ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:16 AM   #201
JeanTate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
So I don't understand what is missing. I debated the thought experiment from all angles and you can find the old CQ debate in the first post.
As that "debate" is online and can be accessed by anyone, for free, we can each make our own decisions about the extent to which you actually engaged in a debate, and the exten to which that debate included "the thought experiment from all angles".

Myself, I think tusenfem's characterization ("P did not really give any real answers, just handwaving") is accurate.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:26 AM   #202
Steve
Philosopher

So I don't understand what is missing. I debated the thought experiment from all angles and you can find the old CQ debate in the first post.
You cannot overturn established physics by debate. You must provide new physics.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:30 AM   #203
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
The "full" version of this "theory" is written out (which was closed at a certain point, and reopened at post 936 at page 32 and then basically closed on page 42 because P did not really give any real answers, just handwaving,
That's because I had the idea right but not a very "pretty rotation curve"; now I do:
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:33 AM   #204
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You cannot overturn established physics by debate. You must provide new physics.
You can find drafts here:
https://independent.academia.edu/PhilBouchard
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:38 AM   #205
Belz...
Fiend God

I know everybody was online so that's why it counted.
You don't know squat. You don't know what other people do during their time online. Stop posting nonsense.

Quote:
Chemical reactions that emit energy are the same thing.
First of all, no they're not. And second, the sun's energy source IS NOT CHEMICAL.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:40 AM   #206
Belz...
Fiend God

Well itís better than concluding there are 11 dimensions...
The fact that something is hard to understand or counter-intuitive does not make it wrong.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:41 AM   #207
Belz...
Fiend God

The GPS is nothing compared to what we could achieve:
- faster than light speed
- time travel into the future
- levitation
The GPS works specifically because of a theory that makes faster-than-light travel impossible.

Your ignorance of the fundamentals of the theories you profess to supplant is staggering.

Old 9th December 2019, 10:44 AM   #208
Belz...
Fiend God

Actually time travel into the future is the easiest to achieve by sending a higher flux of gravitons through a body and therefore achieving perfect cryonics for those who needs to be kept alive for a cure we do not yet have:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryonics
Gravitons surely would overturn much of known physics.

What's your plan to detect those?

Reality Check either knows heís wrong and is in a denial or knows heís wrong and decided to blur the evidence. Either way Reality Check knows heís wrong for sure.
What would be the purpose of obfuscating reality?

You lose automatically if you say "to control people".

Old 9th December 2019, 10:47 AM   #209
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
As that "debate" is online and can be accessed by anyone, for free, we can each make our own decisions about the extent to which you actually engaged in a debate, and the exten to which that debate included "the thought experiment from all angles".
Given we're in 2019, I agree I should work on a better visual presentation using 3D animations, etc.

Meanwhile I rely on people's personal imagination.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:48 AM   #210
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The fact that something is hard to understand or counter-intuitive does not make it wrong.
Good luck with that.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:56 AM   #211
philippeb8
Muse

Gravitons surely would overturn much of known physics.

What's your plan to detect those?
They can be easily detected indirectly with my experiment proposal. The rest is all in quantum physics' and engineers' hands.

Quote:
What would be the purpose of obfuscating reality?

You lose automatically if you say "to control people".
I suspect Reality Check is retired but is desperately trying to save his prestige by shuffling the cards of any underdog theory presenting a threat to the almighty Einstein. But Reality Check doesn't understand he's misleading an entire generation.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:08 AM   #212
JeanTate
Illuminator

<snip>

- Those who do not believe me can answer this simple thought experiment:

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. Can the star spin on its own and if so at what speed will the fire be ejected given an angular velocity omega?
Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. The star is composed entirely of iron, of isotope 56. It has a mass of 2x1032 kg.

What happens?

In particular, will it eject fire?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 11:11 AM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God

Good luck with that.
Good luck with what?

Do you understand the concept of a mirage, for instance? Your intuition tells you that there is a floating city above the ground. Your knowledge tells you otherwise. Likewise many scientific discoveries, some testable by yourself, defy our normal understanding.

But, and here's the important part: the universe is under no obligation to make sense to you, personally.

Old 9th December 2019, 11:11 AM   #214
philippeb8
Muse

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. The star is composed entirely of iron, of isotope 56. It has a mass of 2x1032 kg.

What happens?

Yes but not because of its spin.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:12 AM   #215
Belz...
Fiend God

They can be easily detected indirectly with my experiment proposal.
How? Explain.

Quote:
The rest is all in quantum physics' and engineers' hands.
I thought they weren't trustworthy?

Quote:
I suspect Reality Check is retired but is desperately trying to save his prestige
Prestige? What are you talking about?

Quote:
presenting a threat to the almighty Einstein.
And this is another classic woo-woo blunder: Einstein theories have been refined and modified and supplanted over the decades, you know? Science has moved beyond Einstein, but people who are ignorant of science don't know that.

Old 9th December 2019, 11:14 AM   #216
JeanTate
Illuminator

<snip>

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. Can the star spin on its own and if so at what speed will the fire be ejected given an angular velocity omega?
Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. The star is a single atom of curium, of isotope 250.

What happens?

Old 9th December 2019, 11:18 AM   #217
philippeb8
Muse

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. The star is a single atom of curium, of isotope 250.

What happens?

Old 9th December 2019, 11:21 AM   #218
JeanTate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JeanTate

What happens?

Please explain.

What, specifically, is the "fire" that it will "eject"?

Last edited by JeanTate; 9th December 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:22 AM   #219
JeanTate
Illuminator

What happens?

Please explain.

Old 9th December 2019, 11:24 AM   #220
JeanTate
Illuminator

<snip>

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. The star is a single atom of barium, of isotope 130.

What happens?

Old 9th December 2019, 11:25 AM   #221
philippeb8
Muse

How? Explain.
You can find a draft in the aforementioned Academia link.

Quote:
I thought they weren't trustworthy?
I never said that.

Quote:
Prestige? What are you talking about?
We all know prestige is an important factor in science for the proper selection of journals and professors; maybe too much...

Quote:
And this is another classic woo-woo blunder: Einstein theories have been refined and modified and supplanted over the decades, you know? Science has moved beyond Einstein, but people who are ignorant of science don't know that.
The only thing Einstein got right is the time dilation but there is a strong probability he plagiarized the idea from Lorentz. But I won't talk about what he got wrong (because it's a long list).
Old 9th December 2019, 11:29 AM   #222
philippeb8
Muse

Please explain.

Or "plasma" if you prefer.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:29 AM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

You can find a draft in the aforementioned Academia link.
No, I'm asking you to explain it to me.

Quote:
I never said that.
Did someone else write this, then:

Because I realized at a young age both politicians and the entire academia have a tendency to brainwash us for their agenda.

Also people havenít taken up the theory because they are too egocentric to admit they have been playing the game their entire lives.
?

Quote:
We all know prestige is an important factor in science for the proper selection of journals and professors; maybe too much...
Actually, we don't all know that. You think that, but that doesn't make it knowledge.

Quote:
The only thing Einstein got right is the time dilation but there is a strong probability he plagiarized the idea from Lorentz.
You have a lot of work to do to overturn his work, son.

Old 9th December 2019, 11:30 AM   #224
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm going to ask you point blank:

Explain what you think "plasma" is, and how it works.

Old 9th December 2019, 11:31 AM   #225
JeanTate
Illuminator

<snip>

Imagine you have an empty universe with 1 star in it. The star is a sphere of neptunium of isotope 236, with a mass of 100 kg.

What happens?

Old 9th December 2019, 11:35 AM   #226
JeanTate
Illuminator

Thanks.
Please explain.

Here is what I asked (bold added):

What happens?

What, in the magical philippeb8 universe, is the "plasma" in this case? Please be specific.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:48 AM   #227
philippeb8
Muse

No, I'm asking you to explain it to me.
It's like the Michelson-Morley experiment at a high velocity or against the frame of reference of the Earth, aboard the ISS. We will be able to detect a difference in wavelength depending on the direction the laser is traveling.

Quote:
Did someone else write this, then:
Quantum physicists and engineers are not politicians. And they're not forced to believe in the almighty Einstein's work.

Quote:
Actually, we don't all know that. You think that, but that doesn't make it knowledge.
I saw a report on it.

Quote:
You have a lot of work to do to overturn his work, son.
I admit Reality Check brought up smart arguments in the past but Reality Check is now resorting to word salad and shuffling the cards so it is obvious he ran out of scientific arguments.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:49 AM   #228
philippeb8
Muse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29
Old 9th December 2019, 11:52 AM   #229
JeanTate
Illuminator

It's like the Michelson-Morley experiment at a high velocity or against the frame of reference of the Earth,
Wait ... haven't there been quite a few such experiments done?

Haven't the results of those experiments been published?

Quote:
aboard the ISS.
Why?

What's so magical about the ISS?

Quote:
We will be able to detect a difference in wavelength depending on the direction the laser is traveling.
But exactly such experiments have already been done, haven't they?

Quote:
Quantum physicists and engineers are not politicians. And they're not forced to believe in the almighty Einstein's work.

<snip>
Interesting.

How do you class Steven Chu then?
Old 9th December 2019, 12:01 PM   #230
JeanTate
Illuminator

Thanks.

Please explain.

Here is what I asked (bold added):

What happens?

What, in the magical philippeb8 universe, is the "plasma" in this case? Please be specific.
Originally Posted by Belz...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29
You're joking, right?

Or something worse?

Please explain, in detail, how the "fire" "ejected" by a single atom of curium, of isotope 250 is a "plasma".

For avoidance of doubt, this is a pretty good example of the "few vague evasive responses" that Robin mentioned earlier, and "not really any real answers, just handwaving" that tusenfem described.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:09 PM   #231
philippeb8
Muse

No.

Quote:
Why?

What's so magical about the ISS?
Because it travels at 8000 m/s.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Interesting.

How do you class Steven Chu then?
As smart as Dr. Chu is technically, he is still a puppet used by the globalists' global warming propaganda because Dr. Chu doesn't even know hydrogen engines are already developed by Hyundai and Switzerland is a great hydrogen provider already.

Last edited by philippeb8; 9th December 2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:13 PM   #232
Belz...
Fiend God

It's like the Michelson-Morley experiment at a high velocity or against the frame of reference of the Earth, aboard the ISS. We will be able to detect a difference in wavelength depending on the direction the laser is traveling.
That's very vague.

Quote:
As I've explained to you, science has moved beyond Einstein now. The only people who think he's almighty are woo-woos.

Quote:
I saw a report on it.
You believe everything you see?

NO. Give me YOUR answer.

Old 9th December 2019, 12:27 PM   #233
philippeb8
Muse

That's very vague.
So for the same laser beams having the same energy, the wavelengths will be different depending on the direction it is emitted.

Quote:
As I've explained to you, science has moved beyond Einstein now. The only people who think he's almighty are woo-woos.
By saying that you're taking for granted Einstein was 100% right.

Quote:
You believe everything you see?
Yes but only when it makes sense.

Quote:
NO. Give me YOUR answer.
So you have different states of matter: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. Plasma is the one you get when the temperatures are extremely high.

Last edited by philippeb8; 9th December 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:33 PM   #234
Steve
Philosopher

Because it travels at 8000 m/s.

The Earth travels at approx. 30,000 m/s. Why is the speed of the ISS significant?
Old 9th December 2019, 12:34 PM   #235
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Good luck with that.
You're the one who will need the luck.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:35 PM   #236
Belz...
Fiend God

So for the same laser beams having the same energy, the wavelengths will be different depending on the direction it is emitted.
Again, I don't understand what you mean. Could you detail it further?

Quote:
By saying that you're taking for granted Einstein was 100% right.
By saying that we've MOVED ON from his theories onto BETTER theories I'm saying that he was 100% right? Dude, that's the exact opposite of what I'm doing.

Quote:
And how do you determine if it makes sense?

Quote:
So you have different states of matter: solid, liquid, gaz and plasma. Plasma is the one you get when the temperatures are extremely high.
That doesn't tell me what it is. What is it made of? How does it work?

You said it was chemical so I want to know where the issue lies.
You seem to be very loathe to put any effort into your answers.

Old 9th December 2019, 12:37 PM   #237
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

S

Read as: "only when I agree with it."

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:41 PM   #238
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The Earth travels at approx. 30,000 m/s. Why is the speed of the ISS significant?
Because the frame of reference spinning with the Earth cancels the 30,000 m/s for short altitudes below the geostationary orbit (where the gravitational acceleration strength of the Earth equals the gravitational acceleration strength of the Sun).
Old 9th December 2019, 12:42 PM   #239
JeanTate
Illuminator

No.
Really?

A couple of minutes' searching turned up (nowhere near a complete list):
de Sitter, 1913
Tomaschek, 1924
Kennedy, 1926
Illingworth, 1927
Kennedy-Thorndike, 1932
Ives-Stilwell, 1938
Brecher, 1977
Wolf, 2003
MŁller, 2007

Quote:
<snip>
Quote:
No.
Now I know you're joking.

Quote:
As smart as Dr. Chu is technically, he is still a puppet used by the globalists' global warming propaganda because Dr. Chu doesn't even know hydrogen engines are already developed by Hyundai and Switzerland is a great hydrogen provider already.
Wow, just ... wow!

Have you considered posting in the Conspiracy Theory board?
Old 9th December 2019, 12:49 PM   #240
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You're the one who will need the luck.
Well let's talk to each other in 6 years and we'll see where the research for dark matter and dark energy are. Deal?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology