ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 17th July 2017, 03:29 PM   #121
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Not a very impressive response sorry.

You missed the whole point which is something you seem to do quite effortlessly so often - not intentionally is it?

It is not any particular pope I am questioning the ability of, but the supposedly divinely inspired ability they exhibit as a whole.

Picking one example of a cardinal who may have been wrongly accused does not answer the fact so many clergy have been found guilty. A very poor response.

Sorry to harp on this but do you have anything to say about Pell?
The comment was actually significantly better than the post to which i was replying, particularly the guilty until proven innocent attitude.

Divinely inspired ability they exhibit as a whole? That is another absolutely ridiculous strawman. Really breathtaking.
Old 17th July 2017, 04:28 PM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Yes, it is collapsing like a house of cards.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-0...-chief/8671440
I wouldn't go that far. Just that there are issues. If the Vatican ever has any real financial issues, all it has to do is sell a few paintings since it has one of if not the best art collections in the world.

Last edited by acbytesla; 17th July 2017 at 05:11 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 05:57 PM   #123
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
"the Pew Research Center estimates that the 2010 Catholic population in Italy was 49.2 million (or 81% of the total population). In France, it was 37.9 million (60%); in Spain, 34.7 million (75%); and in Germany, 27.1 million (33%).4 These are estimates of the number of people in each country who currently self-identify as Catholic." http://www.pewforum.org/2013/03/05/d...ow-but-stable/
I would like to see statistics on religious observance. When I lived in Italy, you usually only saw older people going to church with many churches no longer in use and congregations consolidating. Baptisms were always big events but I suspect for many children, that's their first and last religious observance.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:42 PM   #124
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just that there are issues. If the Vatican ever has any real financial issues, all it has to do is sell a few paintings since it has one of if not the best art collections in the world.

Yes that should keep them in frocks and funny hats for years.
Old 17th July 2017, 07:10 PM   #125
Peregrinus
Muse

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

["......... d]ivinely inspired ability they exhibit as a whole?"*.....
That is another absolutely stunning example of your seemingly intentional dismembering of another's comment to support some notion of your own. Really breathtaking.

*Compare with the original from which you took those words, obviously omitting the single modifier crucial to the intended meaning of the original, thus allowing you to once again move the goalposts for no particular reason other than perhaps the polemical malice which others have noted from you in every thread you enter.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 08:25 PM   #126
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The comment was actually significantly better than the post to which i was replying, particularly the guilty until proven innocent attitude.

Divinely inspired ability they exhibit as a whole? That is another absolutely ridiculous strawman. Really breathtaking.

If you have managed to catch your breath now and recovered from the flailing given to you by Peregrines above. You talk about "The One True Church" and I wonder how that definition is arrived at.

Other Christian churches seem to define themselves, and the difference between themselves, by scripture. They look to the Bible for guidance for one and some even claim to have a relationship with Jesus/God so get first hand instructions about what is the truth.

As I understand it this is not so with Catholics. Catholics concede much more authority to the clergy and the clergy are held in much higher esteem than in other churches. Priests speak on behalf of God, (during confessions for example), and are regarded beyond reproach. The Pope after all is the rock on which the church, the one true church, is built.

This is what is making the Catholic Church bleed so much now, I suggest. The authority of the Pope, and all those directly or indirectly appointed by him is being questioned, because of the obvious mistakes and the questionable character of many.
Old 18th July 2017, 01:47 AM   #127
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

From everything I was taught, the Assemblies of God was the "one true church".
Old 18th July 2017, 01:59 AM   #128
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trouble is, they would need to sell paintings at an ever increasing rate. Not to mention non income earning land such as empty churches. Eventually they will run out of money.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:49 AM   #129
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Trouble is, they would need to sell paintings at an ever increasing rate. Not to mention non income earning land such as empty churches. Eventually they will run out of money.
Why they have plenty of sources of income, they own a lot of commercial property for example. Then there is all the money they make off of the health care industry while not providing women care at the level of standards of care.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:12 AM   #130
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
That is another absolutely stunning example of your seemingly intentional dismembering of another's comment to support some notion of your own. Really breathtaking.

*Compare with the original from which you took those words, obviously omitting the single modifier crucial to the intended meaning of the original, thus allowing you to once again move the goalposts for no particular reason other than perhaps the polemical malice which others have noted from you in every thread you enter.
Take a gander at what strawman means next time will you? Really take a deep dive into it.

"other than perhaps the polemical malice which others have noted from you in every thread you enter." I laughed at this hilarious personal attack.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:10 AM   #131
ahhell
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I would like to see statistics on religious observance. When I lived in Italy, you usually only saw older people going to church with many churches no longer in use and congregations consolidating. Baptisms were always big events but I suspect for many children, that's their first and last religious observance.
What, not even weddings and funerals?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy