows a hole in one of Trump's big anti-Biden claims that he was going to rely on for the election. Trump has been pushing the lie that Biden loves China and China would love to take advantage of Biden to defeat the US. But right here:

...we see who China really loves. Xi literally said he wants Trump for 6 more years, and screw the Constitution, maybe even more.

Blowing up the narrative that Trump has been building since March is going to piss him off so much.
Not just Trump. The Republican Senatorial Committee has been running non-stop McSally ads in Arizona about Biden, Mark Kelly, and both, trying to make the same case.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:57 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump must be blowing his orange dyed comb over about this. How I would love to see it.

Bolton said he thinks Putin knows he can play Trump like a fiddle, that he doesn't see Trump as a serious adversary and he's not worried about Donald Trump.

Well, no ****! Anyone can play Trump like a fiddle. All you have go do is praise him and tell him how smart he is.

ETA: Bolton also claims Pompeo said Trump is "full of ****". Tillerson said Trump was a "******* moron". Poor Trump cain't git no lovin' from his Secretaries of State.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 17th June 2020 at 05:00 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:00 PM   #90
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think it's a bit different than that. I think Bolton is a "true patriot". I put that in quotes because what I mean by that is that I think Bolton sincerely believes that the his own (i.e. Bolton's) policies are the best for America. I think he took the job so that he could push that pro-American agenda. He thought Trump was someone who needed some guidance, and he (Bolton) was the right man for the job, and that he could push his agenda if he had the president's ear.

What he actually saw in Trump once he was up close was someone who talked about Make America Great Again, but when it came to actions, it was all about Trump. Trump wouldn't push Bolton's version of pro-American policies. He saw a childish and half sane person, and he believed that Trump was genuinely dangerous to America. I think he wrote the book to expose Trump and to try to convince people that Trump is dangerous and ought to be thrown out. (Well, he probably also wanted to make some money, but doesn't everyone?)

So, it isn't so much justice or revenge. It's doing what Bolton thinks is best for America.

Maybe that gives Bolton more credit than he deserves, but that's the way I see it.
I fully agree. Bolton’s ideology is very different from mine, but it appears he was always sincere about it and viewed himself as a patriot.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:03 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

High ranking Dems are angry that Bolton didn't appear as a witness at the impeachment hearings and said "He's no patriot".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:07 PM   #92
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

High ranking Dems are angry that Bolton didn't appear as a witness at the impeachment hearings and said "He's no patriot".
I believe he views himself as a patriot. How I and others view him may differ from that.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:12 PM   #93
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

He asked if Finland is part of Russia ... in front of Theresa May.

<laughing dogs>
Old 17th June 2020, 06:03 PM   #94
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

<laughing dogs>
It was part of the Russian Empire for a bit. Not that Trump would know that. Trump probably couldn't find it on a map.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:05 PM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

<laughing dogs>
Well, FInland was part of Russia..until 1918.
TRump is the most incredibly ignorant man every to hold the office of Presidency.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:09 PM   #96
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It was part of the Russian Empire for a bit. Not that Trump would know that. Trump probably couldn't find it on a map.
From 1809 to 1918 to be exact.
And, yeah, Trump could not find FInland on a map.
He is the worst kind of ignoramous:not only does he not know, he sees no reason why he should.
Probably paid no attention to Finland until he saw last year they elected a pretty young women as PM...

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th June 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:10 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
TRump is the most incredibly ignorant man every to hold the office of Presidency.
If memory serves me correctly, it was around a hundred years or so. Not all that long.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:15 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Can't wait for our Finnish member to chime in on this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:17 PM   #99
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Can't wait for our Finnish member to chime in on this.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:54 PM   #100
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

<laughing dogs>
Not forgetting that Pompeo had to be shown where Ukraine was.... by a journalist!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 07:20 PM   #101
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

3. Trump knew of, and approved of, Xi setting up concentration camps for the Muslim
Uyghers.
4. Xi told Trump he wanted to work with him for another six years and that the two term
My jaw didn't drop.

And I don't mean just because it's Trump. What I mean is that there's nothing there that will prevent him from getting re-elected.

Trump does a whole lot of things that really get me ticked off. None of those four would make the list.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 07:24 PM   #102
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump couldn't find his own face in a mirror.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 08:37 PM   #103
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
From 1809 to 1918 to be exact.
1917. That's when the window of opportunity opened.

We're used to not getting found on a map, so that isn't such a big deal. Selling out to every totalitarian leader you can find, on the other hand...
Old 17th June 2020, 08:56 PM   #104
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
What he actually saw in Trump once he was up close was someone who talked about Make America Great Again, but when it came to actions, it was all about Trump. Trump wouldn't push Bolton's version of pro-American policies. He saw a childish and half sane person, and he believed that Trump was genuinely dangerous to America. I think he wrote the book to expose Trump and to try to convince people that Trump is dangerous and ought to be thrown out.
Yeah, why didn't someone impeach him so Bolton could ride in on a white horse, give his testimony and save America from the man-child?
Old 17th June 2020, 09:45 PM   #105
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The excerpts show without a doubt what an utter piece of **** Bolton is.
Old 17th June 2020, 09:54 PM   #106
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Yeah, why didn't someone impeach him so Bolton could ride in on a white horse, give his testimony and save America from the man-child?
Impeachment seems like so long ago and insignificant to me now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bolton say he was willing to testify at the trial, but the GOP refused to have witnesses? And, during the House investigation, wasn't he bound by presidential decree not to testify? (I can't recall when he was fired, or what the state of executive privilege was for him at that period.)
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 09:55 PM   #107
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The excerpts show without a doubt what an utter piece of **** Bolton is.
The main character flaw of people who work in the Trump administration is that they are the sort of people who would work in the Trump administration
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 10:05 PM   #108
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Uyghers.
These are good things, less you be apart of the echo chamber that point out how insipidly moronic he is.
Old 17th June 2020, 10:12 PM   #109
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Impeachment seems like so long ago and insignificant to me now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bolton say he was willing to testify at the trial, but the GOP refused to have witnesses? And, during the House investigation, wasn't he bound by presidential decree not to testify? (I can't recall when he was fired, or what the state of executive privilege was for him at that period.)
AFAIK, Bolton on his own decided not to testify to the House but did offer to testify before the Senate.
So any argument from Executive Privilege is moot - obviously Bolton didn't think it was an issue.

But even if there was, Bolton could have testified in secret, and that testimony could have been used to ask a Grand Jury to get evidence from the White House.
Bolton swore an oath to the Constitution, and he didn't do his job in helping an Impeachment he himself seemed to see as justified.
Old 17th June 2020, 10:41 PM   #110
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Wolf Blitzer should showed off his advance copy on live TV, making the point that the book is already out. He and Thomas Friedman both got reporter copies.

So did Stephen Colbert.
ETA: Ninja'd by The Don.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 17th June 2020 at 10:45 PM.
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 10:55 PM   #111
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
“He is a liar,” Trump told The Wall Street Journal, adding that “everybody in the White House hated John Bolton.”
Old 17th June 2020, 11:05 PM   #112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump was such a hot crap businessman, would'nt he have guessed this before he hired Bolton?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:19 AM   #113
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Here is a news story about it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/polit...uit/index.html

Basically, Trump says that Bolton's book hasn't been approved by the classification police. The book is reported to be a scathing indictment of the president. The lawsuit is a rather transparent ploy to delay release of the book until after the election.

I didn't think he would do it. It's just so transparent what he's up to, and it's such an extreme violation of freedom of the press. By suing, I think all he will accomplish is drawing a bit more attention to it. All the damage that could be done by it will be done anyway, and the juicy parts will all leak despite Trump's efforts.

Here is where I wish ISF hadn't turned into such an extreme echo chamber. I really would wonder what people who are favorably disposed toward Trump have to say about this. Anyway, it could be fun, so I thought it deserved its own thread to follow new details as they develop.
CNN has a copy.

I do wonder what the opening line is. "Clintons send their regards" perhaps?

McHrozni
Old 18th June 2020, 12:53 AM   #114
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

<laughing dogs>
What's worse than him not knowing the answer to that question is that he didn't know that every world leader everywhere knows the answer to that question and that it's something he should know too. He didn't even realize he was embarrassing himself and his country by asking the question.
Old 18th June 2020, 01:19 AM   #115
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

What's worse than him not knowing the answer to that question is that he didn't know that every world leader everywhere knows the answer to that question and that it's something he should know too. He didn't even realize he was embarrassing himself and his country by asking the question.
I'm honestly surprised that, like he did with Lincoln being a Republican, he didn't claim that hardly anyone knew that Finland is a country.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:34 AM   #116
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm honestly surprised that, like he did with Lincoln being a Republican, he didn't claim that hardly anyone knew that Finland is a country.
Which is funny because a couple of years ago, he said that the Finns go out and rake their forest to prevent forest fires. He's also met the Finnish PM.

Last edited by Craig4; 18th June 2020 at 01:36 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:37 AM   #117
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Which is funny because a couple of years ago, he said that the Finns go out and rake their forest to prevent forest fires. He's also met the Finnish PM.
Maybe that was after President Trump's experts established that Finland was a country.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:37 AM   #118
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Though it I were a DA, I would be very reluctinat to put Bolton on the witness stand...

But still, the comparasion fo rme is.
DOnald Trump = John Gotti
John Bolton = Sonny "The Bull" Gravino.
Well, when you're up against a gutter rat, you may need to enlist the aid of another gutter rat.
Old 18th June 2020, 01:39 AM   #119
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well, when you're up against a gutter rat, you may need to enlist the aid of another gutter rat.
Alternatively, Republicans could just open their eyes and see what's clearly in front of them instead of closing them, shoving their fingers in their ears and singing "La...la....la....la...la...".
Old 18th June 2020, 01:55 AM   #120
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I don’t suppose this would have happened either. I think I have a copy somewhere.
Would that be 'Willie' Rushton (of beard and piano fame). Would I be right to connect this book to Private Eye (it's before my time but it gives me that 'Dear Bill' vibe)?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics