ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Solon
Student

Heat and Light from the Sun

I am searching for empirical scientific evidence that the Sun emits any heat (thermal infrared) or visible light when observed from outside of Earths atmosphere or outside of any other planet or moons atmosphere.
Acceptable proof would include a photograph of the Sun from clear space (not low Earth orbit) taken with the same type of equipment and exposure settings that we would use when photographing the Sun from Earths surface. e.g. film or digital camera and neutral density filter.
Direct measurement of the Suns heat using the same type of equipment that we use from Earths surface, e.g. a pyrheliometer.
Comments and observations on the appearance of the Sun from anyone who has been outside of low Earth orbit e.g. the Apollo astronauts.

Thank you.
Solon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:05 PM   #2
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Any photograph of a visible comet.
Old 20th January 2020, 02:08 PM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A grade schooler's understanding of basic thermodynamics and the simple fact that the sun creating heat in our atmosphere but not outside it is impossible isn't enough?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:09 PM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

SOHO has several instruments and we've taken photographs on the Moon. As Myraid points out, practically every object in the solar system is observed to be lit by the Sun with day/night cycles working exactly as expected.

What's the alternative idea?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:09 PM   #5
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Do I smell breakthrough scientific discovery ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:12 PM   #6
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I am searching for empirical scientific evidence that the Sun emits any heat (thermal infrared) or visible light when observed from outside of Earths atmosphere or outside of any other planet or moons atmosphere.
Acceptable proof would include a photograph of the Sun from clear space (not low Earth orbit) taken with the same type of equipment and exposure settings that we would use when photographing the Sun from Earths surface. e.g. film or digital camera and neutral density filter.
Direct measurement of the Suns heat using the same type of equipment that we use from Earths surface, e.g. a pyrheliometer.
Comments and observations on the appearance of the Sun from anyone who has been outside of low Earth orbit e.g. the Apollo astronauts.

Thank you.
Is 36,000 miles orbit sufficient? How about 1,000,000 miles?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:16 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So what's the theory here you leave the atmosphere and the sun is just... a nothing? No heat, no light.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So what's the theory here you leave the atmosphere and the sun is just... a nothing? No heat, no light.

That would explain why we canít see anything outside the Earthís atmosphere.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:24 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here is a Voyager photo of the sun from a very long way away. It's still very bright.
Old 20th January 2020, 02:31 PM   #10
phunk
Illuminator

This should be useful:

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/about/about.html
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:31 PM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also if I take a hammer outside the atmosphere does it still hurt if I smack myself in the face with it? Is there any empirical proof of this?
Old 20th January 2020, 02:43 PM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Isn't the Parker Solar Probe mining all of that data right now?

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:48 PM   #13
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
At first I didn't think that met the OPs requirements but now I think the WISPR camera on that probes qualifies. So, yeah.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:50 PM   #14
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

A digital image is proof of nothing. At least with film you know that light must have struck it, even it wasn't from the Sun in outer space. But a digital 'camera' image could have been produced entirely electronically without any light being involved.

I'm surprised that you are willing to accept such dodgy evidence. Why? Because if you doubt the well known scientific fact that the Sun produces light which travels through space, why would you accept a mere photograph that could easily be faked?
Old 20th January 2020, 02:50 PM   #15
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Mars rovers are solar-powered.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 03:00 PM   #16
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Here is a Voyager photo of the sun from a very long way away. It's still very bright.
That image has obviously been doctored.

Besides, how how do we know it was taken with the same type of equipment and exposure settings that we would use when photographing the Sun from Earths surface? I bet it wasn't.
Old 20th January 2020, 03:01 PM   #17
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Is this about some electric universe thing? Like, a hypothesis that the sun emits some kind of electric current instead of light, that only turns into light and heat when it reaches Earth's atmosphere (or anything else)?
Old 20th January 2020, 03:04 PM   #18
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Mars rovers are solar-powered.
Irrelevant. Mars has an atmosphere.
Old 20th January 2020, 03:13 PM   #19
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Is this about some electric universe thing?
Perhaps, but the details don't matter. The important thing is that if the Sun doesn't produce light that travels through space then Solar physicists are a bunch of incompetent fools who have been lying to us for years!
Old 20th January 2020, 03:13 PM   #20
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Is this about some electric universe thing? Like, a hypothesis that the sun emits some kind of electric current instead of light, that only turns into light and heat when it reaches Earth's atmosphere (or anything else)?
Nobody is quite sure what Solon proposes, mostly because he isn't either. Been there and done that. Had a sufficiency.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 03:57 PM   #21
JeanTate
Illuminator

Didnít at least some of the Apollo astronauts have a high end, conventional film camera? Arenít the photos they too publicly available?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 04:06 PM   #22
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Didnít at least some of the Apollo astronauts have a high end, conventional film camera? Arenít the photos they too publicly available?
The astronauts were toting Hasselblads for all the Apollo missions. For what it is worth, those are regarded in the photograpy fraternity as "OMFG, I wish I had that many". They are the creme de la creme.

And you are correct. All of the images are available publically. At a click. And the videos.

But these are mere facts. When did those ever get in the way of a CT?

Old 20th January 2020, 04:07 PM   #23
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Quote:
Multiple film cameras and at least one TV camera were on the first Moon landing alone.
Old 20th January 2020, 04:08 PM   #24
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

https://www.history.nasa.gov/apollo_photo.html
Old 20th January 2020, 04:18 PM   #25
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Looking forward to see where this is going.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 04:19 PM   #26
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Multiple film cameras and at least one TV camera were on the first Moon landing alone.
Ha. NASA was against lugging a video camera to the moon, why bring that extra deadweight?

Amusing in hindsight, but was a serious discussion at the time.

Old 20th January 2020, 05:30 PM   #27
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Thank you.
My advice would be for you to look at any planet, any moon, any comet, or any asteroid in our solar system because the way such objects are made visible to those on Earth is due to the vast amounts of visible light that is produced by the Sun.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:04 PM   #28
pzkpfw
New Blood

For reference:

ht tps://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?118217-Imaging-the-Suns-photosphere&highlight=solon

ht tps://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?115869-Seeing-Stars&highlight=

ht tps://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?140184-solon-s-fluorescence-process-thread&highlight=

etc

If I remember rightly, he thinks there's no "light" in space, and it's something magic in the atmosphere that turns whatever it is into visible light.

(Mangled URL's as I don't have the posting history yet.)
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:31 PM   #29
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
For reference:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...ighlight=solon

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...ars&highlight=

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...ead&highlight=

etc

If I remember rightly, he thinks there's no "light" in space, and it's something magic in the atmosphere that turns whatever it is into visible light.

Fixed links for you.

Old 20th January 2020, 08:31 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Wonder if they'll be back.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:34 PM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I can see the reflection of the sun on the Moon.
Can you?
Old 20th January 2020, 08:59 PM   #32
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you.
Dude, you can just go outside on a sunny day and feel the sun's heat on your skin. Ever get a sunburn?

The heat and light has to travel through the space between the sun and the earth to get here. I see no reason whatsoever to have even a shadow of a doubt about this. But if you really want to see pictures of the sun taken from satellites or probes in space, you can of course google those. You don't need to ask us.

(Is this going to be a flat earth thing? Because I'm having trouble thinking of a reason why someone would doubt this, unless they don't accept the basic current scientific understanding of the universe.)
Old 20th January 2020, 11:37 PM   #33
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The moon doesn't have an atmosphere. I can see the light from the sun reflected off the moon. It's strong enough that it can cast a shadow.

Myriad mentioned comets, which is good.

I can also see the sunlight reflected off of satellites, which is what makes them visible.

Our satellites and space probes are solar powered, so the fact that people can survive on ISS, that your GPS works, that communication satellites function, and that at least some of those probes sent pictures back relies on the light from the sun. Some of our space probes have been nuclear powered, but I'd have to look it up to know which.

Is that enough? I could probably think of some other lines of evidence to explore if you're still uncertain.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 12:15 AM   #34
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Also astronauts' space suits when they go on space walks need air conditioners because of the sun's heat and they need special films like sunglasses to protect them from direct sunlight.

Check out this story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiUfe92D0gk
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
Radiolab - Dark Side of the Earth [Dave Wolf]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
200 miles above Earth's surface, astronaut Dave Wolf -- rocketing through the blackness of Earth's shadow at 5 miles a second -- floated out of the Mir Space Station on his very first spacewalk. In this short, he describes the extremes of light and dark in space, relives a heart-pounding close call, and shares one of the most tranquil moments of his life.
When we were putting together our live show In the Dark, Jad and Robert called up Dave Wolf to ask him if he had any stories about darkness. And boy, did he. Dave told us two stories that became the finale of our show.
Back in late 1997, Dave Wolf was on his first spacewalk, to perform work on the Mir (the photo to the right was taken during that mission, courtesy of NASA.). Dave wasn't alone -- with him was veteran Russian cosmonaut Anatoly Solovyev. (That's a picture of Dave giving Anatoly a hug on board the Mir, also courtesy of NASA).

Out in blackness of space, the contrast between light and dark is almost unimaginably extreme -- every 45 minutes, you plunge between absolute darkness on the night-side of Earth, and blazing light as the sun screams into view. Dave and Anatoly were tethered to the spacecraft, traveling 5 miles per second. That's 16 times faster than we travel on Earth's surface as it rotates -- so as they orbited, they experienced 16 nights and 16 days for every Earth day.

Dave's description of his first spacewalk was all we could've asked for, and more. But what happened next ... well, it's just one of those stories that you always hope an astronaut will tell. Dave and Anatoly were ready to call it a job and head back into the Mir when something went wrong with the airlock. They couldn't get it to re-pressurize. In other words, they were locked out. After hours of trying to fix the airlock, they were running out of the resources that kept them alive in their space suits and facing a grisly death. So, they unhooked their tethers, and tried one last desperate move .

In the end, they made it through, and Dave went on to perform dozens more spacewalks in the years to come, but he never again experienced anything like those harrowing minutes trying to improvise his way back into the Mir.

After that terrifying tale, Dave told us about another moment he and Anatoly shared, floating high above Earth, staring out into the universe ... a moment so beautiful, and peaceful, we decided to use the audience recreate it, as best we could, for the final act of our live show.
Old 21st January 2020, 12:44 AM   #35
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
For reference:

ht tps://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?118217-Imaging-the-Suns-photosphere&highlight=solon

ht tps://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?115869-Seeing-Stars&highlight=

ht tps://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?140184-solon-s-fluorescence-process-thread&highlight=

etc

Wow; since some of those links go back 9 years, I suspect weíll be unsuccessful in convincing Solon heís wrong.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 01:47 AM   #36
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Dude, you can just go outside on a sunny day and feel the sun's heat on your skin. Ever get a sunburn?

The heat and light has to travel through the space between the sun and the earth to get here. I see no reason whatsoever to have even a shadow of a doubt about this. But if you really want to see pictures of the sun taken from satellites or probes in space, you can of course google those. You don't need to ask us.

(Is this going to be a flat earth thing? Because I'm having trouble thinking of a reason why someone would doubt this, unless they don't accept the basic current scientific understanding of the universe.)

I’ve seen something like this before. I think the underlying claim might be that the heat and light we feel and see is somehow caused by an interaction between (cold, dark) particles* emitted by the sun and the Earth’s atmosphere.

*ETA: What I’ve managed to find after a brief search says that it’s “electric rays” causing friction in the atmosphere, so maybe we’re in Electric Universe territory.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 21st January 2020 at 01:59 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 02:54 AM   #37
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The moon doesn't have an atmosphere. I can see the light from the sun reflected off the moon. It's strong enough that it can cast a shadow.

Myriad mentioned comets, which is good.

I can also see the sunlight reflected off of satellites, which is what makes them visible.

Possibly not if the OP thinks that the sun emits *things* which aren't light or heat which magically turn into light and/or heat once they interact with the Earth's atmosphere.

Those same *things* would be reflected from the moon or satellite and then magically turn into heat and/or light once they hit the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Our satellites and space probes are solar powered, so the fact that people can survive on ISS, that your GPS works, that communication satellites function, and that at least some of those probes sent pictures back relies on the light from the sun. Some of our space probes have been nuclear powered, but I'd have to look it up to know which.

Is that enough? I could probably think of some other lines of evidence to explore if you're still uncertain.
Possibly, but of course the solar panels could contain some of the Earth's atmosphere which would convert the *things* into light and/or heat and allow them to work.

It all depends on how sceptical deluded a person is.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 04:39 AM   #38
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Also astronauts' space suits when they go on space walks need air conditioners because of the sun's heat and they need special films like sunglasses to protect them from direct sunlight.

But that's the point! If they didn't carry around air, the sunlight wouldn't turn into heat! (... is what Solon will argue, I assume!)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 04:51 AM   #39
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But that's the point! If they didn't carry around air, the sunlight wouldn't turn into heat! (... is what Solon will argue, I assume!)
It's a fair cop - he got us.
Old 21st January 2020, 04:51 AM   #40
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Basically, yup.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/f...-about-our-sun

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology