ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dark matter , quantum , quantum mechanics

Old 12th September 2019, 06:00 PM   #601
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A fantasy about quantum wave "structure" preventing tunneling

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
...If they had structure, they would never tunnel or fit in in holes that are smaller than their size.
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A fantasy about quantum wave "structure" preventing tunneling.

First year physics students at university solve Schrodinger's equation for particles in potential wells and see that the "quantum waves" have structure. These derivations are easily found.
Particle in a box (infinite potential well) (quantum waves with the structure of sine waves.
Finite potential well has quantum waves with the structure of sine waves inside the box and decreasing exponentials outside of the box. That is gives tunneling!
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:00 PM   #602
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Any answer on this?
an electron can be physical
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:01 PM   #603
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade. I want you to tell my why you think you haven't convinced even a single person in 5 years.
have you been on the internet before?
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:01 PM   #604
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I take it you want to rain on my parade? You want to claim physicality for waves? Go ahead, I was expecting it from one of you.
A parade takes more than one participant.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:02 PM   #605
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

have you been on the internet before?
And the reason you think you haven't convinced anyone is...?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:04 PM   #606
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I'm flipping physics on its head here. It's not exactly considered with opened arms.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:08 PM   #607
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I take it you want to rain on my parade? You want to claim physicality for waves? Go ahead, I was expecting it from one of you.
Nothing we are saying depends on this question.

Quantum physics does not depend on this question.

Killing wave/physical duality has no effect on quantum physics because wave/physical duality (whatever you think you mean by that) isn't in quantum physics.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:08 PM   #608
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I'm flipping physics on it's head here. It's not exactly considered with opened arms.
Did you do that while whipping your weight in wild cats, Or while you tree'd a bear?

I dig funny fairy tales. You've got a bunch.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:09 PM   #609
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

an electron can be physical
The question was "When you saw an electron, what did it look like? How big was it?"
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:10 PM   #610
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Idiocy of trying to "convince the internet" about his wave fantasies

I've literally spent 5 years trying to convince the internet that waves are not physical.
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Idiocy of trying to "convince the internet" about his wave fantasies.

Main idiocy of trying to "convince the internet" when science is established by convincing scientists.
Minor idiocy of not understanding that 5 years of beating a horse suggests that he is beating a dead horse ! He is saying that he is persisting with his stories after 5 years of not being able to convince people on the internet that they are valid.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:10 PM   #611
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Nothing we are saying depends on this question.

Quantum physics does not depend on this question.

Killing wave/physical duality has no effect on quantum physics because wave/physical duality (whatever you think you mean by that) isn't in quantum physics.
just give arthwollipot a minute
Old 12th September 2019, 06:11 PM   #612
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

The question was "When you saw an electron, what did it look like? How big was it?"
I owned a CRT monitor ..what are you getting at?
Old 12th September 2019, 06:13 PM   #613
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I'm flipping physics on its head here. It's not exactly considered with opened arms.
No, you are killing a thing you made up called "wave/physical" duality and claiming to have killed it somehow

This does not affect physics in any way because the concept does not form any part of physics.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:15 PM   #614
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I owned a CRT monitor ..what are you getting at?
Answer the questions and you will see. What did the electron look like? How big was it?
Old 12th September 2019, 06:15 PM   #615
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

So, before you can kill these things, we have to agree for "waves are not physical and particles are physical" to be added to quantum physics. Right?
I would first get his definition of a "wave". Is he using something like a water wave? An electromagnetic wave? A gravitational wave? Something else? What his "wave" waving in?

His "particle" is hopefully the textbook definition.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:16 PM   #616
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

No, you are killing a thing you made up called "wave/physical" duality and claiming to have killed it somehow

This does not affect physics in any way because the concept does not form any part of physics.

I like your optimism. I don't care as long as something doesn't get in the way of my realms.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:16 PM   #617
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I have owned many CRT monitors but I have never seen an electron.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:18 PM   #618
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Electrons are little red balls with "minus" signs on them aren't they?
Old 12th September 2019, 06:21 PM   #619
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Revolutionary ideas can and do gain traction in the world of physics. Quantum uncertainty and quantum duality were two such revolutionary ideas that encountered great resistance in the scientific community at the time. Einstein himself was certain that quantum mechanics could not be correct, saying Die Quantenmechanik ist sehr achtung-gebietend. Aber eine innere Stimme sagt mir, daß das doch nicht der wahre Jakob ist. Die Theorie liefert viel, aber dem Geheimnis des Alten bringt sie uns kaum näher. Jedenfalls bin ich überzeugt, daß der nicht würfelt.

'Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the "old one." I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice.'

But eventually, a few at a time, people came around to understand that QM was an accurate model of the universe. It made testable predictions that when tested turned out to be correct.

So I ask you again. Why do you think no-one has been convinced by your argument?

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #620
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Because there weren't going to bother with a nobody telling them to set up a tunneling experiment with detectors on both sides of the barrier
Old 12th September 2019, 06:27 PM   #621
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Because there weren't going to bother with a nobody telling them to set up a tunneling experiment with detectors on both sides of the barrier
If you had a truly revolutionary idea, don't you think they would bother?

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th September 2019, 06:28 PM   #622
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

They dgaf, no one does
Old 12th September 2019, 06:30 PM   #623
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

They dgaf, no one does
Why do you think that might be the case?

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th September 2019, 06:31 PM   #624
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

to them, it's impossible for a nobody to have an idea
Old 12th September 2019, 06:32 PM   #625
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Do you really think that? Einstein was a lowly patent clerk before he revolutionised our understanding of physics. A nobody. Why did Einstein succeed where you have not?

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th September 2019, 06:34 PM   #626
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think every famous scientist began life famous?
Old 12th September 2019, 06:35 PM   #627
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

He didn't have to deal with this BS https://arxiv.org/help/endorsement
Old 12th September 2019, 06:37 PM   #628
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Why do you think arXiv has those endorsement rules?

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th September 2019, 06:38 PM   #629
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Isn't this basically pilot wave theory (which is over 90 years old), with the pilot waves scribbled out and "the emitter/path just knows because it can peer through space and even time... itself!" written in? And no math?
Old 12th September 2019, 06:39 PM   #630
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Why do you think arXiv has those endorsement rules?
You are crossing the line to troll now
Old 12th September 2019, 06:41 PM   #631
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Isn't this basically pilot wave theory (which is over 90 years old), with the pilot waves scribbled out and "the emitter/path just knows because it can peer through space and even time... itself!" written in? And no math?
I considered this, but then realized that the path isn't being scouted. What matters is if the wave changes state while alive.

The state is set before it starts moving.

The unobserved realm is all time, all the time.

I guess this means observation isn't as important as I once thought.

Placing a detector in the path is just one of several avenues to cause observation (state change)

A wave changing state from a detector must be different than a wave collapsing on the final panel

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:58 PM   #632
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Wrong. They have bothered with "nobodies" that have presented credible theories and actual experiments to test them.

They do not bother with nobodies who display ignorance of their subject, present an obviously invalid theory (e.g. a "theory of everything" that has no QM or GR in it!) and has no idea what an experiment is.

Of course there is the usual ignorance. Quantum tunneling: "Tunnelling occurs with barriers of thickness around 1–3 nm and smaller,[18] but is the cause of some important macroscopic physical phenomena.". It may be physically impossible to have detectors on both sides of the barrier. However those important macroscopic physical phenomena tell us that tunneling is happening.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:00 PM   #633
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You are crossing the line to troll now
I'm serious. Why do you think arXiv has those rules? If you can't answer this question, you have no basis to label it BS.

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th September 2019, 07:00 PM   #634
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Waves are allowed to tunnel
Old 12th September 2019, 07:01 PM   #635
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I'm serious. Why do you think arXiv has those rules? If you can't answer this question, you have no basis to label it BS.
It's "the man" keepin' me down
Old 12th September 2019, 07:18 PM   #636
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Idiocy about arxiv and the arxiv endorsement system

13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Idiocy about arxiv and the arxiv endorsement system.

arXiv is a convenience for real scientists. arXiv allows scientists to inform other scientists quicker about the scientific papers that they are about to publish. The endorsement system was introduced in 2004 partially because of too many pseudoscience pre-prints being submitted.

There is nothing to deal with for a competent person. The first time that they submit a pre-print in a subject area, they ask an established arXiv author to endorse that their paper is on that subject area. There can be automatic endorsement for authors with academic credentials. That is all !

This is a rational decision to make the job of the arXiv moderators easier.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:19 PM   #637
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Yes, let me sign up to school and be in debt for the rest of my life.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:21 PM   #638
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "Waves are allowed to tunnel" delusion since particles tunnel

Waves are allowed to tunnel
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "Waves are allowed to tunnel" delusion since particles tunnel.

Quantum tunneling
Quote:
Quantum tunnelling or tunneling (see spelling differences) is the quantum mechanical phenomenon where a subatomic particle passes through a potential barrier.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:33 PM   #639
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Lies about arXiv and the arXiv endorsement system

Yes, let me sign up to school and be in debt for the rest of my life.
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Lies about arXiv and the arXiv endorsement system.

The arXiv endorsement system is explained in the page he lined to. He does not need to go to school other than to fix the deep level of ignorance of physics he has displayed here!

Anyone can submit just about anything to arXiv. What academic credentials do is make it easier to submit the first preprint in a category because there can be (not will be) automatic endorsement for the first pre-print submitted.
Endorsement makes sure that the subject of the first preprint fits the submission's subject area. A biology preprint does not belong in a solid state physics area, etc. .
Endorsement makes sure that the subject of the first preprint is of interest to current research. A QM preprint (that is a not a review) rehashing what researcher already know is not of interest.

ETA: Moderation is different. Moderators check for papers with inappropriate formatting or topic, papers in need of “significant review and revision”, or concerns over copyright, duplicated submissions or multiple postings in quick succession and being human occasionally make errors as in that article (looks like a moderator peer-reviewed the paper which they are not supposed to do).

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:37 PM   #640
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's "the man" keepin' me down
Now I suspect you're no longer being serious. Think about it for a while, would you? Please?

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology