ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:21 PM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

From new science discovery to tasting soy sauce with your testicles in three easy ste

ScienceAlert: People Are Dipping Their Testicles in Soy Sauce, So Here's Some Science.
https://www.sciencealert.com/people-...s-some-science

We often complain about how badly mainstream media reports on scientific discoveries and this is a clear example of how a little knowledge can lead to rather bizarre conclusions.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Next you'll be telling me women are putting jade eggs in their hoo-has because some actress told them to!
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:41 PM   #3
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

If I hadn't clicked on the link, I wouldn't have believed it.

Eewww . . .
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:45 PM   #4
sphenisc
Philosopher

I don't think testicles would taste soy, they'd work better with cumin.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:52 PM   #5
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
We often complain about how badly mainstream media reports on scientific discoveries and this is a clear example of how a little knowledge can lead to rather bizarre conclusions.
Does Daily Mail actually count as mainstream? People who trust the Daily Mail get what they deserve.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Next you'll be telling me women are putting jade eggs in their hoo-has because some actress told them to!
People who trust Gwyneth Paltrow for health advice probably trust the Daily Mail.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

What is true is that you can taste salt if you hold out your tongue and pretend you're shaking salt on to it
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 01:15 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I put the soy sauce on my balls and wow I could taste it. But then I had sauce on my balls so I took a bubble bath. By golly I could taste the soap. Then I remembered something from last week. A waitress spilled a Coca-Cola in my lap and I could taste it for hours. I hate Coke!
Old 22nd January 2020, 06:49 PM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Ever notice that the texture of a glans is similar to that of a tongue?

Salty, OK. Limburger cheese? Don't do it.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 06:59 PM   #9
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Umami receptors? Yah sure, I bet there is Umami in vaginal secretions. Especially when she is at her peak- similarity to egg whites noted. So, the testicles know to increase sperm production when it will have the most increase the chance of procreating .

I volunteer to be the first subject in the DBPC study...
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:04 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Separate point- Taste buds have a physiological use. The taste of the food triggers the out put of the proper mix of pancreas enzymes. Sweet taste = more amylases. Umami taste, more proteases. The body makes advantages from input from oral taste buds, why not testicles/sperm count?

Last edited by casebro; 22nd January 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:08 PM   #11
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm... Umami in personal lubricants?

Mayonnaise! Gravy! Hah- no wonder soup stock makes better stew!
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:21 AM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's not all;
Please, stop putting weird products like crocheted tampons in your vagina
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:55 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Does Daily Mail actually count as mainstream? People who trust the Daily Mail get what they deserve.

People who trust Gwyneth Paltrow for health advice probably trust the Daily Mail.
Daily Mail is unfortunately one of the biggest newspapers in terms of circulation and one of the most popular "news" websites.
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
I don't think testicles would taste soy, they'd work better with cumin.
Well played.
Old 26th January 2020, 07:42 AM   #15
Myriad
Hyperthetical

"... Or else you're going to be tasting soy sauce with your testicles" sounds like a catch phrase from a tough-guy movie franchise.
Old 26th January 2020, 10:09 AM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if private parts can taste infections? Evolutionary: Those people who have parts subject to infection would have a harder time finding receptive mates? Males would go flaccid if their parts taste gonorrhea, females dry up at the first hint of syphilis? Maybe not the germs, perhaps something more generic like histamine? IGG?
Old 27th January 2020, 01:31 AM   #17
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
"... Or else you're going to be tasting soy sauce with your testicles" sounds like a catch phrase from a tough-guy movie franchise.
OK. I'm going to add that to my verbal judo repertoire...
Old 27th January 2020, 07:10 PM   #18
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
OK. I'm going to add that to my verbal judo repertoire...
Mostly likely use would seem to be, “Get yourself an education son, or else you're going to be ..."
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2020, 01:45 AM   #19
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Good to see the head of the NHS pushing back on this rubbish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51312441

Quote:
Gwyneth Paltrow's new Netflix series poses a "considerable health risk" to the public, NHS chief executive Simon Stevens has said. […]

Mr Stevens took aim at the "dubious wellness products and dodgy procedures" featured in the series, while speaking at an academic event in Oxford on Thursday.

"Goop has just popped up with a new TV series, in which Gwyneth Paltrow and her team test vampire facials and back a body worker, who claims to cure both acute psychological trauma and side-effects by simply moving his hands two inches above a customer's body," said the chief executive.

"Her brand peddles psychic vampire repellent, says chemical sunscreen is a bad idea, and promotes colonic irrigation and DIY coffee enema machines, despite them carrying considerable risks to health."

Goop began in September 2008 as a newsletter produced by Paltrow for her friends.
The controversial lifestyle brand opened its first UK store in London in 2019.
It has since grown into an lifestyle and beauty business reportedly worth £190m ($250m), with a website, online store, pop-up shops, a magazine and now a Netflix series.

"While fake news used to travel by word of mouth, and later the Caxton press, we all know that lies and misinformation can now be round the world at the touch of a button - before the truth has reached for its socks, never mind got its boots on," said Mr Stevens.

"Myths and misinformation have been put on steroids by the availability of misleading claims online."

"While the term 'fake news' makes most people think about politics, people's natural concern for their health, and particularly about that of their loved ones, makes this particularly fertile ground for quacks, charlatans and cranks."
Old 1st February 2020, 02:17 AM   #20
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Testicles taste just fine, but this seems a bit wastedul. Dip away, but I’d suggest eating your sushi first.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:54 AM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You can't even go to the Testicle Festival any more!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology