ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th December 2019, 07:39 PM   #321
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
No of course he isn't implying a hard coded static grid.

Why? Because Reality Check is a faithful Einstein disciple?
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:41 PM   #322
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
10 December 2019 philippeb8: An ignorant "implying a hard coded static grid in the universe" delusion.

10 December 2019 philippeb8: An "impossible to measure the spin of a singular and uniform star in an empty universe" lie. is simply that an observer can measure the radius of a star in various directions to see how oblate it is or use a gyroscope for frame-dragging.

Ok so you canít understand this scenario. I thought it was simple but let me think about another one...
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:43 PM   #323
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
Why? Because Reality Check is a faithful Einstein disciple?
Again the weird obsession with with Einstein.

No, Reality Check is not implying any hard coded static grid.

Just because you say he is doesn't make it so.

I have given a number of reasons why there can be angular velocity without a preferred reference frame and you have ignored these.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:44 PM   #324
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

18 items of ignorance, delusion and lies from philippeb8 10 December 2019

1. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that a "pretty curve" supports his FT fantasy
  2. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: An ignorant fantasy that gravitons can produce "perfect cryonics"!
  3. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: Some deluded "GR + dark matter + parallel universes + wormholes + singularities" lies.
  4. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: Complete delusion that a geostationary orbit is "where the gravitational acceleration strength of the Earth equals the gravitational acceleration strength of the Sun".
  5. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: Complete ignorance about plasma and Einstein stupidity.
  6. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A deluded "Newton was wrong as well by disregarding rotating bodies" lie.
  7. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "Einstein knew both SR and GR were partly plagiarized" lie and propaganda delusion.
  8. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: More lies about Einstein, "adjusting" Einstein's constant, etc.
  9. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: An utterly deluded question when I gave the definition of a geostationary orbit.
  10. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: Ignorant gibberish that frame-dragging involves "lateral acceleration"
  11. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: An ignorant and lying question when I have answered this already.
  12. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "which is completely misleading" lie about a graphic illustrating frame-dragging (correctly!).
  13. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: An "impossible to measure the spin of a singular and uniform star in an empty universe" lie.
  14. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "Leibniz silenced in the history books" lie.
  15. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: An ignorant "implying a hard coded static grid in the universe" delusion.
  16. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "you canít understand this scenario" lie when all he has is a spinning star in an empty universe
  17. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "runs out of scientific arguments" delusion when scientific arguments will continue to address his ignorant fantasies.
  18. 10 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that my past arguments have been debunked.

Last edited by Reality Check; 9th December 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:47 PM   #325
Thermal
Philosopher

10 December 2019 philippeb8: An ignorant "implying a hard coded static grid in the universe" delusion.

10 December 2019 philippeb8: An "impossible to measure the spin of a singular and uniform star in an empty universe" lie. is simply that an observer can measure the radius of a star in various directions to see how oblate it is or use a gyroscope for frame-dragging.
Quick formatting query from the peanut gallery:

What's with the titling the post, followed by repeating the title line on the first line of the post, and the bolded datestamp and poster name followed by an insult? Why datestamp at all? Wouldn't 'Today' do, if someone was confused? Maybe following by glancing at the post date if in some kind of angst about chronology?

I mean, no arguments for content, but am a little mystified by the structure. Is this a reference or something?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:49 PM   #326
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Ok so you canít understand this scenario. I thought it was simple but let me think about another one...
No, lets stick to that one and see if we can get you to think about it for a change.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:50 PM   #327
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

What's with the titling the post, followed by repeating the title line on the first line of the post, and the bolded datestamp and poster name followed by an insult? Why datestamp at all? Wouldn't 'Today' do, if someone was confused? Maybe following by glancing at the post date if in some kind of angst about chronology?

I mean, no arguments for content, but am a little mystified by the structure. Is this a reference or something?

That is what Reality Check tends to do when he runs out of scientific arguments.
Old 9th December 2019, 07:53 PM   #328
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A "you canít understand this scenario" lie

Ok so you canít understand this scenario.
10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "you canít understand this scenario" lie when all he has is a spinning star in an empty universe.
I and other posters have explained the physics of a spinning star in an empty universe many times. It is possible to measure that spin. Moving the goalposts to a spinning uniform star in an empty universe just reduces the ways to measure that spin.
Everyone here understands that a statement that "fire" cannot be ejected due to spin is a delusion because increasing spin increases the centrifugal force. Eventually centrifugal force overcomes gravity and a spinning star will eject plasma.

He promises to construct another example that he may also not understand the physics of or will make up more ignorant fantasies about!
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:55 PM   #329
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The date and username and bolding makes it easier to find posts in the thread. I can just scan the thread or do a date + username search.
Old 9th December 2019, 07:56 PM   #330
Thermal
Philosopher

That is what Reality Check tends to do when he runs out of scientific arguments.
The poster's quality of thought seems solid. The delivery is unsettling. Just trying to figure out if it is a throwback to something, or if Reality Check works for police interrogators on the side.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:59 PM   #331
Thermal
Philosopher

The date and username and bolding makes it easier to find posts in the thread. I can just scan the thread or do a date + username search.
Ok, thanks. It just makes me pee a little.

Old 9th December 2019, 08:08 PM   #332
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The poster's quality of thought seems solid.
Are you referring to philippeb8 and his posts displaying deep ignorance of a lot of physics and touting his FT fantasies? Argument from ignorance is never solid thought.

Start by reading his OP and the incoherent scenario of a star in an empty universe and "fire" being ejected.
Have a look at the CQ thread he links to. He makes up some equations and never matches them to the real world. That is not science.
"I'm basically saying the last 300 years of physics are all wrong" is a fantasy not supported by anything he has presented.
Physics 101: It is possible to measure the spin of a real star, e.g. we do it for the Sun by just looking at the Sun (the rest of the universe need not be there!). We can time the rotation of sunspots and other features. We can measure how spin makes the Sun an oblate spheroid.
Astronomy 101: Minor point but stars are not on fire ! Stars are plasma, not fire. If he does not use the correct term we have to wonder what physics education he has.

Last edited by Reality Check; 9th December 2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:11 PM   #333
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A "runs out of scientific arguments" delusion when scientific arguments will continue

10 December 2019 philippeb8: A "runs out of scientific arguments" delusion when scientific arguments will continue to address his ignorant fantasies.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:14 PM   #334
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question Not answered FT questions

6 December 2019 philippeb8: What does your "Kinematical Time Dilation" predict for the Frisch-Smith experiment [for time dilation]?
8 December 2019 philippeb8: What does your "Kinematical Time Dilation" predict for the Hafele–Keating experiments (SR time dilation measured for travelling atomic clocks)?

ETA: A question from the CQ thread.
10 December 2019 philippeb8: What is your prediction for the time dilation of GPS atomic clocks due to the GPS satellite velocity and different gravitational potential (SR and GR predict the observed values).
The posts there imply that there will be an FT effect from the rotational velocity and your "Gravitational Time Dilation" that will be different from SR and/or GR. Give FT's values for the observed time dilation of atomic clocks on the GPS satellites.

ETA: An unsupported "The perihelion precession (exact solution)" assertion from the CQ thread pops up here.
10 December 2019 philippeb8: Give your derivation of this exact solution for perihelion precession and its match to the observed value(s).

Last edited by Reality Check; 9th December 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:14 PM   #335
sackett
Philosopher

Yeah, well, Phil has clearly discovered the secret of eternal youth. Cuz if he's more than 14 years old, then I'm Bertrand Russel. Or Jane Russel. Or some damn thing.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 08:14 PM   #336
philippeb8
Muse

The poster's quality of thought seems solid. The delivery is unsettling. Just trying to figure out if it is a throwback to something, or if Reality Check works for police interrogators on the side.

Reality Check had some smart arguments in the past but they were all debunked. So now he is resorting to shuffling the cards for a reason that is illogical because ATM theories are the only way to clean the pyramidal mess that theoretical physics has become.

So mainstream people are being paid to maintain the pyramid as it is and ATMers are doing this freely. It makes no sense to me but thatís the way it is.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:20 PM   #337
mgidm86
Philosopher

Are you referring to philippeb8 and his posts displaying deep ignorance of a lot of physics and touting his FT fantasies? Argument from ignorance is never solid thought.

Start by reading his OP and the incoherent scenario of a star in an empty universe and "fire" being ejected.
"I'm basically saying the last 300 years of physics are all wrong" is a fantasy not supported by anything he has presented.
Physics 101: It is possible to measure the spin of a real star, e.g. we do it for the Sun by just looking at the Sun (the rest of the universe need not be there!).
Astronomy 101: Minor point but stars are not on fire ! Stars are plasma, not fire. If he does use the correct terms we have to wonder what physics education he has.

I believe Thermal was saying that your posts are solid, other than the odd delivery, not philippeb8.

I too find the posting style a bit odd, Thermal just said it out loud, but then I don't have the patience or desire to entertain such nonsense and engage with such folk. It's a bit difficult to parse sometimes, but I'd imagine this type of discussion must be damn aggravating for you, so whatever you gotta do. It's not a criticism
Old 9th December 2019, 08:22 PM   #338
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A delusion that my past arguments have been debunked

Reality Check had some smart arguments in the past but they were all debunked. .
10 December 2019 philippeb8: A delusion that my past arguments have been debunked.
For example, I pointed out in that CQ thread that his "galaxy rotation curves" were not real galaxy rotation curves and had not been matched to real data. A year later and we get a graph out of nowhere and still no match to real data.

philippeb8: List my past arguments and the debunking of them.

Last edited by Reality Check; 9th December 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:24 PM   #339
mgidm86
Philosopher

Reality Check had some smart arguments in the past but they were all debunked. So now he is resorting to shuffling the cards for a reason that is illogical because ATM theories are the only way to clean the pyramidal mess that theoretical physics has become.

So mainstream people are being paid to maintain the pyramid as it is and ATMers are doing this freely. It makes no sense to me but thatís the way it is.

See, I can't participate because I'm far too big of an ******* when it comes to this kind of BS.

Nobody here believes you. I don't know what you think you're responding to.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:30 PM   #340
Thermal
Philosopher

Are you referring to philippeb8 and his posts displaying deep ignorance of a lot of physics and touting his FT fantasies?
No, I was responding to phillipeb8, referring to you. 'The poster' was you.

Old 9th December 2019, 08:32 PM   #341
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

For those who are interested, "the "adjusting" Einstein's constant kappa" lie is at least a year old since he states it n the CQ thread: That fudge factor, namely kappa in GR, was adjusted so that GR matches the observations.
philippeb8 has had a year to learn the textbook physics that Einstein's constant is a constant and comes from matching Newtonian gravity (the G in it is a big clue!).
Old 9th December 2019, 08:33 PM   #342
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

No, I was responding to phillipeb8, referring to you. 'The poster' was you.
Thanks for the complement then.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:33 PM   #343
phunk
Illuminator

I completely disregard the centripetal force
That's gravity when you're talking about an orbit. You disregard gravity when calculating gravity?

Quote:
and the Coriolis acceleration.
What's the coriolis acceleration of an orbit?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 08:33 PM   #344
Thermal
Philosopher

Let me ask you something, s'il vous plait. Do you think that if there was a paradigm shifting way of looking at the universe that upset our entire understanding...do you think that any physicist anywhere in out time would not jump all over this new frontier to be the new Einstein or Bohr or Heisenberg?

Old 9th December 2019, 08:41 PM   #345
Steve
Philosopher

Ok, thanks. It just makes me pee a little.
Thatís just an age thing. It helps if you try to avoid such stimulating threads.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:45 PM   #346
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Because itís irrelevant.
And another handwave. Admit it. You have no clue what those are, nor why they mess up your nonsense.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 08:52 PM   #347
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Yeah, well, Phil has clearly discovered the secret of eternal youth. Cuz if he's more than 14 years old, then I'm Bertrand Russel. Or Jane Russel. Or some damn thing.
Jack Russell is more likely. Those have an inbuilt triumph of enthusiasm over reality.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 09:03 PM   #348
philippeb8
Muse

Let me ask you something, s'il vous plait. Do you think that if there was a paradigm shifting way of looking at the universe that upset our entire understanding...do you think that any physicist anywhere in out time would not jump all over this new frontier to be the new Einstein or Bohr or Heisenberg?
I think the main problem is physics is cumulative so if there was a mistake in the past then nobody is willing to make the efforts of disproving 300 years of experiments. I did take the challenge and now I do have the exact solution and/or good approximation for:
- perihelion shift
- light bending
- time dilation cancellation altitude
- rotation curve without dark matter
- expansion of the universe without dark energy
- mass of the invisible universe encompassing the visible one

Where the latter is based on the estimated size of the invisible universe:
https://www.space.com/24073-how-big-...-universe.html

When looking at GR:
- perihelion shift
- light bending
- time dilation cancellation altitude

That's it. And I keep reading articles saying the expansion of the universe doesn't fit the theory of GR:
https://futurism.com/no-the-universe...physicists-say

I mean it's pretty much clear I have enough evidence at this point.

To answer your question: this is the first time I am presenting the evidence entirely so not everybody knows about FT yet. I am planning to give it away to the ISS National Lab and do some basic marketing of the upcoming book to put the word out there.

Last edited by philippeb8; 9th December 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:08 PM   #349
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Well I will wait to see this scientific revolution unfold. (Edited to add, but I don't think I shall hold my breath).

Meantime I am wondering why you posted the flawed logic in the thought experiment in this OP if you have all of that.

I am wondering why you have to be so evasive of the points made.

Last edited by Robin; 9th December 2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:14 PM   #350
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Just think, if the last 300 years of physics had not been wrong, we might today be able to talk to each other almost instantly from opposite sides of the globe.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:16 PM   #351
philippeb8
Muse

Well I will wait to see this scientific revolution unfold.

Meantime I am wondering why you posted the flawed logic in the thought experiment in this OP if you have all of that.
The concepts of the thought experiment were fine. I just didn't anticipate all the details.

Quote:
I am wondering why you have to be so evasive of the points made.
Because I wanted to focus on the concept and Reality Check has proven not to understand the thought experiment. That's what it comes down to.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:17 PM   #352
Steve
Philosopher

Just think, if the last 300 years of physics had not been wrong, we might today be able to talk to each other almost instantly from opposite sides of the globe.
For that you would have to discover a practical use for electricity.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:20 PM   #353
philippeb8
Muse

Using the quantum entanglement? I can't speculate on it but it's a possibility.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:28 PM   #354
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Using the quantum entanglement? I can't speculate on it but it's a possibility.
You may not have noticed, but we are talking to each other almost instantly from other sides of the globe right now.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:29 PM   #355
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
For that you would have to discover a practical use for electricity.
Nah, it'll never be more than a gimmick.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:19 AM   #356
steenkh
Philosopher

The concepts of the thought experiment were fine. I just didn't anticipate all the details.
Coming up with nice concepts is easy. The problem is always in matching the details to the real world.

Quote:
Because I wanted to focus on the concept and Reality Check has proven not to understand the thought experiment. That's what it comes down to.
To outsiders it is exactly opposite: You seem not to understand the details of your own thought experiment, but Reality Check does. And that is why you have failed so utterly in this thread.

Hand-waving and ignoring valid arguments is bad form. It has been pointed out here several times, and yet you persist. You attacks on RT as a person are only making you look worse, not better.

You would do better if you took a break from posting to actually understand the Wikipedia articles you refer to, rather than merely the titles.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 01:24 AM   #357
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So then youíre implying these people cannot be challenged or else...

Note that Newton, Michelson and Morley also made their share of mistakes. Were they all Jews?

Talking about Newton, why was Leibniz silenced in the history books?
The world is not made anew each day. You clearly have an issue with Jews and successful Jews at that.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:44 AM   #358
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I was overlooking the details. The thought experiment was conceptually flawed.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:06 AM   #359
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Coming up with nice concepts is easy. The problem is always in matching the details to the real world.

To outsiders it is exactly opposite: You seem not to understand the details of your own thought experiment, but Reality Check does. And that is why you have failed so utterly in this thread.

Hand-waving and ignoring valid arguments is bad form. It has been pointed out here several times, and yet you persist. You attacks on RT as a person are only making you look worse, not better.

You would do better if you took a break from posting to actually understand the Wikipedia articles you refer to, rather than merely the titles.

The concepts of the thought experiment was just fine. The details comes down to people trying to buy time.

So now Iím the one attacking RT? Thatís a good one.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:07 AM   #360
philippeb8
Muse

I was overlooking the details. The thought experiment was conceptually flawed.

How?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology