ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dark matter , quantum , quantum mechanics

Old 12th November 2019, 02:07 PM   #2001
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Usual ignorant delusions about cosmology

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: Usual ignorant delusions about cosmology.

Hubble's law and constant.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 02:07 PM   #2002
JeanTate
Illuminator

I like the part where the expanding spacetime doesn't bother anything
But it does. In pittsburghjoe-cosmology. It messes with distances.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 02:09 PM   #2003
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Usual ignorant "GR is only in Spacetime" delusion

.. .
13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: Usual ignorant "GR is only in Spacetime" delusion.
All textbook physics uses spacetime (is "in spacetime") !
  1. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: A blatant "QM and GR are fine in my book" lie (see the thread title!)
  2. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: His ignorant "original sphere of spacetime" delusion when spacetime is not a sphere and includes the entire universe.
  3. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: Insanity of "voids = nothingness = devoid of spacetime = only the quantum field"
  4. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: Insanity of "Are you grasping that Dark Energy is a lie" when dark energy is the measured acceleration of the expansion of the universe.
    He is accusing astronomers of lying!
    He is accusing himself of lying since he wrote "QM and GR are fine in my book" and GR's cosmological constant is an mechanism for dark energy.
  5. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: "The boundary is a physical state." gibberish.
  6. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: "...Wait 10 minutes and measure the same two galaxies again." insanity.
    We can measure the distance between us and galaxies. We can then calculate using standard astronomy (not his delusions) a distance between 2 of those galaxies. The insanity is "Wait 10 minutes" when the wait may be millions of years before a change in position is greater then the accuracy of our measurements and calculations.
  7. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "I have to own the equipment to have a new idea? " delusion.
    Astronomers do not generally own their equipment ! An astronomer using the Hubble telescope does not own it.
  8. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: Stupidity of a voids link when we do not say that voids do not exist.
    There's a Huge Void Near Our Galaxy. Its Mysterious Depths Have Just Been Measured
    This is a recent study on the well known Local Void discovered in 1987.
  9. 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe:A deluded "I like the part where the expanding spacetime doesn't bother anything." lie when we have been stating that expanding spacetime "bothers" everything from atoms to galaxies!

He cited There's a Huge Void Near Our Galaxy. Its Mysterious Depths Have Just Been Measured
    Quote:
    The lead author of this new study is R. Brent Tully, of the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy (IfA.) Tully and the rest of the team responsible for the study got around that obstacle by observing the motions of galaxies, and then inferring the distribution of mass responsible for the motion.

That motion is not only due to gravity, but also the expansion of the Universe. The team behind the study uses the motion of galaxies to not only infer the mass distribution, but also to construct three-dimensional maps of our neighbourhood of the Universe.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th November 2019 at 02:38 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 02:10 PM   #2004
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: A new "The Hubble constant has a reliable means of being measured now" delusion.

The Hubble constant has been reliably measured for almost 100 years !
He is ignorant and deluded about cosmology and so cannot have any method for measuring the Hubble constant.

Sure I do, we just need to measure the distance across cosmic voids a couple times.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 02:13 PM   #2005
JeanTate
Illuminator

Sure I do, we just need to measure the distance across cosmic voids a couple times.
And how do you, pittsburghjoe, measure those distances?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 02:14 PM   #2006
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I ask someone like you to do it for me.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 02:22 PM   #2007
JeanTate
Illuminator

I ask someone like you to do it for me.
OK.

But I cannot.

Why?

Because I do not understand pittsburghjoe-physics.

Nor do I have a pittsburghjoe-physics textbook.

So it would seem that you, pittsburghjoe, are the only person who can make estimates of those distances.

Maybe you could start by outlining one or two methods?
Old 12th November 2019, 02:24 PM   #2008
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

You're just playing dumb

I don't care what method you use.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:29 PM   #2009
JeanTate
Illuminator

You're just playing dumb

I don't care what method you use.
What a surprise!

You may not care.

But I do.

If I do not understand pittsburghjoe-physics, which I don’t, I cannot even begin to know how to make estimates of extra-galactic distances.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:33 PM   #2010
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

ohh silly ole me can't figure out how to make a simple measurement without specific instructions on how to point a telescope

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th November 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:39 PM   #2011
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

https://www.axios.com/space-hubble-c...b4efd9f78.html

They can't agree because they don't know what we know.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:43 PM   #2012
JeanTate
Illuminator

ohh silly ole me can't figure out how to make a simple measurement without specific instructions on how to point a telescope
Really?

Please explain, using pittsburghjoe-physics, how to measure (or estimate) the distance to a galaxy (other than our own) if all you know are its (RA, Dec) coordinates.
Old 12th November 2019, 03:02 PM   #2013
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Something pittsburghjoe definitely cannot figure out is that even his delusions have consequences! This delusion comes in 2 parts
  1. The universe expands in voids.
  2. The universe does not expand outside of voids, e.g. in superclusters.
If we just measure voids expanding that confirms standard cosmology which predicts that voids will expand . To distinguish between standard cosmology and his delusions he has to make a prediction for the rate of void expansion that is different from standard cosmology.

A rational person would look at these 2 cases and not pick the first case as a test. Finding that superclusters did not expand as in standard cosmology would support his delusions. N.B. It would also support any other alternative cosmologies or delusions that include the same effect!
Old 12th November 2019, 03:04 PM   #2014
JeanTate
Illuminator

To readers other than pittsburghjoe: spectroscopy is widely used in astronomy. One emission line (actually a doublet) used to estimate redshift is [OIII] 500.7nm and 495.9nm. My, very limited, understanding of pittsburghjoe-physics is that this “forbidden” doublet is impossible (unphysical, whatever). Certainly no one has observed this doublet in any lab here on Earth. So, in pittsburghjoe-astronomy, how can you use something which cannot exist as part of a technique to estimate extra-galactic distances?
Old 12th November 2019, 04:02 PM   #2015
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

You are really reaching, a super reach
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 9.

Double emission lines are impossible? what? I'm fine with redshift happening.

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th November 2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 04:11 PM   #2016
JeanTate
Illuminator

You are really reaching, a super reach
Edited for rule 9.

Double emission lines are impossible? what? I'm fine with redshift happening.
Please re-read what I actually wrote.

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th November 2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 04:39 PM   #2017
JeanTate
Illuminator

Quote from the past (just weeks ago in fact).

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
With these guys I always wonder who it is they think they are fooling?
My totally subjective opinion is that the OP has fooled no one ...
Old 12th November 2019, 04:44 PM   #2018
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I'm not trying to fool anyone, I want answers to the big questions. You want to clench onto your books that haven't provided the answer.
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th November 2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 04:55 PM   #2019
JeanTate
Illuminator

I'm not trying to fool anyone, I want answers to the big questions. You want to clench onto your books that haven't provided the answer.
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
So how do you, pittsburghjoe, determine the distance to a galaxy (other than the Milky Way)?

As you can tell I’ve been re-reading this thread. I have yet to see any mathematics from you. Why?

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th November 2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:02 PM   #2020
JeanTate
Illuminator

I don't think there should be a speed limit on unobserved light. Observed light has a speed limit due to spacetime.
In pittsburghjoe-physics, light traveling through a void is unobserved light. So it can cross a void - no matter how large or small - in no time at all. Cool!
Old 12th November 2019, 05:05 PM   #2021
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

yeah it can, good luck observing it though.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:15 PM   #2022
JeanTate
Illuminator

yeah it can, good luck observing it though.
Been there, done that, got a T-shirt.

Psst, don’t tell anyone, but the magic word is .... CMB
Old 12th November 2019, 05:25 PM   #2023
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

I got an idea that everyone is going to hate:

The Big Bang was 2D, Cosmic Inflation was in an existing 2D quantum realm. The Reheating after Inflation was a singularity that ballooned with the soul purpose of observing ..handing out physical state and making the universe 3D as it enlarges. As it continues today, the voids it consumes get redistributed throughout/between the spacetime filaments of the cosmic web.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th November 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:36 PM   #2024
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation Insane gibberish about a 2D Big Bang when the universe is 4D

Correct: 13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: Insane gibberish about a 2D Big Bang when the universe is 4D !

Three (3) dimensions of space + one (1) dimension of time = four (4) dimensions of spacetime.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th November 2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:37 PM   #2025
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

lol
Old 12th November 2019, 05:37 PM   #2026
JeanTate
Illuminator

The Big Bang was 2D, Cosmic Inflation was in an existing 2D quantum realm. The Reheating after Inflation was a singularity that ballooned with the soul purpose of observing ..handing out physical state and making the universe 3D as it enlarges. As it continues today, the voids it consumes get redistributed throughout/between the spacetime filaments of the cosmic web.
Not even low quality science fiction.

But I do like “soul purpose”
Old 12th November 2019, 05:43 PM   #2027
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
In pittsburghjoe-physics, light traveling through a void is unobserved light. So it can cross a void - no matter how large or small - in no time at all. Cool!
In pittsburghjoe-physics, we do not live in this universe !

Cosmological redshift is the wavelength of light getting longer as it travels due to spacetime expanding.
No expansion outside of voids = light does not redshift there.
Only expansion inside voids and light crosses voids instantly = light does not redshift there!
Old 12th November 2019, 06:00 PM   #2028
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

This is my argument for a 2D beginning https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...ant-structures
Old 12th November 2019, 06:15 PM   #2029
phunk
Illuminator

The ignorance in thinking that we can measure expansion on a cosmic scale by measuring a distance, waiting a bit, and measuring again, is quite astounding.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:19 PM   #2030
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Someone is doing it? How else do we get the reports of light speed separation?
Old 12th November 2019, 07:07 PM   #2031
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A blatant lie of evidence for some 2D Big Bang insanity (the universe is 4D)

13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: A blatant lie of evidence for some 2D Big Bang insanity (the universe is 4D).

There’s Growing Evidence That the Universe Is Connected by Giant Structures is about the real 4D universe.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:12 PM   #2032
JeanTate
Illuminator

Take two galaxies that are on the opposite sides of a void and measure the distance. Wait 10 minutes and measure the same two galaxies again.
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
The ignorance in thinking that we can measure expansion on a cosmic scale by measuring a distance, waiting a bit, and measuring again, is quite astounding.
Astonishing as it may seem, pittsburghjoe is sorta correct (but only if GR rules, not pittsburghjoe-physics).

I have read a paper where just this is proposed (well, not just); I'll see if I can dig it up if anyone is interested. From memory: more like 10 or 20 years; ferociously difficult technically; but may be possible with hoped-for-new-equipment on the proposed OWL (or perhaps EELT), which is a good decade or two away ...
Old 12th November 2019, 07:20 PM   #2033
JeanTate
Illuminator

In pittsburghjoe-physics, we do not live in this universe !

Cosmological redshift is the wavelength of light getting longer as it travels due to spacetime expanding.
No expansion outside of voids = light does not redshift there.
Only expansion inside voids and light crosses voids instantly = light does not redshift there!
If, like me, you go over what was posted in the first ~20 pages of this thread, and also in the last several days, you'll find a great deal more than this.

pittsburghjoe-physics, applied to astronomy and cosmology, is such an extraordinary mish-mash of nonsense that it makes the Electric Universe ideas look like the paragon of science (not original, some other ISF member made the same point ~50-60 pages ago). The internal contradictions alone, in pittsburghjoe-physics, are truly breath-taking to behold.

But hey, as one of the Queens said (I'm paraphrasing) anyone can think of six impossible things before breakfast.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:26 PM   #2034
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

You don't get to pick one thing and dismiss everything because of it.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:31 PM   #2035
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Starts With a Bang: This Is How Astronomers Will Finally Measure The Universe's Expansion Directly
Quote:
If we could take a distant object, measure its redshift and distance, and then come back at a later time to see how its redshift and distance had changed, we'd be able to directly (instead of indirectly) measure the expanding Universe for the first time.

Given that our best model of the Universe is that it's 13.8 billion years old, it's easy to see how it could be challenging to measure an appreciable amount of expansion over timescales that human beings are capable of measuring. If we were to take the most distant galaxies and quasars we can measure — objects that are tens of billions of light-years away — we'd predict that the expected change in redshift-over-time is the equivalent of 1 cm/s per year.

Even with today's most powerful telescopes, we can only measure redshifts to a resolution of about 100-to-200 cm/s, which means we'd have to wait centuries to even begin to measure changes in how we view these distant objects.
The conclusion is that we may be able to do this for high z (extremely distant) galaxies with future telescopes such as ELT, online in the mid-2020s and 2040 at the latest for this result.
The need for high z is that these are the galaxies that are moving the fastest and we can run the test over hopefully 15 years.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:38 PM   #2036
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

So when I say only the voids are "expanding", you have no current way of proving me wrong.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:41 PM   #2037
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A "pick one thing" lie when we dismiss his delusions because they have multiple flaws

You don't get to pick one thing and dismiss everything because of it.
13 November 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "pick one thing" lie when we dismiss his delusions because they have multiple flaws.
They have lies about science.
They are abysmally ignorant about science.
They are incoherent.
They are a flood of ignorant fantasies out his head.
They even debunk themselves: In pittsburghjoe-physics, we do not live in this universe (he has no cosmological redshift at all !)
Old 12th November 2019, 07:43 PM   #2038
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

umm, no. This redshift thing was been blown out of proportion. I thought the void outside our local group might contribute to it. Not a complete shutdown or cause of it.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th November 2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:46 PM   #2039
JeanTate
Illuminator

So when I say only the voids are "expanding", you have no current way of proving me wrong.
Indeed.

So when I say only invisible pink unicorns are “expanding”, you have no current way of proving me wrong.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:48 PM   #2040
JeanTate
Illuminator

Starts With a Bang: This Is How Astronomers Will Finally Measure The Universe's Expansion Directly

The conclusion is that we may be able to do this for high z (extremely distant) galaxies with future telescopes such as ELT, online in the mid-2020s and 2040 at the latest for this result.
The need for high z is that these are the galaxies that are moving the fastest and we can run the test over hopefully 15 years.
Too late today; I’ll post more on this tomorrow. But yes, EELT, 20-40 years, ~4000 hours of dedicated telescope time, ...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology