ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2019, 06:48 PM   #1
philippeb8
Muse

Finite Theory: Historical Milestone in Physics

- I wrote a theory that was previously debated here:
https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...14#post2464214

- Other than a missing galactic rotation curve without dark matter and a missing experiment proposal in the debate, I've showed the exact solution for the time dilation cancellation altitude, the perihelion shift, the light bending. It also explains the expansion of the universe without dark energy and the mass of the invisible universe encompassing the visible universe.

- I'm basically saying the last 300 years of physics are all wrong.

- Those who do not believe me can answer this simple thought experiment:

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. Can the star spin on its own and if so at what speed will the fire be ejected given an angular velocity omega?
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 07:53 PM   #2
sackett
Philosopher

Interesting Ian, is that you?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:05 PM   #3
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Interesting Ian, is that you?
No.
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:25 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
- I'm basically saying the last 300 years of physics are all wrong.
That's a good way to start.

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. Can the star spin on its own and if so at what speed will the fire be ejected given an angular velocity omega?
Stars aren't on fire.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Molinaro
Illuminator

The galactic rotation curve is not missing in your theory. It is flat out wrong and contradicts experimental data. Therefore, you theory is proven to be wrong. A wrong theory cannot be used to prove 300 years of physics to be wrong.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:33 PM   #6
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
The galactic rotation curve is not missing in your theory. It is flat out wrong and contradicts experimental data. Therefore, you theory is proven to be wrong. A wrong theory cannot be used to prove 300 years of physics to be wrong.
I just didn't have a "pretty" curve but now I do. Please pay attention to the thought experiment.

Thanks.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:36 PM   #7
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I wrote a theory that was previously debated here:...
And is still as invalid as it was when that thread started in 2012. An impossible claim and a rather silly question makes it even more dubious.
The last 300 years of physics includes 300 years of testing that show that the laws of physics work.
Of course a hypothetical star in an empty universe can have any spin that anyone wants to assign to it - it is hypothetical!
If you want to know at what angular velocity stellar plasma would be ejected from a spinning star then you can look it up yourself.

Let us go through the obvious errors:
Definition 1: Nonsense that is ignorant about the definition of a reference frame.
Definition 2: Ignorance about the existence of SR and relativistic kinetic energy.
Hypothesis 1: More ignorance about reference frames and SR.
Hypothesis 2: Some nonsense about time dilation and kinetic energy.
Fudge Factor of the Solar System: "Fudge Factor" says it all !
A list of equations popping out of nowhere.
Some nonsense about stuff inside/outside of "the sphere".
Ending with totally wrong "Galactic Rotation Curve".

Last edited by Reality Check; 4th December 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:39 PM   #8
JeanTate
Illuminator

<snip>

What sort of star is it?
A brown dwarf?
A red dwarf?
A red giant?
A red supergiant?
A Wolf-Rayet?
A Cepheid?
A white dwarf?
A neutron star?
A black hole?
Some other kind of star?
None of the above?
All of the above?

What is the metric for this toy universe?

If thereís just ď1 starĒ, how can it be observed (to estimate the angular velocity, and measure the properties of any ďfireĒ)?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:42 PM   #9
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
And is still as invalid. An impossible claims and a rather silly question makes it even more dubious.
The last 300 years of physics includes 300 years of testing that show that the laws of physics work.
Of course a hypothetical star in an empty universe can have any spin that anyone wants to assign to it - it is hypothetical!
If you want to know at what angular velocity stellar plasma would be ejected from a spinning star then you can look it up yourself.
Then you got the answer wrong because there is no absolute frame of reference!

Well here you go: disproving 300 years of physics was done quite rapidly...
Old 4th December 2019, 08:42 PM   #10
JeanTate
Illuminator

I just didn't have a "pretty" curve but now I do. Please pay attention to the thought experiment.

Thanks.
And I have an invisible pink unicorn under my desk. One of the thousands from the bottom of my garden (no, theyíre not fairies, I asked them).
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:59 PM   #11
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A delusion that spin needs a "absolute frame of reference"

Then you got the answer wrong because there is no absolute frame of reference!
5 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that spin needs a "absolute frame of reference".
Spin is just a property of an object and we can assign your hypothetical star any value of spin that we want, which was the question you asked: Can the star spin on its own. Or is the question even worse - you expect the star to stars as not spinning and magically spin up?

Measuring classical spin needs a fixed point of reference. On the other hand replace your star with an electron and even that is not needed. Electrons have intrinsic spin. But I am sure you have some fantasy to overturn QM theory and empirical evidence !

Last edited by Reality Check; 4th December 2019 at 09:04 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 09:05 PM   #12
philippeb8
Muse

5 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that spin needs a "absolute frame of reference".
Spin is just a property of an object and we can assign your star a value of spin. Measuring classical spin needs a fixed point of reference.
In other words the star cannot eject fire because the reference frame spins with the star.

Last edited by philippeb8; 4th December 2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:08 PM   #13
philippeb8
Muse

Measuring classical spin needs a fixed point of reference. On the other hand replace your star with an electron and even that is not needed. Electrons have intrinsic spin. But I am sure you have some fantasy to overturn QM theory and empirical evidence !
I specifically pointed out the universe is empty so there is no point of reference.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:09 PM   #14
JeanTate
Illuminator

In other words the star cannot eject fire because the reference frame spins along with the star.
If I am not mistaken, English is not a language you feel you are totally comfortable using. If so, you might like to reconsider what you wrote, with a view to editing it.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:11 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

In other words the star cannot eject fire because the reference frame spins along with the star.
No, the star cannot eject fire because stars aren't on fire.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 09:12 PM   #16
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
If I am not mistaken, English is not a language you feel you are totally comfortable using. If so, you might like to reconsider what you wrote, with a view to editing it.
Thanks.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:12 PM   #17
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation 4 years of not understanding why your galaxy rotation curve are wrong

5 December 2018 philippeb8: 4 years of not understanding why your galaxy rotation curve are wrong!
I pointed this out at cosmoquest.
FT fails to calculate the rotation curve of the Milky Way and is invalid on 21 October 2015.
Look at a measured galaxy rotation curve for M 33. There is no sharp peak. There are no wiggles. Your theory fails to match the data. Thus your theory is still wrong. on 16 October 2018.

5 December 2018 philippeb8: A year of not understanding that the universe does not have a center?
Old 4th December 2019, 09:12 PM   #18
JeanTate
Illuminator

I specifically pointed out the universe is empty so there is no point of reference.
And I specifically asked you how anything could be measured if there is no observer.

I also asked you about the 1 star; now Iíll ask you why that star cannot be used to describe a reference frame.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:18 PM   #19
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down An "In other words" lie when my post does not say anything about ejecting "fire"

In other words the star cannot eject fire because the reference frame spins with the star.
5 December 2019 philippeb8: An "In other words" lie when my post does not say anything about ejecting "fire".
In fact it is the reverse. Spin up a star enough and it will eject plasma. We can assign that star any spin that we want and that will have physical effects such as ejecting plasma if high enough.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:19 PM   #20
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

If you read my post, that stops us from measuring the spin as I highlighted in bold there and do again here. We can assign any spin that we want to a hypothetical star.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:20 PM   #21
JeanTate
Illuminator

If the universe is empty, it cannot contain any stars. Not even 1 star.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:25 PM   #22
philippeb8
Muse

5 December 2018 philippeb8: 4 years of not understanding why your galaxy rotation curve are wrong!
I pointed this out at cosmoquest.
FT fails to calculate the rotation curve of the Milky Way and is invalid on 21 October 2015.
Look at a measured galaxy rotation curve for M 33. There is no sharp peak. There are no wiggles. Your theory fails to match the data. Thus your theory is still wrong. on 16 October 2018.

5 December 2018 philippeb8: A year of not understanding that the universe does not have a center?
Here's a pretty curve for you:
Old 4th December 2019, 09:27 PM   #23
philippeb8
Muse

If you read my post, that stops us from measuring the spin as I highlighted in bold there and do again here. We can assign any spin that we want to a hypothetical star.
No you can't because there is nothing to relate it to.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:28 PM   #24
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation FT theory that starts as ignorant about perihelion precession

5 December 2019 philippeb8: An FT theory that starts as ignorant about perihelion precession!
A "Perihelion Precession" equation that is V(r) when perihelion precession is a rotation of the axis of an orbit such as Mercury's 574 arcsec/Julian century Later there is an excuse of this being a "effective gravitational potential".
Old 4th December 2019, 09:29 PM   #25
philippeb8
Muse

And I specifically asked you how anything could be measured if there is no observer.

I also asked you about the 1 star; now Iíll ask you why that star cannot be used to describe a reference frame.
That's exactly what I said: the star defines the reference frame.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:31 PM   #26
philippeb8
Muse

5 December 2019 philippeb8: An FT theory that starts as ignorant about perihelion precession!
A "Perihelion Precession" equation that is V(r) when perihelion precession is a rotation of the axis of an orbit such as Mercury's 574 arcsec/Julian century Later there is an excuse of this being a "effective gravitational potential".
Reality Check changes the subject again...
Old 4th December 2019, 09:35 PM   #27
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question Possible stupidity of a "pretty curve" seemingly debunking FT

5 December 2018 philippeb8: Possible stupidity of a "pretty curve" seemingly debunking FT?
A relatively minor point is that the curve is smooth unlike the FT curves from a year ago with their peak and waves. The possible stupidity is this FT curve does not fit the "Dark Matter" or "No Dark Matter" curves, whatever they are.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:38 PM   #28
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "Reality Check changes the subject again" lie when this is your FT thread

Reality Check changes the subject again...
5 December 2019 philippeb8: A "Reality Check changes the subject again" lie when this is your FT thread.
You cited your FT post on cosmoquest.
5 December 2019 philippeb8: An FT theory that starts as ignorant about perihelion precession! is an blatant error you made in that post.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:43 PM   #29
philippeb8
Muse

5 December 2018 philippeb8: Possible stupidity of a "pretty curve" seemingly debunking FT?

A relatively minor point is that the curve is smooth unlike the FT curves from a year ago with their peak and waves. The possible stupidity is this FT curve does not fit the "Dark Matter" or "No Dark Matter" curves, whatever they are.

It explains you donít need dark matter to explain the rotation curve at all. Finite Theory adds a spin to the reference frame of the galaxy, just like the thought experiment.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:43 PM   #30
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A fantasy that a hypothetical scenario cannot be assigned hypothetical quantities

No you can't because there is nothing to relate it to.
5 December 2018 philippeb8: A fantasy that a hypothetical scenario cannot be assigned hypothetical quantities
He has a hypothetical star. Any quantities at all can be assigned to it including spin. We can make it a black hole with a spin of X (but none of his fire!) .
Not having a fixed point of reference just means an observer cannot measure that spin: 5 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that spin needs a "absolute frame of reference".
Old 4th December 2019, 09:48 PM   #31
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "donít need dark matter to explain the rotation curve at all" fantasy

It explains you donít need dark matter to explain the rotation curve at all.
5 December 2019 philippeb8: A "donít need dark matter to explain the rotation curve at all" fantasy when all he has is a cartoon with no explanation, physics or math.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:51 PM   #32
JeanTate
Illuminator

Hmm ...

The star defines the reference frame

The universe is empty so there is no point of reference

?? What am I missing?
Old 4th December 2019, 09:53 PM   #33
philippeb8
Muse

5 December 2019 philippeb8: A "donít need dark matter to explain the rotation curve at all" fantasy when all he has is a cartoon with no explanation, physics or math.

If you donít understand ďadds a spinĒ then there is not much I can do...
Old 4th December 2019, 09:56 PM   #34
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation FT "adds a spin to the reference frame of the galaxy" gibberish

Finite Theory adds a spin to the reference frame of the galaxy, just like the thought experiment.
5 December 2019 philippeb8: FT "adds a spin to the reference frame of the galaxy" gibberish.
One rational choice of reference frame for a galaxy is one that spins with the galaxy so there is no spin at all! Other choices of reference frame for a galaxy give the galaxy its appropriate spin, e.g. the one we observe.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:59 PM   #35
philippeb8
Muse

Hmm ...

The star defines the reference frame

The universe is empty so there is no point of reference

?? What am I missing?

You understand much better than Reality Check already...

The universe is empty so the star itself defines the frame of reference.

If you have a black whole next to the star then the black hole will define the frame of reference... and so on.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:00 PM   #36
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A delusion that "adds a spin" is a scientific theory

If you don’t understand “adds a spin” then there is not much I can do...
5 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that "adds a spin" is a scientific theory or a coherent explanation!
The full nonsense is: 5 December 2019 philippeb8: FT "adds a spin to the reference frame of the galaxy" gibberish.

Can we then get rid of his "dark matter" by selecting a reference frame spinning with galaxy spin with his added FT spin that pops out of nowhere? Or make more "dark matter" by selecting a different reference frame?

Last edited by Reality Check; 4th December 2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:11 PM   #37
JeanTate
Illuminator

Stars, even in toy universes, are made of matter. Specifically, hadrons and leptons (and perhaps some CDM).

Those which have one or more nuclear fires in their bellies (I.e excluding stars like white dwarfs and neutron stars), emit neutrinos. In all directions. As thereís nothing but a solitary star in the toy universe, the outer boundary of the star tends to infinity. So the toy universe is quickly filled with a CNB.

Ditto photons, so a CPB.

Some stars run out of gas and their cores collapse. Hadrons and leptons stream out, also eventually filling the toy universe. So a CMB

But wait! Photons below a certain frequency cannot propagate in at least parts of the CMB!

The toy universe is developing quite a lot of structure, outside the 1 star (not to mention the rich structure within that 1 star).

But wait! Our particle physics friends tell us that not all particles are spherically symmetric. And at least some such are certainly present in most kinds of star. And random motions etc will generate anisotropies, albeit mostly very small. And impermanent.

Your toy universe is becoming a very complicated place, wouldnít you say philippeb8?
Old 4th December 2019, 10:20 PM   #38
philippeb8
Muse

5 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that "adds a spin" is a scientific theory or a coherent explanation!

The full nonsense is: 5 December 2019 philippeb8: FT "adds a spin to the reference frame of the galaxy" gibberish.

Can we then get rid of his "dark matter" by selecting a reference frame spinning with galaxy spin with his added FT spin that pops out of nowhere? Or make more "dark matter" by selecting a different reference frame?

Masses all have their own reference frame but their importance is proportional to their mass amplitude. Just like what I was saying in the thought experiment.

So an entire galaxy got its own reference frame which does influence the rotation curve.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:30 PM   #39
JeanTate
Illuminator

Masses all have their own reference frame but their importance is proportional to their mass amplitude. Just like what I was saying in the thought experiment.

<snip>
Really?

Do I recall correctly? That masses which are protons, for example, have constituents (quarks) whose total mass is faaar below that of the proton?

Oh, and your toy universe does not have the property your just magically assigned it.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:32 PM   #40
JeanTate
Illuminator

You understand much better than Reality Check already...

The universe is empty so the star itself defines the frame of reference.

If you have a black whole next to the star then the black hole will define the frame of reference... and so on.
You might like to re-read what you wrote. At a minimum thereís quite a bit of ambiguity.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology