ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 06:51 AM   #721
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Less than 48 hours before start of the Impeachment Hearing Hoax, on Monday, the No Due Process, Do Nothing Democrats are, believe it or not, changing the Impeachment Guidelines because the facts are not on their side. When you can’t win the game, change the rules!

@SenTedCruz “The Democrats are now admitting that they can’t prove a crime, they can’t prove a law was violated, and here’s why. Any president, any administration, is justified in investigating corruption, and there was serious evidence of real corruption concerning Hunter....

....Biden on the board of the largest natural gas company in Ukraine, getting paid $83,000 a month, 10 times as much as a board member of @exxonmobil.” Thank you Ted. He also made a fortune from China and others, but zero before his father became V.P. @MeetThePress

“Any president has the authority to investigate corruption. The President himself released the transcript of the call. Now the Democrats have no evidence of a crime and no evidence of violating the law. This is a kangaroo court in the House, but it’s going to go to the Senate,...

....it’s going to go nowhere. They are going to impeach not because they have the evidence, but because they hate the president. I think the American people know that this is a waste of time, this is Democrats putting on a circus.
@SenTedCruz interviewed by Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd
You didn't say "Simon says" "Trump tweets"! It doesn't count.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 06:58 AM   #722
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

“The Democrats haven’t come up with a smocking gun. Nancy Pelosi, by raising this to the level of Impeachment, has raised the bar impossibly high. This comes after three years of nonstop investigations of Trump, the Russian collusion narrative, the Mueller Report, & now the.....

.....American people are supposed to believe that this simply isn’t a part of everthing they’ve been trying to do for the last three years? I think it is really a hard sell for Nancy Pelosi.” @DanHenninger The Wall Street Journal
Surely he did that on purpose?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 06:59 AM   #723
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Nonsense. This impeachment fiasco has nothing to do with the law. They don't have a crime, and that is completely obvious to anyone who has been paying attention.
Extortion is a crime. Abuse of power is impeachable. Obstruction of justice is a crime. Lying to Congress and to the FBI is a crime.

Just because he's on your team doesn't mean you need to defend him.

Old 9th December 2019, 07:00 AM   #724
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Pastor Rick Wiles calls impeachment a "Jew coup".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

TruNews has access to the White House press pool.
I really wish the Jews would get on with it and conquer the world already. This is taking entirely too long.

Old 9th December 2019, 07:07 AM   #725
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
They've been shoveling this same crap for decades. Don't you remember all that family values moralizing the GOP got up to in the late eighties/early nineties, only for half of them to wind up caught in bed with underage boys?
There's got to be a name for vociferous support for something to cover for contrary actions, as opposed to regular hypocrisy.

Old 9th December 2019, 07:27 AM   #726
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Stuff I don't get: Trump said Cruz's father was in on the assassination of JFK and his buddies at the National Enquirer said Cruz was sleeping with all of his assistants. And now he's defending Trump. Why? And he's not the only one.
All the derogatory things Trump said about Cruz during the primaries were mentioned by the person doing the interview(Chuck Todd), but Cruz stepped past that question and continued pushing this Republican BS claim about Ukraine interfering in the the 2016 election. Even citing that bogus transcript ("Read The Transcript!"he says) as evidence.
Right now, the GOP* would rather shtick with the party lie and throw the USA under the bus. All of them deserve to be thrown out of office.

*Group Of Patsies
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:33 AM   #727
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Trump Retweeted

Kimberley Strassel
@KimStrassel
Still waiting for my fellow members of the media to express their deep outrage and alarm that Intelligence Chair Schiff snooped thru and published phone records of member of the free press. The silence is deafening.

Democrats lecture about dirt-digging, even as they abuse their surveillance powers to demand phone records to smear political rivals.
https://wsj.com/articles/schiffs-sur...8eee549ae63e90 via @WSJ

I wondered how long it would be before media rushed to defend Schiff's indefensible subpoenas and intimidation of the media. Didn't take long... (Although this is hilariously weak tea.)
https://thedailybeast.com/adam-schif...er&via=desktop via @thedailybeast

From my new column: “There does not appear to be any basis to believe that a congressional committee is authorized to subpoena telephone records directly from a provider..." says former Attorney General Michael Mukasey.
https://wsj.com/articles/adam-schiff...e36ee64a8fa8d5 via @WSJ

Also from my column: Constitutional lawyer David Rivkin makes the case that Schiff has opened himself up lawsuits from targets of these subpoenas.
More disinformation for the Monarchy.

Last edited by DetectedMotion; 9th December 2019 at 07:50 AM.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:35 AM   #728
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Until the Nunes era, the Foreign Intel committee was known as the most non partisan committee. They temporarily assigned Jordan to amp up the crazy.

Hearings conducted by the Judicial committee will be especially painful. It's the place historically where fact-challenged, bat **** crazy republicans spew forth.
Old 9th December 2019, 07:49 AM   #729
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Nonsense. This impeachment fiasco has nothing to do with the law. They don't have a crime, and that is completely obvious to anyone who has been paying attention. It's one of the greatest political blunders in American history, if not the biggest. Right now, I would be surprised if the House even votes. All it will do is lock in their losing of the House in November. The voters in those 31 districts that Dems won but Trump carried did not send them to D.C. to impeach the guy they voted for. This is a no-brainer. All but two of them did vote for the impeachment inquiry disaster, and that may be enough to defeat them anyway. We'll have to see how things play out here, then wait until November to find out.
It has everything to do with the law(A thing you purposely ignore), there are crimes perpetrated by Trump, including obstruction of justice.
A question for you; If there is no crime, why would Trump insist people do not testify? If Trump has done nothing wrong, then let's see if their testimonies prove that claim..
Old 9th December 2019, 07:52 AM   #730
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Extortion is a crime. Abuse of power is impeachable. Obstruction of justice is a crime. Lying to Congress and to the FBI is a crime.

Just because he's on your team doesn't mean you need to defend him.
^This sums it up well.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:31 AM   #731
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to Steve Castor, GOP Counsel, what Trump did in Ukraine was an effort to heal the deep divisions in the US.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:44 AM   #732
plague311
Great minds think...

The Dem counsel is just so much more well spoken than the GOP counsel.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 08:52 AM   #733
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Goldman just said Trump withheld $391 from Ukraine. I suspect he may have misspoken there.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:55 AM   #734
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Point of Order, ruled not appropriate, motion to table, table, vote, call for roll call, roll call. I just mute the TV each time.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:20 AM   #735
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Point of Order, ruled not appropriate, motion to table, table, vote, call for roll call, roll call. I just mute the TV each time.
Me too, it's obnoxious. You can tell the GOP tried it because two of the Dems were away from their desk when the vote was taken.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:13 AM   #736
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Isn't that an Israeli two-door sports car?
Apologies to Brian Wilson:

She's my little jew coupe
You don't know what I got

OK, ninja'd by Fast Eddie B. (but I quoted the lyrics, you didn't )

Last edited by Steve; 9th December 2019 at 10:17 AM.
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:15 AM   #737
plague311
Great minds think...

This GOP lawyer takes the most random dramatic pauses.

Old 9th December 2019, 10:21 AM   #738
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It's for editing. GOP propagandists can add appropriate effect music and sounds to the video if he does that.

Old 9th December 2019, 10:25 AM   #739
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

He... does. But it a refreshing... change... from the usual.. hysterical delivery... from the Republicans.

Although, all he's doing is reviewing the previous testimony which serves no purpose I can fathom.

Last edited by alfaniner; 9th December 2019 at 10:31 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 11:19 AM   #740
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I have to admit that the more I watch Republicans being interviewed, the more depressed I get about this. They seem to have gelled onto a defense that is made from a mix of vague truth, twisted semantics, calling anything that would damage them hearsay, then happily using hearsay themselves, all mixed together with a lot of minor lies and a few really big whoppers, but stated with confidence and enough plausibility for those that haven't been paying attention that they could get them passed.

//Respectful Snip//

And that's what worries me, I'm not sure that the Democrats have the skills required to deal with this ball of garbage before it sinks them.
And this is why the whole "Oh just ignore the trolls" thing pisses me off so much.

Because this was gonna happen. We let people basically practice trolling unopposed online until they perfected it and then it leaked into the real world and we have no way of combating it when it matters.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 11:36 AM   #741
plague311
Great minds think...

The Dems need to be asking more questions of the GOP lawyer. Get him on record, and trap him into a corner with regards to the lies they've been telling. We already know the storyline, use this time to do damage to the GOP claims.

ETA: Jesus Christ, all the GOP do is scream.

Last edited by plague311; 9th December 2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:53 AM   #742
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is no Gotcha when it comes to Trump: a signed confession wouldn't be enough.

All the Dems can do is collect and collate evidence for a time when Republicans have managed to break the spell they are under.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:56 AM   #743
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I am slightly amused that the guy Collins (R) has been badgering has spent a lot of time just staring back as if saying "What in the flying **** are you talking about, you idiot?"
Old 9th December 2019, 12:00 PM   #744
carlosy
Thinker

I couldn't really follow Collins, what was his question about either Schiff or Goldman? Goldman refused to answer.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:13 PM   #745
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Collins needs a Valium. His head is going to explode if he doesn't get his faux outrage under control.
His method of questioning is loud, angry and accusatory. He cuts off answers not allowing a complete answer as soon as he realizes he's not going to get the simple answer he wants. For example, he wants a one or two word answer about who ordered the cross referencing of the phone numbers but when Goldman tries to explain how it was done, Collins cuts him off and implies Goldman is trying to hide something nefarious.

Collins reminds me of a gorilla thumping the ground and pounding his chest trying to make himself look like a tough guy. I keep expecting him to start flinging his feces.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:18 PM   #746
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I keep expecting him to start flinging his feces.
Hasn't that been the GOP tactic pretty much since Trump was named the Republican candidate?
Old 9th December 2019, 12:20 PM   #747
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
I couldn't really follow Collins, what was his question about either Schiff or Goldman? Goldman refused to answer.
He wanted to know who ordered the cross referencing of the subpoenaed phone numbers to Nunes, Guiliani, Parnas and Solomon. More explanation here:

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/78481...e-records-mean
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:23 PM   #748
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He wanted to know who ordered the cross referencing of the subpoenaed phone numbers to Nunes, Guiliani, Parnas and Solomon. More explanation here:

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/78481...e-records-mean
So he's mad Nunes got caught.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:25 PM   #749
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's for editing. GOP propagandists can add appropriate effect music and sounds to the video if he does that.

... and dramatic zooms. That's how you know it's really serious.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:40 PM   #750
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So he's mad Nunes got caught.
Pretty much. Collins is so all over the place no wonder Carlosy had trouble following him. Right now he's into another grandstanding, accusatory rant directed toward Goldman. He's demonstrating the tactic of "the best defense is a good offense". When you have no defense, attack and try to put your adversary on the defense.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:43 PM   #751
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Collins reminds me of a gorilla thumping the ground and pounding his chest trying to make himself look like a tough guy. I keep expecting him to start flinging his feces.
Otherwise he'd have to flush them ten or twenty times.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:43 PM   #752
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And this is why the whole "Oh just ignore the trolls" thing pisses me off so much.

Because this was gonna happen. We let people basically practice trolling unopposed online until they perfected it and then it leaked into the real world and we have no way of combating it when it matters.
I'm torn on this. Correcting the record is one way to combat trolls, but another way is to out-troll them. Otherwise, they are still driving the conversation, and the rebuttals risk sounding defensive. Trump opponents are saying, "OK, these are the real facts" as if facts matter to the people you're trying to reach.

Remember what Trump said in (IIRC) rebuttal to Hillary? "Wrong. Wrong. Wrong." It's a cunning response. No danger of being tripped up by facts; just a contemptuous dismissal. He plays on emotion while Dems are trying to play on facts and logic. There's a place for that, surely. But ... there's also a place for manipulating the audience.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 01:08 PM   #753
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The thing about lies and nonsense such as the Republicans/Trump are pushing is that it takes very little time to spout them and much longer to refute them. And most people have the attention span of gnats.
Then work with that. I think it's fine to deconstruct the lies and nonsense, particularly in the context of a legal hearing that is being watched by political nerds. But there's also a place for deploying other tactics. Straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling. Maybe not in the hearings themselves, but in managing the public's perceptions of the hearings.

I'm not watching, so a big caveat there.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 01:13 PM   #754
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Then work with that. I think it's fine to deconstruct the lies and nonsense, particularly in the context of a legal hearing that is being watched by political nerds. But there's also a place for deploying other tactics. Straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling. Maybe not in the hearings themselves, but in managing the public's perceptions of the hearings.

I'm not watching, so a big caveat there.
You think the Dems should resort to "straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling"?
Old 9th December 2019, 01:20 PM   #755
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

You think the Dems should resort to "straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling"?
Whatever works, in context. And that context is probably NOT during the actual hearings. But in ancillary coverage, sure. IMO, there's no point in denying that such tactics can be effective.
Old 9th December 2019, 01:25 PM   #756
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wrong verb tense, I think.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 01:26 PM   #757
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I'm also torn on labeling each side by political party, even though it's accurate enough for now.

But as I have emphasized, I'm not watching this round of hearings. So I'm no kind of expert in how effective certain tactics would be in that context. There was a flash of humor way back on Day One or so that I thought was pretty effective.
Old 9th December 2019, 01:42 PM   #758
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Gohmert is now joining Collins in the fainting couch outrage. I expected nothing more from that fool.

On a personal note, listening to those two just reinforces my dislike for Southern accents. And I used to have one.
Old 9th December 2019, 01:49 PM   #759
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Gohmert is now joining Collins in the fainting couch outrage. I expected nothing more from that fool.

On a personal note, listening to those two just reinforces my dislike for Southern accents. And I used to have one.
Don't take it out on all of us, please. We didn't all drink the kool-aid, snort the meth, sniff the glue, and/or tip the cow.

Old 9th December 2019, 01:50 PM   #760
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The Dems need to be asking more questions of the GOP lawyer. Get him on record, and trap him into a corner with regards to the lies they've been telling. We already know the storyline, use this time to do damage to the GOP claims.

ETA: Jesus Christ, all the GOP do is scream.
Jordan thinks if he yells he sounds like he spouting gotchas.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics