ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , john bolton , lawsuits

Old 18th June 2020, 01:59 AM   #121
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Ah, Willie Rushton, one of the original stalwarts of ISIHAC. I'll never forget how he finished off the well known phrase or saying "Don't get your knickers in …" with "... a car boot sale". Still the single best piece of advice I've ever heard.
Old 18th June 2020, 02:04 AM   #122
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I donít suppose this would have happened either. I think I have a copy somewhere.
I'm a big fan of Willie Rushton and have just bought that - a bargain for 3 quid. I wondee what Cook, Rushton and the rest of the 60s satire boom would have made of Trump?

Last edited by TheSupermeerkat; 18th June 2020 at 02:21 AM.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:12 AM   #123
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I am enjoying that one of the first releases from the book was about Pompaus saying Trump was full of ****. Someone is about to get the Tillerson treatment.
Old 18th June 2020, 04:34 AM   #124
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Best for America would have been to testify during the impeachment trial.
He agreed to do so if he was subpoenaed. The Rep controlled committee never subpoenaed him.

Personally, I think Bolton is a war-mongering cockwomble, but this myth that he declined to testify is utter bollocks.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:00 AM   #125
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Bolton’s world view differs from mine in many ways. And his reluctance to make all this public months ago when it would have carried more weight is highly suspect.

But he never struck me as dishonest.

I sure hope his recollections of conversations are backed up by contemporaneous notes or others “in the room”.

Though to vote Trump supporters, these revelations - if not complete fabrications - just show how smart their guy is.

Question: could not a House committee subpoena him now?

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 18th June 2020 at 05:01 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:02 AM   #126
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The thing is, those voters probably would have abandoned trump already over the Ukraine scandal/impeachment. Bolton saying "trump tried to get China to help his re-election" is just more of the same.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
It will help to address the "China Biden" mantra.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:05 AM   #127
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump must be blowing his orange dyed comb over about this. How I would love to see it.

Bolton said he thinks Putin knows he can play Trump like a fiddle, that he doesn't see Trump as a serious adversary and he's not worried about Donald Trump.

Well, no ****! Anyone can play Trump like a fiddle. All you have go do is praise him and tell him how smart he is.

ETA: Bolton also claims Pompeo said Trump is "full of ****". Tillerson said Trump was a "******* moron". Poor Trump cain't git no lovin' from his Secretaries of State.
Amazing how many of these incompetent idiots got through the Trump interview....
Old 18th June 2020, 05:07 AM   #128
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
He asked if Finland is part of Russia ... in front of Theresa May.

<laughing dogs>
Perhaps Bolton misheard and Trump asked is Finland part of Russia.... Yet.... ?
Old 18th June 2020, 05:22 AM   #129
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
CNN has a copy.

They have information about some of the things in the book on their website now.
  • Trump asked Chinese President Xi Jinping for help in getting reelected
  • Trump had no problem with China's concentration camps
  • Pompeo, famously loyal to the President, may have trash-talked him
  • Trump offered to help Turkey's leader avoid a Justice Department probe
  • The Israeli prime minister didn't understand why Kushner led on Middle East peace
  • The White House decision-making process was like a 'food fight'
  • Trump didn't like sanctions on Russia
  • Trump's revealing questions: Is Finland a part of Russia?
  • Trump told people that Venezuela is 'really part of the US' and wanted to invade
  • Trump wanted Attorney General Bill Barr to make CNN reporters 'serve time in jail'
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:26 AM   #130
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/st...47802026979328

Quote:
Bolton’s staff were asked to testify before the House to Trump’s abuses, and did. They had a lot to lose and showed real courage.

When Bolton was asked, he refused, and said he’d sue if subpoenaed. Instead, he saved it for a book.

Bolton may be an author, but he’s no patriot.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:38 AM   #131
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
  • The Israeli prime minister didn't understand why Kushner led on Middle East peace
This might be a matter of reducing the issue to one sentence, but I seriously doubt this is true. Bibi, himself facing corruption charges, didn't understand why Kushner led?

Just couldn't wrap his brain around that one huh? Two decades in Israeli politics and never understood nepotism?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:45 AM   #132
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Channelling my inner Trump supporter.....

They have information about some of the things in the book on their website now.
  • Trump told people that Venezuela is 'really part of the US' and wanted to invade
  • Trump wanted Attorney General Bill Barr to make CNN reporters 'serve time in jail'
  • President Trump is the greatest President ever but he is constantly under attack from the Deep State and Fake News Media. It's only fair that President Trump uses all means at his disposal to ensure his reelection and Keep America Great
  • The US is not the world's policeman. It's time for other countries to face up to China for the human rights abuses
  • Hearsay from a Deep State operative
  • The US is not the world's policeman. Why is the Justice Department getting involved in Turkey's politics
  • Well perhaps now the Israeli Prime Minister understands, given how successful Jared Kushner has been
  • President Trump, global statesman, was wisely reversing previous administrations' policy of antagonising Russia. President Trump, the consummate businessman knows that the real threats to America are abortion, ANTIFA, atheists and advocates for 2nd amendment repeal, not Russia
  • What he said is that it is in the US sphere of influence (it is) and, strategic genius that he is, he was spitballing some ideas about how to dislodge the communist menace and bring succour to the Venezuelan people.
  • President Trump is to be taken seriously, not literally. He wasn't literally advocating their jailing of execution but on the other hand, the Fake News Media shouldn't be able to get away with spreading lies about the greatest President ever

Being serious though, the only people who would care one iota about any of this are probably already implacably opposed to President Trump. The rest either couldn't care less one way or another (they're too busy just putting food on the table) or actually think that most of, if not all of, these are good things to do.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:53 AM   #133
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I already ordered the book. I hope they aren't giving away all the good parts now.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:54 AM   #134
dmaker
Graduate Poster

It seems to me that the Presidents predictable response to Boltons allegations creates a logic puzzle. How can Boltons allegations be lies while at the same time also be criminal acts that disclose classified information?

If they are lies, then the information is false. Events that never happened cannot be classified.

Last edited by dmaker; 18th June 2020 at 05:56 AM.
dmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:03 AM   #135
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Quote:
The thing is, those voters probably would have abandoned trump already over the Ukraine scandal/impeachment. Bolton saying "trump tried to get China to help his re-election" is just more of the same.
It will help to address the "China Biden" mantra.
Possibly. But we also have plenty of live video with trump praising China... Which in my opinion is much more useful in combating allegations that "Biden will be too nice to China".

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:17 AM   #136
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
John Bolton Plumbs the Depth of Trump’s Depravity
Wow, that exactly the headline you want in the "Atlantic", a well known center-right publication the month before your nominating convention.

Now that I think about it, Bolton should have waited until the week of the convention to publish his book. If the goal is revenge, twisting the knife is far more satisfying.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:04 AM   #137
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

It seems to me that the Presidents predictable response to Boltons allegations creates a logic puzzle. How can Boltons allegations be lies while at the same time also be criminal acts that disclose classified information?
I don't think it is such an interesting logic puzzle. I can easily imagine that a lot of stuff in the book is the sort of embarrasing stuff the Trump administration tried to hide on that top secret server, while at the same time Bolton lies in the book about how involved he was himself.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:54 AM   #138
Mader Levap
Muse

If they are lies, then the information is false. Events that never happened cannot be classified.
In theory, some content could be lies and some other content of the book could be true, yet classified information.

But of course everyone, including any Trump supporter, knows this is BS excuse.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:41 AM   #139
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

May just be me, but I don't think anything here is that big of a revelation, and probably won't make much difference..

Not that I don't think these things are evidence of deep corruption within the Trump administration... just that they seem to be covering things that have already been seen before. Trump supporters were cool with these abuses before, why think they will change now?
Quote:
[*]Trump asked Chinese President Xi Jinping for help in getting reelected
As mentioned before... Trump already tried to get Ukraine to help. Congressional republicans said "That's quite OK".

Now someone mentioned how it might help deflect the "Biden/China" claims by Trump.... But we already have video evidence of Trump praising china. (Not to mention other things, like china granting Ivanka certain traidmarks.)

Quote:
[*]Trump had no problem with China's concentration camps
And republicans had no problem with concentration camps right there in the U.S. (for people trying to cross the border).

Quote:
[*]Pompeo, famously loyal to the President, may have trash-talked him
Again, we've already seen other administration officials criticize Trump. (Most famously Tillerson's "Moron" comment.)

Now, maybe the fact that it's Trump loyalist Pompeo might cause a little dissent within the ranks of the Trump administration (which may be a good thing). But as it stands? It doesn't seem to be a big deal.
Quote:
[*]Trump offered to help Turkey's leader avoid a Justice Department probe
Trump has obstructed justice many times for many people/many reasons. Republicans are perfectly fine with it. (Firing inspector generals, lying to FBI officials, etc.)
Quote:
[*]The Israeli prime minister didn't understand why Kushner led on Middle East peace
Everyone knows Kushner has been given a bunch of tasks that he is unqualified for.... (Middle east peace, Covid-19 response, etc.) Its not really a surprise that other people recognize Kushner was in over his head.
Quote:
[*]The White House decision-making process was like a 'food fight'
We have seen Trump rapidly change his stance over so many topics. We have seen various power struggles before.
Quote:
[*]Trump didn't like sanctions on Russia
Not surprising, since Trump has attempted to reverse various punishments for years now. (Getting Russia back in the G7, failures to comply with various requirements set forward by congress.)
Quote:
[*]Trump's revealing questions: Is Finland a part of Russia?
Trump also apparently did not know that the U.K. was a nuclear power.

(From: BBC

Granted, the fact Trump didn't know Finland was an independent country is new, but its hardly surprising. Trump is a spectacularly ignorant person... you can point to dozens of things (from how 'raking forests prevents fires' to 'injecting bleach cures covid19') that illustrate his ignorance. One more item of ignorance isn't going to make much of a difference.
Quote:
[*]Trump told people that Venezuela is 'really part of the US' and wanted to invade
Trump supporters will claim "since he didn't invade he didn't really want to".

Anti-Trump people can point to other things (his nuclear threats against North Korea, his dismantling of the Iran nuclear deal, his infatuation with military parades) to show that Trump is more than capable of leading the U.S. into another war.
Quote:
[*]Trump wanted Attorney General Bill Barr to make CNN reporters 'serve time in jail'
He has also been calling the media "enemies of the people", posted a video of himself "beating up" a CNN logo, had chants of "lock her up" at his rallies.

That Trump has no respect for free speech, and is willing to use the justice system for political purposes is not a surprise.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:13 AM   #140
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This article goes into a little more depth than so far posted in this thread about some of the allegations in the book, and also lists one that I've not yet seen mentioned - Trump deliberately defended Saudi Arabia over the murder of Khashoggi in order to create headlines to distract from a story about Ivanka using her personal email to conduct official business.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:24 AM   #141
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
May just be me, but I don't think anything here is that big of a revelation, and probably won't make much difference..

Not that I don't think these things are evidence of deep corruption within the Trump administration... just that they seem to be covering things that have already been seen before. Trump supporters were cool with these abuses before, why think they will change now?

As mentioned before... Trump already tried to get Ukraine to help. Congressional republicans said "That's quite OK".

Now someone mentioned how it might help deflect the "Biden/China" claims by Trump.... But we already have video evidence of Trump praising china. (Not to mention other things, like china granting Ivanka certain traidmarks.)

And republicans had no problem with concentration camps right there in the U.S. (for people trying to cross the border).

Again, we've already seen other administration officials criticize Trump. (Most famously Tillerson's "Moron" comment.)

Now, maybe the fact that it's Trump loyalist Pompeo might cause a little dissent within the ranks of the Trump administration (which may be a good thing). But as it stands? It doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Trump has obstructed justice many times for many people/many reasons. Republicans are perfectly fine with it. (Firing inspector generals, lying to FBI officials, etc.)

Everyone knows Kushner has been given a bunch of tasks that he is unqualified for.... (Middle east peace, Covid-19 response, etc.) Its not really a surprise that other people recognize Kushner was in over his head.

We have seen Trump rapidly change his stance over so many topics. We have seen various power struggles before.

Not surprising, since Trump has attempted to reverse various punishments for years now. (Getting Russia back in the G7, failures to comply with various requirements set forward by congress.)

Trump also apparently did not know that the U.K. was a nuclear power.

(From: BBC

Granted, the fact Trump didn't know Finland was an independent country is new, but its hardly surprising. Trump is a spectacularly ignorant person... you can point to dozens of things (from how 'raking forests prevents fires' to 'injecting bleach cures covid19') that illustrate his ignorance. One more item of ignorance isn't going to make much of a difference.

Trump supporters will claim "since he didn't invade he didn't really want to".

Anti-Trump people can point to other things (his nuclear threats against North Korea, his dismantling of the Iran nuclear deal, his infatuation with military parades) to show that Trump is more than capable of leading the U.S. into another war.

He has also been calling the media "enemies of the people", posted a video of himself "beating up" a CNN logo, had chants of "lock her up" at his rallies.

That Trump has no respect for free speech, and is willing to use the justice system for political purposes is not a surprise.
I donít see the book as providing many new revelations so much as additional proof, by a right wing insider of all people, of accusations that have already been circulated.

Will it change the minds of the Trump cultists? Would anything? But having Bolton, previously a darling of the right, testify to these things, especially the profound evil and treachery of Trump, has to have some impact on some of his less fanatic supporters.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:29 AM   #142
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What's worse than him not knowing the answer to that question is that he didn't know that every world leader everywhere knows the answer to that question and that it's something he should know too. He didn't even realize he was embarrassing himself and his country by asking the question.
What do you bet he can assure you with full confidence he knows where Norwegia is?
Old 18th June 2020, 09:32 AM   #143
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Bolton wasn't a Trump Chump all that long - if the 600 pages have more than all the juicy bits leaked, he must have made notes each day about Trump's insanity's.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:33 AM   #144
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
What do you bet he can assure you with full confidence he knows where Norwegia is?
in a Wood?
Old 18th June 2020, 09:44 AM   #145
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I donít see the book as providing many new revelations so much as additional proof, by a right wing insider of all people, of accusations that have already been circulated.
So far, that's what I see as well. I don't see revelations so much as confirmations.

Quote:
Will it change the minds of the Trump cultists? Would anything? But having Bolton, previously a darling of the right, testify to these things, especially the profound evil and treachery of Trump, has to have some impact on some of his less fanatic supporters.
Every little bit helps, but so far I haven't seen anything that would turn waves of voters against Trump. Fortunately, we don't need waves, just enough to tip the electoral college. I don't see anything positive for Trump out of it.

If anything, it gives a chance for Trump to overreact and say or do something stupid, like file a lawsuit attempting to stop publication. That sort of thing might turn people off more than the book will.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:45 AM   #146
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

He's an extreme radical leftist, and always has been.*

*Just channeling my inner right-winger there.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:56 AM   #147
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Bolton wasn't a Trump Chump all that long - if the 600 pages have more than all the juicy bits leaked, he must have made notes each day about Trump's insanity's.
By not speaking up at the time, and by waiting for a book deal to actually come forth, he's at least a Trump Chump by association IMO.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:10 AM   #148
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Glenn greenwald is doing his thing...

Quote:
We also discussed at the end of the interview the media's sudden treatment of John Bolton as an Oracle of Truth and a credible, brave, crusading, truth-telling whistleblower:
I don't really recall the media or the left calling him a liar in the past. The objection was always to what he thought was true was offensive?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:27 AM   #149
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The one that surprised me was that he was unaware that the UK had nukes.

One would think the POTUS ought to know such things. Everybody else does.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:29 AM   #150
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, Bolton was an obsessive note taker, so....

Old 18th June 2020, 10:35 AM   #151
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Glenn greenwald is doing his thing...

I don't really recall the media or the left calling him a liar in the past. The objection was always to what he thought was true was offensive?
Greenwald is a toad.
I will gladly call him out for the liar that he is.
He certainly isn't a journalist.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:48 AM   #152
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump threatens a lot of suits, how often does he actually follow through?
Old 18th June 2020, 10:50 AM   #153
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump threatens a lot of suits, how often does he actually follow through?
too often.

Since either the DOJ or Trump Campaign are picking up the tap, suing someone doesn't cost him anything.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:59 AM   #154
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

too often.

Since either the DOJ or Trump Campaign are picking up the tap, suing someone doesn't cost him anything.
I think he mostly Sue's people who can't afford extended litigation and will be forced to settle. That won't work in this case.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:00 AM   #155
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think he mostly Sue's people who can't afford extended litigation and will be forced to settle. That won't work in this case.
"Sue's". Damn autocorrect.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:09 AM   #156
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Popehat talked about this on his podcast today. The TL/DR version is that there is almost no chance of winning this lawsuit, but that it's likely intended to deter people who may in the future want to write a tell-all book.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:16 AM   #157
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Popehat talked about this on his podcast today. The TL/DR version is that there is almost no chance of winning this lawsuit, but that it's likely intended to deter people who may in the future want to write a tell-all book.
The closer the election gets, the less time Trump has to waste on litigation.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:46 AM   #158
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
The one that surprised me was that he was unaware that the UK had nukes.

One would think the POTUS ought to know such things. Everybody else does.
You can't expect that from a Special Needs president.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:10 PM   #159
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
You can't expect that from a Special Needs president.
"Special Needs president"! I like it. I hope you offered it on the 'nickname thread'!!!
Old 18th June 2020, 03:11 PM   #160
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

From what I understand Bolton said briefings to Trump were a waste of time as every meeting devolved into Trump rambling on and on about himself and talking tough.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics