ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th February 2018, 01:33 AM   #121
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Here is the 2011 paper which summarises multiple objections to their previous claims of a YD impact scenario:

The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis: A requiem
Pinter, N. et al.
http://www2.nau.edu/ScottAnderson/docs/135.pdf

It's pretty scathing. From the final paragraph:

Quote:
This paper has systematically reviewed evidence presented as signatures of a YD impact event, and this review has been framed as a “requiem,” suggesting the end of the YD impact hypothesis. It is fair then to ask whether we are indeed seeing the end of this hypothesis. As for some proponents, the answer is certainly ‘no’— several have stated that they will continue their quest until the hypothesis is confirmed. Some insight is gained by adding a historical perspective here. Scientific hypotheses are constantly being proposed, tested, confirmed, or cleanly rejected, but a small minority of these stray from this time-proven path. Many scientists are unaware of the surprising number of hypotheses that have gone badly astray, often after widespread initial interest and support (Langmuir and Hall, 1989; Gratzer, 2000; Park, 2000). Characteristics of these wayward hypotheses include claims that are spectacular, data that are subjective or at the limit of precise measurement, and criticisms met with ad hoc excuses and/or shifts in the original claims (after Langmuir and Hall, 1989). We suggest that much can be gained by stepping back and looking at the broader lessons for the earth sciences, impact science, archeology, and other affected fields.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Last edited by jonesdave116; 6th February 2018 at 01:34 AM.
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 05:17 PM   #122
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Fancy that

Quote:
Impact crater 19 miles wide found beneath Greenland glacier
Crater appears to be result of mile-wide iron meteorite just 12,000 years ago


A huge impact crater has been discovered under a half-mile-thick Greenland ice sheet.

The enormous bowl-shaped dent appears to be the result of a mile-wide iron meteorite slamming into the island at a speed of 12 miles per second as recently as 12,000 years ago.

The impact of the 10bn-tonne space rock would have unleashed 47m times the energy of the Little Boy nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It would have melted vast amounts of ice, sending freshwater rushing into the oceans, and blasted rocky debris high into the atmosphere.
more

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...enland-glacier
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 06:34 PM   #123
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,367
AWC, Astronomical Weather Change anybody?
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 10:10 PM   #124
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,336
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
From the actual paper

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/11/eaar8173
Quote:

The age of the crater is presently unknown, but an impact sometime during the Pleistocene is consistent with presently available geological and geophysical data.
IOW "maybe sometime in the last 3 million years but we don't really know".
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:18 PM   #125
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Pleistocene ended 11,700 years ago ....strange that.

Quote:
While the overall appearance of the Hiawatha impact crater is relatively fresh, its morphological deviations from a typical complex crater are likely due to a combination of glaciofluvial and subglacial erosion of the rim and central uplift, sediment deposition within the crater, and post-impact rim collapse. This crater is the only known terrestrial crater of this size that retains aspects of its original surface topographic expression. The age of the crater is presently unknown, but an impact sometime during the Pleistocene is consistent with presently available geological and geophysical data.
we'll wait...the smoking gun is found...just need the date now.

Quote:
Regardless of its exact age, based on the size of the Hiawatha impact crater, this impact very likely had significant environmental consequences in the Northern Hemisphere and possibly globally (35).
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 09:54 AM   #126
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,336
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post


we'll wait...the smoking gun is found...just need the date now.
Don’t you think you should have a dead body before you go looking for a smoking gun? There is nothing unique about the period 11.7KYA. Yes, there is unusual cooling, but there are many similar cooling events in the last 1m years. If only one was caused by an impact, how do you explain all the others. If you all the others can be explained by meltwater pulses that occur on melting ice sheets, what makes the most recent one any different?
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:32 AM   #127
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
It's hardly the only evidence ....what was lacking was the gun...the traces are widespread

Quote:
The South Carolina researchers found an abundance of platinum in soil layers that coincided with the "Younger-Dryas," a climatic period of extreme cooling that began around 12,800 ago and lasted about 1,400 years. While the brief return to ice-age conditions during the Younger-Dryas has been well-documented by scientists, the reasons for it and the demise of the Clovis people and animals have remained unclear.
"Platinum is very rare in the Earth's crust, but it is common in asteroids and comets," says Christopher Moore, the study's lead author. He calls the presence of platinum found in the soil layers at 11 archaeological sites in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina an anomaly.
"The presence of elevated platinum in archaeological sites is a confirmation of data previously reported for the Younger-Dryas onset several years ago in a Greenland ice-core. The authors for that study concluded that the most likely source of such platinum enrichment was from the impact of an extraterrestrial object," Moore says


Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-03-discov...eople.html#jCp
Quote:
carbon-rich black layer, dating to ≈12.9 ka, has been previously identified at ≈50 Clovis-age sites across North America and appears contemporaneous with the abrupt onset of Younger Dryas (YD) cooling. The in situ bones of extinct Pleistocene megafauna, along with Clovis tool assemblages, occur below this black layer but not within or above it.
http://www.pnas.org/content/104/41/16016


http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/07/17/1303924110

and the nano-diamonds

Quote:
Diamond clues to beasts' demise

By Molly Bentley
Science reporter
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7808171.stm

Now none of that proves the Younger Dryas hypothesis for climate change wiping out Clovis and mega fauna - it does however provide a weapon.

Last edited by macdoc; 16th November 2018 at 10:35 AM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 11:39 AM   #128
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,367
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Don’t you think you should have a dead body before you go looking for a smoking gun? There is nothing unique about the period 11.7KYA. Yes, there is unusual cooling, but there are many similar cooling events in the last 1m years. If only one was caused by an impact, how do you explain all the others. If you all the others can be explained by meltwater pulses that occur on melting ice sheets, what makes the most recent one any different?
a) you need to edit your last sentence.

b) Maybe all those other cooling periods were initiated by other Dirty Winters ? Some I know off off the top of my head: Crater in New Mexico, The Yucatan basin /Gulf of Mexico (biggest?) , Tanguska, many HUGE volcanoes: Krakatoa, Mt St Helens, mt Pinatubo,......... And with statistically 70% underwater ? Or even what percent under Antarctic ice?
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 01:16 PM   #129
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Quote:
. Yes, there is unusual cooling, but there are many similar cooling events in the last 1m years
such as ??

And the Younger Dryas is not similar to any historical volcanic episode - that's completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Analyses of stable isotopes from Greenland ice cores provide estimates for the start and end of the Younger Dryas. The analysis of Greenland Summit ice cores, as part of the Greenland Ice Sheet Project-2 (GISP-2) and Greenland Icecore Project (GRIP), estimated that the Younger Dryas started about 12,800 ice (calendar) years BP. Depending on the specific ice core analysis consulted, the Younger Dryas is estimated to have lasted 1,150–1,300 years.[2][3] Measurements of oxygen isotopes from the GISP2 ice core suggest the ending of the Younger Dryas took place over just 40 to 50 years in three discrete steps, each lasting five years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

What ever triggered it coming at terminus of a ice age makes the assessement harder and it could be a combination of factors and there are other events similar in other glaciated world exits.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 01:58 PM   #130
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,336
Originally Posted by casebro View Post

b) Maybe all those other cooling periods were initiated by other Dirty Winters ? Some I know off off the top of my head: Crater in New Mexico, The Yucatan basin /Gulf of Mexico (biggest?) , Tanguska, many HUGE volcanoes: Krakatoa, Mt St Helens, mt Pinatubo,......... And with statistically 70% underwater ? Or even what percent under Antarctic ice?
Eruptions etc that block sunlight don’t fit the climate fingerprint of these events, because this would create simultaneous cooling in both the northern and southern hemispheres. These events, including the one 12K years ago seem confined to the Northern Hemisphere.

This asymmetric behavior of the 2 hemispheres fits well with theory that a meltwater pulse into the artic can move the gulf steam south causing Greenland and western Europe to cool rapidly. The only thing missing from the meltwater pulse theory was locating the pulse itself as it would have left considerable evidence.

This was resolved a few years ago when it was identified that there was rapid draining of glacial lake Agassiz draining into the artic though the McKenzie river just prior to the start of the Younger Dryas cooling.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Younger_Dryas
https://www.livescience.com/31810-big-freeze-flood.html
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/gornitz_10/
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 12:37 PM   #131
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
So you are talking about the thermohaline circulation stopping or slowing dramatically.

Good coverage here
https://geol155.academic.wlu.edu/the...as-glaciation/

And there is no reason to think it could not be a combination of events.

Here's cover on the impact theory

Quote:
Abstract
We report abundant nanodiamonds in sediments dating to 12.9 ± 0.1 thousand calendar years before the present at multiple locations across North America. Selected area electron diffraction patterns reveal two diamond allotropes in this boundary layer but not above or below that interval. Cubic diamonds form under high temperature-pressure regimes, and n-diamonds also require extraordinary conditions, well outside the range of Earth's typical surficial processes but common to cosmic impacts. N-diamond concentrations range from ≈10 to 3700 parts per billion by weight, comparable to amounts found in known impact layers. These diamonds provide strong evidence for Earth's collision with a rare swarm of carbonaceous chondrites or comets at the onset of the Younger Dryas cool interval, producing multiple airbursts and possible surface impacts, with severe repercussions for plants, animals, and humans in North America.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/323/5910/94

Now they have the crater ....and a big one

Last edited by macdoc; 20th November 2018 at 01:01 PM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 01:13 PM   #132
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post

Here's cover on the impact theory



http://science.sciencemag.org/content/323/5910/94

Now they have the crater ....and a big one
Sorry, Mac, but the paper you linked was seriously criticised in the paper I linked at the top of the page. And they have 'a' crater. The chances of it being dated as coincidental with the YD are vanishingly small. The age is loosely constrained as Pleistocene. So 12 000 - 3 Ma.
Let's not claim things that are dubious at best.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 06:51 PM   #133
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator
 
Red Baron Farms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,966
Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Sorry, Mac, but the paper you linked was seriously criticised in the paper I linked at the top of the page. And they have 'a' crater. The chances of it being dated as coincidental with the YD are vanishingly small. The age is loosely constrained as Pleistocene. So 12 000 - 3 Ma.
Let's not claim things that are dubious at best.
As much as I disagree with Mac about the rest of his conclusions, I tend to begrudgingly agree with him here. One of the major flaws with his hypothesis was always the lack of a candidate crater. Now he has a crater, so we wait until the timeline can be dated better, but this could actually be the smoking gun that was missing all this time. We can't use this argument of no crater any longer, until we prove this happened in a different era.
__________________
Scott
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 07:22 PM   #134
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Here's cover on the impact theory
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/323/5910/94
However the next year there is: No evidence of nanodiamonds in Younger–Dryas sediments to support an impact event (2010). With papers on both sides since then.
Younger Dryas impact hypothesis explains that the nanodiamond evidence is not clear.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 07:38 PM   #135
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
NONE of it is clear as yet but the missing elephant in the room for impact has been found lazing around Greenland.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 08:17 PM   #136
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
NONE of it is clear as yet but the missing elephant in the room for impact has been found lazing around Greenland.
Wishful thinking, macdoc. Read the paper
Quote:
The age of the crater is presently unknown, but an impact sometime during the Pleistocene is consistent with presently available geological and geophysical data.
The undated crater is not an elephant or smoking gun.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:45 AM   #137
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
NONE of it is clear as yet but the missing elephant in the room for impact has been found lazing around Greenland.
And the Greenland impact site is pretty much equidistant from the alleged nano-diamond finds in North America as it is from much of Europe. Is there any impact evidence from Europe around the YD time?
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:02 AM   #138
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,336
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
And there is no reason to think it could not be a combination of events.
If something can occur repeatedly without an asteroid strike, what does the asteroid strike add in terms of explanatory power? If the asteroid strike isn’t needed, Occam’s razor tells us not to include it.
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Now they have the crater ....and a big one
There is a crater dated to sometime in the last 3 million years.
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Dated. Most claims, including those related to nano-diamonds and fires have been subsequently refuted.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:07 AM   #139
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,336
Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
One of the major flaws with his hypothesis was always the lack of a candidate crater.
The major flaw was always that the theory didn’t match the climate signature. A really big impact would have thrown enough dust in the air to cause cooling globally, but the paleo-climate data suggests that on the Northern Hemisphere cooled.



Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Now he has a crater,
But not a crater that has been show to fit any of the data.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:09 AM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,393
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
A mile wide? No impact of that size would've gone unnoticed.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:24 AM   #141
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator
 
Red Baron Farms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,966
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The major flaw was always that the theory didn’t match the climate signature. A really big impact would have thrown enough dust in the air to cause cooling globally, but the paleo-climate data suggests that only the Northern Hemisphere cooled. (FTFY)




But not a crater that has been shown to fit any of the data.
I actually agree with you. This hasn't actually changed my mind yet. But it at least opens the possibility. I think in the end it will probably be shown to be a crater from some other era, and that the multiple large fauna extinctions really are attributed to Human impact (both hunting and human cause changes in climate resulting from the trophic cascades triggered) And maybe even a much smaller meteor strike possible if it hit an ice sheet and flooded the conveyor with fresh water.

But I can't really say that my view is any where even close to consensus either. We really do have quite a lot of uncertainty about the Younger dryas.
__________________
Scott
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:54 AM   #142
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
One thing that just occurred to me is this - if there was a large impact at the YD time, then wouldn't this have a considerable signature in the dust levels in Greenland ice core data?

I'm not really seeing anything that makes me sit up and say 'wow';

Formal definition and dating of the GSSP (Global Stratotype Section and Point) for the base of the Holocene using the Greenland NGRIP ice core, and selected auxiliary records
Walker, M. et al.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/....1002/jqs.1227
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:13 PM   #143
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Quote:
All of the cores contain a thick (55–80 cm), grey clay layer that represents the Younger Dryas event. The clay ends abruptly at the Pleistocene–Holocene boundary with a switch from grey clay to dark-brown gyttja occurring within 5cm, and loss-on- ignition values (organic carbon) rapidly increasing over that increment from <5% to >30%; the Pleistocene–Holocene boundary is therefore visually and lithologically striking
From the paper
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:01 PM   #144
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
However the next year there is: No evidence of nanodiamonds in Younger–Dryas sediments to support an impact event (2010). With papers on both sides since then.
Younger Dryas impact hypothesis explains that the nanodiamond evidence is not clear.
And more recently;

Comprehensive analysis of nanodiamond evidence reported to support the Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis
Daulton, T.L. et al. (2017)
https://researchportal.port.ac.uk/po...Hypothesis.pdf

Personally, having read a lot of the criticism of the methods and interpretations of the people pushing this YD impact scenario, my view is that they probably don't really have any evidence. It appears to be misinterpretation, followed by confirmation bias.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:38 PM   #145
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Nice graphics ...
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/nov-...-ice-1.4906871

The nano-diamonds are far less critical now than dating the crater.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:48 PM   #146
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Nice graphics ...
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/nov-...-ice-1.4906871

The nano-diamonds are far less critical now than dating the crater.
If the 'evidence' for an impact is actually non-existent. and the result of poor science, then I suspect that the dating is not going to help, unless it comes out bang on the YD time frame. Which, IMHO, is very bloody unlikely. However, we shall see, I imagine.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 03:53 PM   #147
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
From the paper
Not quite what jonesdave116 was pointing out, macdoc.
The Younger Dryas happened. A "thick (55–80 cm), grey clay layer" in the cores represents that event. The question is are there any indications of a Greenland impact in the cores, especially just before or at the bottom of that layer?

Look at Figure 1 in that paper and note where Camp Century is. This is the Hiawatha Glacier with the crater site is marked on a Greenland map. The sites are not far apart. Is the existence of cores dating back 100,000 years at Camp Century evidence that no impact happened? Or are the sites far enough apart for the impact not to destroy the ice sheet at Camp Century. In that case where is the ejecta from the impact in the cores? Would the impact have caused enough melting to cause a discontinuity in the ice core record?

There are another 5 sites spread across Greenland. I would expect that impact ejecta would appear in these ice cores

Last edited by Reality Check; 22nd November 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:46 PM   #148
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Yet the paper indicates the impact did not precede the glacier formation
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:20 PM   #149
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Yet the paper indicates the impact did not precede the glacier formation
That is their best estimate, but there are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes in the date estimation. Not the fault of the authors. Their best guess is Pleistocene, so from 2.6 Ma to ~ 12 Ka.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 01:17 PM   #150
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Yet the paper indicates the impact did not precede the glacier formation
The paper places constraints on the age of the crater to be within the Pleistocene:
  • "We can confidently assume that the structure is younger than the 1.985 to 1.740 Ga old Paleoproterozoic bedrock that outcrops in the immediately adjacent foreland".
  • Assume that the crater has been covered with ice all of its lifetime and erosion adds another constraint ( ~50 Myr with current erosion estimates making the crater "younger").
  • Two channels predate the crater and predate the Pleistocene inception of the Greenland Ice Sheet (~2.6 Ma ago).
  • "Previous modeling of hydrothermal systems within martian subaerial impact craters suggests that such systems have a life span of ~100 ka for a 30-km-wide crater"
  • "Last, Hiawatha Glacier’s radiostratigraphy is highly anomalous compared to the rest of the Greenland Ice Sheet". Perturbation of the ice formation from unknown sources. Suggestion of the retreat of Humboldt Glacier around 9 to 8 ka ago but no evidence that would have affected the Hiawatha Glacier.
That leads to
Quote:
The sum of these tentative age constraints suggests that the Hiawatha impact crater formed during the Pleistocene, as this age is most consistent with inferences from presently available data. An impact before the Pleistocene cannot clearly explain the combination of the relative freshness of the crater’s morphology and the ice sheet’s apparently ongoing equilibration with the presence of the crater. We emphasize that even this broad age estimate remains uncertain and that further investigation of the age of the Hiawatha impact crater is necessary. Regardless of its exact age, based on the size of the Hiawatha impact crater, this impact very likely had significant environmental consequences in the Northern Hemisphere and possibly globally (35).
If we take the constraints as absolute then the crater may be ~100,000 years old (age of the hydrothermal system). Or even formed just before the retreat of Humboldt Glacier after the Younger Dryas. But we actually have an undated crater.

Last edited by Reality Check; 25th November 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 06:38 PM   #151
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
Then it would be in the ice cores.

We have a crater with constrained dates and little erosion. Since at least one of the team in on the discovery thinks there is a good chance of a Younger Dryas connection ...I figure they've got a good handle it.

Will wait and see.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 07:37 PM   #152
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Then it would be in the ice cores.

We have a crater with constrained dates and little erosion. Since at least one of the team in on the discovery thinks there is a good chance of a Younger Dryas connection ...I figure they've got a good handle it.

Will wait and see.
That is the point you missed before, macdoc. We have Greenland ice cores older than the Younger Dryas. If there was an impact that caused the Younger Dryas then there should evidence in those ice cores. That is especially true for the Camp Century site close to the impact site.

We have a crater that is "constrained" to have formed about 2,588,000 to 11,700 years ago. Even that "little erosion" gives a ~50 Myr constraint. It is modern erosion rates that make the crater vaguely younger.

Search the paper for "Younger Dryas" and find only 2 mentions in the "Radiostratigraphy of Hiawatha Glacier" section. The upper unit (two thirds of the ice column) is identified in Greenland ice cores as a sequence from 11.7 to 0 thousand years (ka) ago. The second unit below that doe not conform to known units. The third unit looks like basal ice.

Read the news report (Impact crater 19 miles wide found beneath Greenland glacier) and see no mention of Younger Dryas. No researcher on the team is reported there as thinking here is a connection with the Younger Dryas.

One news report has a personal opinion from Kjær: “We do not discuss it in the paper, but I think it is a possibility,” Kjær adds. “This may generate a lot of discussion, and we need to find out. We won’t know until we have a proper date.”
But then there is another news report: "Leery of the earlier controversy, Kjær won't endorse that scenario. "I'm not putting myself in front of that bandwagon," he says. But in drafts of the paper, he admits, the team explicitly called out a possible connection between the Hiawatha impact and the Younger Dryas."

This leads to Large Pt anomaly in the Greenland ice core points to a cataclysm at the onset of Younger Dryas (2013). That shows that people expect an impact to have measurable effects in Greenland ices cores. The downside is that this is not a Ir anomaly as expected from a meteor indicating "a highly differentiated object like an Ir-poor iron meteorite that is unlikely to result in an airburst or trigger wide wildfires proposed by the YDB impact hypothesis". The author is saying that there was evidence for an impact that was not that needed for the impact hypothesis.

Last edited by Reality Check; 25th November 2018 at 07:57 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 03:33 AM   #153
macdoc
Philosopher
 
macdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet earth on slow boil
Posts: 7,965
More support for the impact theory on Younger Dryas,,,southern hemisphere

Quote:
rticle | OPEN | Published: 13 March 2019

Sedimentary record from Patagonia, southern Chile supports cosmic-impact triggering of biomass burning, climate change, and megafaunal extinctions at 12.8 ka

Abstract

The Younger Dryas (YD) impact hypothesis posits that fragments of a large, disintegrating asteroid/comet struck North America, South America, Europe, and western Asia ~12,800 years ago. Multiple airbursts/impacts produced the YD boundary layer (YDB), depositing peak concentrations of platinum, high-temperature spherules, meltglass, and nanodiamonds, forming an isochronous datum at >50 sites across ~50 million km² of Earth’s surface. This proposed event triggered extensive biomass burning, brief impact winter, YD climate change, and contributed to extinctions of late Pleistocene megafauna. In the most extensive investigation south of the equator, we report on a ~12,800-year-old sequence at Pilauco, Chile (~40°S), that exhibits peak YD boundary concentrations of platinum, gold, high-temperature iron- and chromium-rich spherules, and native iron particles rarely found in nature. A major peak in charcoal abundance marks an intense biomass-burning episode, synchronous with dramatic changes in vegetation, including a high-disturbance regime, seasonality in precipitation, and warmer conditions. This is anti-phased with northern-hemispheric cooling at the YD onset, whose rapidity suggests atmospheric linkage. The sudden disappearance of megafaunal remains and dung fungi in the YDB layer at Pilauco correlates with megafaunal extinctions across the Americas. The Pilauco record appears consistent with YDB impact evidence found at sites on four continents.
more
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38089-y

Whether that specific crater is involved remains unknown ....that there IS a crater that could be involved in addition to the now globe spanning evidence of impact certain strengthens the hypothesis.
That the crater team avoided controversy is neither here nor there.

Last edited by macdoc; 27th April 2019 at 03:39 AM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 07:26 AM   #154
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
More support for the impact theory on Younger Dryas,,,southern hemisphere



more
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38089-y

Whether that specific crater is involved remains unknown ....that there IS a crater that could be involved in addition to the now globe spanning evidence of impact certain strengthens the hypothesis.
That the crater team avoided controversy is neither here nor there.
I'll take that with a large pinch of salt, given the amount of times their work has been criticised previously. This will likely end the same way, if anybody can still be bothered to refute it.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 05:10 PM   #155
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
More support for the impact theory on Younger Dryas,,,southern hemisphere
The authors do discuss the controversial nature of the theory and a concern with their study.
Quote:
First proposed in 20071, the YDB impact hypothesis is still controversial a decade later because a number of independent studies have raised questions about the proposed YDB impact event. (1) The authors of several studies13,14,15 have argued that dating accuracy and precision are insufficient to determine whether YDB proxies are coeval across the many sites. (2) Five of 13 independent studies were unable to confirm the presence of peaks in YDB magnetic spherules (see Supplementary Information, “Previously reported evidence of YDB magnetic spherules” for details). (3) Three studies13,14,15 noted that sediment sampling at YDB sites is typically discontinuous, except at and around the YDB layer, where sampling spanned at most a few thousand years, making it difficult to know whether the “impact assemblage” of indicators is unique to the YDB (Supplementary Table S1). The same concern applies to this study in which we sampled continuously at high resolution for ~300 years across the YDB layer and sporadically before and after, totalling ~17,000 years. (4)
My concern is in the next paragraph. Proponents compare this to the "well-known Cretaceous-Tertiary (K-T) boundary layer" which is found globally. Likewise there is the 780,000-year-old Australasian impact event. But I do not recall evidence that there is a widespread "YDB layer". The papers I have seen are like this one - related to individual craters.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 08:59 PM   #156
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by Starthinker View Post
You're all thinking along the wrong lines. We need to blow the Earth in two so the asteroid/comet goes between the two halves.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:01 PM   #157
Cheetah
Master Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,120
New research supports hypothesis that asteroid contributed to mass extinction

Quote:
The team, led by Professor Francis Thackeray of the Evolutionary Studies Institute at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, discovered evidence of a remarkable "platinum spike" at a site called Wonderkrater in the Limpopo Province, north of Pretoria in South Africa. Working with researcher Philip Pieterse from the University of Johannesburg and Professor Louis Scott of the University of the Free State, Thackeray discovered this evidence from a core drilled in a peat deposit, notably in a sample about 12 800 years old. This research was published in Palaeontologia Africana.

Quote:
Noting that meteorites are rich in platinum, Thackeray said "Our finding at least partially supports the highly controversial Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis (YDIH). We seriously need to explore the view that an asteroid impact somewhere on earth may have caused climate change on a global scale, and contributed to some extent to the process of extinctions of large animals at the end of the Pleistocene, after the last ice age."
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 2nd October 2019 at 11:03 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 02:29 AM   #158
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
I would want to see this in a more impactful journal. The lead author appears to have previously been associated with palaeoanthropology studies in Africa. The journal is a publication of the University of Witwatersrand, and is open access. Not sure about peer-review. There is no DOI number for the paper, and I cannot find it on Google Scholar. As such, it is unlikely to garner much attention other than due to the fact that it has been picked up on by a sci-news aggregate. Most likely due to a PR from the University itself.

The Younger Dryas interval at Wonderkrater (South Africa) in the context of a platinum anomaly
Thackeray, F. J. et al.
http://wiredspace.wits.ac.za/bitstre...=3&isAllowed=y
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Last edited by jonesdave116; 3rd October 2019 at 02:35 AM.
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2020, 07:55 PM   #159
MattNelson
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 150
Instead of starting with a huge text block full of sources in support of the Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis, I'll introduce y'all to Antonio Zamora with his "Younger Dryas Rap." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRNiSFNE9c


Regardless of that you must read his paper (or PDF) from Geomorphology -- "A Model for the Geomorphology of the Carolina Bays" (Received 8 September 2016, Received in revised form 10 January 2017, Accepted 12 January 2017, Available online 20 January 2017)

or watch his 5-minute video summarizing, "Mechanism for the creation of the Carolina Bays" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCzdxrI2k-E

Zamora's credentials are explained in the new Graham Hancock book (which I just finished and now plan to mine for data to present in this thread) titled America Before:

Quote:
Antonio Zamora has a multidisciplinary background in chemistry, computer science, and computational linguistics. Mr. Zamora was born in Mexico and came to the US at an early age. He studied chemistry at the University of Texas (BS 1962), and computer and information science at Ohio State University (MS 1969). During his service in the US Army from 1962-1965 [...] He holds thirteen patents. ...
(notes on p. 572)

The "Carolina Bays" include around 500,000 elliptical ponds, depressions, and lakes with raised rims dotting the US Atlantic seaboard from Delaware to Florida. In the paper Zamora connects the little-known "Nebraska Rainwater Basins" using ballistic equations to find the source of at least one impact in Michigan's Saginaw Bay, which was then land covered by deep glacial ice.

On a different subject, it's sad to see such criticism of the impact hypothesis using words like "conspiracy" by YouTuber Anton Petrov (437K subscribers) in his 2018 video "No, a Comet Didn't Destroy Advanced Civilization 12800 Years Ago" --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIuR_vKZks4
MattNelson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:46 PM   #160
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 26,422
Originally Posted by MattNelson View Post
Instead of starting with a huge text block full of sources in support of the Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis, I'll introduce y'all to Antonio Zamora ...
Antonio Zamora is basically a geology crank. A retired computer consultant who wrote some science fiction and fiction on the Carolina Bays.
The geomorphology of the Carolina Bays is well known. The geology and dating of the bays is whet makes Zamora into a crank. The bays have measured dates that are older than 60,000 to 140,000 BP. They were not created in a single event about 12,900 years ago ! There is no consistent geological evidence of formation by impact.

It is obvious that people who believe that a comet destroyed an advanced civilization 12800 years ago are cranks. YouTuber Anton Petrov not only made his No, a Comet Didn't Destroy Advanced Civilization 12800 Years Ago video, he listed the scientific evidence against the fantasy.
Quote:
Scientific evidence in the links below

In this video, we will talk about a hypothesis that has been hitting the media trying to connect the recent discovery of a crater in Greenland with extinction of human civilizations and megafauna. Here are some facts instead.
The conspiracy theory is not explicitly stated but the ancient advanced civilization cranks tend to believe that governments and scientists are hiding evidence that supports their imagined civilizations.

The impact is undated and may be from 10,000 to 3 million years old.
There is evidence of an impact ~12,000 years ago corresponding with the Younger Dryas (YD) but no known connection with the Greenland impact.
The 'ancient civilization' idea stems from Göbekli Tepe. At least 1 conspiracy theorist interprets one religious art in this temple complex as a "some kind of a stellar event" (a bird holding a 'comet').
YD then extinctions 2000 years later. Populations survived on islands. That suggests humans as a cause.
Göbekli Tepe built 700-1000 years after YD glaciation and lasted for 2000 years before being abandoned and preserved.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.