ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Cohen

Old 5th September 2020, 10:59 PM   #1
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Disloyal: A Memoir - Michael Cohen's book

"Disloyal: A Memoir", by Michael Cohen, is the next in line anti Trump book.

Not sure what impact it can and will have, as Michael Cohen is, ... , well, Michael Cohen.

But there are some interesting things in the book, according to CNN: In tell-all book, Michael Cohen says Trump hired a 'Faux-Bama' during White House run

The "funniest" thing is about "Faux-Bama":
Quote:
Trump's disdain for Obama was so extreme that he took his fixation a step further, according to Cohen: Trump hired a "Faux-Bama" to participate in a video in which Trump "ritualistically belittled the first black president and then fired him."
Cohen's book, "Disloyal: A Memoir," doesn't name the man who was allegedly hired to play Obama or provide a specific date for the incident, but it does include a photograph of Trump sitting behind a desk, facing a Black man wearing a suit with an American flag pin affixed to the lapel. On Trump's desk are two books, one displaying Obama's name in large letters.
Whatever one thinks about Cohen, there is much truth in his judgment about US media:

Quote:
"Donald Trump's presidency is a product of the free press," he writes. "Not free as in freedom of expression, I mean free as unpaid for. Rallies broadcast live, tweets, press conferences, idiotic interviews, 24-7 wall-to-wall coverage, all without spending a penny. The free press gave America Trump."
"Right, left, moderate, tabloid, broadsheet, television, radio, Internet, Facebook -- that is who elected Trump and might well elect him again."
(bolding mine)

Last edited by Firestone; 5th September 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2020, 11:30 PM   #2
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I have to agree with that. The twenty-four hour news had to fill up the time and Trump certainly gave them all the material they needed. The one thing I have to give Trump credit for is he certainly knows how to keep himself in the news and to manipulate the media.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 12:40 AM   #3
Cain
Straussian

From WaPo: Cohen writes that before winning the presidency, Trump held a meeting at Trump Tower with prominent evangelical leaders, where they laid their hands on him in prayer. Afterward, Trump allegedly said: “Can you believe that bulls--t? Can you believe people believe that bulls--t?”

They're losers and suckers.
Old 6th September 2020, 02:13 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It seems more and more clear that Trump is the result of Fox crowning Trump as their replacement for Roger Alies, and Cohen using the Pecker Blackmail Vault to extort support for Trump.
Old 6th September 2020, 02:23 AM   #5
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It seems more and more clear that Trump is the result of Fox crowning Trump as their replacement for Roger Alies, and Cohen using the Pecker Blackmail Vault to extort support for Trump.
Nothing to do with wall-to-wall coverage of his rallies by the likes of CNN? Or other somewhat "left" media relying on his scandals to fill air time?

I think that's quite an insight from Cohen. I'll circumvent paywalls when possible, but many people think they shouldn't have to pay for content. Me, I don't even use ad block. I have no problem with news organizations trying to monetize their online coverage.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 03:08 AM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Nothing to do with wall-to-wall coverage of his rallies by the likes of CNN? Or other somewhat "left" media relying on his scandals to fill air time?

I think that's quite an insight from Cohen. I'll circumvent paywalls when possible, but many people think they shouldn't have to pay for content. Me, I don't even use ad block. I have no problem with news organizations trying to monetize their online coverage.
Trump would have never made it on the debate stage if the RNC had been unified against him.
Old 6th September 2020, 07:01 AM   #7
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The only way this book will have an impact is if Cohen says he gave money to women to get abortions. I don't think there's anything else he could say that would matter. There's a segment of the Evangelical Right that would stay home if Cohen could substantiate that Trump paid for abortions. It could be enough to move the needle in Georgia and North Carolina.
Old 6th September 2020, 09:54 AM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
From WaPo: Cohen writes that before winning the presidency, Trump held a meeting at Trump Tower with prominent evangelical leaders, where they laid their hands on him in prayer. Afterward, Trump allegedly said: “Can you believe that bulls--t? Can you believe people believe that bulls--t?”
Wow! I agree with Trump on something.
Old 6th September 2020, 10:15 AM   #9
chrispy
Muse

Some more alarming nuggets from the book.

According to The Guardian, Cohen talks about Trump's history of racist remarks, calling Black and Latino voters "Too stupid to vote for Trump" among other things.

He also claims Trump made a comment to Cohen about Cohen's then 15 year old daughter, calling her a "Piece of ass. I would love some of that", apparently unaware of who she was when he said it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...daniels-russia
Old 6th September 2020, 10:18 AM   #10
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Some more alarming nuggets from the book.

According to The Guardian, Cohen talks about Trump's history of racist remarks, calling Black and Latino voters "Too stupid to vote for Trump" among other things.

He also claims Trump made a comment to Cohen about Cohen's then 15 year old daughter, calling her a "Piece of ass. I would love some of that", apparently unaware of who she was when he said it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...daniels-russia
Well, Qannon should be happy. We finally found a pedophile at the highest levels of government.
Old 6th September 2020, 10:21 AM   #11
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt it would have made any difference if he did know who she was, given that he's said the same thing about his own daughter.
Old 6th September 2020, 10:25 AM   #12
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I doubt it would have made any difference if he did know who she was, given that he's said the same thing about his own daughter.
Ewww. I totally forgot about that. There goes sleep tonight. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:13 AM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I bet Trump is going to call the book "Disgruntled" and dismiss it as the rantings of a guy who got fired. It's petty enough and dumb enough that I believe he'll do it.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Venom
Illuminator

Judging from comments of Trumpers on social media these little tidbits from Cohen's book are barely making a dent in his base. They are deflecting so hard it's embarrassing.

But it's still early. Give it a couple more weeks.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The Trumpers will say you can't believe Cohen because he's a known liar and felon. What they'll so conveniently forget is that the reason he's a known liar and felon is because he was protecting TRUMP.

Isn't it ironic that they won't believe Cohen who lied for Trump, but they'll believe Trump who lies to them several times every single day?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 11:25 AM   #16
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I remember predicting a when he got convicted that it might be a problem for Trump when Cohen got released from prison and writes a tell-all book. I hope it's a big problem, but the way things are going, not expecting it to be.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:28 AM   #17
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It is accepted GOP election doctrine that Minorities are too stupid to vote Republican.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:41 PM   #18
Firestone

The weird thing with all these Trump books, or articles like that in The Atlantic about disrespect toward veterans, or the Mueller report, or the recent Senate report, is that all we actually learn from them are (sometimes juicy) titbits.

But Trump, each and every day, in tweets or "briefings", actions and inactions, shows us who and what he is. There is no 3d chess, "he is what he is". The books, articles, and reports just confirm it.

Last edited by Firestone; 6th September 2020 at 01:45 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:51 PM   #19
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
The weird thing with all these Trump books, or articles like that in The Atlantic about disrespect toward veterans, or the Mueller report, or the recent Senate report, is that all we actually learn from them are (sometimes juicy) titbits.

But Trump, each and every day, in tweets or "briefings", actions and inactions, shows us who and what he is. There is no 3d chess, "he is what he is". The books, articles, and reports just confirm it.
The only real exception I can think of is Wolff's account of Trump&Co in the time leading up to election night. He describes a Trump who does not expect to win, does not want to win, and even reassures a worried Ivanka (I think - it might have been Melania) that he's not going to win. He describes a shocked Trump on election night, and Melania "crying tears, and not of joy". He then describes a Trump who went from surprised, to horrified, to fully convinced he would make a great American president.

It fits with his acceptance speech, where he looks like he's seen a ghost, and all the weird things he did during the election campaign (although all of them were in character, in hindsight some of them also give the impression he was doing a kind of self-sabotage). It fits the famous footage of Ivanka looking anything but happy, smiling only when her husband looks at her.

I was going to say it also explains why Trump has never really put forth any real policies, mostly just vague stuff like "build a wall", "throw out all the illegals", and "repeal Obamacare and replace it with... something", but honestly, I think that's just Trump. Otherwise he'd have come up with something the nearly four years' he's been POTUS.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 05:46 PM   #20
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like the trump video of Obama came out? Unless someone took a quick editing pass on it before release, it looks like a promotional video rather than something for a "private" collection.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 12:18 AM   #21
Firestone

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The only real exception I can think of is Wolff's account of Trump&Co in the time leading up to election night. He describes a Trump who does not expect to win, does not want to win, and even reassures a worried Ivanka (I think - it might have been Melania) that he's not going to win. He describes a shocked Trump on election night, and Melania "crying tears, and not of joy". He then describes a Trump who went from surprised, to horrified, to fully convinced he would make a great American president.

It fits with his acceptance speech, where he looks like he's seen a ghost, and all the weird things he did during the election campaign (although all of them were in character, in hindsight some of them also give the impression he was doing a kind of self-sabotage). It fits the famous footage of Ivanka looking anything but happy, smiling only when her husband looks at her.

I was going to say it also explains why Trump has never really put forth any real policies, mostly just vague stuff like "build a wall", "throw out all the illegals", and "repeal Obamacare and replace it with... something", but honestly, I think that's just Trump. Otherwise he'd have come up with something the nearly four years' he's been POTUS.
Kind of agree with that. I actually expected Trump would quickly be bored with presidenting and resign.
What happened is that he discovered the one big advantage of being president (much bigger than channelling taxpayer's money to his properties): it's the best "stay out of jail" card available. While he possibly didn't want or expected to win in 2016, he sure wants to win now.

Michael Cohen describes Trump as a "mob boss". Being immune to prosecution is a mob boss wet dream.

Last edited by Firestone; 7th September 2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:23 AM   #22
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I remember predicting a when he got convicted that it might be a problem for Trump when Cohen got released from prison and writes a tell-all book. I hope it's a big problem, but the way things are going, not expecting it to be.
I don't think the book is going to be as big of a problem as Cohen's cooperation with the the SDNY.
Old 7th September 2020, 06:36 AM   #23
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Latest tidbit from Cohen... Trump (unsurprisingly) dumped on evangelicals.

After meeting a group of Christian leaders in 2016, trump quipped "can you believe people believe that b.s.?"

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...l-cohen-2020-9

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 07:43 AM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Latest tidbit from Cohen... Trump (unsurprisingly) dumped on evangelicals.

After meeting a group of Christian leaders in 2016, trump quipped "can you believe people believe that b.s.?"

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...l-cohen-2020-9

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
That's a stopped-clock moment for Trump right there!
Old 7th September 2020, 10:12 AM   #25
Venom
Illuminator

Here's the video Cohen is talking about.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Obsessed!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 10:25 AM   #26
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Here's the video Cohen is talking about.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Obsessed!
Obama owns a ****-ton of real estate in Trump's head.
Old 7th September 2020, 10:35 AM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've often wondered if Trump's intense hatred for Obama dates from before or after the correspondents' dinner in 2011 when Obama mocked him.
Ironically, in that video, Trump criticizes Obama for the amount of golf he plays.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:03 AM   #28
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've often wondered if Trump's intense hatred for Obama dates from before or after the correspondents' dinner in 2011 when Obama mocked him.
Ironically, in that video, Trump criticizes Obama for the amount of golf he plays.
I still feel that Trump wasn't going to actually run for office until that dinner roast. His pure lack of humor and self awareness combined with his narcissism made it impossible for him to just laugh it off like any normal person.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:42 AM   #29
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I still feel that Trump wasn't going to actually run for office until that dinner roast. His pure lack of humor and self awareness combined with his narcissism made it impossible for him to just laugh it off like any normal person.
I'd be hard put to argue with that. Trump is so petty and his need for revenge so great that it was impossible for him to react to it like a normal person. We see this same behavior from him toward other people who anger him every single day.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:03 PM   #30
Elagabalus
Philosopher

What was Trump doing before the correspondents dinner? I can't remember. Anyway this is funny. A blast from the past.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ald-trump-live
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 01:38 PM   #31
Mumbles
Philosopher

Why wouldn't he have run in 2012, in that case? Yes, he was angry about that, but he was also, obviously, enraged at the idea that a black person could be president - no shock given his decades of open white supremacism. Would he have run even if Obama hadn't mocked him? No telling, but it's entirely possible, given his obsessive need to show that he was superior as a white male, along with his need to be praised at every turn.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 02:10 PM   #32
Venom
Illuminator

He says Trump said Obama only got into Harvard because of affirmative action....

Oh dear.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:24 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What was Trump doing before the correspondents dinner? I can't remember. Anyway this is funny. A blast from the past.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ald-trump-live
He's still the same blithering and blathering idiot.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:28 PM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Why wouldn't he have run in 2012, in that case? Yes, he was angry about that, but he was also, obviously, enraged at the idea that a black person could be president - no shock given his decades of open white supremacism. Would he have run even if Obama hadn't mocked him? No telling, but it's entirely possible, given his obsessive need to show that he was superior as a white male, along with his need to be praised at every turn.
He couldn't face losing to Obama.
Old 7th September 2020, 06:15 PM   #35
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He couldn't face losing to Obama.
And by running when Obama was already heading out the door, Drumpf can fool himself into thinking he 'beat' his nemesis. Well, mostly by making up so much crap about how Obama ran the country into the ground and li'l Donny rushed in to save the day.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 06:27 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
And by running when Obama was already heading out the door, Drumpf can fool himself into thinking he 'beat' his nemesis. Well, mostly by making up so much crap about how Obama ran the country into the ground and li'l Donny rushed in to save the day.
Yeah, with an unemployment rate of IIRC 4.3% on Inauguration Day the country really needed saving!
Old 7th September 2020, 10:59 PM   #37
Firestone

According to Michael Cohen, Trump's intense hatred for Obama dates from the 2008 election.

Excerpt from the book:
Clipboard01.jpg

https://twitter.com/braggs91/status/1303204873438199809
Old 7th September 2020, 11:18 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Just so we know: How long did Cohen work for Trump?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:21 PM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Just so we know: How long did Cohen work for Trump?
2006 to 2018
Old 7th September 2020, 11:30 PM   #40
Firestone

In person testimonies about Trump's private behaviour (as president or before that) will, almost by definition, come from flawed characters (Cohen, Bolton, Omarosa, the many "anonymous" sources in books and articles, ...).
Mary Trump is an exception I can think of.

Last edited by Firestone; 7th September 2020 at 11:34 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics