IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags breatharians , obituaries , Prahlad Jani

Old 26th May 2020, 07:20 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Another monk bites the dust

Breatharian claimant Prahlad Jani has died.

Quote:
Prahlad Jani (Gujarati: પ્રહલાદ જાની), also known as Mataji or Chunriwala Mataji, (13 August 1929 ― 26 May 2020) was an Indian breatharian monk who claimed to have lived without food and water since 1940. He said that the goddess Amba sustained him. However, the findings of the investigations on him have been kept confidential.
Quote:
Prahlad Jani was born in Charada village in Mehsana district.[1] According to Jani, he left his home in Gujarat at the age of seven, and went to live in the jungle.[2]

At the age of 12, Jani underwent a spiritual experience and became a follower of the Hindu goddess Amba. From that time, he chose to dress as a female devotee of Amba, wearing a red sari-like garment, jewellery and crimson flowers in his shoulder-length hair.[2] Jani is commonly known as Mataji ("[a manifestation of] The Great Mother"). Jani believes that the goddess provides him with a liquid sustenance[2] or water which drops down through a hole in his palate, allowing him to live without food or drink.[1]

Since the 1970s, Jani has lived as a ashram (hermit) in a cave in the forest in Gujarat, awakening at 4am each day and spending most of his time meditating.[2]

He died on 26 May 2020 at Charada. He was buried at his ashram at Gabbar hill near Ambaji.[3][4]
I guess the lack of food and water finally caught up with him.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 08:41 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

While the claim he wasn't eating and drinking is obviously ridiculous, he was clearly doing something right*! 91 years is nothing to sneeze at.

* Probably Certainly not the things he'd have claimed he was doing right.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 11:42 AM   #3
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Quote:
However, the findings of the investigations on him have been kept confidential.
Confidential? did they catch him cooking a wombat ?
Old 26th May 2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by MohamedTaqi View Post
Confidential? did they catch him cooking a wombat ?
That's got to be a euphemism for something truly perverted. Sounds far worse than juicing the piglet.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:03 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

After all that time he spoils a perfect record by biting the dust? If you're going to bite the big one it ought at least to have had some flavor. Ptooey!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:37 PM   #6
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

And, I think we don't know how old he actually was. I believe that the 1929 birth year is something he claimed. They might not have been keeping decent records when he was born. I have no reason not to believe that that's his birth year, other than the fact that he is clearly untruthful about other aspects of his existence. It seems he lived a very long life and was successful at doing what he did (as opposed to what he claimed he did).

Ward
Old 27th May 2020, 07:18 AM   #7
Apathia
Philosopher

Oh. Amba, why have you forsaken him?!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 07:20 AM   #8
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
That's got to be a euphemism for something truly perverted. Sounds far worse than juicing the piglet.

Dave
Hahaha .. Actually there are being eaten (along with Kangaroos and other marsupials) by aborigines in Australia ..

I think of wombats as a funny little animal that one can't argue with, listen :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiuQ_rVM-WE
Old 28th May 2020, 12:44 AM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Hahaha .. Actually there are being eaten (along with Kangaroos and other marsupials) by aborigines in Australia ..
We certainly eat kangaroo, emu and crocodile, but I haven't heard of people eating wombat.

Kangaroo is delicious, by the way, when cooked right.
Old 28th May 2020, 01:02 AM   #10
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We certainly eat kangaroo, emu and crocodile, but I haven't heard of people eating wombat.

"Cooked right" may be the key phrase. These things are tough like anything else. Can't imagine what time it would take to make it tender.
I ran one over at night by Jeep Laredo. Really sorry, but what can you do - grey wombat on a grey bitumen - me doing 80 k/h... That poor thing got hit square on and rolled all the way under the middle of the jeep, actually lifting it a few cm up. It was dead instantly from internal injuries - but on examination I couldn't find a single broken bone or a cut in the skin. A living tank!
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 02:20 AM   #11
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Breatharian claimant Prahlad Jani has died.

I guess the lack of food and water finally caught up with him.
Thank you for the laugh!! Pity they couldn't do a post mortem to see what he last ate!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 04:36 AM   #12
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

I only meant australian aborigines, forgive my ignorance. As for food, I am not against it since kangaroos are mammals (just like sheep), we already know that mammals feel pain. I would be a hypocrite if I were against it.

Last edited by MohamedTaqi; 28th May 2020 at 04:42 AM.
MohamedTaqi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 04:48 AM   #13
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Quote:
It's all a matter of habit, if I tried it once, hell yeah, why not?

To me, kangaroos look like big hares ... (although I don't know why is that, since their evolutionary paths are different, kangaroos are closer to koalas than rabbits and hares).
Old 28th May 2020, 04:49 AM   #14
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Quote:

To me, kangaroos look like big hares ... (although I don't know why is that, since their evolutionary paths are different, kangaroos are closer to koalas than rabbits and hares).
Old 28th May 2020, 04:51 AM   #15
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Oops, I had an internet connection issue, seems like I posted the same reply twice, sorry for that.
Old 28th May 2020, 05:25 AM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Ah. A chance to educate someone on the JREF (whatever). Natural Selection actually gives you an answer to your very good question. Take a look at the Wikipedia entry for Ecological_nicheWP as a start. Species evolve to adapt to an environment.
Old 28th May 2020, 06:12 AM   #17
MohamedTaqi
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Ah. A chance to educate someone on the JREF (whatever). Natural Selection actually gives you an answer to your very good question. Take a look at the Wikipedia entry for Ecological_nicheWP as a start. Species evolve to adapt to an environment.
Thank you, I will take a look ! I think it is an example of convergent evolution. If we look at the genotypes that give rise to the very similar phenotypes, I suspect that there might be many different genotypes, although there are very similar phenotypes.

For example : an eye of a human is totally genetically different than that of an octopus, but evolution approached the exact same result (with the human eye having certain design issues).

I think the environment already (mathematically) defines the best kind of phenotypes that are optimal by virtue of its conditions. And natural selection only gradually approaches those phenotypes, and the closer a species is to one of those phenotypes, the slower it evolves towards it. And when you change the environment, it redefines new optimal forms , and then natural selection accelerates again towards these new forms (i.e punctuated equilibrium).

If you have two similar environments, they define the same set of optimal (best) phenotypes, and if we have, for the sake of argument, 3 optimal forms, and 10 species, then we would not be surprised if 2 of them approach the same phenotype, albeit through different genotypes.

But it still amazes me that kangaroos look like hares

Best !

Last edited by MohamedTaqi; 28th May 2020 at 06:15 AM.
MohamedTaqi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 11:18 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
"Cooked right" may be the key phrase. These things are tough like anything else. Can't imagine what time it would take to make it tender.
Cooking kangaroo is like cooking squid. You have to do it either very very quickly or very very slowly. Best way is to sear each side for no more than a minute on a ripping hot grill. Second best way is a v..e..r..y.. slow braise.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:02 AM   #19
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I've never eaten a kangaroo, so can't judge what "cooked right" entails. I did once partake of an old goat. This creature was an elderly milk goat who had outlived her milking days. The owner, an old friend long ago, made a goat stew. It was essentially inedible. He tried pressure cooking it for a day or so. It was still too tough to eat. He then ground it up into goatburgers, which were at least possible to swallow, but about in the same sense that you can swallow raw oats or gravel. It went down if you didn't chew it.

At a later date, in a different place, I also helped to eat the mortal remains of a superannuated ram sheep named Percy. Unfortunately Percy was a bit larger and meatier than "goaty," so although the experience was quite similar, it lasted longer.

I once read Euell Gibbons's reflections on his ability to eat almost anything, but he allowed as how he did not find wildcat easy.

I think it safe to say that there are some things for which "cooked right" is an oxymoron.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 10:46 AM   #20
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
I ran one over at night by Jeep Laredo. Really sorry, but what can you do - grey wombat on a grey bitumen - me doing 80 k/h... That poor thing got hit square on and rolled all the way under the middle of the jeep, actually lifting it a few cm up. It was dead instantly from internal injuries - but on examination I couldn't find a single broken bone or a cut in the skin. A living tank!
I've had kangaroo steaks and they were tough but edible, but they were pretty thin steaks, a bigger chunk of meat would be a good candidate for sous vide, a couple of days at about 65c and it will be fall apart tender.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:08 PM   #21
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I eat kangaroo regularly and it is very easy to cook.

As Arthwollipot says, just about a minute on each side, but also let it rest for a couple of minutes.

The meat contains very little fat, so I normally make some kind of sauce to go with it. One of my best efforts was a lilli-pilli jus.

In Australia, most butchers and many supermarkets will have kangaroo intended for human consumption. My favourite cut is the backstrap.
Old 29th May 2020, 04:21 PM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I think of wombats as a funny little animal that one can't argue with, listen :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiuQ_rVM-WE
Strange looking bat.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:02 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How does "wombat" not run afoul of the Scunthorpe problem? It's got w-o-m-b in it, for FSM's sake!
Old 31st May 2020, 07:25 PM   #24
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I once read Euell Gibbons's reflections on his ability to eat almost anything, but he allowed as how he did not find wildcat easy.
The best method is to cook them like lobster, throw them in the pot of boiling water while still alive. Of course, the wildcat will put up more of a fight.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 02:59 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
...snip...

...snip...
I have wondered what had happened to Wildcat!
Old 2nd June 2020, 07:21 AM   #26
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Dust contains a lot of skin cells, so I don't think a breatharian should be biting any of it, not if they want to remain honest
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal