ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dark matter , quantum , quantum mechanics

Old 11th September 2019, 05:55 PM   #441
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
I've given you the answer to the problem. You have to work back from it to get the math. This isn't my field, I'm a code writer. I suggest you make your friend read this entire thread and see if she can derive an equation from it.
lol
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 05:57 PM   #442
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

The problem I answered is "Where is the bridge between large and small?"
Sure you did Joe. Sure you did.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:00 PM   #443
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

I'm reinventing duality and uncertainty
Go for it! I'm pretty sure the patents have expired by now...
Old 11th September 2019, 06:02 PM   #444
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I said it before. Quantum physics is literally made of math. If you want to get anywhere in the field, you need to master the math.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:04 PM   #445
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I have what the math will end up describing
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:05 PM   #446
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down "Where is the bridge between large and small?" gibberish

The problem I answered is "Where is the bridge between large and small?"
12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: "Where is the bridge between large and small?" gibberish
Stories ignorant about physics are not an answer to any problem in physics.

There is no such problem in physics. The "bridge between small and large" is QM (the theory of small things and scales) becoming classical physics (the theory of large things and scales).
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:09 PM   #447
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Prove it.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:14 PM   #448
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

A "I have what the math will end up describing" delusion

12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "I have what the math will end up describing" delusion.

What you have posted in this thread are rather incoherent stories that are ignorant about physics. There cannot be any math describing what you imagine.
You have admitted that you are incapable of turning your stories into math. Everyone who has learned physics and math reading the stories will dismiss them as fiction so no math from anyone else.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:21 PM   #449
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

No one wants to accept that the final panel doesn't count even though that's what the evidence shows. Go ahead and keep your head in the sand.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:36 PM   #450
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "what the evidence shows" lie about the double slit experiment screen

No one wants to accept that the final panel doesn't count even though that's what the evidence shows.
12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "what the evidence shows" lie about the double slit experiment screen.

An obvious lie because the point of the experiment is to detect where particles end up on that screen ! The screen literally counts particles and their positions.
A lie because he has presented no evidence from physics showing that the double slit experiment screen doesn't count.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:41 PM   #451
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

the evidence is that the state of the particles are not influenced by the final panel while moving.

If you have to rely on the final panel for anything, it means the particle was a wave experiment. It wasn't quantum observed.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 11th September 2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:44 PM   #452
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "state of the particles do not change while moving if the panel is not there" lie

the evidence is that the state of the particles do not change while moving if the panel is not there
12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "what the evidence shows" lie about the double slit experiment screen.
12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "state of the particles do not change while moving if the panel is not there" evidence lie.

A lie because he has presented no such evidence.
A partial lie because that is not what experiments showing the state of the particles changing in flight really do. Wheeler's delayed choice experiment shows that particles change how they act ("change state') after they pass through the slits by replacing the screen. Etc.

Last edited by Reality Check; 11th September 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:45 PM   #453
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

no, you don't get to say that this time.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:57 PM   #454
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "state of the particles do not change while moving if the panel is not there" evidence lie.

Maybe labeling these as lies is wrong. Given the deep level of ignorance of physics shown elsewhere, could pittsburghjoe not know the meaning of evidence in physics?
Evidence is not what people imagine and write down in stories - that is called fiction.
Evidence is a theory making testable, falsifiable predictions and experiments that test those predictions with actual measurements.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:08 PM   #455
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

The evidence is in existing experiments. I don't have to write an equation to state that.

After you accept what I said, it will slowly sink in that uncertainty is for waves and duality is not at the same time.

I imagine you are pissing your pants right about now.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 11th September 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:16 PM   #456
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

The evidence is in existing experiments. I don't have to write an equation to state that.
If the existing experiments confirm predictions for the existing models and you reject those models then of course you have to provide new equations.

I don't get how you don't get that.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:18 PM   #457
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

If I can say "hey dummies, you haven't been considering something". I am not obligated to write a new equation. I'm fine with them just being dead now.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:23 PM   #458
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

If I can say "hey dummies, you haven't been considering something". I am not obligated to write a new equation. I'm fine with them just being dead now.
The something that hasn't been considered has to be in the form of an equation. That's how it works.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th September 2019, 07:24 PM   #459
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

No one wants to accept that the final panel doesn't count even though that's what the evidence shows. Go ahead and keep your head in the sand.
I love how these guys attempt to become more and more cocky the more it becomes obvious that their "theory" has fallen apart and into an embarrassing heap.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:25 PM   #460
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The something that hasn't been considered has to be in the form of an equation. That's how it works.

Apparently not, I just did it.

and you are not getting that I benefit from their deaths

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 11th September 2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:27 PM   #461
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I let you guys beat me up a bit, but then I realized I really do have something here. It's not going away just because some trolls wanted to have some fun.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:31 PM   #462
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I can see we have considered everything you have put forward and questioned you about all of them very closely. You didn't respond well to being questioned.

You are not bringing up your misunderstanding about the final panel in the double-slit experiment again are you? We already went over that.

So what exactly is it that you think we are not considering?

Last edited by Robin; 11th September 2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:35 PM   #463
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

the evidence is that the state of the particles are not influenced by the final panel while moving.

If you have to rely on the final panel for anything, it means the particle was a wave experiment. It wasn't quantum observed.
I don't think you grasped the weight of it the first time around. Surely you are not claiming to have knocked it down?

Two very important deaths happened because of me.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 11th September 2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:35 PM   #464
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I let you guys beat me up a bit, but then I realized I really do have something here.
Sure you do Joe. Sure you do.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:38 PM   #465
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think you grasped the weight of it the first time around. Surely you are not claiming to have knocked it down?
I am not aware of you having put anything up in the first place.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:40 PM   #466
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Yeah, nah.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:41 PM   #467
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Sure they did Joe, sure they did.

You don't have any maths, can't even give a high level description of how it is all supposed to work, but you have killed duality and uncertainty.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:43 PM   #468
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I don't need a f'n equation when I have experimental evidence (existing experiments) ..showing what I said about the final panel. They are dead ..deal with it.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:44 PM   #469
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Apparently not, I just did it.
No... no you didn't. If you had, it would have been in the form of an equation. It wasn't, therefore you didn't.

Quantum physics is made of math. If you want to claim that it's wrong, you have to use math to do so. If you want to replace it with something of your own, you have to use math to do so. Until you master the math, you're just not doing quantum physics.

and you are not getting that I benefit from their deaths
...whose deaths now?

*backs away slowly*

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th September 2019, 07:46 PM   #470
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I don't need a f'n equation when I have experimental evidence (existing experiments) ..showing what I said about the final panel.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:46 PM   #471
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I don't want them to exist in the first place. I don't need an equation to replace them. They were dumb.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:46 PM   #472
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Basically you are claiming the success of your theory based on a misunderstanding you have about the double-slit experiment, even after that thing had been explained to you.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:47 PM   #473
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The evidence is in existing experiments.

No existing experiment supports his fantasy that particles "know" the future (implying intelligent particles with crystal balls !) when they are created.

ETA: What really makes this a fantasy is the thread title. His story does not kill the uncertainty principle or wave-particle duality and has nothing to do with his "theory of everything" fantasy. He has particles deciding on whether to be act as a wave or a particle on creation - that is essentially wave-particle duality !

Here is my little fiction that is as valid as his! A particle sees a "final panel" (the final panel he states does not count!) in its future so it acts as a wave going through both slits and ends up in the final panel. Somehow the next particle sees the final panel and the path of the previous particle, acts as a wave going through both slits along a different path and ends up in the final panel. Ditto for each particle until an interference pattern is formed.
Repeat the experiment changing to detecting which slit each particles goes thru. Now the particle crystal balls see that they will be seen gong thru the slits. Being shy creatures they now act as particles.

Last edited by Reality Check; 11th September 2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:49 PM   #474
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

What misunderstanding?
Old 11th September 2019, 07:51 PM   #475
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I don't want them to exist in the first place. I don't need an equation to replace them. They were dumb.
Yeah, who needs mathematics for physics?
Old 11th September 2019, 07:52 PM   #476
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

It was missing one of the realms. It was pointless.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:53 PM   #477
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

What misunderstanding?
Your misunderstanding about the role of the back panel in the standard double-slit experiment.

You seemed to be under the impression that someone was saying that the back panel in the standard double-slit experiment alters the path of the particle.

I thought we had gone over that already.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:54 PM   #478
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

jesus christ, I give up
Old 11th September 2019, 08:14 PM   #479
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Vague post but looks like a delusion and/or lie about QM

It was missing one of the realms. It was pointless.
12 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Vague post but looks like a delusion and/or lie about QM.

This "realm" nonsense could be the "realms" of QM and GR. QM is a theory of mechanics that excludes gravitation. Saying that QM is pointless is as deluded as saying that Newton's laws of motion are pointless because Newton's law of gravitation is a separate "realm".

The lie is that QM is pointless. The Standard Model of particle physics explains the real world quite accurately (it has some flaws) - QM has the point that it makes sense of the real world! Science is a process - QM has the point of being a step on the way to an actual theory of everything. The computer he is writing his posts on is evidence that QM is not pointless!

Last edited by Reality Check; 11th September 2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:14 PM   #480
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Don't give up. Show the correction in the math and make your story a theory.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology