ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #721
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I have to admit that the more I watch Republicans being interviewed, the more depressed I get about this. They seem to have gelled onto a defense that is made from a mix of vague truth, twisted semantics, calling anything that would damage them hearsay, then happily using hearsay themselves, all mixed together with a lot of minor lies and a few really big whoppers, but stated with confidence and enough plausibility for those that haven't been paying attention that they could get them passed.

It has made their claims that "The President was only asking for the sake of the country (he said us) and that none of the witnesses have said that he committed a crime, and none of the witnesses have a first hand account other then Soundland who stated that the President said that there was no Quid Pro Quo. And it was totally fair that Trump asked for an investigation into Biden and his son because his son was being paid over $50K a month and Biden got the Prosecutor looking into his son and the company he worked for fired, threatening to hold up funding if he wasn't fired. Besides, Trump didn't hold up the funding for anything other than wanting to be sure that those he was giving it to weren't corrupt, and they got the money without announcing any investigation, so that clearly proves it was all good. Besides, President Zelensky has said that there was no pressure, so who do you believe, a whistleblower with second and third hand information, or President Zelensky?" almost impossible to take apart in the same time that it takes to spout it all, making it look solid to anyone not paying enough attention.

And that's what worries me, I'm not sure that the Democrats have the skills required to deal with this ball of garbage before it sinks them.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #722
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The thing about lies and nonsense such as the Republicans/Trump are pushing is that it takes very little time to spout them and much longer to refute them. And most people have the attention span of gnats. It really is true that a lie will go around the world before truth can even get its pants on.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #723
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Nonsense. This impeachment fiasco has nothing to do with the law. They don't have a crime, and that is completely obvious to anyone who has been paying attention. It's one of the greatest political blunders in American history, if not the biggest. Right now, I would be surprised if the House even votes. All it will do is lock in their losing of the House in November. The voters in those 31 districts that Dems won but Trump carried did not send them to D.C. to impeach the guy they voted for. This is a no-brainer. All but two of them did vote for the impeachment inquiry disaster, and that may be enough to defeat them anyway. We'll have to see how things play out here, then wait until November to find out.
With half of Americans being in favor of Trump's removal, it would seem that the voters in those 31 districts may actually have wanted their representative to impeach Trump. The 2018 results in the House would clearly indicate that the voters think the Trump experiment has failed. Why else would the Democrats have such a mandate to check Trump?
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #724
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm putting this here because this is the real threat involving Ukraine and Russia that Trump is stupidly ignoring while he strokes his disturbed ego and we need to get this out there to wake a couple of those Republicans up as to what they are doing.

Wired 2017: How an Entire Nation Became Russia's Test Lab for Cyberwar Blackouts in Ukraine were just a trial run. Russian hackers are learning to sabotage infrastructure and the US could be next. - Russia's Cyberwar on Ukraine Is a Blueprint for What's to Come
Quote:
Now, in Ukraine, the quintessential cyberwar scenario has come to life. Twice. On separate occasions, invisible saboteurs have turned off the electricity to hundreds of thousands of people. Each blackout lasted a matter of hours, only as long as it took for scrambling engineers to manually switch the power on again. But as proofs of concept, the attacks set a new precedent: In Russia’s shadow, the decades-old nightmare of hackers stopping the gears of modern society has become a reality.

And the blackouts weren’t just isolated attacks. They were part of a digital blitzkrieg that has pummeled Ukraine for the past three years—a sustained cyber* assault unlike any the world has ever seen. A hacker army has systematically undermined practically every sector of Ukraine: media, finance, transportation, military, politics, energy. Wave after wave of intrusions have deleted data, destroyed computers, and in some cases paralyzed organizations’ most basic functions. “You can’t really find a space in Ukraine where there hasn’t been an attack,” says Kenneth Geers, a NATO ambassador who focuses on cyber security.
CSPAN Book TV: Sandworm
Wired magazine’s Andy Greenberg talked about Sandworm, a group of hackers working for Russia’s military intelligence agency that was responsible for the world’s largest cyberattack.

This is so worth the hour (free-streaming) if you care at all about the consequences we can expect as Trump fiddles.
Old Today, 02:57 AM   #725
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Not sure if that's his own spelling or the text of the original quote as it is attributed to someone else (but not as an actual reTweet).

But Jeebuzz... He must have done 40 reTweets in the last day or so.
Being President is hard work.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #726
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
One of my brothers named his first-born son after himself. So we have Steve and Steve. My brother is "proper Steve," while his son is "other Steve." Either one could be "our Steve" if other Steves were somehow within context. I guess you're correct that using "proper" this way isn't the same as using "our," but its similar enough that I brought it up.
It seems like that's from Doctor Who, which had "Proper Dave" and "Other Dave". "Proper" would be more analogous to "original" in that context.
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #727
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
It seems like that's from Doctor Who, which had "Proper Dave" and "Other Dave". "Proper" would be more analogous to "original" in that context.
[off topic]

My partner has a brother called Pete, as well as two sisters and and another brother. A couple of years ago, they found they had another half-brother that they never knew about; he is older than any other them, and strangely, his name is also Pete.

The younger Pete now calls himself "Repete"!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #728
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It's pretty messed up to describe a vigorous defense as actions of the guilty.

I would exercise every appeal I could if Congress came after my documents.
You think intimidating witnesses and blocking them from testifying is a legal defence?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:28 AM   #729
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Hear that rumbling sound Rudy? that is the sound of a bus heading your way.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/08/polit...nts/index.html
Quote:
Attorney General William Barr counseled President Donald Trump that his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani has become a liability for his administration,*The Washington Post reported Sunday, citing people familiar with the conversations.

In one instance, the Post said, Barr warned Trump that Giuliani was not serving him well as his lawyer, according to one person with knowledge of the situation.

Giuliani has long stirred alarm among the President's advisers who worry his foreign business dealings often make it unclear who he is representing,*people familiar with the situation*told the Post. The concerns, the newspaper said, have escalated since Giuliani emerged as a key player in the House impeachment inquiry into Trump's dealings with Ukraine.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; Today at 04:30 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #730
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You think intimidating witnesses and blocking them from testifying is a legal defence?
A) I don't think what he did amounts to witness intimidation.

B) I was just saying I was a unitary executive position-holder. Obviously we are not going to see eye to eye on interpreting executive power.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:45 AM   #731
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Isn't that an Israeli two-door sports car?
Good catch! I clearly remember listening to “Little Jew Coupe” by The Beach Boys while growing up.
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #732
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Reps must be spending almost half their time campaigning!
They are.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:51 AM   #733
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Less than 48 hours before start of the Impeachment Hearing Hoax, on Monday, the No Due Process, Do Nothing Democrats are, believe it or not, changing the Impeachment Guidelines because the facts are not on their side. When you can’t win the game, change the rules!

@SenTedCruz “The Democrats are now admitting that they can’t prove a crime, they can’t prove a law was violated, and here’s why. Any president, any administration, is justified in investigating corruption, and there was serious evidence of real corruption concerning Hunter....

....Biden on the board of the largest natural gas company in Ukraine, getting paid $83,000 a month, 10 times as much as a board member of @exxonmobil.” Thank you Ted. He also made a fortune from China and others, but zero before his father became V.P. @MeetThePress

“Any president has the authority to investigate corruption. The President himself released the transcript of the call. Now the Democrats have no evidence of a crime and no evidence of violating the law. This is a kangaroo court in the House, but it’s going to go to the Senate,...

....it’s going to go nowhere. They are going to impeach not because they have the evidence, but because they hate the president. I think the American people know that this is a waste of time, this is Democrats putting on a circus.
@SenTedCruz interviewed by Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd
You didn't say "Simon says" "Trump tweets"! It doesn't count.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #734
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“The Democrats haven’t come up with a smocking gun. Nancy Pelosi, by raising this to the level of Impeachment, has raised the bar impossibly high. This comes after three years of nonstop investigations of Trump, the Russian collusion narrative, the Mueller Report, & now the.....

.....American people are supposed to believe that this simply isn’t a part of everthing they’ve been trying to do for the last three years? I think it is really a hard sell for Nancy Pelosi.” @DanHenninger The Wall Street Journal
Surely he did that on purpose?

Old Today, 06:59 AM   #735
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Nonsense. This impeachment fiasco has nothing to do with the law. They don't have a crime, and that is completely obvious to anyone who has been paying attention.
Extortion is a crime. Abuse of power is impeachable. Obstruction of justice is a crime. Lying to Congress and to the FBI is a crime.

Just because he's on your team doesn't mean you need to defend him.

Old Today, 07:00 AM   #736
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Pastor Rick Wiles calls impeachment a "Jew coup".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

TruNews has access to the White House press pool.
I really wish the Jews would get on with it and conquer the world already. This is taking entirely too long.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics