ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elon musk

Old 29th June 2018, 01:36 PM   #161
macdoc
Philosopher

Amazing numbers

https://electrek.co/2018/06/25/tesla...tory-employee/
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 04:25 PM   #162
crescent
Illuminator

SpaceX launching Crew Dragon early tomorrow morning on an uncrewed test flight to ISS. Crewed launch tentatively set for July or August.

Falcon Heavy set for launch sometime later this month. One website says March 7, another just lists it as "March".

Tesla Model 3 now available at $35k.

Telsa has had several profitable quarters, although they have not yet had a fully profitable year.

Musk ought to be banned from Twitter for his own good, but his two flagship companies seem to be functioning pretty well.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 05:02 PM   #163
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
SpaceX launching Crew Dragon early tomorrow morning on an uncrewed test flight to ISS. Crewed launch tentatively set for July or August.
Between those two launches is one that I am really looking forward to watching, the Crew Dragon In-flight abort test.... scheduled for May

AIUI, this involves launching a Falcon 9 topped with an unmanned Crew Dragon capsule, then at around Max-Q, executing the abort sequence, where the escape motors fire to drag the capsule away from the booster, then the booster is destructed by the ground crew, and the capsule parachutes into the Atlantic where it is recovered.

Essentially, the mission is deemed a success if the capsule is saved and the rest of the rocket explodes. Should be spectacular

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st March 2019 at 05:03 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:07 AM   #164
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Another flawless launch.

Crew Dragon is deployed and heading for the ISS where it is scheduled to dock at 6am tomorrow EST

Stage 1 was successfully landed on the drone ship OCISLY 900 km downrange (the 35th time they have done so from 42 attempts)

Docking will be streamed on SpaceX's YouTUbe channel at

https://www.youtube.com/spacex
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:11 AM   #165
Mr Clingford
Master Poster

Yeah, it's awesome being able to see the launches - I liked the floaty Planet Earth.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:06 AM   #166
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

For those doubters out there who dont see the benefits of a space flight programme, and who thing we should be spending the miney solving problems here on Earth, here is Jim Bridenstine, the Director of NASA talking about those benefits at the post launch press conference...

https://youtu.be/HuXPLtJXd14?t=2200
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:09 AM   #167
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Another flawless launch.

Crew Dragon is deployed and heading for the ISS where it is scheduled to dock at 6am tomorrow EST

Stage 1 was successfully landed on the drone ship OCISLY 900 km downrange (the 35th time they have done so from 42 attempts)

Docking will be streamed on SpaceX's YouTUbe channel at

https://www.youtube.com/spacex
And the docking appears to have gone smoothly, last big test for this flight is re-entry in a few days time.
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:44 AM   #168
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And the docking appears to have gone smoothly, last big test for this flight is re-entry in a few days time.
Hatch opening will be in couple of hours (its 12:45 am here and I'm not waiting
up for it!).
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:10 AM   #169
Garrison
Illuminator

When they opened the hatch I half expected 'Ripley' to jump up, take off a mask and reveal it was Elon Musk all along.
Old 3rd March 2019, 02:21 PM   #170
Doubt
Philosopher

Hatch opening will be in couple of hours (its 12:45 am here and I'm not waiting
up for it!).
I watched it dock and just listened for a while and then watched again when the opened the hatch. Good to see but not as exciting as a launch.
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:52 PM   #171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I watched it dock and just listened for a while and then watched again when the opened the hatch. Good to see but not as exciting as a launch.
I was quite surprised by the hours of extensive testing they had to do before opening the hatch. Then when they finally opened it, they put on masks and breathing equipment before going in, then they took air samples... what a rigmarole!

Do they go through all this hours long procedure every time a capsule docks?
Old 4th March 2019, 08:53 AM   #172
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

On unmanned vessels, because there's no one to tell them that the air is perfectly good. Also depends on what's inside the capsule. IIRC the cooling systems on Crew Dragon uses ammonia as a refridgerant and the engines use monomethyl hydrazine and dinitrogen tetroxide. All of those are pretty nasty chemicals that don't need high concentrations to cause severe effects.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 12:20 AM   #173
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Dragon Capsule is about to undock for return to Earth (7:31 am GMT)

Here live if anyone else happened to be watching

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th March 2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 8th March 2019, 06:38 AM   #174
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Drogue deployment

Main deployment
Old 8th March 2019, 06:40 AM   #175
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

..... and...... SPLASHDOWN!
Old 8th March 2019, 08:48 AM   #176
Mr Clingford
Master Poster

Yup, looks to be safely down.

Onwards and upwards.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 02:00 PM   #177
Garrison
Illuminator

Managed to take a break at work just in time to watch the splashdown, very nice and the capsule is on its way home, to be put on top of another rocket it will probably blow to pieces.
Old 8th March 2019, 02:35 PM   #178
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Only comment I would make is that I would not want to be be an astronaut who has just spent 300+ days in microgravity, now in a weakened physical state, to return to earth and be bobbing around on the ocean for 45 minutes before they get me out.

I hope the capsule has a good supply of sick-bags!
Old 9th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #179
Garrison
Illuminator

Only comment I would make is that I would not want to be be an astronaut who has just spent 300+ days in microgravity, now in a weakened physical state, to return to earth and be bobbing around on the ocean for 45 minutes before they get me out.

I hope the capsule has a good supply of sick-bags!
Yeah SpaceX have already said they are looking to tighten that part of the procedure up.
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:12 PM   #180
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

All those people that went short on Elon have lost out big time. Tesla shares booming again.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:46 AM   #181
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
All those people that went short on Elon have lost out big time. Tesla shares booming again.

Tesla rarely makes a profit. Some quarters have been profitable, but they have yet to have a whole year where they break even.

So here is my question about Tesla:

How much of the lack of profitability is due to basic business issues such as the cost of making the cars in comparison to sales price and numbers, and how much is due to reinvesting profits back into the company by building more and more factories? The factory in China is now entering production mode and the factory in Berlin is under construction.

Are they not profitable because they are just not profitable? Or are they not profitable because they keep reinvesting profits back into growing the company's manufacturing infrastructure and into R&D?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 05:27 AM   #182
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Tesla rarely makes a profit. Some quarters have been profitable, but they have yet to have a whole year where they break even.

So here is my question about Tesla:

How much of the lack of profitability is due to basic business issues such as the cost of making the cars in comparison to sales price and numbers, and how much is due to reinvesting profits back into the company by building more and more factories? The factory in China is now entering production mode and the factory in Berlin is under construction.

Are they not profitable because they are just not profitable? Or are they not profitable because they keep reinvesting profits back into growing the company's manufacturing infrastructure and into R&D?
Well, which of those leads to this kind of growth in vehicles produced and sold, while adding a completely new model every few years?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...le-deliveries/
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2020, 07:28 PM   #183
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The weird thing about Musk and Tesla is I have been reading they are headed for a crash almost every single day for years. And yet they keep chugging along. They outsell all the other EVs on the market combined

His tunnel company is a joke. And the solar continues to be a flop and if it doesn't start to do better fairly quickly it will fail. And as fast as perovskite solar is progressing, his silicon tile roofs will not be price competitive. Hyperloop is the idea he put out there, but his involvement and investment is pretty much nill.

Space-X is what has been carrying him. I just don't know what to make about Tesla the car company. Everyone I know who owns one loves theirs. But I read another article that because of Tesla debt, they are likely to default on a bunch of loans. Is this true? I don't know.
Old 27th January 2020, 04:45 PM   #184
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The weird thing about Musk and Tesla is I have been reading they are headed for a crash almost every single day for years. And yet they keep chugging along. They outsell all the other EVs on the market combined

His tunnel company is a joke. And the solar continues to be a flop and if it doesn't start to do better fairly quickly it will fail. And as fast as perovskite solar is progressing, his silicon tile roofs will not be price competitive. Hyperloop is the idea he put out there, but his involvement and investment is pretty much nill.

Space-X is what has been carrying him. I just don't know what to make about Tesla the car company. Everyone I know who owns one loves theirs. But I read another article that because of Tesla debt, they are likely to default on a bunch of loans. Is this true? I don't know.
GM and Ford each have about $90B in debt, while Tesla has $10B. It's not an unusual amount of debt considering their rapid expansion, and they are far better placed than Ford/GM/etc to take advantage of a swing in the market toward electric vehicles because of what they've been spending on battery manufacturing. It's just shorts trying to manipulate the market and reduce their losses.

Perovskites are a dead end. Low efficiency, short lifetimes, plus people are not going to cover their roofs with organolead compounds while simultaneously going to heroic measures to eliminate any trace of lead from electronic devices because of what little might leach out of them in a landfill. Especially organolead compounds in panels built to be dirt cheap and replaced in a matter of years. Solarcity's main problem seems to be Chinese competitors that don't exactly play fair.

SpaceX has been successful and can now easily support itself, but has hardly been "carrying" him. There just isn't that much money in space launch, and it's not enough to do what he wants with SpaceX, hence Starlink.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 05:17 PM   #185
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
GM and Ford each have about $90B in debt, while Tesla has $10B. It's not an unusual amount of debt considering their rapid expansion, and they are far better placed than Ford/GM/etc to take advantage of a swing in the market toward electric vehicles because of what they've been spending on battery manufacturing. It's just shorts trying to manipulate the market and reduce their losses.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...united-states/

Tesla has a very small market share (less than 2% of the US market) and a limited number of plants. At this time any comparison between Tesla and the rest of the auto market are difficult to quantify without creating distortions given the number of metrics that can be used to compare them.

Also the rest of the auto manufacturers have been working on electric vehicle tech for quite some time. Tesla did give them a big kick in the butt to get moving, however.

As an example I used to work for a company called American Axle. After the GM bankruptcy AAM picked up a Volvo group from GM that was designing electric rear axles that could work with either an all electric vehicle or a hybrid. The first customer was to be Jaguar. Since I left AAM I have not been following their progress. But the conventional wisdom in in Europe, the US and Japan is that serious electrification will start with European luxury brands and then move on to the whole of the Asian market. The Americas will convert over last.

This means there already is quite a bit of movement that Tesla will have trouble countering. Building a plant in Asia was the best thing they can do. But if they don't ramp up fast enough they could get run over when the Americas convert to electric because of the scale of all the larger companies in the world can bring to the table.
Old 27th January 2020, 06:47 PM   #186
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...united-states/

Tesla has a very small market share (less than 2% of the US market) and a limited number of plants. At this time any comparison between Tesla and the rest of the auto market are difficult to quantify without creating distortions given the number of metrics that can be used to compare them.

Also the rest of the auto manufacturers have been working on electric vehicle tech for quite some time. Tesla did give them a big kick in the butt to get moving, however.

As an example I used to work for a company called American Axle. After the GM bankruptcy AAM picked up a Volvo group from GM that was designing electric rear axles that could work with either an all electric vehicle or a hybrid. The first customer was to be Jaguar. Since I left AAM I have not been following their progress. But the conventional wisdom in in Europe, the US and Japan is that serious electrification will start with European luxury brands and then move on to the whole of the Asian market. The Americas will convert over last.

This means there already is quite a bit of movement that Tesla will have trouble countering. Building a plant in Asia was the best thing they can do. But if they don't ramp up fast enough they could get run over when the Americas convert to electric because of the scale of all the larger companies in the world can bring to the table.
Tesla can't match the production of the others in wheels and frames, but electric cars need batteries, and Tesla's ahead in battery production and in expansion of that production capacity. The others will be able to catch up, but it's going to take time and money (and a further expansion of that debt), with Tesla outproducing and outselling them in the electric vehicle segment the whole time.

Tesla also has an edge in motor technology. Many of the motors they use are induction motors, which don't need rare earth magnets. The "permanent magnet switched reluctance" motors presumably do use them, but may not need them in as great quantity as in the permanent magnet motors most of their competitors use. This could be as logistically significant as the battery production when it comes to ramping up vehicle production.

Also, you mention Tesla's Chinese production, but seem unaware of Giga Berlin/Gigafactory 4. Tesla's actively pursuing the markets you mention.
Old 27th January 2020, 07:39 PM   #187
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
Tesla can't match the production of the others in wheels and frames, but electric cars need batteries, and Tesla's ahead in battery production and in expansion of that production capacity. The others will be able to catch up, but it's going to take time and money (and a further expansion of that debt), with Tesla outproducing and outselling them in the electric vehicle segment the whole time.
Actually that probably may be where Tesla's future might be. Auto companies and the suppliers buy and sell to each other. Tesla may have a better future just making batteries.

Quote:
Tesla also has an edge in motor technology. Many of the motors they use are induction motors, which don't need rare earth magnets. The "permanent magnet switched reluctance" motors presumably do use them, but may not need them in as great quantity as in the permanent magnet motors most of their competitors use. This could be as logistically significant as the battery production when it comes to ramping up vehicle production.
AC motors in electric cars are not at all an idea that came from Tesla. GM's early EVs used them. They are lighter than permanent magnet motors. Also those are not the only two options. DC motors can be built to allow for electromagnets instead of permanent magnets. However that will create a greater draw on the batteries. See the link:

https://www.boldbusiness.com/transpo...ne-better-evs/

Quote:
Also, you mention Tesla's Chinese production, but seem unaware of Giga Berlin/Gigafactory 4. Tesla's actively pursuing the markets you mention.
Yes, I missed that one. Seems likely they will be selling to other companies.
Old 29th January 2020, 05:33 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Musk an awful lot like his idol Tesla..a genius who is also capable of doing and saying some really crazy stuff.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:44 AM   #189
malbui
Beauf

Every time I see a headline that EM has made some public pronouncement I brace myself in case it’s at the stupid end of the spectrum.

At the same time, I have this week gone past 10,000km in my Model 3 and it remains the most extraordinary car I’ve ever owned, after 33 years of driving and more cars than I could easily list.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:34 AM   #190
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He makes music too...

Elon Musk's new EDM single reviewed – 'Bringing erectile dysfunction to the masses!'

Originally Posted by The Guardian
The Tesla and SpaceX CEO has dropped Don't Doubt Ur Vibe on Soundcloud – a wannabe dancefloor banger that somehow manages to doubt its own vibe.

Like Charles Foster Kane splashing his millions on promoting his mistress’s disastrous opera career, very rich men have, in recent years, displayed a certain tendency to come to grief when dabbling in the field of music. First, the now-incarcerated pharma bro Martin Shkreli bought the only extant copy of the Wu-Tang Clan’s album Once Upon a Time in Shaolin and, as a result, was first called “a ********”, “the Michael Jackson nose kid”, “the man with the 12-year-old body” and “a fake super-villain” by the group’s Ghostface Killah, and then became the subject of a Wu-Tang Clan diss track. Not, one suspects, the response he expected when he ponied up $2m for their CD. Now Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk – net worth $34.4bn – has launched a parallel career as an EDM artist, posting a track called Don’t Doubt Ur Vibe on Soundcloud.

It’s bootless to point out that if it wasn’t by a tech billionaire, no one would give Don’t Doubt Ur Vibe a second thought, indistinguishable as it is from umpteen competent but unthrilling bits of bedroom electronica posted elsewhere on Soundcloud. But it is by a tech billionaire, so it racked up 270,000 plays in four hours. What they’ve heard is a vocal – apparently by Musk himself – that repeats a dreadful little motivational-poster homily ad infinitum through a vocorder over wafty mid-tempo Euro-trance. There’s a kind of rounded-edged take on an old-fashioned 303 acid line that appears about two minutes in and reappears at the track’s conclusion, and the occasional pitch-bent racing-car-speeding-past drone, but it’s been made by someone with what you might charitably describe as a shaky grasp of musical dynamics. It keeps going in for lengthy buildups that don’t actually build up to anything: the drums roll, the tension mounts, then the track just picks up where it left off. Curiously, something about the way the vocal is placed over the backing track makes it feel oddly hesitant: “Don’t doubt your vibe”, it keeps insisting, doubtfully.

Ironically, what Don’t Doubt Ur Vibe really sounds like isn’t a primetime dancefloor banger, but the kind of atmospheric, inoffensive music that might play in the background at the launch of a new car. Still, at least it comes with an unexpected bonus: if you leave Soundcloud running after the track ends, the app, for reasons that aren’t entirely clear (algorithms? Mischievous intent?) immediately moves from the nascent oeuvre of Elon Musk to the work of a rapper called almndjoy, automatically playing his track Erectile Dysfunction, with its diverting opening line “I’m sorry my dick doesn’t work”. Languishing unnoticed on Soundcloud for a year, it’s seen a vast upsurge in plays since Musk’s track made its debut, replete with a series of comments indicating that “Elon brought me here”. Perhaps that will be Elon Musk’s most lasting musical legacy: he’s brought Erectile Dysfunction to the masses...
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-doubt-ur-vibe
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:47 AM   #191
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Every time I see a headline that EM has made some public pronouncement I brace myself in case it’s at the stupid end of the spectrum....
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He makes music too...
That was not quite a question-and-answer dialogue, but still...
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:24 PM   #192
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Perhaps if he had brought out the video earlier the shorters would not have lost so much.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:02 AM   #193
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, Musk's song is bad. I expect that it existing is not entirely unrelated to his girlfriend being an EDM producer.

Which isn't to say that I think she helped him with it, because she's better at it than he is.
Old 4th February 2020, 02:40 PM   #194
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Musk is really good at some things, really bad at others.
I just have problems with all the people who worship him and think he can do no wrong.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:19 AM   #195
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Musk is really good at some things, really bad at others.
I just have problems with all the people who worship him and think he can do no wrong.
Examples?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology