ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa

Old 14th November 2018, 11:14 AM   #561
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Please pardon my ignorance on this. That does indeed strike me as messed up, despite the Supreme Court's rulings.

Okay, I'll amend my threshold to where I thought it was as opposed to where it evidently is: I'd prefer the line to be nudged back a bit so that you forfeit your free speech protection when you promote violence to people even when they aren't brandishing weapons and standing next to a target of the rhetoric. I guess chants of "white power" are vague enough for me to be protected free speech, but "Jews will not replace us" is not.

Now that's the legal stuff. Counterprotesters are free to go after even the protected speech that they find offensive, and I would gladly join in shouting down any fools chanting white power.

Again shouting down =/= smashing storefronts and starting a riot because someone said something you don't like. This is why Antifa is bs, and they're enabling the creeps they're trying to stifle.
Yes and the violent rioters are a problem and should be arrested. But of course you are using the right wing methodology to say that all the counter protestors many of whom are not there to riot and do identify as antifa are not worth having around.

Simply documenting the alt right and publicising their racism and fascism was the origin of the antifa movement. But the right wing is great at shaping the narrative so that their opponents get tarred with the extremists and they don't.

Take the pro life movement, a similar single issue movement to the antifa movement. You see a lot of politicians manage to call themselves pro life and embrace the movement with the harassment of rape victims and all that with out getting tarred with the bombings and murders.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 04:43 PM   #562
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Simply documenting the alt right and publicising their racism and fascism was the origin of the antifa movement.
The origin of the antifa movement is the establishment of Antifaschistische Aktion in 1932.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 06:31 PM   #563
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Okay, I'll amend my threshold to where I thought it was as opposed to where it evidently is: I'd prefer the line to be nudged back a bit so that you forfeit your free speech protection when you promote violence to people even when they aren't brandishing weapons and standing next to a target of the rhetoric. I guess chants of "white power" are vague enough for me to be protected free speech, but "Jews will not replace us" is not.
Worth note: the "Jews will not" guys in Charolettesville were openly planning to bring weapons and attack people, and they did so in writing online, and these messages were shown to the town's government. That "rally" should have never been allowed in the first place.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 07:05 PM   #564
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Yes and the violent rioters are a problem and should be arrested. But of course you are using the right wing methodology to say that all the counter protestors many of whom are not there to riot and do identify as antifa are not worth having around.

Simply documenting the alt right and publicising their racism and fascism was the origin of the antifa movement. But the right wing is great at shaping the narrative so that their opponents get tarred with the extremists and they don't.

Take the pro life movement, a similar single issue movement to the antifa movement. You see a lot of politicians manage to call themselves pro life and embrace the movement with the harassment of rape victims and all that with out getting tarred with the bombings and murders.
As I remember it, other than a brief moment of lauding in the wake of Charlottesville, antifa's overriding contribution to the narrative of racism and fascism in the past few years has been: totally overshadowing BLM events with their rudderless stupidity. BLM and Antifa "solidarity" (such as it can be called when antifa is involved) was brief before BLM saw a bunch of young white kids hijack their campaigns, lecture them (I remind you: young white kids lecturing black community elders) about how to wage "proper" resistance, and basically wrote the reactionary script of "black people('s supposed friends) riot (after all the black people leave an entirely too boring for even local news candlelight vigil and some speeches that wrapped up so everyone could go eat supper)" for them.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 07:08 AM   #565
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Worth note: the "Jews will not" guys in Charolettesville were openly planning to bring weapons and attack people, and they did so in writing online, and these messages were shown to the town's government. That "rally" should have never been allowed in the first place.
Agreed.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 07:36 AM   #566
The Shrike
Illuminator

. . . you are using the right wing methodology to say that all the counter protestors many of whom are not there to riot and do identify as antifa are not worth having around.
I assume that it works best in a riot to disperse all the protestors rather than interview them individually to determine who is promoting violence and who is demonstrating peaceably. This is unfortunate for the peaceful protestors.

But the right wing is great at shaping the narrative so that their opponents get tarred with the extremists and they don't.
I don't know if the Right is good at this or if they're simply shameless in their rhetoric and appealing to a more gullible electorate.

Because tacit endorsement of such reprehensible action does not "tar" a politician in the eyes of pro-life voters. They don't have a problem with harassing rape victims (they were asking for it) and getting bombed at an abortion clinic is simply God's justice against the baby killers at Planned Parenthood.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics