ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags stundie awards , stundie nominations

Old 1st June 2014, 02:59 PM   #81
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Online petition = atheist prayer.
This is news to me.
Old 1st June 2014, 04:05 PM   #82
freud
Scholar

Stole this one from /r/conspiratard.

freud is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2014, 09:16 PM   #83
Philosopher

Just ask them whether regular steel fractures. If they say yes, ask what the difference is between it and structural steel.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:49 AM   #84
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Easy. Structural Steel doesn't fracture of course.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2014, 06:52 PM   #85
Philosopher

Then you ask them why it doesn't fracture, and they either say "because it's structural steel", or get really squirrelly.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:11 PM   #86
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
This is news to me.
You cannot petition the Lord with prayer.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2014, 03:40 AM   #87
JoeB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
Then you ask them why it doesn't fracture, and they either say "because it's structural steel", or get really squirrelly.
Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.
Old 4th June 2014, 11:00 AM   #88
Philth53
Student

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
You cannot petition the Lord with prayer.
A lyric from The Doors The Soft Parade 1969. Cool!

Phil
Philth53 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2014, 02:11 PM   #89
Erock
Muse

You can't debunk stupidity?

http://letsrollforums.com/showpost.p...&postcount=271

"Thank you, maybe there is no better and simple way to explain why rockets CAN'T work in space.
Now, it seems to me this is an UNDEBUNKABLE point, hence my next question is:
WHY keep bothering arguing about the anomalies in the Apollo moon footage, the wrong shadows, the starless sky, how high the astronots would have jumped and all the rest of the space traveling hoax endless shenanigans?
Why don't we just stick to the simple undeniable truth that
ROCKETS CAN'T WORK IN SPACE?
What else do we need to prove that the whole space saga is a big budget Hollywood show? "

Too much stupid in one post
Old 5th June 2014, 06:11 PM   #90
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
You Have the right to claim ANY police officer is breaking the law at any time.
From Alx Alxander on this Menard video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb13avvbfAs

Yep, go ahead, and accuse a cop of breaking the law any time you want. Doesn't even have to be true, or even plausible, It's Yer Right!
Old 5th June 2014, 09:20 PM   #91
Bishop
Critical Thinker

And then he says:

Quote:
-I wish to remain silent until YOUR SUPERVISOR and or MY LAWYER are present. However I do not consent to legal Representation.
How very contradictory. He wants a lawyer but he doesn't want a lawyer?
Bishop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2014, 09:25 AM   #92
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Sounds like a 6th grade gotcha.

"I won't talk until I have a lawyer and I don't want a lawyer so NYAH!"

Travis is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2014, 11:59 AM   #93
Bishop
Critical Thinker

So I suppose we'll just keep this thread for all the June nominations as well? You could edit the title to say May/June. Anyway, there's a very funny discussion going on right now on Icke's in which a few people are insisting that in the recent Seattle false flag (of course it's a false flag), not only are Aaron Ybarra, the shooter, and Jon Meis, the guy who tackled him, crisis actors, but that they're actually one crisis actor. Yes, they think that Ybarra and Meis are the same person. It starts around here:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...post1062121997

Unfortunately, and I know I've expressed this concern before, but I don't know how to condense this into a simple, concise Stundie. That's why the pickings for Stundies have been so slim lately, not because there aren't a lot of idiots out there, but because their idiocy is so long-winded and reliant on "analyzing" images that it's just too clunky for Stundies. If I were a conspiracy nut myself, I might speculate that this shift to paragraphs rather than sentences of stupidity was done deliberately to thwart our attempts at making fun of them.
Bishop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2014, 07:35 AM   #94
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Quote:
Rockets don't work in a vacuum. Here's a test you can do at home to see why not:

Take a decent sized spring, place an relatively lightweight object on top of it, press the spring down onto the floor until it is fully compressed. Now let go of the spring and see how high the object is pushed into the air. If the spring hasn't pushed the object into the air find a combination of spring and object that works.

Now compress the spring again, in your hand, with the object on top. Hold the spring in the air and release it. Note how high the object is pushed into the air.

What just happened? The spring, when not pressing against the floor, is free to expand downwards, which it does because that requires much less energy than expanding upwards against the object sitting on top of it.

This is the same thing that happens when pressurized gas is released into a vacuum, say from a rocket traveling in space. As soon as the nozzle is opened the gas rushes out of rocket without pushing against the ship. When energy has the choice between pushing against something resisting it and taking an easy or free path it always chooses the free path. Think of how electricity always flows directly and immediately into conducting materials avoiding all others. Gas does the same thing, flowing immediately (at speeds of 2,000 m/s and more) into a vacuum, which offers no resistance.
http://letsrollforums.com/apollo-reb...t29994p27.html

The irony of his example is apparently lost on Boethius. If the rocket can push against the air, why can't the spring?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2014, 11:36 AM   #95
240-185
Muse

"They" control everything with "Married… with children". From a french forum :

Quote:
Il faut être très vigilant, bien des artistes soutiennent les illuminatis, et les films "Benjamin Gates" font tous pour les faire passer pour nos protecteurs... Alors, les gens aiment leurs idoles et n'acceptent pas qu'on puisse dénoncer leurs symboles maçonniques... Les FM ont toujours été très malins, il faut l'admettre, pour discréditer ceux qui voient clair dans leurs manoeuvres... L'une de leurs plus grandes réussites, selon moi (donc, si vous citez ce que je dis, mentionnez le lien de ce post pour droits d'auteur), c'est la comédie "Mariés, deux enfants" : tout le monde trouve la famille Bundy ridicule, débile... Donc, si l'on dit que les Bundy font partie de ceux qui contrôlent les états-unis, sont des caciques des illuminatis, les gens rigolent en pensant à Al Bundy... Vous comprenez donc, les illuminatis ont choisi de créer un personnage con en lui donnant le nom d'une puissance famille FM afin que toute personne parlant de cette famille FM soit considérée comme peu crédible : "Sérieux ! tu crois que Al Bundy dirige le monde ?" Evidemment, je n'ai jamais dit ça, mais une fois que je dis "Bundy", les gens sont tellement cons qu'ils ne comprennent pas ce que ça signifie...
Quote:
Be wary, lots of artists support the Illuminati, and many movies like "Benjamin Gates" are doing everything to make them our protectors. People love their idols and don't accept that masonic symbols could be pointed. Freemasons have always been clever, let's admit it, to discredit all those who clearly see their fiddlings. One of their gratest success, IMO (so, if you're quoting what I'm saying, mention the link to this post under copyright rules), is "Married… With Children": everybody thinks the Bundy family is ridiculous and delusional… Therefore, if it is said that the Bundys are part of those who control the USA, that they're caciques of the USA, people laugh thinking about Al Bundy. So, you understand that the illuminatis have chosen to create a dumb character by giving him the name of a powerful masonic family so that anyone talking about this family would be considered as not so credible. "Seriously! Do you think that Al Bundy is ruling the world?" Obviously, I never said that, but once I've said "Bundy", people are so dumb that they don't understand what that means…

My 9/11 Crackpot Index

Last edited by 240-185; 11th June 2014 at 01:21 PM.
240-185 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2014, 12:54 PM   #96
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by 240-185 View Post
"They" control everything with "Married… with children". From a french forum :
I can't read a word of French; and I think it says something that the English version was no more intelligible to me than the French one was.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2014, 05:49 PM   #97
Alareth
Philosopher

I love how he took the time to claim copyright on his ct crazy talk.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2014, 07:11 AM   #98
daggerstab
Student

It's not very spectacular, but probably counts as a Stundie:

A user at the Cosmoquest forums provides a nice example of equivocation:
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...55#post2220055

Quote:
(...) No. I did not say or imply the patent process was perfect in eliminating unworking inventions. You point to a few hunered cases of unworking patents. Even did they number in the thousabds Out of over 8,000,000 U.S. patents since 1776 that is a very small percentage. Still most were discovered with the legal process as soliciting for monies for unworking inventions under false pretenses is fraud unless the inventor sincerily belived his invention worked. The burden of proof is on the defrauded to prove the deception was dilebert. There in no statutory bar in patent against the patent office accepting and granting patents on antigravity, perpetual motion or even faster than light machines. Example The space craft Voyager will contue in motion perepetually as it has exceeded the solar escape velocity and will stay n motion perpetually unless acted on by outside force such as the galaxies gravatation force or it hits an object stopping it. Can you calculate when Voyager will stop moving? I cannot. In many cultures a helium filled balloon is an anti gravity device as it falls upward instead of downwards.

I do not let a few bad apples give me an excuse not to take all inventors serious Nor do I let those who have defrauded me of monies give me an excuse not to give as I have to give as I have monies to give. Nor should you.
The user's posts and general thought patterns make me suspect that not everything is well with him. In a previous thread he had described his "quantum powered supercomputer". Let's just say that it had nothing to do with quantum computing as usually understood.
daggerstab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2014, 12:44 PM   #99
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by daggerstab View Post
It's not very spectacular, but probably counts as a Stundie:

A user at the Cosmoquest forums provides a nice example of equivocation:
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...55#post2220055

The user's posts and general thought patterns make me suspect that not everything is well with him. In a previous thread he had described his "quantum powered supercomputer". Let's just say that it had nothing to do with quantum computing as usually understood.
As it happens I'm the same Garrison who was arguing with him at Cosmoquest. he originally claimed that having a patent was proof that the engine he was advocating was working tech. When I pointed out a lot of patents have been issued for unworkable devices he responded with the waffle.
Old 17th June 2014, 07:08 AM   #100
Bishop
Critical Thinker

It's not recent, but here's a silly post that's apparently trying to use philosophy to prove FOTL:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...post1058915547

Originally Posted by lesactive
What money?

What is money?

What is energy?

Is money energy?

Are you energy?

What kind of energy are you?

What kind of energy is money?

From where does money spring?

From where does the BC/SIN/TIN/BLA/BLA/BLA spring?
Old 18th June 2014, 08:59 AM   #101
carlitos
"más divertido"

BC/SIN/TIN/BLA/BLA/BLA ???
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2014, 10:06 AM   #102
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
BC/SIN/TIN/BLA/BLA/BLA ???
Birth Certificate

Social Insurance Number

Taxpayer Identification Number

BLA has me stumped. Basic Living Allowance? That might be something from the Sci Fi series I've been reading lately though.

That, or he's making a "blah blah blah" joke.
Old 18th June 2014, 10:29 PM   #103
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
BLA has me stumped. Basic Living Allowance? That might be something from the Sci Fi series I've been reading lately though.

That, or he's making a "blah blah blah" joke.
My personal favorite for BLA is Buffalo Lacrosse Academy.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2014, 01:14 AM   #104
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Basic Living Stipend...though that's a guess at the series you're reading...
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2014, 11:50 AM   #105
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
As it happens I'm the same Garrison who was arguing with him at Cosmoquest. he originally claimed that having a patent was proof that the engine he was advocating was working tech. When I pointed out a lot of patents have been issued for unworkable devices he responded with the waffle.
In the US, at least, the Patent Office which issues patents is not interested in whether a invention works or not. It is only interested in that it does not steal or is just a blatent imitation of a already held patent.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2014, 08:29 PM   #106
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the US, at least, the Patent Office which issues patents is not interested in whether a invention works or not.

Well, that's not exactly right. There is a requirement for "utility", which means it has to do something useful. The problem is, the definition of "something useful" has been watered down quite a bit, and the examiners are severely restricted in what they can do to counter bogus claims of the technology "working".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_%28patent%29

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/s2107.html

Quote:
Thus, Langer and subsequent cases direct the Office to presume that a statement of utility made by an applicant is true. See In re Langer, 503 F.2d at 1391, 183 USPQ at 297; In re Malachowski, 530 F.2d 1402, 1404, 189 USPQ 432, 435 (CCPA 1976); In re Brana, 51 F.3d 1560, 34 USPQ2d 1436 (Fed. Cir. 1995). For obvious reasons of efficiency and in deference to an applicant’s understanding of his or her invention, when a statement of utility is evaluated, Office personnel should not begin by questioning the truth of the statement of utility. Instead, any inquiry must start by asking if there is any reason to question the truth of the statement of utility.
Quote:
A preponderance of the evidence exists when it suggests that it is more likely than not that the assertion in question is true. Hermanv.Huddleston, 459 U.S. 375, 390 (1983). To do this, Office personnel must provide evidence sufficient to show that the statement of asserted utility would be considered “false” by a person of ordinary skill in the art. Of course, a person of ordinary skill must have the benefit of both facts and reasoning in order to assess the truth of a statement. This means that if the applicant has presented facts that support the reasoning used in asserting a utility, Office personnel must present countervailing facts and reasoning sufficient to establish that a person of ordinary skill would not believe the applicant’s assertion of utility. In re Brana, 51 F.3d 1560, 34 USPQ2d 1436 (Fed. Cir. 1995).
Old 20th June 2014, 02:23 AM   #107
MetalPig
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
I would pay good money to see buffalo play lacrosse.
Old 20th June 2014, 09:53 AM   #108
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Exactly!
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2014, 04:59 PM   #109
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Indians vs the cavalry riding buffaloes yes!
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2014, 11:19 PM   #110
FenerFan
Illuminator

Wait...I thought we were the LAB, Lacrosse Academy of Buffalo.
Old 22nd June 2014, 08:48 AM   #111
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Wait...I thought we were the LAB, Lacrosse Academy of Buffalo.
No, that's the cross-town rival.

ETA: Happy birthday, FenerFan!
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:10 PM   #112
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Not sure about the conspiracy theory angle, although one might argue an apparent conspiracy on the part of gays to eradicate humanity altogether. The stupid speaks for itself:
Quote:
Thursday's crowd outside the Capitol was diverse and multilingual. The Huffington Post spoke to attendees from all over the country, many of whom had begun traveling as early as 1 a.m. to be there. Some came on buses organized by their churches; some carpooled with family or friends. They offered a multitude of reasons for why they felt they should attend the rally -- and why they think same-sex marriage is a threat to America and possibly humankind.

"How are we supposed to reproduce in this nation if it's a man with a man and a woman with a woman?" asked Catherine Andujar of New York, who came to D.C. with members of her church.

Andujar said states that have passed same-sex marriage laws are "blinded by the enemy" and "didn't think twice about the human race." Asked about the idea of gay couples adopting children, she paused, but then said she didn't like that idea either.

"That child won't have a chance to live the way God intended us to live," Andujar said. "They will just keep the chain going and going. It will lead to no human race [or] reproduction."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ref=gay-voices

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:20 AM   #113
River Song
New Blood

Quote:
"How are we supposed to reproduce in this nation if it's a man with a man and a woman with a woman?" asked Catherine Andujar of New York, who came to D.C. with members of her church.
Do they think it will be compulsory to marry someone of the same sex?
River Song is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 03:42 AM   #114
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by River Song View Post
A lot of them think that homosexuals are part of a massive global conspiracy to make everyone gay, so...yes.
Once same sex marriage becomes legal, it's a short slippery slope to it becoming mandatory. Similar to how it will also lead to legalized bestiality, incest, pedophilia, etc.

A different crackpot conspiracy theory: Monster brand energy drink is part of a Satanic conspiracy to undermine Christianity and introduce demonic forces into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 05:03 AM   #115
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
A lot of them think that homosexuals are part of a massive global conspiracy to make everyone gay, so...yes.
Once same sex marriage becomes legal, it's a short slippery slope to it becoming mandatory. Similar to how it will also lead to legalized bestiality, incest, pedophilia, etc.

I once defined tyranny as being a state in which "Anything that is not forbidden is mandatory." The fact that these people (subconsciously, at least) believe that SSM will become mandatory suggests something about what sort of vision of the world they hold.

Quote:
A different crackpot conspiracy theory: Monster brand energy drink is part of a Satanic conspiracy to undermine Christianity and introduce demonic forces into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual.

I saw that last week. After watching the movie "The Wolverine" on Netflix this weekend, I realized he was leaving hidden 666s all over the place!
Old 23rd June 2014, 05:30 AM   #116
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think they ever get as far as actual "thinking"; "oooh, ick!!!!" is an emotion, not an idea.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:41 PM   #117
Biscuit
Philosopher

Apparently science is a catch 22.

Quote:
Another point I have to make, science by definition is knowledge, and a correct understanding of most science is out of the realm of possibility of the majority of people in this world. Simply put most people are retarded and don't understand science even when it is explained to them like a child.

However "climate change" seems to be one discipline that apparently any layman armed with a stupid graph can understand. The truth is if the science of climate change was that simple that any layman could truly understand it we all would have come to an agreement probably long ago about the issue, or the other possibility is that it probably means "climate change" wasn't science at all.
If you understand the science it isn't science at all. Science is only science when you don't understand it... or something.

link
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:00 PM   #118
hgus
Critical Thinker

Red herrings are not what they used to be!

Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
A now-suspended troll twitter account whose other insightful tweets included "I wanna suck your **** with my hijab on", "let me suck your little arab ****. I am in the mood for some burnt kebabs", "**** me till my hijab flies off", "My third cousin Jamal just arrived from Pakistan. Gunna give him a ******* [a slang term for oral sex in the original tweet] as a welcoming gift", and "My favourate verse in the Quran is the one where Mohammed eats ass"? The one with a related account, @Maryam_Horran65, also now suspended, which had a similar penchant for apparently-unsolicited ****-related tweets to people?

Wow, I guess it's a good thing you don't have a signature extolling the virtues of skepticism and didn't just call out another poster for not remembering that they were on a skeptical forum, otherwise this epic skepticism fail on your part could have been really awkward and embarrassing for you.
Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
You bring up irrelevant red herrings. Please comment on the obvious harm religious thinking can do, which was the intention of my post.
hgus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:17 PM   #119
catsmate
No longer the 1

Even Oscar Wilde fathered two sons...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:51 PM   #120
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Even Oscar Wilde fathered two sons...

Cat Cora (the professional TV chef) and her wife have four children. In the case of two of them, each of them carried the other's fertilized egg to term so that both of them would have a legal claim to both children, just in case someone decided that their marriage wasn't valid any more.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories