ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2020, 08:36 PM   #1
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

New Species of Tyrannosaurs Discovered...and it's straight out of Marvel!

Okay, so...a Canadian student working on his master's thesis was examining some tyrannosaur fossils, when he realized that they represented an entirely new species. Some 8 meters in length, it was a fearsome predator.

But my favorite thing about it is the name they gave it...Thanatotheristes degrootorum. The article about this discovery explains the meaning as follows:
The new species is named Thanatotheristes degrootorum, which combines the Greek word for “reaper of death” with the name of a southern Alberta couple, the DeGroots, who happened upon the fossil fragments along the shore of the Bow River west of Medicine Hat, Alta., in 2010.
However, I couldn't help but notice that this name has both Thanos and Groot in it! Surely that can't be a coincidence...this was a young university student, who would have grown up on the Marvel movies!

I now picture this as a fierce, blue-skinned dinosaur, roaming the jungles and screaming, "I AM GROOT!" as its hunting cry.
Old 11th February 2020, 05:51 AM   #2
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Even the name meaning suggests a nod to Thanos. I must say, it was a colorful dinosaur.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 06:22 AM   #3
Armitage72
Illuminator

If it were a Marvel T-Rex, it would be red, not blue.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 06:34 AM   #4
Belz...
Fiend God

Thanatos, not Thanos.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 07:50 AM   #5
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

How do they know the colour of dinos?
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 08:21 AM   #6
ahhell
Illuminator

Could it hyponotize its prey?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Seems like paleontologists are getting some idea.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...colors-nature/
Old 11th February 2020, 09:49 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Less interested in the name. More interested in how this fossil was obviously a Tyrannosaur to the person who cataloged it initially, but not obviously an entirely new species of Tyrannosaur.

Anyway, yay discovery! The DeGroots must be pleased.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 09:51 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Turns out, the Ancient Romans would paint them in bright colors. You can still find particles of pigment that give hints of the original color scheme.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Turns out, the Ancient Romans would paint them in bright colors. You can still find particles of pigment that give hints of the original color scheme.
Well this dude lived around the same time and his dinos are quite drab looking.

https://www.dailysquib.co.uk/most-po...dinosaurs.html
Old 11th February 2020, 08:00 PM   #11
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Thanatos, not Thanos.
While Marvel does have a character called Thanatos (which would obviously be a better fit with the dinosaur's name), Thanos is the far better known one
Old 11th February 2020, 08:02 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
While Marvel does have a character called Thanatos (which would obviously be a better fit with the dinosaur's name), Thanos is the far better known one
Science happens and all these skeptics can talk about is comic books.
Old 11th February 2020, 08:30 PM   #13
Myriad
Hyperthetical

There's also a Marvel villain who's basically a giant upright talking lizard in a lab coat.

Hush. The nerdy tweens are talking.
Old 11th February 2020, 09:27 PM   #14
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

I'll point out that it's a scientist who came up with this name! Not to mention scientists who've come up with other dinosaur names such as:

Gasosaurus (so named because he was discovered by workers in a gas field)

Irritator Challengeri (supposedly so named because the person working on it became extremely irritated while doing so)

Yamaceratops (named after the Buddhist god Yama)

Piatnitzkysaurus (I've no idea why it was named that, probably named after someone but I challenge you to pronounce that!)

Bambiraptor (So named because it was a smaller, 'cuter' version of raptor)

Arthurdactylus Conan-doylensis (the name of a type of pterodactyl, so named by a Sherlock Holmes fan)

Dracorex Hogwarsia (a dinosaur named by a Harry Potter fan)

Elvisosaurus (so named because it had a crest that looked like Elvis's hair)

Eric (A marine dinosaur named after Eric Idle)

Gogirasaurus ("Gojira" is the Japanese name for Godzilla)

Technosaurus (named after Texas Tech University)

Erectopus (okay, it actually means "upright foot", but it SOUNDS like an octopus with a boner)

There's also a guy who named multiple species of trilobites after the members of the Sex Pistols: Arcticalymene Viciousi, A. Rotteni, A. Jonesi, A. Cooki, A. Matlocki

CONCLUSION

The nerds and geeks of the world win.
Old 11th February 2020, 10:45 PM   #15
Wolrab
Illuminator

They should have had an online vote so we would end up with Tyrano Tyranosaurusface.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 11:15 PM   #16
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
They should have had an online vote so we would end up with Tyrano Tyranosaurusface.
Or Cutie McCutieFace
Old 12th February 2020, 07:14 AM   #17
Armitage72
Illuminator

I'll point out that it's a scientist who came up with this name! Not to mention scientists who've come up with other dinosaur names such as:

CONCLUSION

The nerds and geeks of the world win.

There's also the prehistoric turtle named Psephophorus terrypratchetti.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:55 AM   #18
Georg
Graduate Poster

..... and Lemmysuchus…….
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 08:04 AM   #19
sphenisc
Philosopher

Eric (A marine dinosaur named after Eric Idle)
Eric is the name of a particular fossil belonging to the species Umoonasaurus demoscyllus. This a marine pliosaur, not a dinosaur.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:28 AM   #20
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Eric is the name of a particular fossil belonging to the species Umoonasaurus demoscyllus. This a marine pliosaur, not a dinosaur.
Nerd.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology