ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 28th June 2020, 12:21 PM   #81
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Per Worldometer just now, 25,125 new USA cases today, including 8530 in Florida. And a) the day's not over; and b)it's Sunday, when counts are always low.

Wow. I'm so glad Pence thinks we've got a handle on it.
Old 28th June 2020, 02:26 PM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Who was that masked man?
Old 28th June 2020, 03:28 PM   #83
Armitage72
Illuminator

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 03:43 PM   #84
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 05:09 PM   #85
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

It looks like re-opening really does have risks:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/06/ma...KJLxflxgu2kDqs

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 05:40 PM   #86
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
It looks like re-opening really does have risks:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/06/ma...KJLxflxgu2kDqs
Quote:
Walters declined an interview request from either newspaper, which reported that he said he would not provide any information to public health officials trying to trace the spread of the disease.
In other words, he's a piece of ****.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 05:54 PM   #87
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
In other words, he's a piece of ****.
That's only four stars. "Trump"has five letters. Must be a synonym.
Old 28th June 2020, 08:13 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Stupid is as stupid does.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:28 PM   #89
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Did the whole government and some Republican governors just all decide today to ignore Trump and actually do and say things that aren't insane? Pence wore a mask. The HHS secretary told everyone to wear masks. Moscow Mitch told everyone to wear a mask. Abbot and DeSantis rolled back some reopening in the face of huge surges in hospital cases. Neither mandated masks but let municipalities require them if they so choose.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #90
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Did the whole government and some Republican governors just all decide today to ignore Trump and actually do and say things that aren't insane? Pence wore a mask. The HHS secretary told everyone to wear masks. Moscow Mitch told everyone to wear a mask. Abbot and DeSantis rolled back some reopening in the face of huge surges in hospital cases. Neither mandated masks but let municipalities require them if they so choose.
I think the sudden surge of cases in Texas, Florida, and Arizona actually jolted people out of denial.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:18 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think the sudden surge of cases in Texas, Florida, and Arizona actually jolted people out of denial.
And yet you still see the idiots not wearing masks and not social distancing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:15 PM   #92
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And yet you still see the idiots not wearing masks and not social distancing.
I should have said "some people". There will always be some people that can't be jolted out of denial.
Old 30th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #93
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well done sir!
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

43000+ new cases yesterday!

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 04:48 PM   #94
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

We are the epicenter of the world! MAGA!!!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 08:57 PM   #95
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From Senate hearing on COVID 19: new word of the day, "granular".

Oh brother!

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 09:13 PM   #96
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

More from the hearing:

It comes up earlier that there's a high volume of cases in nursing homes. It's been recommended that patients all have a COVID test and staff get tested twice a week.

Six weeks after the recommendation, it's still not being done. That was a while ago.

Feds have announced insurance companies are not required to pay for testing.

"Dr Fauci, who's going to pay for the testing of nursing home staff given they earn so little and the tests cost >$1,000 ?"

"That's something we have to figure out."

Tomorrow is July 1st. That's 6 months since the first cases were recognized in the US and they haven't yet figured out who is going to pay for all the testing?????

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 11:59 PM   #97
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Well done sir!
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

43000+ new cases yesterday!
The EU announced the countries whose citizens will be allowed to enter its member countries. Guess who is on the list. Rwanda. Guess who didn't make the cut. The United States.
Old 1st July 2020, 04:07 AM   #98
Lurch
Graduate Poster

The EU announced the countries whose citizens will be allowed to enter its member countries. Guess who is on the list. Rwanda. Guess who didn't make the cut. The United States.
A little fact like this should cause every American to hang their head in shame. Folk too young to have experienced it could be forgiven for thinking, "THIS country put men on the Moon?! No way!"
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:10 AM   #99
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
A little fact like this should cause every American to hang their head in shame. Folk too young to have experienced it could be forgiven for thinking, "THIS country put men on the Moon?! No way!"
Are we great again yet?
Old 1st July 2020, 06:29 AM   #100
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the EU does not like visitors from ****-hole countries.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:36 AM   #101
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe the EU does not like visitors from ****-hole countries.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

At this point, the problem is they're more of a ****-head country.
Old 1st July 2020, 09:59 AM   #102
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

So how significant is it that many prominent Republicans are now urging everyone to wear face masks? Is Trump going to see this as a sign of disloyalty? I hope so!
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:21 AM   #103
Armitage72
Illuminator

"I've got mine. Screw the rest of you."

The Trump administration has made a deal with Gilead to buy almost all of the Remdesivir that will be produced in the next three months, leaving almost none for the rest of the world.

Quote:
The U.S. has bought nearly the entire global supply of the antiviral drug remdesivir, the only treatment licensed to treat COVID-19, as the nation continues to experience surging cases of coronavirus.

The Trump administration announced this week the U.S. struck an agreement with Gilead to secure more than 500,000 treatment courses of the drug for American hospitals through September.

Gilead will sell 100 percent of its supply for July to the U.S. and 90 percent of the supply produced in August and September.

The move by the U.S., however, leaves a large part of the world without access to the treatment.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:25 AM   #104
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So how significant is it that many prominent Republicans are now urging everyone to wear face masks? Is Trump going to see this as a sign of disloyalty? I hope so!
I think he'll say that although they're showing that they're weaker than him, because they're not suggesting mandatory mask wearing, they're not being disloyal.

Indeed, by showing how strong he is, they may even get his approval.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:27 AM   #105
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump administration has made a deal with Gilead to buy almost all of the Remdesivir that will be produced in the next three months, leaving almost none for the rest of the world.
Remember when he wanted to buy the German company that was developing a vaccine?

He'll pull out of the WHO but demand sole use of their research.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:49 AM   #106
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Birx has been quite the suck-up for which she may be elevated.

Quote:
Some White House officials, such as Meadows, want Dr. Deborah Birx, a global infectious diseases expert on the White House task force, to become the face of the coronavirus response
Old 1st July 2020, 11:54 AM   #107
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Well, the way things are shaping up, it's the US and A that will be the primary s---hole country needing 90% of whatever meds are available for their poor, ignorant citizens.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 12:16 PM   #108
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

An alternative plan might have been to license the drug and have multiple manufacturers make it around the U.S. and the world. But Gilead execs wouldn't make as much money.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:02 PM   #109
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Birx has been quite the suck-up for which she may be elevated.
Fauci snuck out the back door. His smirk rubs me the wrong way and while he's not the true face of the CDC, he might as well be. The CDC has been giving non-evidence based interim guidelines and they still are.

John Dean spoke at the U of WA a number of decades ago. One thing he said stayed with me when he was asked why everyone knowingly broke the law: People around Nixon were somewhat starstruck. They lose sight of normalcy.

That's how I pictured smiling Fauci and Brix, basking in the limelight. Neither calling Trump out for his ignorance. Fauci gave the weakest objections until Trump no longer had Fauci on the stage along with Trump.

Fauci still smirks and acts pleased to be on stage as an expert. He has yet to admit he was wrong about telling people not to wear masks. (I believe he lied and he knows it.) I don't think I've heard any reporters ask him what damage his personal mixed messages about masks have done. He's vague about pointing out the damage Trump's mixed messages about masks has done. Fauci avoids coming right out and saying Trump's mask message is harmful.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st July 2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:05 PM   #110
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Are we great again yet?
So much WINNING! I'm so tired of winning!
Old 1st July 2020, 01:10 PM   #111
jnelso99
Muse

Let me guess - he's going to sell the stuff to the highest bidder, again pitting the states against each other. Either that or he'll only give it to the red states or whoever sucks up to him the most and again let blue states fend for themselves.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:12 PM   #112
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
An alternative plan might have been to license the drug and have multiple manufacturers make it around the U.S. and the world. But Gilead execs wouldn't make as much money.
Shows to go ya, they have no concept of the world being amidst a deadly pandemic. Not their problem.

Old 1st July 2020, 01:14 PM   #113
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

So much WINNING! I'm so tired of winning!
He's a winner alright.

Yeah, Charlie Sheen style.

Hopefully, Trump too will burn out in front of the world, and call it a win!
Old 1st July 2020, 01:18 PM   #114
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
He's a winner alright.

Yeah, Charlie Sheen style.

Hopefully, Trump too will burn out in front of the world, and call it a win!
My secret fantasy: Trump falls apart during a debate and goes full on bat ****, Capt. Queeg crazy on live TV.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:45 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick of "Old people should be glad to die to save the economy" thread, just said Dr Fauci does not know what he is talking about, and should be ignored.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:48 PM   #116
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick of "Old people should be glad to die to save the economy" thread, just said Dr Fauci does not know what he is talking about, and should be ignored.
Conservatives really do hate science but do love their imaginary guy in the sky who is on their 'side'.
Old 1st July 2020, 02:01 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Conservatives really do hate science but do love their imaginary guy in the sky who is on their 'side'.
I have to disagree there; I have no issues with believing in God, but lots of issues with disagreeing with science. Somewho beleives in God, but thinks GOd uses science to run the unvierse I have no quarrel with.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 02:07 PM   #118
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

That's probably all right, they couldn't afford it anyway. At the same time out of sheer coincidence Gilead also decided it should cost $3k a dose:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gilead-...nsurance-cost/

I can only assume the Trump administration was willing to pay literally any amount of taxpayers' money to make it seem like Trump did something, anything, about the crisis.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 02:32 PM   #119
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Let me guess - he's going to sell the stuff to the highest bidder, again pitting the states against each other. Either that or he'll only give it to the red states or whoever sucks up to him the most and again let blue states fend for themselves.
Fortunately, it's not that great as a treatment, doesn't appear to affect mortality but does reduce the length of symptoms.

OTOH there is a cheap steroid which does reduce mortality by a fair amount and a complete course costs less than $50
Old 1st July 2020, 02:48 PM   #120
jnelso99
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
...a complete course costs less than $50
For now.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics