ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , john bolton , lawsuits

Old 18th June 2020, 03:14 PM   #161
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nancy Pelosi is pissed at Bolton big time for not testifying when she said he knew at the time Trump should be removed. He's not exactly being lauded by Dems.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 03:26 PM   #162
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nancy Pelosi is pissed at Bolton big time for not testifying when she said he knew at the time Trump should be removed. He's not exactly being lauded by Dems.
Nor should he be. I'd bet every word of what he said is true. Everything is in Trump's character and pretty much confirmed by so many other incidents and stories told by others

But when true patriotism and love of country called, Bolton ignored his duty.
Old 18th June 2020, 03:39 PM   #163
portlandatheist
Illuminator

These are my thoughts too. Bolton rightly calls Trump out for putting his personal interests above that of the countries' but didn't he do exactly that by writing this book and not testifying in front of congress when it really mattered?
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 03:49 PM   #164
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nor should he be. I'd bet every word of what he said is true. Everything is in Trump's character and pretty much confirmed by so many other incidents and stories told by others

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:09 PM   #165
jadebox
Graduate Poster

There is an editorial cartoon that shows two books, a thick one with a title like "What He Did" and a very slim volume titled "And What I Did About It."
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:18 PM   #166
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He did volunteer to testify to the Senate, knowing they wouldn't call him. One of the four prime architects of the endless wars we've had for nearly 20 years now. The others of course being Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz. Bush and Powell were just patsies for them.
Old 18th June 2020, 04:31 PM   #167
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No, it isn't. Bolton doesn't have the freedom of speech that you and I have. He voluntarily surrendered it in order to take the position in government that he did and gain access to the classified information that he worked with. He cannot freely write about that classified material. This is a long established legal principle. It isn't an outrage. Rather, Bolton was an idiot to think he could just ignore the review requirements that everyone else in his position has to abide by.

Perhaps, but Bolton doesn't have a legal leg to stand on here.
Every analysis I have seen so far is contrary to this. Maybe Ziggurat has alternative facts he can point us to.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:41 PM   #168
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Every analysis I have seen so far is contrary to this. Maybe Ziggurat has alternative facts he can point us to.
I'm sure there's some sooper seekrit proof, like about Obama being a thin-skinned narcissist.
Seriously, Doc, there's no point debating with those whose minds will never be altered by facts.

ETA: If I recall correctly you are an actual lawyer. Is Zig?

Last edited by Trebuchet; 18th June 2020 at 05:43 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #169
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm sure there's some sooper seekrit proof, like about Obama being a thin-skinned narcissist.
Seriously, Doc, there's no point debating with those whose minds will never be altered by facts.

ETA: If I recall correctly you are an actual lawyer. Is Zig?
I'm not that kind of lawyer. Ziggurat tends to actually bring receipts for most of his positions, so I was actually interested in where he was coming from. Maybe he's still on vacation.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #170
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
He doesn't.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:21 PM   #171
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I now see that the Trump administration is trying to get a emergency injunction to stop Bolton's book from being released to the public. This seems ridiculous given that they waited this long.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:23 PM   #172
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I now see that the Trump administration is trying to get a emergency injunction to stop Bolton's book from being released to the public. This seems ridiculous given that they waited this long.
Trump sure is afraid of that book. Lessee....which does he fear most being made public? Bolton's book or his tax returns?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 18th June 2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:24 PM   #173
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete
Old 18th June 2020, 06:25 PM   #174
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Not a warhawk, not even a chickenhawk. A shytehawk.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:27 PM   #175
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump sure is afraid of that book. Lessee....which does he fear most being made public? Bolton's book or his tax returns?
I can't believe their incompetence. This book wasn't a secret and Bolton was working with the government to make sure that any security issues had been addressed.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:36 PM   #176
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump threatens a lot of suits, how often does he actually follow through?
Very, very, few.
Trump was notorious when a businessman for threteing or filing lawsuits not because the thought they would get anywhere, but as pressure to get his way.
We might have a difference n legal culture here, in the US Filing a Lswsuit if the first thing you do,it's often just a negotiation opening / In the UK, I understand, it's a last resort when negotiations have failed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:38 PM   #177
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If he's fighting this hard to keep it from coming out, then it's something he fears.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:58 PM   #178
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If he's fighting this hard to keep it from coming out, then it's something he fears.
That's not how Trump's mind works.

He thinks Bolton needs to be punished for disloyalty. No one must be seen to profit from backstabbing The Donald.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:58 PM   #179
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure about that. I think Trump fears people not talking about him most of all.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:01 PM   #180
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Two scabby rats fighting in a sack on the way to being thrown in the river.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:43 PM   #181
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
These are my thoughts too. Bolton rightly calls Trump out for putting his personal interests above that of the countries' but didn't he do exactly that by writing this book and not testifying in front of congress when it really mattered?
But it didn't matter. The impeachment was bound to fail either way.

By holding his revelations off until now they have more effect. Can't get lost in the 'bump' after beating impeachment, and well timed to keep the pressure on while Trump's ratings are dropping. This just what we need to keep the ball rolling until October, when the **** really hits the fan.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:55 PM   #182
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post

By holding his revelations off until now they have more effect. Can't get lost in the 'bump' after beating impeachment, and well timed to keep the pressure on while Trump's ratings are dropping. This just what we need to keep the ball rolling until October, when the **** really hits the fan.
Impeachment was bound to fail.

But with Bolton's testimony, the House could have widened the investigation and brought much more to light.
Bolton has given Senate Republicans the perfect cover for refusing to adopt the Impeachment, since they can claim they didn't know.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:02 PM   #183
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

One entertaining story from Bolton's revelations:

President Donald Trump showed an unusual level of interest in getting Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to give North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a copy of Elton John's "Rocket Man" CD following a summit on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula...Pompeo visited North Korea in October 2018, and Trump wanted him to give Kim the CD on the trip. Trump had previously called Kim "Rocket Man" as an insult...The president apparently wanted to convince Kim it was actually meant as a compliment.

First of all, seems like a bizarre diversion for the president... you would think he had more important things to worry about.

Secondly, he must be pretty stupid if he thinks anyone would fall for the "Insults were really complements" scheme.

Lastly, if he wanted to save some money, he could have given him the William Shatner version.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:06 PM   #184
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

.. and, of course, giving KJU a present is a violation of the Sanctions.
But I guess there are workarounds.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:08 PM   #185
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Secondly, he must be pretty stupid if he thinks anyone would fall for the "Insults were really complements" scheme.
Why wouldn't he believe that? His base falls for that crap every time, even when its explained to them

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:41 PM   #186
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure about that. I think Trump fears people not talking about him most of all.
He could get that by just letting the book come out. People would talk about it regardless. No...he fears that book because it has a lot of truth in it and he knows it.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:43 PM   #187
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Impeachment was bound to fail.

But with Bolton's testimony, the House could have widened the investigation and brought much more to light.
Bolton has given Senate Republicans the perfect cover for refusing to adopt the Impeachment, since they can claim they didn't know.
Nuh uh. They knew. They just didn't give a damn.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:49 PM   #188
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump threatens a lot of suits, how often does he actually follow through?
My impression is that referring him to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram usually works.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:09 PM   #189
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post

ummm, maybe. I agree with you that it wouldn't have resulted in the removal of office but it would have made the case for that far more clear. And as it having more of an impact now for more effect? I kinda doubt it. It is good that he is doing it but it would have been better earlier IMO.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 05:05 AM   #190
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

New York Times excerpts from the book.
Quote:
At times, Mr. Trump seemed to almost mimic the authoritarian leaders he appeared to admire. “These people should be executed,” Mr. Trump once said of journalists. “They are scumbags.” When Mr. Xi explained why he was building concentration camps in China, the book says, Mr. Trump “said that Xi should go ahead with building the camps, which he thought was exactly the right thing to do.” He repeatedly badgered Mr. Barr to prosecute former Secretary of State John F. Kerry for talking with Iran in what he insisted was a violation of the Logan Act.

In the face of such behavior, even top advisers who position themselves as unswervingly loyal mock Mr. Trump behind his back. During the president’s 2018 meeting with North Korea’s leader, according to the book, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo slipped Mr. Bolton a note disparaging the president, saying, “He is so full of ****.” A month later, Mr. Bolton writes, Mr. Pompeo dismissed the president’s North Korea diplomacy, declaring that there was “zero probability of success.” Link
I'm convinced trump is even worse -- much worse -- then we know or suspect. Wait'll he's out of office and the tell-all books start coming out.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 05:10 AM   #191
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In reaction trump Tweeted:

Quote:
@realDonaldTrump
Wacko John Bolton’s “exceedingly tedious”(New York Times) book is made up of lies & fake stories. Said all good about me, in print, until the day I fired him. A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war. Never had a clue, was ostracized & happily dumped. What a dope!
The current president of the United States describing his former National Security Advisor: "...disgruntled boring fool...Never had a clue...What a dope!" Is this really happening? Is this some mass hallucination we're all suffering from?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 05:16 AM   #192
jadebox
Graduate Poster

"A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war. Never had a clue, was ostracized & happily dumped. What a dope!"

Who would ever hire someone like that?
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 05:28 AM   #193
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Why wouldn't he believe that? His base falls for that crap every time, even when its explained to them

Yep, these are the people who dismissed his mockery of a disabled reporter, because Trump was "Just doing his standard 'retard' mockery", as if this made it better.
Old 19th June 2020, 05:40 AM   #194
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
First of all, seems like a bizarre diversion for the president... you would think he had more important things to worry about.

That assumes that he had any interest in actually doing his job. I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 06:41 AM   #195
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That assumes that he had any interest in actually doing his job. I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.
Yep pity Bolton is to high Profile for Trumpsters racist followers to Murder, unlike some people in this Country he has protection from the Lawless Republican Hoards.
Others have to flee to Canada or drop out of site to protect themselves Especially in deep Red States where Trump and Republicans control, because of the Tea Party.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 07:17 AM   #196
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In reaction trump Tweeted:

The current president of the United States describing his former National Security Advisor: "...disgruntled boring fool...Never had a clue...What a dope!" Is this really happening? Is this some mass hallucination we're all suffering from?
More to the point - if he's right and they're all lies, then they can't be classified, can they? Nor are the NDAs applicable.
Old 19th June 2020, 07:35 AM   #197
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...newday-vpx.cnn

That disgusting little leprechaun, Mick Mulvaney is here saying the people who say Trump is unfit for office are wrong. He then goes on to explain how Trump didn't know how to hire and build a team because he'd never worked in government. This would make Trump unfit for office.
Old 19th June 2020, 07:47 AM   #198
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I have been assure (ad nauseum) that running a government is just like running a business.
So Trump isn't only unfit for Office, he is unfit for any executive position.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:09 AM   #199
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I have been assure (ad nauseum) that running a government is just like running a business.
So Trump isn't only unfit for Office, he is unfit for any executive position.

Let's be honest. The whole "run government like a business" routine is just an excuse to explain why a State Senator and US Senator was unqualified to be President due to lack of experience, but there's no problem with someone who knows literally jack **** about the government.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:32 AM   #200
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
"A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war. Never had a clue, was ostracized & happily dumped. What a dope!"

Who would ever hire someone like that?
George W Bush.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics