ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Pick one:
Betelgeuse Supernova in our lifetime, Jesus not. 4 9.52%
Jesus returns in our lifetime, Betelgeuse stays put. 2 4.76%
Betelgeuse Supernova first, no Second Coming 31 73.81%
Second coming first, Betelgeuse is immortal. 1 2.38%
Planet X give birth to superman during Supernova. 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th December 2019, 04:25 PM   #41
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I voted for second coming, no supernova.
So basically a nil-all draw.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 08:47 PM   #42
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

According to this article, the supernova might herald the first and only coming:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/1...agog-war-iran/
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:29 AM   #43
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
According to this article, the supernova might herald the first and only coming:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/1...agog-war-iran/
funny
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:09 AM   #44
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Based on an article I read, it would be the brightest light in the night sky, outshining the full moon. Unless they were very thick clouds, you would know.

They didn't say how big it would appear, though. A very bright point source? I would suppose, at 700 light-years away.

The article also said there would be no life threatening effects beyond 300 light years. That's good....if the models are right.
It does seem that Betelgeuse is at a very good distance for a supernova: Far enough away to pose no danger, but close enough to make one hell of a show. The fact that it is close to the celestial equator is a bonus, as it will be visible planet-wide (very close to the horizon at the poles, but hardly anybody lives there). Much of what I've read about it indicates that it's probably not going to go supernova in my lifetime, but I kind of hope the astrophysicists are wrong, ant it happens next Tuesday.

Last edited by CORed; 2nd January 2020 at 10:10 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:14 AM   #45
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The locals there have a name for Betelgeuse. They call it "Krypton".
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:45 PM   #46
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Report of gravitational wave, possibly from Betelgeuse

Could we have detected the core collapse? I'm not actually sure if our detectors would be able to do that. A supernova might sound big but in the grand scheme of gravity waves I'm not sure it qualifies as big.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/b...wave-1.5433653

Sorry, I don't currently know the exact time of the detection.

ETA: In addition to not being sure if a supernova would be big enough I'm also not sure if it could be asymmetrical enough to be detectable.

And another: https://www.livescience.com/mysterio...nal-burst.html This says this was first detected a week ago. So, not likely that the shock wave is still traversing the interior of the star.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 22nd January 2020 at 08:52 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:13 AM   #47
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

This guy has a nice commentary about it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:21 AM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Betelgeuse supernova?

It was my favorite large star as a child. please don't.
That would be spectacular, but it would suck for Orion.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:24 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Appears to not be circular, but I don't know if that's an imaging artifact or if its shape really is lumpy like that.
Betelgeuse is rather unstable, so it's not a very neat spheroid.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:26 AM   #50
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

In the video above, not to spoil it or anything, but the latest evidence and thinking actually suggests that Betelgeuse has a lot more time left. It was once likely two stars, which merged.
Old 26th January 2020, 07:44 AM   #51
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
In the video above, not to spoil it or anything, but the latest evidence and thinking actually suggests that Betelgeuse has a lot more time left. It was once likely two stars, which merged.
So far this seems to be supported by only one paper which proposes that as one possible explanation.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology