ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , Mary Trump , presidential candidates , Trump controversies

Old 17th July 2020, 02:33 AM   #281
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The more I hear about Trump from the book, the more I feel sorry for him.
Seems like he never had the chance to become a grownup.
Yeah, he's the Commodus of our time.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 04:31 AM   #282
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

C'mon. Trumpublicans have already established that psychologists can't diagnose mental illness through remote observation, or even personal observation. However, some doctors can diagnose whether or not a person is brain dead by observing television segments.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 04:43 AM   #283
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, he's the Commodus of our time.
What, a handsome man with a strong dedication to physical fitness and performing feats of athleticism? I don't know that even Trump's harshest critics would accuse him of having those traits.
Old 17th July 2020, 04:47 AM   #284
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What, a handsome man with a strong dedication to physical fitness and performing feats of athleticism? I don't know that even Trump's harshest critics would accuse him of having those traits.
Conceded.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 07:05 PM   #285
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't know why you assume Donald is intensely devoted to his son Barron. I

don't think Donald is intensely devoted to anyone other than himself.
Right. John Barron.
Old 17th July 2020, 07:12 PM   #286
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know why you assume Donald is intensely devoted to his son Barron. I don't think Donald is intensely devoted to anyone other than himself.
Donald is about as interested in Barron as Fred Trump was interested in Donald until Donald became useful to him. As a sociopath, no one is important to Trump except in how they can be useful. As Barron is a third son and still a child, he has no use yet. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Trump couldn't tell you what Barron's birthday is.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 07:14 PM   #287
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Right. John Barron.
Does he go by "Jr" too?

It is interesting isn't it that Trump named 2 of his children after himself.
Old 18th July 2020, 12:05 AM   #288
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Does he go by "Jr" too?

It is interesting isn't it that Trump named 2 of his children after himself.
Not at all. But he was worried that naming Donnie Jr after him because he might turn out to be a 'loser' according to Ivana. He was right.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 12:52 AM   #289
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Unfortunately, this book is not going to be a blockbuster.
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Oops!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:22 AM   #290
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Mary Trump really knows her uncle well.

She tweets:

"5.23 million v. 5.11 million

#seldomseen"

Numbers referring to:
Quote:
Maddow's sit-down with President Donald Trump's niece drew a record 5.23 million viewers to the show
Sean Hannity's June 25 town hall with President Trump drew 5.11 million viewers on Fox News

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...erview-1303655
Old 18th July 2020, 02:24 AM   #291
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not at all. But he was worried that naming Donnie Jr after him because he might turn out to be a 'loser' according to Ivana. He was right.
You can see the man has his priorities straight.

Old 18th July 2020, 04:25 AM   #292
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

She tweets:

#seldomseen"

Numbers referring to:
Oh that is so deliciously cruel.
Old 18th July 2020, 06:01 AM   #293
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Oh that is so deliciously cruel.
President Trump will claim that they're his ratings because the book is about him.

Thus he personally has rescued Rachel Maddow's failing #Fakenews show.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 06:34 AM   #294
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I just hope her book sells more copies than "Room where it happened" by douchebag walrus.

After all, Mary Trump was a bystander in Trump's actions and had little ability to change events. Bolton was in the middle of things and had plenty of ability to sound alarms over stubby Mcbonespurs' actions at the time they were happening but decided to stay silent.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 09:24 AM   #295
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oops!
We shall see. I was very unclear in my statement. I meant to refer to its political impact, but I used a word that is more commonly associated with its sales level.

Still, the fact that it is selling so many copies is a good sign. It might have an impact. If it does, that's excellent. I've gotten to the point where I don't care what's fair, what's right, what's accurate. If it hurts Trump, I'm for it.

The difficulty is judging what actually hurts Trump. Sometimes the voters amaze me.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 12:25 PM   #296
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

She tweets:

#seldomseen"

Numbers referring to:
Saw this on the tweet feed:

Old 18th July 2020, 01:29 PM   #297
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reading the book now. I'm only 30 or so pages into it and it is a downer to say the least. A book about a vile man written by a family member who does not like him. I'm going to learn some new things about Trump, but who cares, he'll never get my vote.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:57 PM   #298
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'm reading the book now. I'm only 30 or so pages into it and it is a downer to say the least. A book about a vile man written by a family member who does not like him. I'm going to learn some new things about Trump, but who cares, he'll never get my vote.

Ranb
Even if you think it is depressing, even if it won't change your vote....

Just think: Mary Trump is earning money on Trump's name (without stubby Mcbonespurs getting a cut) and getting attention... If nothing else, that will annoy trump to no end.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:00 PM   #299
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Even if you think it is depressing, even if it won't change your vote....

Just think: Mary Trump is earning money on Trump's name (without stubby Mcbonespurs getting a cut) and getting attention... If nothing else, that will annoy trump to no end.

And from his own family. The only thing that might be better is a tell all from Melania after she leaves his arse.
Old 18th July 2020, 04:05 PM   #300
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

George Washington U. is about six blocks from the White House, and in normal times they have an extensive series of public events, including author talks in a large auditorium. I hope it's one of the places she goes to promote her book.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:06 PM   #301
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

And from his own family. The only thing that might be better is a tell all from Melania after she leaves his arse.
I'll bet the contract has already been signed.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:13 PM   #302
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'll bet the contract has already been signed.
I doubt it. He'll have her hands legally tied because she'll have signed an NDA tied to her settlement money. I'm sure that's what keeps Ivana and Marla from spilling the beans on him.
Old 18th July 2020, 04:30 PM   #303
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Restrictions on her talking are probably part of the pre-nup.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:31 PM   #304
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

... If nothing else, that will annoy trump to no end.
That I like. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2020, 04:34 PM   #305
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Restrictions on her talking are probably part of the pre-nup.
Guess it depends on what is in the prenup...

It is possible that trump is flat broke and only survived by borrowing... Thus, he might not have the money to actually pay whatever she is supposed to get in a divorce.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th July 2020, 05:00 PM   #306
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I’m listening to the book on Audible. I find it interesting that Mary is doing the narration. Often this is not the best decision, but it works well here as she admits at the start that much of what she has written was the result of first hand experience within the Trump family.

As for its impact? It’s only a matter of a very short time before Trump makes explosive, incorrect, hateful and probably slanderous comments about Mary (if he’s already done so I’ve missed it). All of these events (drink bleach, we have the virus under control etc etc) will have more and more people hopping off the fence.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 05:15 PM   #307
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

No massive revelations so far, but I’m enjoying tidbits like Trump devoting twice the time meeting with Todd Rungren than his entire family.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 05:25 PM   #308
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I’m listening to the book on Audible. I find it interesting that Mary is doing the narration. Often this is not the best decision, but it works well here as she admits at the start that much of what she has written was the result of first hand experience within the Trump family.

As for its impact? It’s only a matter of a very short time before Trump makes explosive, incorrect, hateful and probably slanderous comments about Mary (if he’s already done so I’ve missed it). All of these events (drink bleach, we have the virus under control etc etc) will have more and more people hopping off the fence.
I read an article today that claims that the GOP is realising that trump is a liability and starting to distance the GOP from Trump, or at least try to do so.

The thrust was that Trump is a spent force and it was time to get the hell out of dodge because there is no way trump gets re-elected.

I refuse to link it, because I have no clue if it is true and cannot stand over it. And I am not about to propagate another bucket of propaganda crap.

I would like to think that the GOP is at least starting to realise that they have hitched their wagon to a kettle of crazy, but probably not.

Could there be a ground swell of popular opinion against trump in the GOP? Maybe. But they sure conceal it well.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 08:24 PM   #309
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I read an article today that claims that the GOP is realising that trump is a liability and starting to distance the GOP from Trump, or at least try to do so.

The thrust was that Trump is a spent force and it was time to get the hell out of dodge because there is no way trump gets re-elected.

I refuse to link it, because I have no clue if it is true and cannot stand over it. And I am not about to propagate another bucket of propaganda crap.

I would like to think that the GOP is at least starting to realise that they have hitched their wagon to a kettle of crazy, but probably not.

Could there be a ground swell of popular opinion against trump in the GOP? Maybe. But they sure conceal it well.
His handling of the pandemic, and especially his contempt for wearing masks and social distancing, are frustrating some GOP senators who are hearing bad numbers from their states. But nothing quite so stark as what you describe.

I sincerely wonder what Trump's reaction to his niece's book is/will be. It's about him, after all - his favorite subject.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 12:36 AM   #310
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweeted

"Mary Trump, a seldom seen niece who knows little about me, says untruthful things about my wonderful parents (who couldn’t stand her!) and me, and violated her NDA. She’s a mess! Many books have been written about me, some good, some bad. Both happily and sadly, there will be more to come!"

He's in full denial mode as expected.
Old 19th July 2020, 03:10 AM   #311
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Trump tweeted

"Mary Trump, a seldom seen niece who knows little about me, says untruthful things about my wonderful parents (who couldn’t stand her!) and me, and violated her NDA. She’s a mess! Many books have been written about me, some good, some bad. Both happily and sadly, there will be more to come!"

The hatred and slander starts. Let’s see where it leads.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 19th July 2020, 07:33 AM   #312
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Her grandparents "couldn't stand her"?
Old 19th July 2020, 07:35 AM   #313
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
That felt odd to me too.
Old 19th July 2020, 08:22 AM   #314
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
That speaks well of her character.
Old 19th July 2020, 09:02 AM   #315
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Trump tweeted

Predictably, the book has gotten to him.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 09:30 AM   #316
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That speaks well of her character.
And is one more element that confirms the family dysfunction.

ETA: Whether or not it's true. Either they really "couldn't stand" their own grandchild, or Donald Trump is willing to make up lies about his parents in order to discredit his niece.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 19th July 2020 at 09:32 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 10:32 AM   #317
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pre...id-and-vicious
Quote:
Wallace then noted that the president has “developed a pretty thick skin over the years from decades of attacks in New York tabloids” and the press as well as his political opponents in Washington, D.C.
Really? Thick skin? I'd say he needs all that makeup to hide the thin transparent skin.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ny-app...court-decision
Does the NDA actually exist?
Old 19th July 2020, 11:08 AM   #318
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And is one more element that confirms the family dysfunction.

ETA: Whether or not it's true. Either they really "couldn't stand" their own grandchild, or Donald Trump is willing to make up lies about his parents in order to discredit his niece.
What took me back was how intelligent she is. I saw her on her ABC interview and I plan to watch her MSNBC interview too. To most people, the Trump name is synonymous with stupidity so it was surprising to see a Trump who could speak intelligently. She's also capable of introspection which is a bit shocking in a Trump.
Old 19th July 2020, 11:14 AM   #319
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

According to Mary's book, Fred Sr. didn't really care about any of his grandchildren and very little for any of his children other than Donald who was just like him. He was a sociopath who controlled everyone and demanded total loyalty but gave none. Just like Donald. Donald's mother, Mary, was submissive and never, ever stood up to Fred. But, according to Mary, she and her grandmother were very close. One incident that demonstrates the difference between Mary Sr. and Fred Sr: When Mary Jr. was in Columbia graduate school, her apartment was burglarized and her typewriter stolen. She didn't have enough money for a new one and asked for an advance on her allowance to buy one. Fred Sr. refused and told her to 'get a job'. When she told her grandmother, Mary Sr. slipped her a check. Fred Sr. found out when he ran across the canceled check and was furious. Fred Sr. also became angry because he didn't like her endorsed signature...it was too sloppy. She was told to change it.
Old 19th July 2020, 12:10 PM   #320
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

According to Mary's book, Fred Sr. didn't really care about any of his grandchildren and very little for any of his children other than Donald who was just like him. He was a sociopath who controlled everyone and demanded total loyalty but gave none. Just like Donald. Donald's mother, Mary, was submissive and never, ever stood up to Fred. But, according to Mary, she and her grandmother were very close. One incident that demonstrates the difference between Mary Sr. and Fred Sr: When Mary Jr. was in Columbia graduate school, her apartment was burglarized and her typewriter stolen. She didn't have enough money for a new one and asked for an advance on her allowance to buy one. Fred Sr. refused and told her to 'get a job'. When she told her grandmother, Mary Sr. slipped her a check. Fred Sr. found out when he ran across the canceled check and was furious. Fred Sr. also became angry because he didn't like her endorsed signature...it was too sloppy. She was told to change it.

I'll add that to my list of How to Identify a Lunatic.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics