ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags aquariums

Old 24th October 2017, 11:18 AM   #121
el zone
Thinker

thank you so much for stopping in! Its merely the weekly servicing. All salt mixes, regardless of brand or parameter drift, mix to a level that all hobby corals will support.

As large tankers, you guys are nearly required to do partial water changes since all 100% water changes are too work intensive. $$ too

you have skimmers, various forms of algae scrubbing, all manner of ways that deal with internal breakdown of protein (metabolic waste and the feed we add)

our pico reefs are weekly rascals

we are exporting proteins, before they have a chance to breakdown. its all about that weekly (occasional misses not a big deal, my own tank now runs 8 weeks in between work a lot of time though I must top off obviously)

but that vase packed with sps and lps? one gallon, five mins to change it all 100%.

we measured in the early days the calcium demands and alk demands of a few sps and lps frags, its not much though in large tanks, with large colonies, it sure can be.

in all these little pico reefs, doesn't matter what kind of salt you use, if you are changing out the water weekly in 5 mins effort then you will never have parameter drift (impacting param drift) no matter how many frags you pack in. that brain coral alone is eight pounds of command not counting the others. 1 week is a safe zone habit, it can probably go longer.

Nontechnical types do better without testing requirements/titration nuances etc so its better to just blanket change weekly.

Also, don't forget the reason we like these setups, they're less work than large tanks not more (though we don't get any cool fish ha!)

my bowl requires once a week topoff, and uses no form of auto topoff mechanism. so they're actually quite stable, and, we produce frags from them for trade. I do hope you set one up at least at work, or for a kiddo or in an alternate mancave etc.

The only measures it takes to run a stony coral reefbowl is salinity measurement and temp. we do not need to know calcium, alk, magnesium, sr, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, none of them. phosphate, nope.

If any of you have the ability to get one of these into a classroom, via spouse or yourself, lets do. I have been at this 17 yrs not going anywere, we could custom guide one via email for the next decade easily. tech support on hand not a prob.

before pico reefs, cost for an sps and lps-supporting aquarium- no less than 800 dollars.

Last edited by el zone; 24th October 2017 at 11:38 AM.
el zone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:35 AM   #122
el zone
Thinker

for anyone considering, here's a darn close parts breakdown and working scheme:

get the light from amazon

Tuna API 12 or 24 watt reef bulb doesn't matter which one just get the tuna API reef light for 25$ its amazing.

grows all coral, no reef lights are $25 but this one is a hidden gem.

get a glass vase from anywhere, don't use square standard tanks or you wont get our evaporation control. research how we get lids from a garden center planter dish that when inverted, happen to seat on the -inner diameter- of the vases neck

none of these lids rest on top of the lip

or overhang it

100% of them press from the inner diameter out, and that's how you can bubble up under them without putting saltcreep all over the place. the lid directs the splash back down into the tank 24x7

so now we have the proper vase and lid.

get a cheap 6 inch thermostat controlled submersible aquarium heater, 78 degress is ideal

cut a tiny access notch in the lid to allow for the airline (bubbler input) and the heater, zip tie the cables nice n tight

get some live sand from a pet store, rinse the crap out of it with saltwater till it runs purely clean and add it to the vase.

get some of the nicest live rock already from a reef tank one can find (there are online ways to bring up dry rock=boring.com use live rock)

put the sand and live rock and heater and bubbler and water in the vase and fill it all up

leave it running a week or so, practicing temp control. do a water change for practice. new keepers need to learn the basics of prepping saltwater and storing it.

you will see the vase is simple and just bubbles there all day. some little bugs might scurry around from the rock you bought

practice water changes, verify temps, verify your salinity requirements.

then buy twenty bucks of cheap corals and enjoy your upcoming addiction. we feed the reefs frozen reef food and then change all the water weekly 100%, ad infinitum until an errant nerfball takes things out.

light $25 pls shipping
vase 10
heater 30
airstone and setup 25
live rock small 10xx
live sand 10xx
water prep stuff about 30xx to get started

corals, easy frags avg 10xx apiece.

miscellaneous costs add 30

Last edited by el zone; 24th October 2017 at 11:37 AM.
el zone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:38 PM   #123
el zone
Thinker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEcxtiZpE0

is this thing a dinosaur or what.

I bet if we checked with other reef tank owners on this site, few are as old as the 1st pico reef she is one. tough. cookie.

just an update team, any science experiment this old is worthy to review each decade. see ya'll in 2030. Im keeping it all in one thread so the history of skepticism can be charted, its relevant here

the system has produced about 200 quality coral frags for trade.

lets build someone here a reefbowl.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017...-jan-feb-2018/

Last edited by el zone; 29th January 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 30th January 2020, 12:46 AM   #124
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

It's a teenager now! Hope it doesn't start talking back to you.

Puts my gallon fishbowl to shame. (My betta and moss balls seem happy enough, though)
Old 1st February 2020, 07:08 PM   #125
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I saw an ecosystem aquarium about six months ago. It was an amazing thing to see. I could watch it for hours and must have taken a lot of ingenuity and skill to create and maintain it. The bizzare thing was the number of religious icons and statues around the house.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 08:59 PM   #126
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've had any number of really bad home aquariums. The fish were lucky to live a day or two.

ETA: Crappe. Or Carppe. Should have noticed it's a zombie thread.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 1st February 2020 at 09:00 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:25 PM   #127
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It was raised from the dead by its creator.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 06:50 PM   #128
el zone
Thinker

hey guys its no zombie for sure. Im really into marine science and this little rascal is my crystal ball (crystal ball for predicting what captive reef tanks will do, before they do it, by modeling special biological clues that upscale to larger tanks)

skepticism used to be very stacked against these little guys, and that was understandable. at the time they were introduced the marine science of the day did not allow chemically for such a mix to survive, some decent skepticism is shown here in early pages

regardless of anyone's stance on environmental changes/causes its not really a matter of debate that the great barrier reef (for example) has reached its highest bleaching rate, ever.

So picture twenty thousand of these bowls being ran by laypersons, not scientists...using set order of ops. we keep frags/ gene lines of those dying corals alive inland, then reseed one day.

That changes the game on coral conservation, you would be amazed at the range of corals that habituate into tiny spaces, then we do tricks with lids that make the evaporation stop and the 1 gallon reef becomes stable, for as long as you can keep nerf balls away from it ha nice.

The system has ZERO lifespan limit, it will live 400 years if you just keep up the pace of feed, water change once a week. Mine's been on that mode since 2006. check out our work reviews, here, look at Maritza's vase they have about four thousand dollars in top shelf sps corals in that fishbowl, that one is 8 years old~
see page 30
https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017...s-inside-look/

Last edited by el zone; 12th February 2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12th February 2020, 09:14 PM   #129
grunion
Philosopher

Hey El zone, happy eleventh anniversary. Thanks for checking back in and great to see the project still going strong. I hope your great grandchildren are prepared to take over someday. I just hope that coral will still exist in the wild. I reread the thread from the beginning and wonder if there are any mistakes you made at first that you would warn against. Continued success to you and the pets.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:23 AM   #130
el zone
Thinker

Thank you friend for posting, for sure 100% there is something I would have done differently, this iteration of the bowl above is the 2nd version

the first reefbowl (and the first sps pico reef made at 1 gallon) was made in 2001 and following the old reef rules of that day and age, you cannot do big water changes or remove/handle live rock as it would be killed. That early era of reefkeeping was so hands off, in fear of bacterial insult, that many tanks were just wiped out by algae and thats what happened to the first reefbowl. red algae killed it

nowadays, owing to round-earth proof and updated reef microbiology, we know we can simply lift out an algae rock, hit it with a blue jet flame lighter or some peroxide or ten other approaches, and kill the algae independent from all tank nutrient parameters. ie, we dont have to sit idly and watch tanks get wrecked anymore, true microbiology tells us we are free to clean, guide and garden with no harm to the reef.

I would have been hands on if I had clear vision and could go back in time. reefbowl one wouldve been 20 yrs old if it was alive

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology