ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Allais Effect , Dark Flow , relativity , Theory of Relativity

Old 13th January 2020, 01:04 PM   #2361
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post
So what happened to the other two universities and the two (at least two) survey companies you asked to take readings?
I'm sure he has excuses for each one. For example:

Old 13th January 2020, 01:07 PM   #2362
Gamolon
Master Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I'm sure he has excuses for each one. For example:

Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:16 PM   #2363
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Usual ignorant delusions and lies about "TR" (theory of relativity)

Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
TR is not capable to comprehend physic responsible for :...
14 January 2020 Bjarne: Usual ignorant delusions and lies about "TR" (theory of relativity)
The main delusion is that his RR, etc, delusions that comprehend nothing are supported by gaps in mainstream comprehension. Lot of lies about non-relativistic phenomena, e.g. the origins of oceans.
  1. The debated dark flow is comprehended as an effect of gravity from mass outside of the visible universe.
  2. GR explains dark energy (a positive cosmological constant).
  3. Dark matter as non-baryonic particles is the realm of quantum mechanics.
  4. Repeats an deluded lie that the Pioneer Anomalies are no comprehended as a thermal recoil effect.
  5. 'Oumuamua's non-gravitational acceleration is possibly solar radiation pressure.
  6. The Allais Effect has been debunked.
  7. "The planet X inclination pattern" gibberish.
    There is no planet called X. There were proposed Planet X's to explain orbital irregularities that lead to the discovery of Pluto. There is suggestions of massive trans-Neptunian objects that are labeled "Planet X"'s.
  8. "Spooky Alignment of Quasars Across Billions of Light-years" is not relativity.
  9. "Mysterious Ring Galaxies" is not relativity.
  10. A "Arp. Halton Controversy" lie.
    Arp. Halton had invalid ideas about quasars, e.g. being ejected from galaxies because he basically imagined alignments. There was no controversy because his invalid ideas were ignored.
  11. "Mysterious dance of dwarf galaxies" is not relativity.
  12. A "Jupiter's Migration Miracle" lie and not relativity .
    Models using Newtonian gravity show that the current Solar System results from a Jupiter migrating from closer to the Sun from the textbook physics of interaction with Saturn, etc.
  13. A "Extrasolar Hot Jupiter: Planets That 'Shouldn’t Exist'" lie and not relativity .
    Hot Jupiters were a surprising discovery with current explanations.
  14. The origins of Earth's oceans is not relativity !
  15. The history of Mercury is not relativity !
  16. A deluded "what we have is noting as speculation" lie about the origin of the Moon and not relativity!
    Origin of the Moon
  17. "Mysterious Ultra-Red Galaxies" are not relativity.
  18. A deluded "how did some galaxies without dark matter form" question and not relativity.
  19. "More than 99,9999999999999999999 % of the universe, we dont understand" insanity.
    We understand close to 100% of the universe - that is the Lambda-CDM cosmology model + the Standard Model.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:59 AM   #2364
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Breaking the Fourth Wall for a Moment

I'd like to ask everyone to lay off Bjarne for a bit. He just gave us a good hunk of content with the whole "Dark Flow proven by eclipse" storyline, but now that the eclipse has passed and there are no readings to discuss, trying to drag out that arc will just result in increasingly sad "excuses for the plot holes" posts like the one below:

Yes but invoice for the repair was first pay last week, so the meter was send back too late
Let's all give Bjarne a rest so he can come up with some new content. I'm largely pleased with how the last arc played out, even though it ended with more of a whimper than anything else. If we keep harping on the lackluster conclusion it will only draw out efforts to either continue the storyline or worse yet, encourage Bjarne to try and use it as the basis for the next arc. There isn't enough meat on those bones for another arc. Anything else derived from it will be a thin broth indeed.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:19 PM   #2365
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed.

Hans
Old 14th January 2020, 02:08 PM   #2366
malbui
Beauf

I'm happy for Bjarne to stay on as showrunner, but I reckon he needs to bring in a really top-notch script editor to keep things tight and avoid repetition, and also hire a good scientific advisor to make sure the pseudoscience at least sounds coherent and vaguely plausible.

Might also be worth planning a season of say 10 really chunky episodes rather than a full 23-episode run that risks getting flabby in the middle.
Old 14th January 2020, 02:30 PM   #2367
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I'm happy for Bjarne to stay on as showrunner, but I reckon he needs to bring in a really top-notch script editor to keep things tight and avoid repetition, and also hire a good scientific advisor to make sure the pseudoscience at least sounds coherent and vaguely plausible.

Might also be worth planning a season of say 10 really chunky episodes rather than a full 23-episode run that risks getting flabby in the middle.

I disagree on the need for a science advisor. Bjarne’s complete disconnect from real science is the core of the humor. It would be like having Archie from “Duffy’s Tavern” consult a dictionary before speaking or having Cliff Calvin fact check. Having Bjarne work with someone who actually understands science at a layman’s level or better would ruin the joke.

I agree with you on the need for tighter runs. This one, despite the flabby finish, was tight, fast, and stuck to the core until just before the end. We’ve had a LOT of flabby, haphazard episodes from Bjarne. I think the first 85% to 90% of this run should be Bjarne’s targeted quality level from here on out.
Old 14th January 2020, 02:43 PM   #2368
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The next eclipse isn’t until June, so Bjarne should have plenty of time to get everything ready.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 03:41 PM   #2369
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I know Bjarne is not doing this with any intention to troll.

The fact that he often makes insulting comments doesn't mean we have to be insulting in return.

No virtue signalling here, I have been joining in on pile-ons quite a lot in the past, I have often been one of the worst offenders.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 04:03 PM   #2370
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
As far as I know Bjarne is not doing this with any intention to troll.

The fact that he often makes insulting comments doesn't mean we have to be insulting in return.

No virtue signalling here, I have been joining in on pile-ons quite a lot in the past, I have often been one of the worst offenders.

I am convinced he is trolling. I do not believe for one second that he is sincere. I am playing along with what I consider to be an obvious piece of extended performance art. I am not trying to be insulting or mean. I am trying to offer sincere and constructive feedback to someone who is putting a lot of effort into a comedy routine.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:15 PM   #2371
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

... DTU's CG 5 was in USA for calibration, and was not home 10 January .
He mentions the DTU which first appeared in this thread over a year ago: 6 June 2018 Bjarne: A "DFA is soon a indisputable fact" lie by linking to one of his PDFs on the internet.

What he has is a November 10, 2017 "Extension to the Cause of the Allais Effect Solved" paper in the dubious 'Frontiers of Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology' journal. No reputable journal would accept a paper that does not give proper credit to the people who collected the data or even give the data! The uncited "DTU (Denmark)" did some gravimeter readings near the Scoresbysund airport from 7 August 21.50 UTC to 8 August at 09.08.

The lie is that he predicted "about 50 µGal" in his previous article when it was 35 μGal (±10 μGal). His prediction has a maximum force and so acceleration at the time of he eclipse. No measurements were done at the time of the eclipse! The measured peak is hours after the eclipse. Thus 7 June 2018 Bjarne: A "35 μGal (±10 μGal) significant anomaly at the time measurement was done" double lie.

DTU = Technical University of Denmark.

Last edited by Reality Check; 14th January 2020 at 08:21 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 03:18 AM   #2372
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

While we’re waiting for Bjarne’s next installment, here’s an article about the aether, the inspiration and model for Bjarne’s mythical “Dark Flow.”

The Eternal Quest for Aether, the Cosmic Stuff That Never Was

Quote:
Aristotle called it the fifth element. Alchemists thought it was the key to the philosopher’s stone. Scientists believed it was the stuff light moved through. But it never existed at all.
One of the parts I find the most interesting is that the death of the aether theory lead to the theory of the universal speed of light. This in turn is what lead to Relativity. The death of the theory Bjarne’s character is championing in rebranded form lead to the theory he claims to be attacking.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:47 AM   #2373
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

AH, Bjarne seems to have taken a holiday from this forum, as he usually does when the going gets rough.

Hans
Old 25th January 2020, 02:35 PM   #2374
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
AH, Bjarne seems to have taken a holiday from this forum, as he usually does when the going gets rough.

Hans

That or “Solon” is a sock puppet account of his and he’s just switching up the nonsense being peddled for humor value.
Old 25th January 2020, 04:30 PM   #2375
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

That or “Solon” is a sock puppet account of his and he’s just switching up the nonsense being peddled for humor value.
No dice. Solon writes fine English, and has a totally different agenda.

Hans
Old 25th January 2020, 08:32 PM   #2376
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

No dice. Solon writes fine English, and has a totally different agenda.

Solon could be his sober persona and Bjarne what he does when he falls off the wagon.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:52 PM   #2377
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Do you think any of these physics crackpots ever read each other's theories and think "what a crackpot"?
Old 26th January 2020, 10:34 AM   #2378
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Do you think any of these physics crackpots ever read each other's theories and think "what a crackpot"?
Well, if you notice, they mostly avoid discussing with each other. Which is a bit interesting: While they presumably view anybody who disagree with them as crackpots, they obviously strongly prefer to discuss with scientifically minded people.

Hans
Old 26th January 2020, 10:35 AM   #2379
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Solon could be his sober persona and Bjarne what he does when he falls off the wagon.
Well, I don't wanna discuss persons in this thread, but if those two are the same IRL, that person has some SERIOUS isues!

Hans
Old 27th January 2020, 06:46 AM   #2380
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I don't wanna discuss persons in this thread, but if those two are the same IRL, that person has some SERIOUS isues!
Just imagine how much worse it would be for them if the mods found evidence of sock puppetry!
Old 27th January 2020, 11:12 AM   #2381
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Just imagine how much worse it would be for them if the mods found evidence of sock puppetry!
A drop in the ocean, IMHO.

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology