ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2020, 02:25 AM   #1
SezMe
post-pre-born

Black Lives Matter

I'm astonished that we don't have a thread devoted to this topic, at least in USA Politics. I'll start by posting this edition of John Oliver's show:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm left feeling impotent at my inability to even influence change in support of BLM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 06:14 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You could start by saying what you believe, and why. Then you could follow up with what actions you are taking or will take based on your beliefs, and why. It's not the same as making people do what you want, but it's a step towards understanding and agreement. This is the beginning of influencing change.

Right now I don't even know what BLM means to you. What change do you seek? Who are you wanting to influence? Influence them to do what? Are you trying to change your local community? This online community? Other communities elsewhere? Etc.

You must have more to offer than simply shilling John Oliver and then giving up.

Last edited by theprestige; 31st August 2020 at 06:16 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 06:19 AM   #3
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

A basic look at america shows that no they don't, at least to most Americans.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 06:21 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"bUt whAddaBoutA aLL livEs mAttER?"
Old 31st August 2020, 06:30 AM   #5
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm astonished that we don't have a thread devoted to this topic, at least in USA Politics. I'll start by posting this edition of John Oliver's show:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm left feeling impotent at my inability to even influence change in support of BLM.
Can you post a quick summary for those of us who do not have the attention span to watch a twenty minute video?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Astonished, are we OP? Why?
Old 31st August 2020, 06:36 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah yes the demands for "Oh I'm sorry could you please explain again, in detail, your problems with the police systematically murdering black people and getting away with it are? I mean it's only one of the biggest social debates happening, one that has been brought up in countless discussions I have been a part of it, but I will pretend that you laying out your exact version of it is super important for the 'civil debate' I'm going to insist we have" sea-lioning is already starting.
Old 31st August 2020, 06:52 AM   #8
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I invite you to listen to this painful, autobiographical song by Brittany Howard.

Every black person I know/meet tells me painful stories of their experiences.
Old 31st August 2020, 07:00 AM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Can you post a quick summary for those of us who do not have the attention span to watch a twenty minute video?
It's a typical excellent John Oliver segment, highlighting the RNC convention with its unprecedented lying and hypocrisy, and Kenosha with it a fully precedented murdering black guy's and letting white children wander around shooting people. Not much on the formal BLM organization, more the frustration of people still not getting it
Old 31st August 2020, 09:36 AM   #10
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I was, as the Brits so wonderfully put it, gobsmacked when Barr actually said “I don’t agree there’s systemic racism in the police department, generally, in this country."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 09:40 AM   #11
Venom
Illuminator

Deplorables

I AGREE
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 09:45 AM   #12
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I was, as the Brits so wonderfully put it, gobsmacked when Barr actually said “I don’t agree there’s systemic racism in the police department, generally, in this country."
That is the republican truth though, why it is so shocking when one of them just states it as such?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Deplorables

I AGREE
That's bravery right there.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 09:46 AM   #14
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And I'd bet each and every one of those dreadful people was a Trump supporter.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 31st August 2020 at 09:48 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 09:48 AM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is the republican truth though, why it is so shocking when one of them just states it as such?
Because he is the Attorney General of the US. Even if he thinks so privately, it's shocking to hear him say it publicly. It just goes to show how blatant the racism has become under Trump.
Old 31st August 2020, 09:55 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Because he is the Attorney General of the US. Even if he thinks so privately, it's shocking to hear him say it publicly. It just goes to show how blatant the racism has become under Trump.
Like Jeff Sessions was any better. This is the republican truth. Hell a majority of them feel that discrimination against whites is as bad or worse.

"The PRRI polls underline a similar separation. In 2019, its polling found that 68% of Americans who approve of Trump say that discrimination against whites is as great a problem as discrimination against minorities; three-fourths of those who disapproved of Trump rejected that view. In 2018 polling, PRRI likewise found that nearly four-fifths of those favorable to Trump said police killings of black men were isolated incidents; almost three-fourths of those unfavorable to Trump said they are part of a broader pattern. On both of these questions, white evangelical Christians -- the core of the modern GOP coalition -- were especially likely to deny the existence of systemic racism against blacks."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/polit...iew/index.html

You can't expect a republican attorney general to promote democratic ideas like systemic bias against minorities exists. All that got shut down as soon as Trump took over.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:32 AM   #17
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Like Jeff Sessions was any better. This is the republican truth. Hell a majority of them feel that discrimination against whites is as bad or worse.

"The PRRI polls underline a similar separation. In 2019, its polling found that 68% of Americans who approve of Trump say that discrimination against whites is as great a problem as discrimination against minorities; three-fourths of those who disapproved of Trump rejected that view. In 2018 polling, PRRI likewise found that nearly four-fifths of those favorable to Trump said police killings of black men were isolated incidents; almost three-fourths of those unfavorable to Trump said they are part of a broader pattern. On both of these questions, white evangelical Christians -- the core of the modern GOP coalition -- were especially likely to deny the existence of systemic racism against blacks."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/polit...iew/index.html

You can't expect a republican attorney general to promote democratic ideas like systemic bias against minorities exists. All that got shut down as soon as Trump took over.
Jesus H. They really do live in an alternate reality. A very stupid one.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:39 AM   #18
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So. The OP says they feel impotent to enact meaningful change supporting BLM. I hear that. I've marched in the protests in my hometown and in Philly, and what did it do? Nada. Argued with family and strangers and changed no hearts or freaking minds. Damn near alienated my own gun totin' half brother over this ****. So what do we do to do something with teeth? Vote, yeah. Get active to support equality laws. Slow baby steps tho. How do we make a serious dent in the problem?

I think the first step is the longest one: improve education and opportunities in minority districts. That has to be job #1, to level out the field for the up and coming generations. Without that, it's just a band aid measure.

Money in broke districts isn't coming from cash-strapped tax bases. It needs to be reallocated statewide, or nationally. You want productive citizens? Give them a level playing field to perform.
Old 31st August 2020, 11:18 AM   #19
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ah yes the demands for "Oh I'm sorry could you please explain again, in detail, your problems with the police systematically murdering black people and getting away with it are? I mean it's only one of the biggest social debates happening, one that has been brought up in countless discussions I have been a part of it, but I will pretend that you laying out your exact version of it is super important for the 'civil debate' I'm going to insist we have" sea-lioning is already starting.
Systematic is a bit over the top. Yes this kind of thing is a real problem, but systematic brings up images of death camps, and the like. It's hyperbole and it hurt what is otherwise a valid point.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 11:27 AM   #20
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Systematic is a bit over the top. Yes this kind of thing is a real problem, but systematic brings up images of death camps, and the like. It's hyperbole and it hurt what is otherwise a valid point.
Ya sure death camps. When we have death camps, only then can we say there's systemic racism. Talk about hyperbole.

Systemic racism includes unequal schools. Unequal employment opportunities. Unequal housing opportunities. (E.g. landlords hand-writing "C" for colored on applications submitted by black people, in order to filter them out). Unequal justice.

Last edited by varwoche; 31st August 2020 at 11:28 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 11:28 AM   #21
Venom
Illuminator

Systematic vs systemic.

Can we just move on now from this little correction. Thanks.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 11:29 AM   #22
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Old 31st August 2020, 12:45 PM   #23
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

The people who say this also cheer when protestors are run over by vehicles.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 02:10 PM   #24
Mader Levap
Muse

Tip: "all lives matter" according to small rethuglicanese-english dictionary means "only white lives matter".

Systematic is a bit over the top. Yes this kind of thing is a real problem, but systematic brings up images of death camps, and the like.
No, it does not. Systemic problem does not imply death camps or any ridiculous nonsense like that.

It's hyperbole
You dare to lecture us about hyperbole? Just after claiming police needs to set up death camps for blacks before we can say police has systemic racism problem? Lol, what a impudence.
Old 31st August 2020, 02:36 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I think the first step is the longest one: improve education and opportunities in minority districts. That has to be job #1, to level out the field for the up and coming generations. Without that, it's just a band aid measure.
The BLM issue is systemic racism in the police force. Specifically, in your case, systemic racism in your community's police force.

So. I would say that job one for you is probably to get more involved in community oversight of your police force. Especially improving education of your police officers. Also improving opportunities for minorities in your community to interact with - and join the ranks of - your community's police officers.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 02:39 PM   #26
sphenisc
Philosopher

So. The OP says they feel impotent to enact meaningful change supporting BLM. I hear that. I've marched in the protests in my hometown and in Philly, and what did it do? Nada. Argued with family and strangers and changed no hearts or freaking minds. Damn near alienated my own gun totin' half brother over this ****. So what do we do to do something with teeth? Vote, yeah. Get active to support equality laws. Slow baby steps tho. How do we make a serious dent in the problem?

Money in broke districts isn't coming from cash-strapped tax bases. It needs to be reallocated statewide, or nationally. You want productive citizens? Give them a level playing field to perform.
You need to organise massive anti-BLM, anti-lockdown, anti-mask rallies with lots of shouting and singing, synchronised across the country approximately two weeks before polling day.
Old 31st August 2020, 02:43 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. It's "systemic." But look here:

There are thousands (tens of thousands?) of independent or semi-independent police forces in the US. Some of them are almost certainly going to have systematic racism. Others, systemic. Others, institutionalized. Others, an unofficial culture. Others, a soft bigotry of low expectations. Even the best ones are likely to have at least a few bad cops protected from the consequences of their actions by the Thin Blue Line.

"Yes this kind of thing is a problem," full stop. Stop worrying so much about "hyperbole", and start worrying about how much trouble the bad apples on your local force are getting away with because their brother officers are covering for them and you're not paying attention.
Old 31st August 2020, 02:45 PM   #28
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

bLaCk LiVeS mAtTeR? YoU rAcIsT1!1!!

"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 03:04 PM   #29
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post

I AGREE

Video not available. Uploader has not made this video visible in your country.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 03:59 PM   #30
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
The people who say this also cheer when protestors are run over by vehicles.
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
bLaCk LiVeS mAtTeR? YoU rAcIsT1!1!!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d6f371247e.png
When someone says, "Blue Lives Matter!" do people respond, "Well, actually, I think you'll find all lives matter!"?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 04:02 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Astonished, are we OP? Why?
Maybe he's not aware that we've got dozens of threads on this topic. Hell, this forum was doing "... while black" threads before BLM was a household word. I'm beginning to think the opening post really is just a shill for John Oliver.
Old 31st August 2020, 04:33 PM   #32
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Deplorables

I AGREE
W.
T.
A.
F.

ETA: And I thought it was "the Libs" who were supposed to be easily triggered. These morons are permanently itching to shoot somebody, ANYBODY.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 31st August 2020 at 04:35 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 04:39 PM   #33
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Deplorables

I AGREE
I like the fact that the person who handed him the note in the end was wearing a periodic table t-shirt
Old 31st August 2020, 04:40 PM   #34
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I'm glad theprestige is here to explain to us exactly what should be done about issues with policing. Certainly that's what the world needs.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 04:40 PM   #35
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
W.
T.
A.
F.

ETA: And I thought it was "the Libs" who were supposed to be easily triggered. These morons are permanently itching to shoot somebody, ANYBODY.
I'm disappointed that one moron didn't come back a third time. Although I think we might be lucky he didn't
Old 31st August 2020, 04:42 PM   #36
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I'm disappointed that one moron didn't come back a third time. Although I think we might be lucky he didn't
Sorry, that should be spelled "morans".
Old 31st August 2020, 05:42 PM   #37
Mumbles
Philosopher

W.
T.
A.
F.

Like I keep saying: the most hypersensitive, terrified of everything group in the US are conservative white men. How many times have you heard them scream that BLM, or Antifa, or whoever has "burned the cities to the ground", and then posted videos in cities looking perfectly fine and unburned? How many times have we seen them howl about "gang signs" when looking at a photo of a black or Hispanic person flashing a peace sign in a photo?
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 05:54 PM   #38
Venom
Illuminator

W.
T.
A.
F.

This town is 96.2% white as of 2010. I believe they're just more open to saying it out loud.
Old 31st August 2020, 06:54 PM   #39
Mumbles
Philosopher

...the hell are you talking about?

Wanna know what brings up images of death camps? the phrase "death camps". "Systemic racism" brings to mind things like jobs being given only to friends of current employees, underfunding black and indigenous schools, police violently searching black and Hispanic people for no reason, and then being shocked when they find more black and Hispanic people with drugs (but fewer per capita), the continued undervaluing of housing in black neighborhood *because* the residents are mostly black as a remnant of redlining practices, and so on.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2020, 07:28 PM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, it sure does... if only that was what we are actually talking about.

Pro Tip: "systematic" and "systemic" do not mean the same thing. The difference between them is very, very important in relation to the subject here.

"Systematic" implies a plan of operation being put into place and being carried out. You can liken "systematic" to "methodical". The murdering of millions of Jews & Gypsies by the Nazis in the 1930s and 1940s was "systematic"

"Systemic", on the other hand means of, or relating to a system. It is used to describe some aspect, say, a social problem that affects every part of an entire system. You can liken "systemic" to "ingrained". Poverty in many third-world countries is "systemic".

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st August 2020 at 07:46 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics